players and Wilcox

17,081 Views | 155 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
BearSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus said:

The only reason "the administration" would care about winning is pressure/encouragement from major donors. If Christ thought that winning versus losing would lead to a significant increase in donations, or if she understood that continued losing would become a financial drain on the university, then she would care. Otherwise, winning is just a "nice" thing if you get but not something she is going to worry about. In some ways our unconditional support of the team and program, and excuse making for mediocrity, just lets the administration think the stats quo works.
What is lacking is the kind of "unconditional support" that Oregon gets from Phil Knight, or Michigan State is getting from the billionaire donors who put up $95 million to lock down a coach who has only had one good season in his head coaching career.

I've said before that Cal can't expect Oregon-level results in football with Oregon State-level recruiting. We also can't expect Oregon-level facilities and budgets for head coaches and assistants with Oregon State-level donations to athletics.
philly1121
calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Not going to take sides in the Wilcox saga. I don't know whether to keep him or to boot him. I figure we would keep him just because we aren't going to pay his salary.

I will say this. Cal is unique. We are a public university. We are most often the #1 public university in America and the world. But - with that comes standards. With that comes prestige, tradition. Perhaps even an aura. All of that is academic related. And for most alumni - that is where the emphasis lies. And it feeds into my next point: will.

The big difference between all those schools listed and Cal? Will. The desire to be better in sports. And you know what? Its not there. What little will there is to be better comes with a catch: be better in sports on a discount.

I see comparisons about our program with others in the conference and how its unacceptable to be 4th or 5th in the division. But you know what? That's our level. It is. It really is. Because there is no will to be better. Yes the players have desire. Yes the coaches do to. But if we're not recruiting 4-star and up - well, these are a good bunch of kids I'm sure and they're trying their best. But their skill level isn't what it is compared to the powers in the conference.

And I'm sure Wilcox is a good guy and has the players behind him. Great! But if you're not recruiting 4 and 5 star talent, then you better be one hell of a coach to be competitive. I don't know if he's that kind of coach.

So we meander during the season. Our record of 5-7 isn't a surprise to me. Maybe we should be 6-6 because of the Arizona fiasco. But - this is where the team is. And that's where it will stay. We may get lucky with an 8-4 season here or there but that's not an expectation. No way. And there's no turning the corner with this program either. Because there's no will to confirm, celebrate and demand more from the occasional 8-4 record.

So - I'm not sure what all the whining is about. This is Cal football. We love the team, but there's no administrative will to be successful beyond the occasional bid to the Boca Raton Bowl. We shouldn't be surprised at this.

First, why would there be "administrative will" to win in major sports? They are not Cal alums, they are not die hard Cal fans. They went to school elsewhere and now work for Cal. Christ's mission is clearly on the academic side (as it should be).

The only reason "the administration" would care about winning is pressure/encouragement from major donors. If Christ thought that winning versus losing would lead to a significant increase in donations, or if she understood that continued losing would become a financial drain on the university, then she would care. Otherwise, winning is just a "nice" thing if you get but not something she is going to worry about. In some ways our unconditional support of the team and program, and excuse making for mediocrity, just lets the administration think the stats quo works.

Ok, so what have the major donors done to pressure Administration? Isn't a half occupied stadium that will take 100 years to pay off a financial drain on the university? You know - donors and Jeff Tedford campaigned for the stadium to be renovated in the belief, yes belief, that it would put us close to par with the Oregon's, UCLA's and USC's of the conference. It hasn't happened.

I'm am no sunshine pumper here. Never have been. If you argument is correct, without major dollars from donors or them pressuring Admin, as you say, then this is how its going to be. Mediocrity will be the norm. Correction. It IS the norm. I see no change in the future.
wifeisafurd
Let me respectfully suggest the problem starts at the top. An Athletic Director is evaluated by his ability to select the men's basketball coach and the football coach, for monetary reasons which should be obvious, Fox is viewed as a failure, but no doubt he will have more time to prove otherwise. The football program has the longest season record conference losing streak in the Pac. Nevertheless, this Chancellor has relieved the Athletic Director of accountability by extending his contact for an unprecedented period before he can even demonstrate his competency in the one criteria by which all competent school Presidents measure their Athletic Director. One of what is becoming several bad judgments by this Chancellor when it comes to Athletics. The next question is to what degree donors will hold this Chancellor accountable?
Chapman_is_Gone
Jesus, Christ !!!
wifeisafurd
philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Not going to take sides in the Wilcox saga. I don't know whether to keep him or to boot him. I figure we would keep him just because we aren't going to pay his salary.

I will say this. Cal is unique. We are a public university. We are most often the #1 public university in America and the world. But - with that comes standards. With that comes prestige, tradition. Perhaps even an aura. All of that is academic related. And for most alumni - that is where the emphasis lies. And it feeds into my next point: will.

The big difference between all those schools listed and Cal? Will. The desire to be better in sports. And you know what? Its not there. What little will there is to be better comes with a catch: be better in sports on a discount.

I see comparisons about our program with others in the conference and how its unacceptable to be 4th or 5th in the division. But you know what? That's our level. It is. It really is. Because there is no will to be better. Yes the players have desire. Yes the coaches do to. But if we're not recruiting 4-star and up - well, these are a good bunch of kids I'm sure and they're trying their best. But their skill level isn't what it is compared to the powers in the conference.

And I'm sure Wilcox is a good guy and has the players behind him. Great! But if you're not recruiting 4 and 5 star talent, then you better be one hell of a coach to be competitive. I don't know if he's that kind of coach.

So we meander during the season. Our record of 5-7 isn't a surprise to me. Maybe we should be 6-6 because of the Arizona fiasco. But - this is where the team is. And that's where it will stay. We may get lucky with an 8-4 season here or there but that's not an expectation. No way. And there's no turning the corner with this program either. Because there's no will to confirm, celebrate and demand more from the occasional 8-4 record.

So - I'm not sure what all the whining is about. This is Cal football. We love the team, but there's no administrative will to be successful beyond the occasional bid to the Boca Raton Bowl. We shouldn't be surprised at this.

First, why would there be "administrative will" to win in major sports? They are not Cal alums, they are not die hard Cal fans. They went to school elsewhere and now work for Cal. Christ's mission is clearly on the academic side (as it should be).

Ok, so what have the major donors done to pressure Administration? Isn't a half occupied stadium that will take 100 years to pay off a financial drain on the university? You know - donors and Jeff Tedford campaigned for the stadium to be renovated in the belief, yes belief, that it would put us close to par with the Oregon's, UCLA's and USC's of the conference. It hasn't happened.

I'm am no sunshine pumper here. Never have been. If you argument is correct, without major dollars from donors or them pressuring Admin, as you say, then this is how its going to be. Mediocrity will be the norm. Correcation. It IS the norm. I see no change in the future.
Let me see if I can address some the misstatements in this missive.

Jeff Tedford and donors campaigned for the SAHPC for which there was a substantial commitment of funds. Their view was they needed advance trianing facilities to compete. The football program and athletic department was actively involved in the planning of the SAHPC, and, in fact, had completed significant fundraising towards the construction of the SAHPC.

Cal, or let's call it Berkeley in the dichotomous nomenclature of the day, had a problem because the stadium was non-complaint with earthquake standards, and candidly was outdated (recall the bathroom situation for example). So Berkley trotted out Tedford to appeal to fans, but the hard, cold reality was there really was little interest in funding what Berkeley was selling.

The financial plan for funding the stadium remodel came from the Cal CFO (now UC CFO) and was championed by the then Chancellor, who tried to sell the concept to donors, including buying club seats in at what even in the inflationary world of the Bay Area, absurdly over-market prices for the best seats. Berkley, then was stupid enough to have Cal faculty members, rather than an independent engineering firm, design an elegant, but completely irrationally costly earthquake retrofit. Berkeley then was stupid enough to have Berkeley manage the project resulting in massive cost overruns, something Berkley is very good at when it attempts to manage its own real estate projects rather than rely on films that do this for a living.

The ironic thing about that while there are many athletic facilities in the UC system, and facilities and buildings in general, but only one structure where any cost of earthquake retrofit was not borne by UC - Memorial Stadium. Why? Because they thought they could stick it to donors. And years later of debt service payments, a new Chancellor arrives on the scene who needs land for dorms and other academic related real estate projects on a campus way too small to accommodate such projects. So she exchanges otherwise dedicated property for athletics for the remaining debt related to retrofit (which still is a remarkably large amount) in a paper transaction. The Cal Athletic Dept. was not reimbursed for past payments, and thus remain the only earthquake retrofit expenses to ever not be funded by UC. And with the exchange, UC is back to funding the earthquake retrofit costs

Then there is the 100 years payoff let's make it up crap language. The bonds that funded the stadium remodel have remaining terms of less that 40 years (they have various terms). The Cal Athletic Department long term capital fund presently is generating sufficient funds to make the debt service. You can look it all up on the SEC EDGAR system as the bonds were publicly issued. The only financial drain I see is that Cal didn't keep its stadium facility up, and now must dedicate a portion of its football revenue to fund the remaining debt service, rather than to pay coaches or whatever.

Which gets us to why must a university normally do such things such as earthquake retrofits on its facilities? Well the State actually requires earthquake retrofits fo all public facilities. The State, in fact, gives UC and other State agencies money to do this, though I imagine the Memorial retrofit is covered to some degree by UC funds. Is this a finical burden? I suppose so, but it is one the legislature has chosen to burden the taxpayers of California with. They want the public is safe public buildings -go figure. But what the freaking heck this should have to do with funding football stadiums is beyond me, but sure speaks to me as athletes being second class citizens at Cal,.

All that said, your second paragraph probably is dead on, even if your history is not.

One other thing because it is coming, Berkley had to pay fo the Cal Athletic Department shortfalls. If you take away the funding of 600 plus students by the athletic department and the all the "transfer payments" the athletic department makes to fund the Cal bureaucracy, the Athletic Department is a net revenue producer, which is why the AD and revenue coaches make so much money, and guys that run cost centers, like say the History Department (I like history, but had to chose something), do not.

71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

Let me respectfully suggest the problem starts at the top. An Athletic Director is evaluated by his ability to select the men's basketball coach and the football coach, for monetary reasons which should be obvious, Fox is viewed as a failure, but no doubt he will have more time to prove otherwise. The football program has the longest season record conference losing streak in the Pac. Nevertheless, this Chancellor has relieved the Athletic Director of accountability by extending his contact for an unprecedented period before he can even demonstrate his competency in the one criteria by which all competent school Presidents measure their Athletic Director. One of what is becoming several bad judgments by this Chancellor when it comes to Athletics. The next question is to what degree donors will hold this Chancellor accountable?
And you know the answer to that question, wifes………….
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

I'm am no sunshine pumper here. Never have been. If you argument is correct, without major dollars from donors or them pressuring Admin, as you say, then this is how its going to be. Mediocrity will be the norm. Correcation. It IS the norm. I see no change in the future.

Jeff Tedford and donors campaigned for the SAHPC for which there was a substantial commitment of funds. Their view was they needed advance trianing facilities to compete. The football program was actively involved in the palming of the SAHPC and in fact had completed significant fundraising towards the construction of the SAHPC.

Cal, or let's call it Berkeley in the dichotomous nomenclature of the day, had a problem because the stadium was non-complaint with earthquake standards, and candidly was outdated (recall the bathroom situation for example). So Berkley trotted out Tedford to appeal to fans, but the hard, cold reality was there really was little interest in funding what Berkeley was selling.

The financial plan for funding the stadium remodel came from the Cal CFO (now UC CFO) and was championed by the then Chancellor, who tried to sell the concept to donors, including buying club seats in at what even in the inflationary world of the Bay Area, absurdly over-market prices for the best seats. Berkley, then was stupid enough to have Cal faculty members, rather than an independent engineering firm, design an elegant, but completely irrationally costly earthquake retrofit. Berkeley then was stupid enough to have Berkeley manage the project resulting in massive cost overruns, something Berkley is very good at when it attempts to manage its own real estate projects rather than rely on films that do this for a living.

The ironic thing about that while there are many athletic facilities in the UC system, and facilities and buildings in general, but only one structure where any cost of earthquake retrofit was not borne by UC - Memorial Stadium. Why? Because they thought they could stick it to donors. And years later of debt service payments, a new Chancellor arrives on the scene who needs land for dorms and other academic related real estate projects on a campus way too small to accommodate such projects. So she exchanges otherwise dedicated property for athletics for the remaining debt related to retrofit (which still is a remarkably large amount) in a paper transaction. The Cal Athletic Dept. was not reimbursed for past payments, and thus the only earthquake retrofit expenses to ever not be funded by UC. And UC is back to funding the earthquake retrofit costs

Then there is the 100 years payoff let's make it up crap language. The bonds that funded the stadium remodel have remaining terms of less that 40 years (they have various terms). The Cal Athletic Department long term capital fund presently is generating sufficient funds to make the debt service. You can look it all up on the SEC EDGAR system as the bonds were publicly issued. The only financial drain I see is that Cal didn't keep its stadium facility up, and now must dedicate a portion of its football revenue to fund the remaining debt service, rather than to pay coaches or whatever.

Which gets us to why must a university normally do such things such as earthquake retrofits on its facilities? Well the State actually requires earthquake retrofits fo all public facilities. The State, in fact, gives UC and other State agencies money to do this, though I imagine the Memorial retrofit is covered to some degree by UC funds. Is this a finical burden? I suppose so, but it is one the legislature has chosen to burden the taxpayers of California with. They want the public is safe public buildings -go figure. But what the freaking heck this should have to do with funding football stadiums is beyond me, but sure speaks to me as athletes being second class citizens at Cal,.

All that said, your second paragraph probably is dead on, even if your history is not.

Meanwhile, Miami's UHealth System generated revenues in excess of expenses totaling $400 million last year, a portion of which is being used to fund the Cristobal contract/buyout.

As Mark Felt once, so famously, said, "Follow the money"…..
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Jeff Tedford and donors campaigned for the SAHPC for which there was a substantial commitment of funds. Their view was they needed advance trianing facilities to compete. The football program was actively involved in the palming of the SAHPC and in fact had completed significant fundraising towards the construction of the SAHPC.

The ironic thing about that while there are many athletic facilities in the UC system, and facilities and buildings in general, but only one structure where any cost of earthquake retrofit was not borne by UC - Memorial Stadium. Why? Because they thought they could stick it to donors. And years later of debt service payments, a new Chancellor arrives on the scene who needs land for dorms and other academic related real estate projects on a campus way too small to accommodate such projects. So she exchanges otherwise dedicated property for athletics for the remaining debt related to retrofit (which still is a remarkably large amount) in a paper transaction. The Cal Athletic Dept. was not reimbursed for past payments, and thus the only earthquake retrofit expenses to ever not be funded by UC. And UC is back to funding the earthquake retrofit costs

Meanwhile, Miami's UHealth System generated revenues in excess of expenses totaling $400 million last year, a portion of which is being used to fund the Cristobal contract/buyout.

So the reason that Cal doesn't have a medical school is (hint: it has to do with a faculty senate vote and the view that medical professionals are not real academics)? Cal often is its own worse enemy.

Cal and Miami, which is funding huge buy-outs, are like polar opposites, when it comes to funding athletics. Stratospheric coaching salaries seem to be the norm at Miami, and I don't know enough about Miami's revenue stream to see that is justified. No one would say Cal plays in the same sand box, or should for that matter.
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

So I assume you don't take umbrage with the thought process, but think that neither I nor others here will like the answer to the question?
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

So I assume you don't take umbrage with the thought process, but think that neither I nor others here will like the answer to the question?
I have posted far too many words on this topic. I think my position is clear. Your post detailed the current situation articulately….

As for the the answer to the question - I think 90% of the posters here unhappily know the answer: very few……
calumnus
wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

So the reason that Cal doesn't have a medical school is (hint: it has to do with a faculty senate vote and the view that medical professionals are not real academics)? Cal often is its own worse enemy.

Cal and Miami, which is funding huge buy-outs, are like polar opposites, when it comes to funding athletics. Stratospheric coaching salaries seem to be the norm at Miami, and I don't know enough about Miami's revenue stream to see that is justified. No one would say Cal plays in the same sand box, or should for that matter.

The reason Cal doesn't have a medical school is because that function exists at nearby UCSF. There have been proposals to combine the two, but all of the land and much of the endowment was given conditioned on its use as/for a medical school in San Francisco. The Regents are the ones who voted against merging and opposed opening a redundant medical school in Berkeley.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Actually, this is the first huge athletic coaching contract awarded by Miami. To the dismay of their alums, they have long been known as a rather frugal operation. This opening of the wallet signals a significant change in their approach. The next shoe to fall will be a very big contract to lure Clemson's AD, Dan Radakovich to take the vacant AD job at Miami. The Hurricanes wants to be a player again and is willing to spend to get where they want to go….
calumnus
wifeisafurd said:

Agreed. Knowlton was a horrible choice and his unprecedented 8 year extension was unconscionable.
The choice now is:
1) sit by and watch the slow motion destruction of Cal football and basketball over the next 8 years.
2) powerful donors can exert pressure on Knowlton. While he is not a strong decisive leader with a vision, at least he is not an arrogant jerk like some ADs in the past. He is pliable and will likely welcome a strong hand taking over the process. We just need someone smart, wealthy, connected to the sports world and knowledgeable about football and basketball to take the lead.
wifeisafurd
calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

The reason Cal doesn't have a medical school is because that function exists at nearby UCSF. There have been proposals to combine the two, but all of the land and much of the endowment was given conditioned on its use as/for a medical school in San Francisco. The Regents are the ones who voted against merging and opposed opening a redundant medical school in Berkeley.
That certainly is true today. Originally the Cal faculty rejected the memorial from the State and it went down to SF.
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Actually, this is the first huge athletic coaching contract awarded by Miami. To the dismay of their alums, they have long been known as a rather frugal operation. This opening of the wallet signals a significant change in their approach. The next shoe to fall will be a very big contract to lure Clemson's AD, Dan Radakovich to take the vacant AD job at Miami. The Hurricanes wants to be a player again and is willing to spend to get where they want to go….
Don't think that is accurate:

Miami Herald: "The school announced Diaz's hiring from Temple on Dec. 30, 2018. It said on the tax return that Diaz had total compensation of nearly $9.7 million for 2019, nearly $9.3 million of which was categorized as reportable compensation actually paid to Diaz in 2019."

$8 million for Diaz in severance
$8 million for Oregon to buy out Christobal
$8 millon per year for Christobal

This doesn't sound at all like what Cal does.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Don't think that is accurate:

Miami Herald: "The school announced Diaz's hiring from Temple on Dec. 30, 2018. It said on the tax return that Diaz had total compensation of nearly $9.7 million for 2019, nearly $9.3 million of which was categorized as reportable compensation actually paid to Diaz in 2019."

$8 million for Diaz in severance
$8 million for Oregon to buy out Christobal
$8 millon per year for Christobal

This doesn't sound at all like what Cal does.
Diaz had two years left on his deal at $4 million/year. The 2019 figure must have included sign-on bonus money because his annual compensation was modest (by today's standards).

Here is the quote from The Athletic…

"Until recently, Miami's administration had been unwilling to allocate funds to the athletic department, instead leaving it to cover all expenses on its own. But the success of Miami's UHealth system which made more than than $400 million in profits last year and promises from big-time boosters and donors to back upgrades at Miami, changed the school's stance."
calumnus
wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

That certainly is true today. Originally the Cal faculty rejected the memorial from the State and it went down to SF.

Here is the history:
https://www.ucsf.edu/about/history-1
Big C

Just build another medical school. (I mean, after the basketball practice facility, of course.) An underpublicized reason that health care costs so much is that doctors make a boatload of money. Increase the supply and the price for them goes down. Econ 1 (Wheeler Aud.) Plus nurses. We always need more nurses.
82gradDLSdad
4thGenCal said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

4thGenCal said:

Big Dog said:

Alkiadt said:

4thGenCal said:

71Bear said:

3146gabby said:

As to all 3 communities - optimists, pessimists, realists - it always seems a zero sum game in the analysis.

Reality is not what we need, but what is realistic in getting those needs filled.

There are serious extant limitations for football.e.g., narrowness in recruiting because of academic requirements, lack of historic success, too frequent turnover in coaches, etc. etc.

All of which has limited who would come here to coach. We are not going to get a nick saban.

I see significantly more plusses in Wilcox than negatives especially when factoring in what is reality right now. That the players buy in, don't give up, understand the many values of playing FB @ an academic institution like Cal, respond to adversity, and extol what is a one for all mentality, is big for me. But that is just me.

First of all, the academic issue is absolute bull****. Stanford has commitments from 22 players, including 8 four stars and currently ranks 11th in the country. Cal has commitments from 10 players, including zero four stars and ranks 65th in the country. Source: 247 Sports. Note: I understand the size of a class varies due to availability of scholarships. However, the quality is something that shouldn't vary. It should always be stellar.

There is absolutely no reason that Cal cannot sign a Top 20 class every year, occasionally breaking into the Top Ten depending on the strength of the California-based class. If Stanford can sign a strong class, so can Cal. Period.

Historic success, particularly in the recent past, is a very big hurdle. That can be addressed by finding a "pied piper" type of recruit. Russell White is an excellent example of a recruit who caused others to think, "why not?" He led a resurgence of Cal football.

Turnover of coaches - absolutely an issue. Cal has long been known as the "graveyard of coaches". The key is hiring a guy who wants to be at Cal, understands the relationship of athletics to other departments within the campus community, and is an able coach.

While I have some significant concerns about Wilcox, I fully support bringing him back next year. My biggest concerns are whether he can bring in the talent necessary to compete for a conference championship and whether he can hire assistants who are capable of executing a complex game plan and motivating players to reach their maximum potential, this means hiring from a pool that includes only young, innovative coaches (retreads need not apply). At this time, I would not consider extending his contract. If he can produce an eight win season in 2022, that will be a very good sign given the talent that will be available.

Academic restrictions are real and impact the recruiting pool Cal can go after - its a simple fact. There are VERY few exceptions made for a sub 3.0 Gpa and those include a gaunlet for the prospective student/athlete to go thru (including facing a panel of administrators/professor/compliance/AD etc to address potential academic course load concerns etc). Yes that Stanford pulls in high level Student athletes and that is the sole exception (relative to competitive D1 programs) Stanford is simply a different playing field in many ways. Cal very rarely wins out head to head regardless of the situation. The other issues not mentioned where Cal is woefully behind the Top 25 schools and the majority of conference members, is housing ( difficult to find close to campus - 10 players housed 15 minutes away off campus and in tough areas due to lower cost. Overall quality of housing is below average and very expensive for a schlorship player receiving $1700/month - the basketball model for Cal is unique (in that a few passionate alums stepped up to provide quality close to campus housing at a affordable cost). Second issue is the salaries for All of the assistants and Especially the lower level assistant recruiting/strength/support coaches, is extremely low relative to our conference members. IE SC pays $175k to a support coach that Cal for the same position, is able to pay just $75K to. Yes there recently was 8 generous Bear Backers who have put together an annual bump of $250K (each of next 3 seasons) toward the Assistant coaches pool and that helps certainly - but again the delta between Cal and the majority of schools is much greater than is commonly known.
This is 100% dead on correct.

Almost. In addition to Stanford, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Duke, and Vandy (and a few others) also pull in high level student athletes. But that just reinforces the point: there aint' that many high level student footballers to go around. Moreover, the Stanford's of the world have extremely generous $$ aid available to all students, including D1 schollies. Michigan is similar to Cal academically; Ann Arbor is the quintessential college town and the Big House....
So true - Additionally, Stanford assistant coaches have their housing costs covered - the pay scale is also higher than Cal's. The posters who think academic standards that Cal enforces are "excuses" really are not informed on the available and eligible recruiting pool for Cal. I found out first hand when I passed on several local CCS football players names/articles and even coaches contact info - over the past 5 seasons, only to be told each time "excellent player and we would love to have him, but no chance of being academically accepted". Yes lightening can happen once every 5- 7 years+- to get a academically sound high level prospect and local who wants to play close to home, but that is the exception not the rule. Cal cannot get admitted the players that the vast majority of top level programs can. Wish the administration would do what Colorado Chancellor agreed to do 7 seasons ago and approved 6 players who were below the in place admission gpa/score bar. Two seasons later the Buffs were in the conference title game. Yes it means providing extra resources for academic tutoring/mentoring and adherence to class attendence. Yes a few may not make it, but with the right support system many will and it will benefit their life development.

I recently read here that 25% of the recruiting class is allowed to be below the 3.0 threshold, and while that 25% figure may be lower than our university peers who face similar threshold situations, it at least is a modest compromise. Is that not accurate?
Its not "25%"- its well below that # of players and its a case by case review - Very difficult lengthy/process to gain admittance for less than 3.0 gpa/lower test scores. Wish it was otherwise.

Well, we've eliminated the lower test score excuse.
philly1121
wifeisafurd said:

philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Jeff Tedford and donors campaigned for the SAHPC for which there was a substantial commitment of funds. Their view was they needed advance trianing facilities to compete. The football program and athletic department was actively involved in the planning of the SAHPC, and, in fact, had completed significant fundraising towards the construction of the SAHPC.

The ironic thing about that while there are many athletic facilities in the UC system, and facilities and buildings in general, but only one structure where any cost of earthquake retrofit was not borne by UC - Memorial Stadium. Why? Because they thought they could stick it to donors. And years later of debt service payments, a new Chancellor arrives on the scene who needs land for dorms and other academic related real estate projects on a campus way too small to accommodate such projects. So she exchanges otherwise dedicated property for athletics for the remaining debt related to retrofit (which still is a remarkably large amount) in a paper transaction. The Cal Athletic Dept. was not reimbursed for past payments, and thus remain the only earthquake retrofit expenses to ever not be funded by UC. And with the exchange, UC is back to funding the earthquake retrofit costs

One other thing because it is coming, Berkley had to pay fo the Cal Athletic Department shortfalls. If you take away the funding of 600 plus students by the athletic department and the all the "transfer payments" the athletic department makes to fund the Cal bureaucracy, the Athletic Department is a net revenue producer, which is why the AD and revenue coaches make so much money, and guys that run cost centers, like say the History Department (I like history, but had to chose something), do not.

Wifes....call it 40 years. Call it 100. You're missing the point. This was sold to us in the form of necessity. Now you can call it the SAHPC, the retrofit, the earthquake proofing - or separate them out - whatever. This was a package and was sold as a necessity for the performance of our "student athletes" (football team) to be competitive in the conference. And i remember quite vividly on this board the arguments for this upgrade. As far as the necessity of earthquake proofing the place? Well, its a state building. What the heck are they supposed to do? Let the West faade of the stadium detach? You can argue whether the business model to pay for the SAHPC or the earthquake proofing was sound but it goes away from my larger point. This was promised to make us more competitive and it hasn't.

Also - the argument i'm reading now is that the donors must pressure Admin to have the will to make the program better. But in your missive you write that UC "stuck it to donors" to pay for the retrofit. So let me ask you as a point of logic - why would there be no expectation on the part of football or UC donors to NOT pay for this retrofit? This isn't some lecture hall or science lab. This is a football stadium. In short, it is NOT necessary. So, I ask again, why would there be no expectation that UC Admin would not want donors who want football, to, in part, pay for this upgrade? The UC likely said, "well, we've got this football team that is doing well, we need to get them a better place to train and condition, a part of a stadium that is moving away from the other half. If they (donors and fans) want to improve this place, let's let them pay for it." I'm not quite sure how anyone would have expected otherwise.

Lastly, this whole larger argument rests again on the premise that we are so close to being competitive with the big dogs. If we just spend more money, upgrade facilities, get to that 6-6 bowl game - recruits will come. Not gonna happen. I don't know what the answer is. But I do know that if you think you got stuck with the bill for the retrofit, brother, you are gonna have to fork over ALOT more money for us to be competitive and cover expenses that are probably not directly associated with the football team. Are you or others willing to do that OR withhold donations to pressure Admin to pay closer attention to athletics? Good discussion.
71Bear
Big C said:

Just build another medical school. (I mean, after the basketball practice facility, of course.) An underpublicized reason that health care costs so much is that doctors make a boatload of money. Increase the supply and the price for them goes down. Econ 1 (Wheeler Aud.) Plus nurses. We always need more nurses.
Health care costs a lot because of the incredible inefficiency that has been built into the process. Yes, we need more medical professionals. However, that will not resolve the efficiency issue. That can only be addressed by a complete overhaul of the delivery system.

wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

Big C said:

Health care costs a lot because of the incredible inefficiency that has been built into the process. Yes, we need more medical professionals. However, that will not resolve the efficiency issue. That can only be addressed by a complete overhaul of the delivery system.

The discussion on health care is not a two or three sentence discussion gentlemen, and I'm not sure it germane to this site.
Bobodeluxe
philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

I'm am no sunshine pumper here. Never have been. If you argument is correct, without major dollars from donors or them pressuring Admin, as you say, then this is how its going to be. Mediocrity will be the norm. Correction. It IS the norm. I see no change in the future.
Well, yeah.
wifeisafurd
philly1121 said:

wifeisafurd said:

philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Wifes....call it 40 years. Call it 100. You're missing the point. This was sold to us in the form of necessity. Now you can call it the SAHPC, the retrofit, the earthquake proofing - or separate them out - whatever. This was a package and was sold as a necessity for the performance of our "student athletes" (football team) to be competitive in the conference. And i remember quite vividly on this board the arguments for this upgrade. As far as the necessity of earthquake proofing the place? Well, its a state building. What the heck are they supposed to do? Let the West faade of the stadium detach? You can argue whether the business model to pay for the SAHPC or the earthquake proofing was sound but it goes away from my larger point. This was promised to make us more competitive and it hasn't.

Also - the argument i'm reading now is that the donors must pressure Admin to have the will to make the program better. But in your missive you write that UC "stuck it to donors" to pay for the retrofit. So let me ask you as a point of logic - why would there be no expectation on the part of football or UC donors to NOT pay for this retrofit? This isn't some lecture hall or science lab. This is a football stadium. In short, it is NOT necessary. So, I ask again, why would there be no expectation that UC Admin would not want donors who want football, to, in part, pay for this upgrade? The UC likely said, "well, we've got this football team that is doing well, we need to get them a better place to train and condition, a part of a stadium that is moving away from the other half. If they (donors and fans) want to improve this place, let's let them pay for it." I'm not quite sure how anyone would have expected otherwise.

Lastly, this whole larger argument rests again on the premise that we are so close to being competitive with the big dogs. If we just spend more money, upgrade facilities, get to that 6-6 bowl game - recruits will come. Not gonna happen. I don't know what the answer is. But I do know that if you think you got stuck with the bill for the retrofit, brother, you are gonna have to fork over ALOT more money for us to be competitive and cover expenses that are probably not directly associated with the football team. Are you or others willing to do that OR withhold donations to pressure Admin to pay closer attention to athletics? Good discussion.
Your facts continue to be wrong and you are conflating projects.

Just to be indicative that you are throwing stuff out, that there are bonds that are 40 years left with different maturity not only means that the payoff is not 100 years, but is also means a good portion of the the debf is gone by the last bond is paid. The average pay out will far less than 40 years.

I'm having difficulty with the argument that earthquake retrofitting or the stadium improvement was sold as a necessity for the football program or athletes, because it is non-sensical, it is untrue, and it doesn't fit the time line. What Tedford demanded as part of his contract is that Cal would agree to upgrade its training facility. Funds were raised for that and based on the original budget they were almost there (around $60 plus million for what was a projected $80 million project). Tedford sold new training facilities were coming to his players and had great recruiting classes. The the facilities were delayed because Berkley once again acted like a bunch of ******* with Berkley, and the recruits started to question whether the new facilities were coming. Not that you get this unless you practice land use, but the whole CEQA fight was about the SAHPC and no one was talking about the stadium, which was yet to even be subject to environmental review. In other words, not only was the stadium not part of SAHPC, Berkley the school, told the court and the world in its CEQA document and filing with the court, that the stadium was a separate project and would be dealt with later, if not at all. The players didn't have to sit on old benches like the fans - but they did work out and meet in ancient facilities, and that did matter given what Oregon and other schools did with there training facilities. They didn't give a **** about the stadium remodel. The premise that was sold too you as one package defies logic and was legally wrong:

1) the players and JT were focused on the training facilities only;
2 Fund raising was focused on the training facilities at the time the SAHPC was constructed; and
3) Legally the two projects were distinct projects and moving forward only the SAHPC had been approved

If Cal still had ancient training facilities, they're likely would never be a competitive program. JT's recruiting suffered from the delay and institutional problems that came with the CEQA litigation and I'm not sure it ever recovered. Whispers came about the Berkeley nut jobs will destroy the football programs. Whispers there was no institutional support. Recruiting is a contact sport. But what also happened is everyone caught on while JT was getting great recruiting classes promising great facilities, and made plans to upgrade their facilities in order to stay competitive. Thus, going forward Cal stayed even with its competition by the new training facilities.

In September 2008 the court injunction was lifted, the protesters came down, and construction of the athletic training center began and the SAHPC was finished. Years later, on January 19, 2010, the UC Board of Regents approved the Memorial retrofit and renovation. It was then the Berkeley CFO came out with the university incurring a controversial $445 million of debt, which it planned to finance with the sale of special stadium seats in the Endowment Seating Program. Berkley may have sold you that the stadium remodel and funding plan was for a competitive football program if you were gullible to believe that especially with the SAHPC basics completed, but JT and football team were looking for better facilities that were supposed to cost $80 million (you can read my post above about overruns). People that bought into ESP, which is what was designed to pay for the debt service did so for many reasons: prestige, amenities like food and booze, better seat locations, exclusivity , etc.

The retrofit argument also defies logic. Cal and other UC's paid to retrofit playhouses, places were concerts were performed by non-students, faculty centers, a flippen hotel in the middle of a campus, alumni centers, medical facilities, sports facilities (including intramural, basketball, baseball, aquatics, etc.), student housing, museums, students, movie theaters, campus restaurants, a flipping sculpture garden, student activities center, a chancellor's residence, a convocation center, and a who lot of other stuff set forth in bond financing. So when I look at this list and read you're arguments what you're saying is that all this other crap belongs on campus and shuold be paid for, but we make football play for retrofits because Cal (and UCLA) football makes money. College athletics programs represent a multibillion dollar industry and are integrally linked to school branding and reputation. And while individual sports programs -- even in Division I schools -- don't necessarily turn a profit, the many other benefits to colleges have far-reaching implications for students, faculty and community. Athletics programs drive enrollment and heighten college profiles, often resulting in financial windfalls for the institutions that happen far away from fields and arenas. Just like cultural stuff, where schools have building for plays, music acts, etc. and retro fit those buildings because someone thinks while that doesn't turn a profit, it benefits UC schools that have far-reaching implications for students, faculty and community. Explain to me otherwise why a football field at UC Davis gets its retofit paid by UC and Cal doesn't?

wifeisafurd
philly1121 said:

This is different than a discussion of revisionist history on what Cal did in the past. I would not link your last paragraph that has a lot to it, to the other commentary.

The economics are that football puts a lot of media rights, ticket sales, branding and direct program donations total millions of dollars into schools, and has some impact on campus donations (good luck finding numbers). It funds room and board for a lot of bodies that otherwise have to be paid for by the school. UCLA researches found that economic considerations -- affordability of college and job prospects post-college -- are of utmost importance in choosing a college. However, the survey also indicated that some 40 percent of students chose their college partly for its social life and 30 percent planned on playing intramural sports. Schools with large athletic programs are places of social activity. Many, if not most. students not only want a college education -- they want the college experience. (A lot of people want just the opposite; hence, the desirability for small, private schools). So a Chancellor who really otherwise could care less about sports is willing to spend millions of donor money on football coaches and facilities. I see stadium upgrades as a different discussion entirely, as is NIL, and some other similar items. But the basic premise at Cal is we are at the lower end given Bay Area costs on salary and have good on training facilities for most athletes. Cal would likely have to up salaries to get at experienced coach and staff to take on what is perceived in the media as a bad job, and that seems to me to be a good investment.
I'm willing to concede Cal can't play in the same playground on salaries currently as the SEC programs and other elite programs.

What facilities need upgrading and why? I can see wanting to fund recruiting personnel as more important. It is more about manage of your assets. This is not pre-JT when Cal was decades behind. The facilities are good. It is a manner of properly managing the assets. I'm willing to concede what I think you are saying which is that financial pressures are making college football far less competitive. For better or worse you seem to be right. But if Furd can go to Rose Bowls, so can Cal. Maybe not with this administration, but eventually. I heard 100 is the new 64.
philly1121
wifeisafurd said:

philly1121 said:

wifeisafurd said:

philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Just to be indicative that you are throwing stuff out, that there are bonds that are 40 years left with different maturity not only means that the payoff is not 100 years, but is also means a good portion of the the debf is gone by the last bond is paid. The average pay out will far less than 40 years.

I'm having difficulty with the argument that earthquake retrofitting or the stadium improvement was sold as a necessity for the football program or athletes, because it is non-sensical, it is untrue, and it doesn't fit the time line. What Tedford demanded as part of his contract is that Cal would agree to upgrade its training facility. Funds were raised for that and based on the original budget they were almost there (around $60 plus million for what was a projected $80 million project). Tedford sold new training facilities were coming to his players and had great recruiting classes. The the facilities were delayed because Berkley once again acted like a bunch of ******* with Berkley, and the recruits started to question whether the new facilities were coming. Not that you get this unless you practice land use, but the whole CEQA fight was about the SAHPC and no one was talking about the stadium, which was yet to even be subject to environmental review. In other words, not only was the stadium not part of SAHPC, Berkley the school, told the court and the world in its CEQA document and filing with the court, that the stadium was a separate project and would be dealt with later, if not at all. The players didn't have to sit on old benches like the fans - but they did work out and meet in ancient facilities, and that did matter given what Oregon and other schools did with there training facilities. They didn't give a **** about the stadium remodel. The premise that was sold too you as one package defies logic and was legally wrong:

2 Fund raising was focused on the training facilities at the time the SAHPC was constructed; and
3) Legally the two projects were distinct projects and moving forward only the SAHPC had been approved

If Cal still had ancient training facilities, they're likely would never be a competitive program. JT's recruiting suffered from the delay and institutional problems that came with the CEQA litigation and I'm not sure it ever recovered. Whispers came about the Berkeley nut jobs will destroy the football programs. Whispers there was no institutional support. Recruiting is a contact sport. But what also happened is everyone caught on while JT was getting great recruiting classes promising great facilities, and made plans to upgrade their facilities in order to stay competitive. Thus, going forward Cal stayed even with its competition by the new training facilities.

In September 2008 the court injunction was lifted, the protesters came down, and construction of the athletic training center began and the SAHPC was finished. Years later, on January 19, 2010, the UC Board of Regents approved the Memorial retrofit and renovation. It was then the Berkeley CFO came out with the university incurring a controversial $445 million of debt, which it planned to finance with the sale of special stadium seats in the Endowment Seating Program. Berkley may have sold you that the stadium remodel and funding plan was for a competitive football program if you were gullible to believe that especially with the SAHPC basics completed, but JT and football team were looking for better facilities that were supposed to cost $80 million (you can read my post above about overruns). People that bought into ESP, which is what was designed to pay for the debt service did so for many reasons: prestige, amenities like food and booze, better seat locations, exclusivity , etc.

The retrofit argument also defies logic. Cal and other UC's paid to retrofit playhouses, places were concerts were performed by non-students, faculty centers, a flippen hotel in the middle of a campus, alumni centers, medical facilities, sports facilities (including intramural, basketball, baseball, aquatics, etc.), student housing, museums, students, movie theaters, campus restaurants, a flipping sculpture garden, student activities center, a chancellor's residence, a convocation center, and a who lot of other stuff set forth in bond financing. So when I look at this list and read you're arguments what you're saying is that all this other crap belongs on campus and shuold be paid for, but we make football play for retrofits because Cal (and UCLA) football makes money. College athletics programs represent a multibillion dollar industry and are integrally linked to school branding and reputation. And while individual sports programs -- even in Division I schools -- don't necessarily turn a profit, the many other benefits to colleges have far-reaching implications for students, faculty and community. Athletics programs drive enrollment and heighten college profiles, often resulting in financial windfalls for the institutions that happen far away from fields and arenas. Just like cultural stuff, where schools have building for plays, music acts, etc. and retro fit those buildings because someone thinks while that doesn't turn a profit, it benefits UC schools that have far-reaching implications for students, faculty and community. Explain to me otherwise why a football field at UC Davis gets its retofit paid by UC and Cal doesn't?

Again, you're completely missing the point. The level of detail and minutia that you know about the training facility and the stadium retrofit - I will stipulate - are true. I'm not arguing that. But you know what - your argument about distinct projects for two different purposes, with different funding streams doesn't gel with reality.

Can I ask whether you think any student or casual Cal alum would recognize the degree of detail you describe in your post - offering that level of distinction between the SAHPC and the stadium retrofit? Or, the funding streams to pay for this project? Everyone sees this as one project with two phases. I mean - why are you arguing this point? At this stage of the game - who cares?

As for what Tedford asked for and what we received - this was billed as a necessity for recruiting purposes and making us more competitive - better weights, conditioning, aquatics, meeting rooms, etc. And what has transpired since it opened? Our record? 48-58. I'm not arguing whether we need it. I am arguing that this was the main component of the necessity argument. It is also an illogical argument to defend the Simpson Center by saying, "well if it didn't get built, we'd be worse". You don't know that.

I'm not arguing whether you think the Simpson center was a good idea or whether the retrofit was necessary. i'm also not engaging in a ridiculous exercise on how you see the project (yes - singular). But your last paragraph bears some attention and its where you lost me. Those buildings you describe are in furtherance of either an academic mission, an arts/cultural program, a student resource/quality of life function, or a staff amenity or resource. It is quite obvious to me that when UC pays for bricks and mortar projects that may be included in any one or all of these, they are using student fees, tuition or endowment funds to pay for some or part of it. And then there's this zinger:

Quote:

And while individual sports programs -- even in Division I schools -- don't necessarily turn a profit, the many other benefits to colleges have far-reaching implications for students, faculty and community. Athletics programs drive enrollment and heighten college profiles, often resulting in financial windfalls for the institutions that happen far away from fields and arenas.

Give me some empirical evidence of what "far reaching implications" is for our D1 sports program. Explain to me the negative social, fiscal or community impact there would be if Cal Football were eliminated tomorrow. Athletic programs at football powers may drive enrollment and heighten college profiles - but it does NOT at Cal. If it did, we would have a better record than we have now. And your quote above is ridiculous because it once again tries to draw a comparison between Cal and the football elite. We are NOT elite. There is a difference between what you think we are and what you want us to be.

Overall, the fact that you see the project as two distinct construction projects; the method of finance; your belief that donors shouldn't of had to foot the bill for it - it all seems like sour grapes.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

Big C said:

The discussion on health care is not a two or three sentence discussion gentlemen, and I'm not sure it germane to this site.
Absolutely correct. I started writing a long dissertation but figured it wasn't appropriate so I just put together a four sentence overview. In essence, when I see stuff that is so far from reality that it begs a response, I can't resist. Anyone who thinks the cost of healthcare is directly related to physician income clearly doesn't understand the dynamics of healthcare finance.
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

Big C said:

Absolutely correct. I started writing a long dissertation but figured it wasn't appropriate so I just put together a four sentence overview. In essence, when I see stuff that is so far from reality that it begs a response, I can't resist. Anyone who thinks the cost of healthcare is directly related to physician income clearly doesn't understand the dynamics of healthcare finance.
concur
calumnus
philly1121 said:

wifeisafurd said:

philly1121 said:

wifeisafurd said:

philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Again, you're completely missing the point. The level of detail and minutia that you know about the training facility and the stadium retrofit - I will stipulate - are true. I'm not arguing that. But you know what - your argument about distinct projects for two different purposes, with different funding streams doesn't gel with reality.

Can I ask whether you think any student or casual Cal alum would recognize the degree of detail you describe in your post - offering that level of distinction between the SAHPC and the stadium retrofit? Or, the funding streams to pay for this project? Everyone sees this as one project with two phases. I mean - why are you arguing this point? At this stage of the game - who cares?

As for what Tedford asked for and what we received - this was billed as a necessity for recruiting purposes and making us more competitive - better weights, conditioning, aquatics, meeting rooms, etc. And what has transpired since it opened? Our record? 48-58. I'm not arguing whether we need it. I am arguing that this was the main component of the necessity argument. It is also an illogical argument to defend the Simpson Center by saying, "well if it didn't get built, we'd be worse". You don't know that.

I'm not arguing whether you think the Simpson center was a good idea or whether the retrofit was necessary. i'm also not engaging in a ridiculous exercise on how you see the project (yes - singular). But your last paragraph bears some attention and its where you lost me. Those buildings you describe are in furtherance of either an academic mission, an arts/cultural program, a student resource/quality of life function, or a staff amenity or resource. It is quite obvious to me that when UC pays for bricks and mortar projects that may be included in any one or all of these, they are using student fees, tuition or endowment funds to pay for some or part of it. And then there's this zinger:

Quote:

And while individual sports programs -- even in Division I schools -- don't necessarily turn a profit, the many other benefits to colleges have far-reaching implications for students, faculty and community. Athletics programs drive enrollment and heighten college profiles, often resulting in financial windfalls for the institutions that happen far away from fields and arenas.

Give me some empirical evidence of what "far reaching implications" is for our D1 sports program. Explain to me the negative social, fiscal or community impact there would be if Cal Football were eliminated tomorrow. Athletic programs at football powers may drive enrollment and heighten college profiles - but it does NOT at Cal. If it did, we would have a better record than we have now. And your quote above is ridiculous because it once again tries to draw a comparison between Cal and the football elite. We are NOT elite. There is a difference between what you think we are and what you want us to be.

Overall, the fact that you see the project as two distinct construction projects; the method of finance; your belief that donors shouldn't of had to foot the bill for it - it all seems like sour grapes.

At the time I thought the seismic retrofit of CMS could have been done cheaply by moving concessions and restrooms outside the structure to a new plaza (with an above ground Strawberry Creek and waterfalls as a feature) and basically filling the internal space other than strengthened tunnels leading from the stands to the plaza. The SAHPC could be built as a traditional building elsewhere. Maybe next to RSF with a dedicated basketball practice on the roof. However, CMS is built now, it is a done deal, it is beautiful and there is zero benefit to debating it. It can't be undone.

However, now there is similar talk of the need to raise $50 million for the university to build a dedicated basketball practice facility in order for Cal basketball to be competitive.

While I agree the players need a place to practice 247, I think that can be accommodated at the RSF, which is already open 247. Maybe add a rooftop court (with views) exclusively for the men's and women's teams?

What I am getting to is we don't want to be fighting last century's wars. While facilities were the weapon of choice for recruiting in the 20th century, we are moving to an era of more direct compensation for student athletes, initially through NIL. Just $1 million paid out to athletes would attract a lot more recruits than more/nicer buildings.

I think the current situation presents an opportunity for a Cal alumni controlled group to take over the Learfield contract, have a new one based on revenue sharing, then manage the game day experience based on Cal traditions and new Cal-centric creativity, and begin an aggressive marketing campaign in the Bay Area featuring the NIL of the players. Make them Bay Area stars. Many of the positions at the AD can be eliminated, with the functions transferred to NewCo. NewCo can hire student interns and lots of ex-players.
Even part of any new coach's compensation could be paid by NewCo giving NewCo considerable leverage in hiring and firing. NewCo would then work with other corporate sponsors to get NIL opportunities for the players.

The fact Knowlton is Knowlton and reflexively outsources to a search firm, is now a benefit. He just needs to outsource to NewCo, a Cal alumni controlled search firm. One that is not looking out for its own interests, and that of its coach clients, but the interests of wining Cal football and basketball.

Bobodeluxe
The SAHPC was built the way it was, because it was to be as closely connected to the future rebuilt Memorial as possible, easily doubling, or even tripling, the cost. I have pictures and notes to prove it.
Bobodeluxe
Memorial was rebuilt because influential alums insisted such. Notes, again.
Bobodeluxe
The rebuild was fascinating. I was on site almost every day. Pictures, again.

Over the top? Yes.

Sandy went with the flow, and took the blame for the massive miss on funding.

Them's the breaks when small timers try to compete with the big boys in the business of "amateur" athletics. (lol)
CaliforniaEternal
calumnus said:

However, now there is similar talk of the need to raise $50 million for the university to build a dedicated basketball practice facility in order for Cal basketball to be competitive.

While I agree the players need a place to practice 247, I think that can be accommodated at the RSF, which is already open 247. Maybe add a rooftop court (with views) exclusively for the men's and women's teams?
The new basketball/other sports facility is likely to be connected to the north end of Haas Pavilion on the site of the current parking lot. There is also a possibility the facility could be located where the east bleachers of Edwards Stadium are currently, although that would cause much more disruption to baseball and soccer/track. At some point though, Edwards will need to be demolished and the football pitch/track will need to be reconfigured to modern dimensions. Also, the cost is going to be much higher than $50M. Will be interesting to see if they can fundraise for the thing.

Kleeberger Field at the RSF can't be used by Athletics because that space is needed for a big RSF expansion to increase the amount of activity space for students, which is seriously lacking right now. When the new campus master plan is released, there are some nice renderings you will see of what the area might look like with all these changes.
71Bear
Yogi Knows said:

StarsDoMatter said:

How can some you guys still want wilcox?!!'

He's 15-25 in the pac12.

The only team he beat with a winning record all season (im excluding FSC sac st) was 7-5 oregon state.

Our current recruiting class is 71st in the nation. 71st!!

Hes never had a winning record in conference
Hes recruiting is below average, even for cal standards
Hes teams are extremely boring.

Why must we suffer with such an inadequate coach for another season???
Because Cal has a garbage fanbase and garbage donors. Oooh, that's gonna piss a lot of people off. Don't care, because enough of you know that it's true.

Cal used to dominate in football and basketball and be a good academic university at the same time, like a lot of other schools that manage the same trick now under far different financial circumstances. The sport costs more to fund now, there's a never-ending facilities race and coaches salary race, and we're now at a point where college football is splitting itself into a very small number of colleges that are the elite of the sport and then the rest of the colleges, which frankly can't generate the revenue to even be in the same ballpark as some of those other schools anymore. That's fine and I get that. Cal is never going to be the next Clemson or Georgia that invests a lot into their program and breaks into that small group of programs that is a serious threat for a national championship.

This school however did a massive Jedi-mind trick to its fanbase in the 60's and managed to somehow convince people who had seen Cal excel in both revenue sports and academics and convince them that Cal's academic mission would be tarnished if we tried to continue excelling at sports. This is, of course, a load of horseshyt, but the fanbase largely bought this narrative. Cal then hired a bunch of faculty members that had even harsher anti-athletics sentiments than that and wanted to be West Coast Ivy League schools and for some reason got a disproportionate amount of voice that they would have had at no other university. Then we started hiring chancellors that felt that same way. Heyman was the one in my day, but I'm sure we had chancellors long before then who were anti-athletics. I just wasn't around to see it, but I know there's plenty of people who could probably give you the list of the chancellors who started this unhealthy attitude towards revenue generating college programs.

Carol Christ is no different. Plenty of fans wax on about her taking on that stadium debt and acting like she is a great supporter of athletics because of that. She's not. Hiring Jim Knowlton and giving him that ridiculous contract says as much as Tien hiring Bockrath did. These people are not here to pursue athletic excellence. They are here to deliver on the long-time Cal athletic mission of "Win just enough that our delusional rose-colored glasses fanbase keeps donating money to Bear Backers and buying tickets, but never enough to where the programs become so good that the donors are in a position to ever make demands of the Chancellor."

Tedford was the one guy who ever got close enough to the golden prize where Cal thought to themselves "Wow, we could have our cake and eat it too - we could have full stadiums and lots of revenue" and actually decided to invest a little money in the program after decades of doing absolutely nothing. And then he went and destroyed his own program through a combination of hubris, overwork, terrible coaching hires, and terrible talent evaluation and we reverted to the standard Cal playbook after that. And now enough time has passed that you've all bought into that narrative again and think that because a bunch of frankly not very talented players like Wilcox and have faith in him that it means he's the guy to stick with.

I'm not one to pick on players because they're all just trying to do the best they can for themselves and if they aren't talented enough to compete with the rest of the conference, it's not their fault. It's the fault of the guy running the program. But I'm sorry - I just could not possibly care less about what a bunch of guys that play losing football year after year think of their coach. His job isn't to be a standup guy and do right by his players. That's only the bare minimum of what his job is. His number one job, above all else is to

WIN
FOOTBALL
GAMES

But this fanbase is such utter garbage that no amount of years of watching an otherwise likeable guy post losing year after losing year will convince our fanbase that a nice guy coach that doesn't win needs to go. There are some that get it and it's a hell of a lot more than back in the origins of this website when it was very few people that would say that Holmoe needed to go before his disastrous last year. But it took that garbage of a year to finally convince those people that it had to happen. If it's a guy like Dykes who rubs people the wrong way by wearing the wrong color tie or naming his Women's Football Huddle the politically incorrect name, then there's no shortage of holier than thou Cal fans who can't wait to see the guy gone. But good guy mediocrity is the one thing that a garbage fanbase like ours just loves in a way that no other Division 1 program ever would.

The unfortunate part of beating all those garbage teams at the end of our schedule and somehow managing to play our best game against what ultimately proved to be a fairly mediocre Oregon State team is that our fanbase simply can't tell the difference between running at will against teams like Colorado and Stanford with very little talent and then they get taken to the woodshed by UCLA and think playcalling was the issue. It wasn't. We just finally had to play a team that we couldn't dominate physically with our run game and then all the usual shortcomings with the rest of the team reared the ugly heads that they showed in the first half of the season.

71Bear argues that in order to fire the coach, you need to have identified someone that is a clear upgrade who is willing to come and there's reason in that thinking. But as someone else in this thread said, there is always the next Chip Kelly or DeBoer out there. Maybe we don't know who that guy is because we're just regular Joe fans of a bad college football program. But there is someone whose job it is to find those guys. Unfortunately, he delegates that responsibility to consultants who get paid regardless of who we hire.

Cal's problems in the revenue sports program go way beyond just whether Wilcox is the football coach or not. It would probably require Cal to get the next genius level coach to overcome all of the self-inflicted handicaps that Cal imposes on the football program. But one thing that there is absolutely zero doubt about is that Cal will never ever ever ever ever be anything other than a mediocre football program under Wilcox because he sucks at hiring assistants, he puts hiring and paying his friend (Sirmon) above what's best for the team, and he can't recruit. You can post all the Mike Saffell quotes, read all the donor posts, read all of the Insider board stuff you want, read all the delusional Jon Wilner tweets you want, and read all the Chronicle feel-good puff pieces you want, but none of that is going to change those basic facts.

Wilcox is not the guy and never will be. I'm sure he'll be back again next year and I'm sure that this website will be selling you a similar version of the story they sold to so many of you in the spring when they told you this was going to be the big year. It won't be. Just pray that whatever extension they give him is a very friendly to the university extension because the athletic program will be eating it all on the back end when the ticket sales drop low enough that they are finally compelled to make a change to reset this horrible codependent relationship again,
Well said, Yogi…. Another losing season is on the horizon unless there is a significant injection of talent from the portal and I am not talking about Martinez, I am talking about quality talent. For example, all the happy forecasts from blue-tinted glasses crowd cannot gloss over the fact there is a significant lack of talent on both lines. At this point, 5-7 looks like the ceiling in 2022.

As for coaches who might be under the radar, smart AD's (unlike Cal's) keep a vest pocket list of potentials based upon information from the network of contacts they have established. In this day and age, there are very few guys who are unknown to knowledgeable AD's.
Cal Strong!
Tonges and Nikko just entered the transfer portal. Very strange, since Cal Strong read on this thread that Wilcox had created such a strong locker room culture that it hardly mattered that he lost more games than he won.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.