Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Jackson Sirmon
Cal Football

Bears Pick up Key Transfer in Former UW MLB Jackson Sirmon

January 5, 2022

The Bears picked up a solid portal transfer today from a familiar name: 6-3/235 Washington redshirt soph inside linebacker Jackson Sirmon -son Cal defensive coordinator and ILB coach Peter Sirmon.

“I’m excited to join the team,” said Sirmon. “I know they have great guys in the locker room and a very respected coaching staff, although I may be a little biased.

“Obviously my dad’s been coaching over at Cal the last couple of years when I’ve been up at Washington. But I don’t have a ton of time in college football left and something I always thought would be cool is to play with my dad. I think that a lot of kids would love to play for their dad and that’s a neat opportunity so that’s something I chose to pursue. It’s nothing bad on Washington but it’s just a great opportunity I’m really excited for.

“I think everything just lined up right. They’re obviously a really respected staff who has great defense every year and I’m hoping I can help add something to that. They have good dudes in the locker room, they're well-coached and they play tough, smart football and it's something I’d like to be a part of. They always played us tough, even in years where we might have been more talented. They were always really fun, tough game to be a part of.

“I am ready to be a Golden Bear!”

Even though it was Sirmon’s fourth season at UW, he’ll come into to Cal this spring with two seasons of eligibility after playing the redshirt limit as a freshman in 2018, preserving his redshirt season while forcing a fumble and also playing in the Rose Bowl in his fourt game stint.

As a redshirt frosh, Sirmon played in all 13 games, adding 28 tackles for the season and in 2020’s limited schedule, he added 27 tackles in four games.

In his fourth season as a redshirt soph (with 2020 not counting towards eligibility) in 2021, Sirmon racked up 92 tackles, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and one interception for the Huskies.

In high school Sirmon chose UW over Wisconsin and Vanderbilt after earning all-state honors nd leading his Brentwood squad to an undefeated 12-0 record and state championship. He was rated the number 20 OLB in the nation by 247.

The honorable mention All-Pac-12 MLB will enroll at Cal next week and likely participate in the  Bears spring ball after he wraps up his business degreee from Washington while pursuing his post graduate certification in Entrepreneurship at Cal.

Other stories:

'23 Arizona OT Elijah Paige Talks Cal Offer

Ultimate Insider Podcast E24- Cal Defense Wrap-up, Transcript and Video

Discussion from...

Bears Pick up Key Transfer in Former UW MLB Jackson Sirmon

10,196 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by heartofthebear
Bobodeluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good.
JB was a Chieftain
Good get!
89Bear
Excellent signing!
upsetof86
Great news! More flexibility to move one of our MLBs outside?
HoopDreams
BearoutEast67
Awesome!
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
concordtom
Yo! Nice Cal uni graphics !
Already? How do you do it, Jim?

What did he study? And what is he going to study at Cal?
59bear
A solid more than spectacular player at a position of need.
MoragaBear
Staff
More quotes and details added to story
calumnus
The post graduate certicate in entrepreneurship sounds interesting. A Haas program I presume, anyone have insight into it?
ducktilldeath
Y'all hilarious. Sirmon is a horrible player. Glad he cares about playing school tho.
ducktilldeath
MoragaBear said:

PRAISE JESUS.

There hasn't been a clearer case of addition by subtraction than this.

Sirmon is a fringe Pac-12 player and probably the worst Pac-12 ILB starter I saw this year.

Guy who failed to show almost anything in four years in the program

Sirmon is unquestionably the worst multi-year starter at UW in the last 50 years

Looking forward to watching him take bad angles, miss arm tackles and get dragged 7 yards past the first-down marker in a Cal uniform.

Nothing personal against the kid, but gotdamm this is a great day

I'm convinced the kid must have had iPhone footage of Bob pulling a Sandusky with some UW Rising Stars. Never understood how that guy ever saw the field.

Thank goodness, addition by subtraction

Sirmon sucks

One of my favorite plays of the year was the cal running back that somehow ran outside of him down the sideline when sirmon had the angle and nobody watching in the stadium or at home thought he could possibly scoot by.

Sirmon was laughably bad

I saw his ass get burned on two big Travis Dye runs this season. One of them he was blocked (mauled is more accurate) by 5'7" 170 pound Jaylon Redd and on the other one he looked like the slowest ****er on the field and gave zero effort.
calbearinamaze
Someone doing an imitation of an "enlightened Quacker"

AWESOME
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
GoOskie
ducktilldeath said:

MoragaBear said:

"...gibberish..."
Is this the result of a weekend meth binge?
MoragaBear
Staff
#don'tfeedthetroll
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
According to the game stats vs then #4 Oregon, J. Sirmon was the leading tackler of the game, tying D. Hampton for most solo tackles (8), and tying Noah Sewell for most total tackles (10), incl. 1 TFL.

He was in 2021 #4 in the Pac-12 for solo tackles. Phew, he stinks!
CALiforniALUM
bearup said:

Someone doing an imitation of an "enlightened Quacker"

AWESOME
I guess the Quack really sees Washington as a threat with this Sirmon kid and now that he has transferred to the juggernaut called Cal Oregon apparently accomplishes the unbelievable by reducing both the Washington and Cal threats by having the so-called worst player in the conference transfer. Well, with that logic I suppose Oregon will stay Oregon.
Big C

Sounds like someone feels jilted by Wilcox.
bonsallbear
ducktilldeath said:

MoragaBear said:

PRAISE JESUS.

Sirmon is a fringe Pac-12 player and probably the worst Pac-12 ILB starter I saw this year.

Sirmon is unquestionably the worst multi-year starter at UW in the last 50 years

Looking forward to watching him take bad angles, miss arm tackles and get dragged 7 yards past the first-down marker in a Cal uniform.

I'm convinced the kid must have had iPhone footage of Bob pulling a Sandusky with some UW Rising Stars. Never understood how that guy ever saw the field.

Sirmon sucks

One of my favorite plays of the year was the cal running back that somehow ran outside of him down the sideline when sirmon had the angle and nobody watching in the stadium or at home thought he could possibly scoot by.

Sirmon was laughably bad

I saw his ass get burned on two big Travis Dye runs this season. One of them he was blocked (mauled is more accurate) by 5'7" 170 pound Jaylon Redd and on the other one he looked like the slowest ****er on the field and gave zero effort.
Please quit mincing words. Tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back.
GivemTheAxe
upsetof86 said:

Great news! More flexibility to move one of our MLBs outside?

So how many years of eligibility does he have left
By my count he has 2 since he was a 4th year redshirt sophomore in 2021.
MoragaBear
Staff
Yes, he'll have two years if he chooses to return in '22.
heartofthebear
ducktilldeath said:

MoragaBear said:

PRAISE JESUS.

Sirmon sucks

Sirmon was laughably bad

If you are talking about Jesus, yeah, I don't think he's a very good ILB. Sirmon however...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.