Rashada to Miami

3,737 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by GivemTheAxe
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

GivemTheAxe said:

MilleniaBear said:

How does this NIL work? Do they get all $9M in the first year? Or is it spread out over 3 years? They lose out if they transfer right?

All very good questions.

What happens if the kid gets hurt? Is there insurance coverage?

What happens if the kid flunks out of school? Will there be a requirement that the kid maintain his academic standing?

What happens if the kid fails to perform and is not a starter? Will there be certain performance requirements? (at least with an NFL recruit you know he was a star at the college level.)

There is no real value to some kid's NIL if he isn't playing
I think the kids will get treated better by NIL groups than by the NFL. Because there is no college draft or legal collusion, the kids have all the power now. If a school's NIL group develops a reputation for hosing kids, they will have a harder time attracting talent. Not an issue in the NFL.

Isn't the figure we're talking about (9 million for Rashada) stretched out over four years, renewable every year?

So basically, the players are free agents every year? The schools' NIL groups aren't going to want to "renew" if the player is underperforming, are they? They will want to cut ties and move on to roll the dice on the next 5-star.

Every spring and summer is going to be insane, with all the movement. This hasn't been thought out too well (duh).
ok let's play it forward. Rashada gets a promise of 4 years and he busts in year one so the NIL group cuts him loose to allocate their funds to a new QB. Don't you think the new QB will be aware that the previous star was cut loose? How long before that reputation causes kids to choose differently. The NFL isn't just a business, it has collusion on its side with the draft so kids can't help it when they get drafted by garbage franchises. Coveted high school players can make choices and will want to get "guaranteed" money if it's available to them.
Big C
Unit2Sucks said:

Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

GivemTheAxe said:

MilleniaBear said:

How does this NIL work? Do they get all $9M in the first year? Or is it spread out over 3 years? They lose out if they transfer right?

All very good questions.

What happens if the kid flunks out of school? Will there be a requirement that the kid maintain his academic standing?

What happens if the kid fails to perform and is not a starter? Will there be certain performance requirements? (at least with an NFL recruit you know he was a star at the college level.)

I think the kids will get treated better by NIL groups than by the NFL. Because there is no college draft or legal collusion, the kids have all the power now. If a school's NIL group develops a reputation for hosing kids, they will have a harder time attracting talent. Not an issue in the NFL.

Isn't the figure we're talking about (9 million for Rashada) stretched out over four years, renewable every year?

So basically, the players are free agents every year? The schools' NIL groups aren't going to want to "renew" if the player is underperforming, are they? They will want to cut ties and move on to roll the dice on the next 5-star.

Every spring and summer is going to be insane, with all the movement. This hasn't been thought out too well (duh).
ok let's play it forward. Rashada gets a promise of 4 years and he busts in year one so the NIL group cuts him loose to allocate their funds to a new QB. Don't you think the new QB will be aware that the previous star was cut loose? How long before that reputation causes kids to choose differently. The NFL isn't just a business, it has collusion on its side with the draft so kids can't help it when they get drafted by garbage franchises. Coveted high school players can make choices and will want to get "guaranteed" money if it's available to them.

Yes, I understand that part, which will very likely play in. OTOH, these "NIL group" are going to want some ROI and they are just boosters with money, not tied to the university. So let's say Rashada doesn't play his first year: Okay fine, he's a five-star that isn't quite ready. But let's say he still isn't starting by Year Two, or he starts but is starting to look like maybe he's a bust. Is some booster going to want to keep paying him huge bucks?

Bottom line, is there enough money at these college football factories to pay the stars, the hopefully-future-stars and also the underperformers? I can't imagine there is.

I don't claim to have the answers to any of this, except for I can see it getting very crazy, very soon.
Unit2Sucks
Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

GivemTheAxe said:

MilleniaBear said:

All very good questions.

Yes, I understand that part, which will very likely play in. OTOH, these "NIL group" are going to want some ROI and they are just boosters with money, not tied to the university. So let's say Rashada doesn't play his first year: Okay fine, he's a five-star that isn't quite ready. But let's say he still isn't starting by Year Two, or he starts but is starting to look like maybe he's a bust. Is some booster going to want to keep paying him huge bucks?

Bottom line, is there enough money at these college football factories to pay the stars, the hopefully-future-stars and also the underperformers? I can't imagine there is.

I don't claim to have the answers to any of this, except for I can see it getting very crazy, very soon.
All I can say is that it appears to be a free market with very little regulation on either the supply or the demand side and that is unlikely to change in the near-term. People being rational actors, I expect that we will see some players bust and still get paid. I've seen that in other markets - for example, when insurance companies first started offering cyber insurance or rep and warranty insurance they were pretty good about paying out claims because they wanted to grow the market and have more policy holders. When the markets mature, they tighten up a bit.
Strykur
Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

GivemTheAxe said:

MilleniaBear said:

All very good questions.

Yeah NIL is not going to need much regulating, this is all going to start collapsing in 3-5 years when guys start hitting the portal and boosters begin to re-think shelling out $20-30 million/year for rosters that go 8-4/7-5.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear

Did Cal's/Knowlton's offer reach 7 figures?
calumnus
Strykur said:

Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

GivemTheAxe said:

MilleniaBear said:

All very good questions.

Yeah NIL is not going to need much regulating, this is all going to start collapsing in 3-5 years when guys start hitting the portal and boosters begin to re-think shelling out $20-30 million/year for rosters that go 8-4/7-5.

Yeah, to the question of "what happens if he is a bust" well it depends on two factors: the goodwill of the boosters and/or the NIL contract they signed. Tgst is why the players are retaining lawyers for this.

As I said before, the market is just starting out, so there will be mistakes on both sides, wild swings in price, until it settles out as most markets eventually do.
evanluck
This is not sustainable. Some crazy stuff like this will happen initially but programs who build like this will rot from the inside.

Cal can put something together in this new world. Use NIL to facilitate an enhanced student athlete experience. Tutors, meal money, housing, everything focused on compensating the players for participating in an insanely demanding extra curricular activity that is revenue generating.

For players who have the talent to play at the next level include training and preparation for that. The Cal environment has always been good at producing players that maximize their potential at the next level. Lean into this strength by using NIL money to train the type of character and habits necessary to succeed at the next level and beyond.

Do this right and we will attract transfers who realize big money NIL programs are just treating them like commodities and will be looking for a program that refocuses them on their love of football and a true student athlete experience.

We can do this. We have the right coach for an approach like this and the foundation is already put in place. We are just a few extra wins from having a story that we can really sell.

Go Bears!
Big C
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear said:

It's not "Cal/Knowlton" that makes the offers. I think we are working on a NIL package that offers some compensation to all the student-athletes... maybe a little more to the Rashadas of the world. Anybody involved in this care to enlighten us as to the progress?
GivemTheAxe
evanluck said:

This is not sustainable. Some crazy stuff like this will happen initially but programs who build like this will rot from the inside.

Cal can put something together in this new world. Use NIL to facilitate an enhanced student athlete experience. Tutors, meal money, housing, everything focused on compensating the players for participating in an insanely demanding extra curricular activity that is revenue generating.

For players who have the talent to play at the next level include training and preparation for that. The Cal environment has always been good at producing players that maximize their potential at the next level. Lean into this strength by using NIL money to train the type of character and habits necessary to succeed at the next level and beyond.

Do this right and we will attract transfers who realize big money NIL programs are just treating them like commodities and will be looking for a program that refocuses them on their love of football and a true student athlete experience.

We can do this. We have the right coach for an approach like this and the foundation is already put in place. We are just a few extra wins from having a story that we can really sell.

Go Bears!

To paraphrase Jim Carrey: So you're saying that Cal's got a chance … to go to the RB.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
Big C said:

It's not "Cal/Knowlton" that makes the offers. I think we are working on a NIL package that offers some compensation to all the student-athletes... maybe a little more to the Rashadas of the world. Anybody involved in this care to enlighten us as to the progress?
I would hope our Dir. of Athletics takes active leadership, organizing, and rainmaking roles in that effort, including informing our coaches how much Cal boosters are willing to pay a specific elite QB recruit. Is he a glorified spectator of this process.

Is our NIL package really designed right now to give only "a little more" to highly rated recruits?
Bobodeluxe
So, California will play this game, and win?

Lots of organized competition

Pony up
Big C

Big C said:

I would hope our Dir. of Athletics takes active leadership, organizing, and rainmaking roles in that effort, including informing our coaches how much Cal boosters are willing to pay a specific elite QB recruit. Is he a glorified spectator of this process.

Is our NIL package really designed right now to give only "a little more" to highly rated recruits?

My best answer here is, "I don't know." I'm pretty sure that we did not offer anything to Rashada that was even remotely close to what his 4-5 "finalists" offered.

I'd love to hear, from someone who actually knows, how are NIL program is developing.

Ultimately, a "star player" will be able to make his/her own money on the open market by selling his/her name, image and likeness. That is what this was supposed to be about, before it devolved into rich boosters simply paying for players and future players. It seems like a total mess right now.
bluehenbear
Quote:

University of Michigan
MGoDAO
Reece Kurdyla and Draftly
MGoDAO has partnered with Draftly to form the first ever college sports Decentralized Autonomous Organization (DAO) for fans, by fans. MGoDAO and Draftly are focused on uniting college fans and athletes utilizing Web3 technology. The DAO will sell a Season 1 NFT Pass for access to the community, virtual and in-person events and more.
< chef's kiss.gif >
GivemTheAxe
Big C said:

Big C said:

My best answer here is, "I don't know." I'm pretty sure that we did not offer anything to Rashada that was even remotely close to what his 4-5 "finalists" offered.

I'd love to hear, from someone who actually knows, how are NIL program is developing.

Ultimately, a "star player" will be able to make his/her own money on the open market by selling his/her name, image and likeness. That is what this was supposed to be about, before it devolved into rich boosters simply paying for players and future players. It seems like a total mess right now.

I couldn't agree more with your final sentence.

It's a total mess right now.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.