Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Spencer Lovell
Cal Football

Bears Make Another Big OL Portal Addition in Lovell

May 11, 2022

Former ASU 6-7/335 offensive guard Spencer Lovell officially visited Cal over the weekend, followed by a trip to the Palousse on an official visit to Washington State through Tuesday. After returning from Washington, the redshirt junior was ready to make his decision.

“I just committed to Cal,” said Lovell. “I think the combination of the culture, the offense, where Coach Musgrave really plays to the strength of his players, his and Coach Wilcox and the staff’s high level of coaching experience -it all felt right. As a vet coming into their program, Coach Angus (McClure was really open to me to work with techniques I’ve been taught previously. He’s not a cookie-cutter coach where everything has to be done the same way. Whatever is a strength in an individual player, he’ll work with them.”

After his visit, Lovell noted that the culture of the program, both with the staff and players made a big impression on him. Tonight, he reiterated that fit played a big role in his comfort level in committing to the program.

“I really like the group of guys there, especially the O-line,” said Lovell. “I met a good amount of them.

“I get along great with Coach Angus and Mike (Saffell). I can really be myself around them and just be me. It was nice to have that. I thing the combination of Coach Angus and Mike works really well. Mike’s played a lot and was an All-Conference center. He has recent playing experience and Angus has been around for forever so I think it’s a good combo.”

Lovell graduated last semester and is planning on enrolling in one of Cal’s certification programs. He’ll have two years of eligibility.

“I talked to (QB transfer) Jack Plummer about the certification programs and it sounds like a good fit for me,” noted Lovell.

The Bears also pulled in a commitment from 6-4/295 former Montana State sophomore right tackle TJ Sessions earlier this week. The addition of two veteran linemen dramatically improves the depth of the Cal O-line heading into the 2022 season.

A former 3 star recruit out of Fort Collins, Colorado, Lovell signed with ASU in 2018, playing in nearly every game after redshirting his freshman year in the O-line rotation and special teams. Following ASU’s spring ball, he was slated to start at offensive guard this season before entering the transfer portal. With his size, he can play either guard or tackle but seems potentially better-suited on the inside. He could immediately battle to start opposite Cindric or Brian Driscoll, depending on which player ends up at center following Driscoll’s return in the fall.

Other stories:

Lovell Impressed by Bears' Culture on Visit to Cal

Bears Make a Key Addition With Portal Transfer OT TJ Session

Discussion from...

Bears Make Another Big OL Portal Addition in Lovell

12,486 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 82gradDLSdad
OdontoBear66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With the new OL portal transfers to give us depth and hopefully increased quality, can we say with the current conditions in our society that this is our new: "Bear Bounce"
82gradDLSdad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OdontoBear66 said:

With the new OL portal transfers to give us depth and hopefully increased quality, can we say with the current conditions in our society that this is our new: "Bear Bounce"

Always safe to say Cal football is in a bear market
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.