Pac 12 Coaching moves could be interesting

12,159 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by remb8888
Bobodeluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I believe the Cal only fires a coach who has recently been extended.
calumnus
TandemBear said:

USABear said:

JT has some baggage. After Longshore, his QB recruits were marginal to average: Riley, Ayoob, Maynard. No opinion on whether this was failure in talent evaluation or development
The academic underachievement in his final years was dreadful
Just binged Kaepernick's docu-series. Well done and on point.

It was painful to watch the segment where he went to Cal as a last hope, only to have one coach tell another, "You didn't know we signed Riley?" And Kaepernick was told to pound sand. That was a big fail on Tedfor's part.

Oh what could have been! (And I realize this is 20/20 hindsight, but still.) Crazy how many schools passed up on a kid so intent to play QB at the highest level, he chose an uncertain future over guaranteed millions to play baseball. He passed on the MLB money AND several full ride collegiate scholarship offers. Seems like this was pretty a pretty clear demonstration of his commitment to football. Plus, he was a 4.0 GPA student! Jesus, Cal, how do you miss a kid like this from California, no less?!!! (How appropriate for him to lead his Wolfpack to victory over Cal in 2010. Ha, ha, revenge is sweet!)

Who knows what would have happened if he came to Cal? I think Nevada and the Pistol offense was perfect for him.

I find it hard to believe 12 highly rated QBs were all duds. I thought Reed had the most potential of Tedford's HS recruits. Best combination of arm, size, and athleticism. Looked like he had "it" (as did Rodgers).
socaliganbear
socaliganbear
Cal Strong!
Some strong interest in Wilcox on the UW board: https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/92304/wilcox-strong-choice-for-us#latest
HearstMining
calumnus said:

USABear said:

JT has some baggage. After Longshore, his QB recruits were marginal to average: Riley, Ayoob, Maynard. No opinion on whether this was failure in talent evaluation or development

Those were the best, the guys that started.

Longshore, Riley and Maynard have almost identical career stats. Longshore had a lot of injuries, but he also was surrounded with far more talent. In Tedford's entire time as a HC, he landed lots of Elite 11 QBs, nearly one a year, but he never developed a HS QB into an even below average NFL QB.

His great success was Rodgers. Not sure he really "developed" him. Anyone at Fresno?
I'm inclined to think that, in a way, Tedford's greatest QB success was Boller. That guy was a mess after three years under Holmoe's staff - he didn't even have a 50% completion percentage. Yet one year under Tedford and he became a first-round draft pick. I'm not equating Boller with Rodgers, just pointing out the turnaround that Tedford should get credit for.
Marty
Regardless of your feelings about Tedford's trajectory at Cal, I suspect that most Cal fans view him in a positive light overall. I've been following Cal football for over 50 years, and in that time, other than perhaps 1975, his tenure comprised Cal's most successful seasons in my lifetime. It was probably time for him to go, however I don't think any of his failings were deliberate or due to any malice or incompetence on his part. Things change, and sometimes coaches don't, at least quickly enough. Tosh's treason certainly didn't help, but Tedford hired him after all.

Tedford coming back as coach wouldn't be the worst thing, but would seem to be grasping at straws of past glories, a strategy which is seldom successful in any context. And given his health, I'd be scared that his admirable, but in hindsight, unhealthy work habits would further harm him, and I'd hate to see that.

However, if it's something he'd be interested in, I would love it if he'd consider the AD position, or an advisory AD position. I think his experience and perspective would be a breath of fresh air. And while I believe that he would respect and support all the sports in the program, at least deep down, I believe he'd be football centric in his thinking, and I'm all for that. A better football program, with a higher level of administration support would be the best thing for Cal athletics as a whole.
maxer
BearSD said:

calumnus said:

I'm OK with UW buying out Wilcox's contract. I'm OK with Wilcox getting another year.

My biggest fear is all the "talk" of Wilcox to UW causes us to give him a raise and extend his contract.
Cal isn't the only school in that vise. There may be several athletic directors maneuvered into giving their head coach an extension just so they don't have to look for another one this offseason.

Look at all the openings so far. Just in the Pac-12: UW, Wazzu, USC. Plus rumors that ASU will fire Edwards to lessen upcoming NCAA sanctions, and that Whittingham would retire after the Rose Bowl if Utah beats Oregon next weekend. Probably a few more to come around college football early next week, via firings or forced resignations. Might even be more openings if teams that already have vacancies hire current head coaches.

Looks like less movement than many of us expected in the PAC. WSU is hiring the coordinator who took over for Rolovich, ASU has (inexplicably) committed to Herm for another year at least, and it's looking like USC will hire Campbell.

Will be interesting to see if the coach-industrial complex decides to give Wilcox a complete pass on this awful season. Seems to be heading in that direction.
Finnish Oski
Quote:

I've been following Cal football for over 50 years, and in that time, other than perhaps 1975, his tenure comprised Cal's most successful seasons in my lifetime.
You should check out what we did in 1991.
CalGrad95
USABear said:

His QB recruits weren't average, Tedford failed to develop them.

Joe Ayoob - #1 JC Quarterback in the nation, MVP state championship

Brock Mansion - 4 star Elite 11 QB from an elite Texas HS

Austin Hinder - Colorado player of the year

Allan Bridgford - 4 star Elite 11 QB from Mission Viejo (Mark Sanchez & Jordan Palmer)

Total non-development for a supposed QB guru.

UrsineMaximus
TandemBear said:

USABear said:

Just binged Kaepernick's docu-series. Well done and on point.

It was painful to watch the segment where he went to Cal as a last hope, only to have one coach tell another, "You didn't know we signed Riley?" And Kaepernick was told to pound sand. That was a big fail on Tedfor's part.

Oh what could have been! (And I realize this is 20/20 hindsight, but still.) Crazy how many schools passed up on a kid so intent to play QB at the highest level, he chose an uncertain future over guaranteed millions to play baseball. He passed on the MLB money AND several full ride collegiate scholarship offers. Seems like this was pretty a pretty clear demonstration of his commitment to football. Plus, he was a 4.0 GPA student! Jesus, Cal, how do you miss a kid like this from California, no less?!!! (How appropriate for him to lead his Wolfpack to victory over Cal in 2010. Ha, ha, revenge is sweet!)
JT would have insisted that Kap stay in the pocket and benched him if he ran. IMO Kap was much better off not having JT as a coach.
BearGoggles
CalGrad95 said:

USABear said:

His QB recruits weren't average, Tedford failed to develop them.

Joe Ayoob - #1 JC Quarterback in the nation, MVP state championship

Brock Mansion - 4 star Elite 11 QB from an elite Texas HS

Austin Hinder - Colorado player of the year

Allan Bridgford - 4 star Elite 11 QB from Mission Viejo (Mark Sanchez & Jordan Palmer)

Total non-development for a supposed QB guru.

There is a bit of selection circular logic at play here. A lot of those players were highly rated precisely because Tedford the "qb guru" recruited them. Recruiting services base their ratings in significant part on the players offers.

There are coaches (Mike Leach comes to mind) who are able to identify and develop qb underrated talent. I hindsight, I'm not sure JT ability to identify talent was very good at all.
BearSD
You wanted "interesting" Pac-12 coaching moves? Here you go.
01Bear
Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

I've been following Cal football for over 50 years, and in that time, other than perhaps 1975, his tenure comprised Cal's most successful seasons in my lifetime.

That was the first time I heard of the school "California." I was channel surfing and ran across the Citrus Bowl where California was playing. I had bo idea who that was but it was interesting to see my home state represented. Little did I know how much that school would come to mean for me later.
socaliganbear
I can't believe Cal is going to give Wilcox an extension...
Golden One
Cal Strong! said:

Some strong interest in Wilcox on the UW board: https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/92304/wilcox-strong-choice-for-us#latest
Excellent! We should be so lucky if they take him.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
With all the potential Pac-12 openings, I'm wondering why Kalani Sitake's name isn't being tossed about more. Is he not kicking Pac-12 ass right now?
Strykur
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

With all the potential Pac-12 openings, I'm wondering why Kalani Sitake's name isn't being tossed about more. Is he not kicking Pac-12 ass right now?

BYU is heading for the Big-12 so they just need to pay him at this point.
01Bear
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

It's a lot easier to win when your starters are two years older and stronger than your opponents' players.
Dgoldnbaer
Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

I've been following Cal football since 1963 and besides 1975, including 1991, nothing has been more enjoyable than the Tedford era! I 'd take him back in a heartbeat. Even if as only a consultant - same role he played at WA under Chris Peterson. JT would definitely bring fans - alumni - back into CMS!
bearsandgiants
Dgoldnbaer said:

Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

I've been following Cal football since 1963 and besides 1975, including 1991, nothing has been more enjoyable than the Tedford era! I 'd take him back in a heartbeat. Even if as only a consultant - same role he played at WA under Chris Peterson. JT would definitely bring fans - alumni - back into CMS!
bearsandgiants
bearsandgiants said:

Dgoldnbaer said:

Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

Tedford is, and has been, garbage, since 2005. If we ever entertained him, or that ***** Lupoi, I would disown them and root for Stanford. **** anyone who thinks Tedford should come back to cal. I'm grateful for the half stadium.
Finnish Oski
Quote:

Tedford is, and has been, garbage, since 2005.
Let me introduce you to the 2006 team that were co-conference champions.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Since we are talking Pac 12, might as well open this up to enter carousel. Some background, you have a poor conference with a bunch of red ink athletic departments thanks to C-19l, poor attendance and weak conference share, but hell yes, everyone is going to pay Urban Meyer to leave the NFL:

Arizona: too new unless Fisch wants to allow a landing space for some new coordinators. Someone will want Jimmy Lake.

ASU: Edwards is on the hot seat. He is being investigated by the NCAA. The season has failed expectations.
The results of a newspaper poll, were very telling: 66.8% of responders voted that Edwards should be fired as ASU's coach, 11.8% voted that he should not, and 21.4% voted that his job status should be assessed at the end of the season. Defensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator Antonio Pierce apparently embed all references to AS from his internet account after being told he couldn't travel to recruit during the recent off week. If your recruiting coordinator can't recruit off campus, why is he still your recruiting coordinator. A coaching change feels inevitable the only question is who is leaving. Supposedly the AD is going in a different direction: hot young coordinator. Anyone know some? What can the pay?

UCLA: Kelly has had four years to build a program and still boasts the worst winning percentage of any coach in his school's modern era while failing to make a single bowl. Is this years' "break through" enough? Does the new AD want his own guy. Rumors last month said he is not coming back. Even with DTR leaving, this seems like an improving program, that coaches would want to coach. The AD dept. has financial problems, but they can get donors behind to pay what would be a competitive salary in the Pac 12, but not in the Big 10 or SEC money .

USC: Sheet show. I'm assuming Luke Fickle due to his relationship with the new USC AD and money demands. Those thinking top 10 hire better take a good hard look at what the last head coach was paid. Less money there that you think.

Udub: Another school with red ink. Looking for a good coach they can pay $3 million plus for? DeBoer, Boston College's Jeff Hafley, Auburn's Bryan Harsin and Wilcox are in the media. All these guys have reasons to say no and also why the fan base would object. All have Husky connections but DeBoer. A lot of the Washington media is dinging the Cal job and excusing Wilcox's record based on Cal. Maybe they pay more for a proven talent?

Oregon: the issue is does their coach stay? If not, this is a program plenty coaches would aspire to join. They can compete money wise for the next coach, but there MO haas been to elevate within or getting a promising younf coordinator like Cristobal.

OSU: Would Smith stay at his alma mater if offered big bucks? Well if its the SEC or Big 10 elite he is gone. But otherwise, the answer from what everybody is reporting is no way.

WSU: someone is inheriting a good program. Supposedly looking at coordinators: Grinch, Harrell, Moorehead, etc. and Norvell.

Colorado: sounds like Dorrall wants to clear out some of the coaches he picked in a rush last year.

Utah and Furd: expect continuity. Rumors in LA are USC is interested Whitt. I don't see it.

Cal: I think Wilcox is coming back, when all is said and done. If he leaves to take another job, I think Cal is looking like a tough sale, and I don't know this AD's approach other than it would no doubt involve a search firm, a search committee and in Cal fashion anything else bureaucratic that can be used.

So with half the head coaches changing anyone want to take a shot and list your projection of head coaches:

AZ: no change.
ASU: DeBoer or Norvell
Washington: Kelly
Wsu: Dickert
Oregon: Cristobal
OSU: Smith
Utah: Whitt
Colorado: Dorall
Cal: Wilcox
Furd: Shaw
UCLA: Matt Campbell
USC Fickle

A fun idea…

All status quo except…

ASU - Norvell
UW - Sitake
WSU - Dickert
UCLA - DeBoer
USC - Aranda
Interesting choices '71. Where does Chip end-up - back to an announcer's booth? I can see Aranda at SC - a stabilizing influence. I don't think SC typically has been smart enough to do think like that.
We are doing terrific so far, aren't we WIAF…

ASU - status quo
UW - pending
WSU - Dickert (gonna happen)
UCLA - I don't see Kelly leaving now (hammering all three CA-based conference rivals helps a lot).
USC - Riley

1 for 5 - aaargghhhhh…..

Cal Strong!
Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

Also:

10 wins in his first season at Fresno in 2017. He inherited a 1-11 team.

12 wins and a conference championship in 2018, finishing the season ranked #18. Wins over Nevada, UCLA and ASU, as well as a ranked Boise State team.
calumnus
Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

After choking against Arizona and then playing conservative, gutless football in the loss to USC with the actual championship on the line. That with over a dozen future NFL players including two future Hall of Famers on the roster. So we "tied" with USC in wins but lost to them in the head to head matchup.

Thus the list of PAC-12 champions lists USC in 2006.

It was after 2005. But it kinda confirms the Tedford lost it narrative. I didn't even mention that we went spread that year despite having perfect personnel for smash mouth, deep bomb football.
Finnish Oski
Quote:

When I check the PAC-12 champions it lists USC in 2006.
Where the hell are you checking? Cal and U$C finished with identical 7-2 conference records that year. Try looking on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pac-12_Conference_football_champions. Cal went on to batter Texas A&M, 45-10 in the Holiday Bowl to finish 10-3 overall. Do you need a link for that one too? All--in-all not a bad season under a coach who was "garbage."
BadNewsBear1
calumnus said:

Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

After choking against Arizona and then playing conservative, gutless football in the loss to USC with the actual championship on the line. That with over a dozen future NFL players including two future Hall of Famers on the roster. When I check the PAC-12 champions it lists USC in 2006.
They list USC as champs as they should. Makes absolutely no sense that Cal is considered co-champs when they lost to the team with which they had the same record. I will NEVER say we were co-champs.
71Bear
calumnus said:

Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

After choking against Arizona and then playing conservative, gutless football in the loss to USC with the actual championship on the line. That with over a dozen future NFL players including two future Hall of Famers on the roster. When I check the PAC-12 champions it lists USC in 2006.
Who are the two future Hall of Famers?
southseasbear
BadNewsBear1 said:

calumnus said:

Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

They list USC as champs as they should. Makes absolutely no sense that Cal is considered co-champs when they lost to the team with which they had the same record. I will NEVER say we were co-champs.
We were co-champions of the Pac-8 in 1975 along with Southern Branch which beat us.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
BadNewsBear1
southseasbear said:

BadNewsBear1 said:

calumnus said:

Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

We were co-champions of the Pac-8 in 1975 along with Southern Branch which beat us.
Don't agree with that either. Neither got us half a Rose Bowl bid.
Finnish Oski
Quote:

That's absolutely untrue, they list us co champs which we were. I find it unfathomable that a Cal fan would "NEVER" consider us co champs when in fact we were. What an insult to that team, one that had a helluva season and deserves to be recognized for it.
Forgive them Oski for they know not what they say.
calumnus
71Bear said:

calumnus said:

Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

Lynch and Jackson
BadNewsBear1
Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

That's absolutely untrue, they list us co champs which we were. I find it unfathomable that a Cal fan would "NEVER" consider us co champs when in fact we were. What an insult to that team, one that had a helluva season and deserves to be recognized for it.
Forgive them Oski for they know not what they say.
The conference may call it co-champs, but who did they send to the Rose Bowl in 1975 and 2006? THAT'S the real champion.

Not saying it wasn't a 'helluva season' (especially given our sorry football history)--just can't agree with calling them co-champs unless we have the best record (or beat the team we tied for the best conference record).

And it's not an insult to that team.....jeez wake up.
71Bear
calumnus said:

71Bear said:

calumnus said:

Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

Lynch and Jackson
College HOF - Jackson has a very good chance of election. Lynch, not so much….
Pro HOF - Not a chance that Jackson is elected. Lynch has a decent shot.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.