OT: Oppenheimer film being shot on Cal campus

19,724 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Boot
01Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dgoldnbaer said:

I was at Northwestern end of August and I really liked it A LOT! Right along Lake Michigan w/excellent view of downtown Chicago. Students were enrolling & I definitely got caught up w/the environment - was SOOOO fun & positive. And U of Chicago - since I've never been there, I certainly can't voice an opinion about it!

I went to Northwestern for law school. While the law school is in downtown Chicago (off Miracle Mile and close to Hancock Tower), I also visited the main campus. Northwestern has a lively campus when the weather is nice. But even then, I'd take Cal's campus over Northwestern's any day of the week. Over time, grey stone buildings become depressing*; this is made worse in winter when pretty much everything is grey outside. Cal's buildings, OTOH, are not suicide inducing**.

On a fun little side note, there are actually underground tunnels that connect Northwestern's law school buildings to one another. Not everyone knows about them, but a student from a class before mine showed them to me.

*As in I repeatedly contemplated taking a header off one of the buildings in downtown Chicago--this is even though I was at the downtown campus with a fantastic view of the lake.

**Well, maybe Evans Hall is, but that may be due more to the courseload and strict grading guidelines at Cal than the buildings.
southseasbear
GivemTheAxe said:

...Later some of the worst atrocities were added. Wurster, Evans, Tolman. Barrows and Stephens were not among the worst but the hey we're pretty boring

Luckily Tolman is gone and soon Evans will also be. stephens has been destroyed and rebuilt in a more attractive fashion
Some of the newer buildings are also great: East Asian Library, Bechtel Building, the Doe Library expansion are great.
And I love the new master plan for the Campus.
Stephens? You mean the John Galen Howard designed collegiate gothic building across from the Campanile and bordering the Faculty Glade that was our first student union? I think it's a beautiful building, along with its later built "companion" Moses Hall. When was it destroyed?
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
calumnus
01Bear said:

Dgoldnbaer said:

I was at Northwestern end of August and I really liked it A LOT! Right along Lake Michigan w/excellent view of downtown Chicago. Students were enrolling & I definitely got caught up w/the environment - was SOOOO fun & positive. And U of Chicago - since I've never been there, I certainly can't voice an opinion about it!

I went to Northwestern for law school. While the law school is in downtown Chicago (off Miracle Mile and close to Hancock Tower), I also visited the main campus. Northwestern has a lively campus when the weather is nice. But even then, I'd take Cal's campus over Northwestern's any day of the week. Over time, grey stone buildings become depressing*; this is made worse in winter when pretty much everything is grey outside. Cal's buildings, OTOH, are not suicide inducing**.

On a fun little side note, there are actually underground tunnels that connect Northwestern's law school buildings to one another. Not everyone knows about them, but a student from a class before mine showed them to me.

*As in I repeatedly contemplated taking a header off one of the buildings in downtown Chicago--this is even though I was at the downtown campus with a fantastic view of the lake.

**Well, maybe Evans Hall is, but that may be due more to the courseload and strict grading guidelines at Cal than the buildings.

Your experience mirrors that of my friends from Cal that attended Northwestern for grad school.
bearister
okaydo said:

SFCALBear72 said:

fat_slice said:

They stole our fight song, took our #1 public school ranking, and now our movie too?!? See #5

https://bruinlife.com/uclas-secret-second-career/
That piece was written April 18. Maybe they dropped Ucla and brought production up north for a far better locale.

Tommy Shelby don't need no security guards. Tommy Shelby isn't in danger.

TOMMY SHELBY IS THE DANGER

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
GivemTheAxe
MathTeacherMike said:

Golden One said:

GoCal80 said:

To each his own. One of my favorite campuses is Cornell. The setting is amazing and it is different but beautiful in each of the seasons. Cal is my second favorite campus after Cornell. Princeton is not to my tastes at all. It is too manicured and too perfect. To me it seems artificial, like Disneyland or something.
I agree with you regarding Cornell. I've been there many times, and the setting is truly beautiful. I've never seen another campus with the gorgeous waterfalls that Cornell has.
100% agree - Cornell's campus is what a college campus should look like. When touring schools with my daughter I was caught off guard by how beautiful the campus was. Now those visits were in the spring and fall - so the weather was perfect and the grounds were breathtaking. I hear the winters are brutal though.

The problem with a college campus that is beautiful in the Summer and brutal in the Winter is that students spend more time on campus in the Winter than in the Summer.
And the Winters are longer there (despite what the calendar says). winter weather begins in October and continues until April.
calumnus
Yeah, Spring lasts one week. I remember walking up Broadway on a sunny, breezy Spring day temperature in the high 60s with some Columbia classmates. They could not get over how nice the weather was that day. I thought "this is the usual weather in the Bay Area almost every day."
GivemTheAxe
calumnus said:

Yeah, Spring lasts one week. I remember walking up Broadway on a sunny, breezy Spring day temperature in the high 60s with some Columbia classmates. They could not get over how nice the weather was that day. I thought "this is the usual weather in the Bay Area almost every day."

I remember talking one of my sons on his visits to Northwestern and ND after he had received notices of acceptance from Cal, Northwestern and ND.
My son had lived his life in the Bay Area and thought he might like a change of scenery for college

We flew into O'Hare the at the end of March. Visited the NU campus. Several inches of snow was still on the ground. The view of Chicago skyline was beautiful but a very cold icy wind was blowing off the Lake. All trees were still bare.

Next we drive to ND. Again there snow on the ground several inches deep. A cold icy wind was blowing across the campus and all trees were still bare.

When we flew back to SFO the weather in the Bay Area was warm and sunny all the trees and bushes were in bloom.
He decided to go to Cal.
calumnus
GivemTheAxe said:

calumnus said:

I remember talking one of my sons on his visits to Northwestern and ND after he had received notices of acceptance from Cal, Northwestern and ND.
My son had lived his life in the Bay Area and thought he might like a change of scenery for college

We flew into O'Hare the at the end of March. Visited the NU campus. Several inches of snow was still on the ground. The view of Chicago skyline was beautiful but a very cold icy wind was blowing off the Lake. All trees were still bare.

Next we drive to ND. Again there snow on the ground several inches deep. A cold icy wind was blowing across the campus and all trees were still bare.

When we flew back to SFO the weather in the Bay Area was warm and sunny all the trees and bushes were in bloom.
He decided to go to Cal.

Similar experience taking my daughter with her mom and her sister to Chicago during Spring break to see Northwestern and University of Chicago (she wanted schools in urban settings like Cal). It was not snowing, but the wind was blowing gale force off the lake with 32 degree ice water rain, destroying umbrellas and soaking us under jackets to the core. It was colder than snow, as cold as I've ever been. My eldest had early hypothermia. She ended up at UCSD.
okaydo
Edwards Stadium!?

AXLBear
But digitally touched up (stuff removed)?
okaydo
AXLBear said:

But digitally touched up (stuff removed)?

Maybe they touched up the grass, but what would need to be removed?

calpoly
GivemTheAxe said:

MathTeacherMike said:

Golden One said:

GoCal80 said:

To each his own. One of my favorite campuses is Cornell. The setting is amazing and it is different but beautiful in each of the seasons. Cal is my second favorite campus after Cornell. Princeton is not to my tastes at all. It is too manicured and too perfect. To me it seems artificial, like Disneyland or something.
I agree with you regarding Cornell. I've been there many times, and the setting is truly beautiful. I've never seen another campus with the gorgeous waterfalls that Cornell has.
100% agree - Cornell's campus is what a college campus should look like. When touring schools with my daughter I was caught off guard by how beautiful the campus was. Now those visits were in the spring and fall - so the weather was perfect and the grounds were breathtaking. I hear the winters are brutal though.

The problem with a college campus that is beautiful in the Summer and brutal in the Winter is that students spend more time on campus in the Winter than in the Summer.
And the Winters are longer there (despite what the calendar says). winter weather begins in October and continues until April.
They have had snow storms during the Cornell graduation ceremony in May! I lived in Ithaca for 6 years, loved the 3 month summers but hated the 9 month winter (dark and gloomy with all that cloud cover).
Larno
1972 and I am walking down Bancroft towards Telegraph. There are some vans parked on the north side of the street and people milling about. Someone is leaning against the van; he looks familiar, who is it? Later that day someone asks me "Did you see Robert Redford today". That's who it was! I had only seen him in Butch Cassidy and I guess I just didn't expect to see someone like that on campus. They were filming the movie "The Candidate" and had a scene on campus where he is addressing a crowd. A bunch of students got to be extras that day. The film came out just before the election in November 1972 and some posters with his character, who was running for Calfiornia senator, were put up as publicity and were apparently effective enough that he got write-in votes.
TomBear
Oh those cars!!! I love cars from the '30s and '40s.
nwbear84
calpoly said:

GivemTheAxe said:

MathTeacherMike said:

Golden One said:

GoCal80 said:

They have had snow storms during the Cornell graduation ceremony in May! I lived in Ithaca for 6 years, loved the 3 month summers but hated the 9 month winter (dark and gloomy with all that cloud cover).

I applied and was accepted to Cornell and was considering it seriously until I saw the picture in the brochure of a lone student walking across a snow covered campus. The idea of going clear across the country, being homesick AND stuck in the cold changed my mind quickly.
bearister
Christopher Nolan says viewers walking out of Oppenheimer 'devastated'

https://mol.im/a/12222399
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearsandgiants
"Oppenheimer thrusts audiences into the pulse-pounding paradox of the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it."

"The bombs were detonated on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki - the only use of nuclear weapons in war to date - to end the Second World War."

Nice bits of propaganda here, suggesting the film is loaded with it. Can't wait to have my brain trained to sympathize with monsters instead of their victims. Par of the course. Did CIA and DOD consult on this Hollywood gem at the usual level, or even more?
BearSD
bearsandgiants said:

"Oppenheimer thrusts audiences into the pulse-pounding paradox of the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it."

"The bombs were detonated on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki - the only use of nuclear weapons in war to date - to end the Second World War."

Nice bits of propaganda here, suggesting the film is loaded with it. Can't wait to have my brain trained to sympathize with monsters instead of their victims. Par of the course. Did CIA and DOD consult on this Hollywood gem at the usual level, or even more?
Focusing on Oppenheimer instead of on the military commanders who decided when and where to use the bombs is a choice, yeah. But no major studio would dare to make a movie that examined those decisions and questioned them in detail.
mbBear
BearSD said:

bearsandgiants said:

Focusing on Oppenheimer instead of on the military commanders who decided when and where to use the bombs is a choice, yeah. But no major studio would dare to make a movie that examined those decisions and questioned them in detail.
I think the only thing Hollywood is afraid of is financial failure... if it would get watched, it would get made...my 2 cents anyway...
But I get that it's complicated topic...I'm all for the end of nuclear weapons. At the same time, if WWII went on further, there is a 50-50 chance (or whatever percentage you want to assign) that my dad would not have made it home from the Pacific theater...
calumnus
CaliforniaEternal said:

okaydo said:

Dgoldnbaer said:

fu c la 's campus buildings much more attractive than ours. Hate to admit it but ... love the brick buildings w/Ivy on them. Ours are dull - boring - compared to theirs. I've had this perspective since I was 16 - hasn't changed. And I know - beauty is all in the eye of the beholder!

Ehhhh....UCLA's beauty is basically Royce Hall and the area surrounding it, including those long steps. That's it. That's all you think about UCLA when you think about UCLA.

UC Berkeley, on the other hand, has a lot of beautiful buildings spread out around campus. Yes, there are ugly buildings. But there are a lot of buildings that are simply beautiful (and are not pictured below).

I think that some people just have a brick building bias. They think bricks = prestigious academic school.

Case in point: In 2017, USC opened a dorm/shopping complex with Amazon, Trader Joe's, Target, Wahlburgers, etc.

They built it with bricks so it would look old and prestigious looking.

When the college admissions scandal broke in 2019, nearly all the articles/media coverage on it used pictures of the University Village complex because it "looked" like a university. Even though USC has many other buildings that predate 2017.

Very good summary of southern branch's architecture. They basically have nothing of value. There are very few universities in the world that compare to John Galen Howard's Beaux Arts buildings like the Campanile, Hearst Mining, Wheeler, Doe Library, Durant, and Cal Hall. The granite for the facades was quarried in Madera County and gives these buildings a monumental look, not too mention their incredible ornamentation. It never gets old coming through Sather Gate and turning up to see Wheeler with the Campanile in the background.

Not to mention the amazing beauty of the Faculty Club, including the setting.
GivemTheAxe
Dgoldnbaer said:

Northwestern in August is Beautiful
But for a large part of the year Northwester is cold and wet or covered in snow.
One of my sons was admitted to NW. we went on a campus visit in March when there was snow on the ground and a freezing gale coming off the lake. My son did not choose to go there but chose to go to Cal.
BearHunter
bearister said:

Christopher Nolan says viewers walking out of Oppenheimer 'devastated'

https://mol.im/a/12222399

Looks like this ended up being a horror movie. Now, I'm more interested.
BearHunter
calumnus
In the 1970s my mom, a psychologist, had a patient "Mary" who was Japanese American, born in the US, but as a young girl was sent with her little sister to visit her grandparents in Hiroshima. After Pearl Harbor her parents sent for the girls, but the US refused to allow their return fearing they might be spies. Her parents were sent to an internment camp.

She was inside her grandparent's house watching her little sister playing outside when the bomb detonated. The last thing she saw was her little sister "vaporized" by the blast. A few days later, her uncle, who lived in the mountains, made his way to Hiroshima and found her buried in the ruble. Her sister and grandparents were killed. She alone survived. No one knew what the bomb was or how to help the survivors. Her face was covered in scabs. Underneath was puss "like a cream pie," Her uncle pulled off the scabs and scraped away the puss. She was returned to the US and over the next decades she had over a dozen skin graphs and reconstructive surgeries but was widely shunned due to her disfigurement and fear of radiation. She was my mom's patient because she was suicidal, attempting to take her life several times before eventually dying of cancer.
okaydo
KoreAmBear
okaydo said:

LOL #AMC to the moon!
BearHunter

Have you ever visited Tinian island? I believe it's in your neck of the woods. That's where the U.S. temporarily stored the two atomic bombs before they attacked Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The airfield where the two storage pits are located is still in excellent condition. There are no signs of any major cracks or weeds growing even though the runway hasn't been used for over 80 years. The Army Corps of Engineers had to construct the runway quickly and in such a way that it can safely support the landing of heavy bombers carrying atomic bombs without incident. It's quite an eerie setting, there are no tourists around, no secure fencing, just an open runway with these two pits covered with glass.
calumnus
BearHunter said:

Have you ever visited Tinian island? I believe it's in your neck of the woods. That's where the U.S. temporarily stored the two atomic bombs before they attacked Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The airfield where the two storage pits are located is still in excellent condition. There are no signs of any major cracks or weeds growing even though the runway hasn't been used for over 80 years. The Army Corps of Engineers had to construct the runway quickly and in such a way that it can safely support the landing of heavy bombers carrying atomic bombs without incident. It's quite an eerie setting, there are no tourists around, no secure fencing, just an open runway with these two pits covered with glass.

Yes, I've been to Tinian a few times, including to the bomb pit memorial. It is a 10 minute flight from Saipan (pay at the counter, cash only) in a 4 seat plane, piloted by an 18 year old from the mainland eager to build up his hours as a commercial pilot. You enter over the wing, with seating arranged to distribute the weight. Whoever sits up front next to the pilot holds the door open through takeoff for the breeze because there is no air con.

The funniest story I've ever heard in my life involves the Enola Gay bomb memorial. Two of my friends went to Tinian for a business meeting regarding a Chinese-backed casino that was then being built on Tinian (or rather slightly offshore) built to look like the Titanic (complete with fake icebergs you could swim with on a tropical island).

My friends are characters. Ben is a older gruff Chamorro guy, Vietnam Vet, businessman, born on Guam but grew up in LA, dresses like he is from Miami (white pants, white shoes, a cane, lots of jewelry and a fedora…) and is a little sketchy, James is Japanese American, a little portly with a very round face, young with a high voice, always in shorts and flip flops, born and raised on Guam (went to USF on a golf scholarship) but his dad and family is from Kaua'i.

They fly into Tinian with Ben's driver, Rolly. They go to get a rent a car and the woman there gives them a minivan. As they are driving out of the lot, the power steering makes a horrible noise, which they bring to the attention of the woman, asking if she has anything else. She says it is fine, so they drive off.

They have time to kill before the meeting so Ben suggests they drive over to the bomb memorial where Fat Boy and Little Boy were loaded into the Enola Gay for the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (pictured above a glass structure over a hole in the ground, like it is the Louvre). Rolly cuts across a huge grass field and at Ben's insistence parks the minivan right next to the memorial ("I'm old").

They sit there for awhile finishing up a phone call. James opens the door and immediately smells smoke.
He looks under the minivan and sees that power steering fluid and oil is dripping and has caught fire in the heat. Moreover, the entire undercarriage of the minivan is covered in grass from their drive across the field. Alarmed, James alerts his companions, his voice getting higher after initially being gruffly rebuffed by Ben. Then Ben smells it too, opens his door, gets out, looks down at the fire and starts running. James gathers some stuff and the three run off to safe distance.

The minivan, mostly plastic, becomes engulfed in flames. When the flames reach the headlights they explode. The smoke is seen at the airport in Saipan and they alert the Tinian fire department who arrive in a fire truck that turns out, has no water. A fireman vainly sprays the contents of a small fire extinguisher on the fire then retreats.

When the flames reach the gas tank there is a loud explosion. The.glass over the bomb pit shatters. The plaque falls into the pit. They have accidentally blown up the bomb memorial!

A tour bus arrives and Japanese tourists pour out, busily taking pictures of the fire and the destroyed memorial.

Ben calls the rental car company and says they need a new car because something is wrong with the minivan. The woman arrives and stares in disbelief as the minivan is now mostly a puddle of aluminum. They hand her the keys and take the keys to her car and drive off to the meeting.

A year later I am on the United flight from Guam to Saipan with about 20 other passengers. Included in that group is top military brass from all four services 4 star (generals, an admiral) and their aids all going to Tinian to investigate it for US military development (which is now ongoing). In the seat behind me is a representative from the Air Force, talking with his counter part from the Navy. "I'm a aviation historian and I really want to see the Enola Gay memorial." "Oh, last year some tourists blew it up. Right now it is a pond with some birds nesting above it." "Oh my God, that is horrible, what a tragedy!" I could barely contain my laughing.

calumnus
bearsandgiants
GivemTheAxe said:

Dgoldnbaer said:

Northwestern in August is Beautiful
But for a large part of the year Northwester is cold and wet or covered in snow.
One of my sons was admitted to NW. we went on a campus visit in March when there was snow on the ground and a freezing gale coming off the lake. My son did not choose to go there but chose to go to Cal.

Glad your son went to Cal, but northwestern in august is hot and humid. Along with September. It's nice in October and sometimes November. It's cold as balls from December through March. Sometimes nice in april. Nice in May. And humid again in June. This is the reality of Chicagoland, but the city is amazing. The people are kind (compared to the coasts), and the taxes are sky high.
BearHunter
Unreal!. Around what year did your friends blow up the memorial?
calumnus
BearHunter said:

Unreal!. Around what year did your friends blow up the memorial?

Around 2015 or 2016. Here is info on the Titanic-themed casino:
https://www.worldcasinodirectory.com/casino/tinian-ocean-view-casino-resort

Here is an article from the Saipan Tribune:
https://www.saipantribune.com/index.php/flames-engulf-van-at-bomb-pit/
BluesandGold2
Here's a list of films shot on the Cal campus: [url=https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?locations=University+of+California%2C+Berkeley%2C+California%2C+USA][/url]https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?locations=University+of+California%2C+Berkeley%2C+California%2C+USA

IMDB missed Harold Lloyd in the Freshman featuring newly opened Memorial stadium (and usc playing with itself on the field... eww).
okaydo
Cool article:

https://www.berkeleyside.org/2023/07/19/j-robert-oppenheimer-history-tour-berkeley-kensington-1-eagle-hill-road
Econ141
okaydo said:

Cool article:

https://www.berkeleyside.org/2023/07/19/j-robert-oppenheimer-history-tour-berkeley-kensington-1-eagle-hill-road

Ha just came across it and was about to post here. Super cool! I did not realize they changed the name of Le Conte hall.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.