cal's monster offensive line

1,550,511 Views | 10042 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Shocky1
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?

got to do the hang on the field with promising true freshman defensive back sailasa vadrawale from rohnert park who wuz also surrounded by his beautiful family

sai tole me that he weighed 160 lbs in high school, that he weighs 170 lbs right now & that he hopes to weigh 180+ lbs for 2024 spring ball

the surprising news is that the staff wants the ball hawk with elite closing speed to play safety

future bay areal california golden bear starter#
Shocky1

had a funny conversation with blue shirting true freshman tight end ben marshall from tennessee who tole me when I asked if he missed eating at shoney's that a bunch of their restaurants are closing their doors to which I tole him that's a good thing because they serve 100% dog food which made him laugh

ben tole me he weighed 215 lbs in high school & that right now he's built himself up thru hard work in the s&c program to 235 lbs...marshall knows he's gotta add strength to his 6'5" frame in order block in the acc to complement his elite pass receiving skills

honestly think is ben continues to build up his body that we're gonna see a lethal receiving tandem over the middle of the field in 2024 with ben & potential acc 1st team jack endries

shoney's>>>>30 day deep fried barracuda at sexy fish in miami>>starving to death
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/CtaLlz4PhEb
congratulations to bastian swinney earning a starting spot at guard in tonite's big game victory vs stanford...matthew wykoff also gotta lotta snaps, both guys are critical to coach bloesch & coach saffell plans for the inaugural 2024 acc season

really loved seeing cindo during pregame warm ups encouraging & coaching up his brothers for life including the brother from a different mother barrett miller, the remarkably developing tj session & the literally unlimited upside sioape vatikani

cal's monster offensive line (got high gpa, high character young men that got unlimited futures in just about EVERYTHING other than handstands)#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (and shocky's alma mater)

https://instagr.am/p/Czjr8ukM8Ru
Shocky1

the magic of cal football#
Shocky1
kalolo ta'aga is gonna publicly announce for arizona today
Shocky1

funniest comment from the big game (overheard by the women's bathroom with 50+ females waiting outside in a linear line)

california golden bear female to her friend (also dressed in cal gear) in a very matter of fact voice:

"you know why women's bathrooms are so poorly designed?...they are designed by men"

real talk#
82gradDLSdad
Shocky1 said:

funniest comment from the big game (overheard by the women's bathroom with 50+ females waiting outside in a linear line)

california golden bear female to her friend (also dressed in cal gear) in a very matter of fact voice:

"you know why women's bathrooms are so poorly designed?...they are designed by men"

real talk#

BS. My wife and I use a lot of public bathrooms in SF on our walks. She's done before me. She's an Olympic level peeer. Get in, get out ladies.
Shocky1

watching/experiencing cal football on tv is for losers

where's waldo? (the most negative whiny azz posters r nowhere in site)#
Shocky1
^ r there any oscar awards voters who don't actually see all the movies but still have an (uniformed) opinion re: what's the best movie of the year?

wut?...that makes no sense

r u gonna be at the rose bowl next saturday nite at 7:30 pm (maybe with an early dinner reservation on the patio at nobu malibu)?

mbBear
Shocky1 said:

watching/experiencing cal football on tv is for losers

where's waldo? (the most negative whiny azz posters r nowhere in site)#
Some of us live far away, and/or don't have the means to make it out to games on a regular basis. There were watch parties across the country, which in my past years, I have helped organize locally.
I have watched games until 2a et and will do so again vs. the Ruins.
So, you want to call some of losers, or you want us to stay engaged the best way we can?

New hashtag for you:
#FUShocky
Shocky1
mb, those are all reasonable comments & agreed that fans should do wut they can but wouldn't u agree that those berkeley grads that live in california & particularly nor cal that can probably afford a tank of gas & a nosebleed tix could probably get to cal football games instead of constantly making consistently negative uniformed commentary about our hard working true student athletes while watching games on tv from their candy azz soft sofas?

fyi, wut u suggest above is anatomically impossible particularly for those with t-rex arms at noon yoga class today

https://instagr.am/p/CnsJsFBymKa
the blue light of the future across the lake can only be accessed by participation (a wish don't feed hungry rescue doggys, it's time to take action)#

the rose bowl is gonna be bear territory next saturday nite#

mbBear
Shocky1 said:

mb, those are all reasonable comments & agreed that fans should do wut they can but wouldn't u agree that those that berkeley grads that live in california & particularly nor cal that can probably afford a tank of gas & a nosebleed tix could probably get to cal football games instead of constantly making consistently negative uniformed commentary about our hard working student athletes while watching games on tv from their candy azz soft sofas?

fyi, wut u suggest above is anatomically impossible even for those with a noon t-rex yoga class today

https://instagr.am/p/CnsJsFBymKa
the blue light of the future across the lake can only be accessed by participation (a wish don't feed hungry rescue doggys, it's time to take action)#

the rose bowl is gonna be bear territory next saturday nite#

You have a platform, you think your platform is important, at least in your own head....so say what you mean, and don't leave it open for interpretation.
As you would say :Got it?
Shocky1

thx u for understanding mb (shocky wuz raised by a berkeley grad tiger moms who tole him that speaking truthfully from the heart is always ok but as result he don't got a good social filtering mechanism), who knew coach wilcox is the lead singer for blur?
AZ Bear
Shocky, I enjoyed all the tidbits and insights from the players you talked to at the game. As someone who attends 2 to maybe 4 games a year in person and watches the rest on TV, it was especially nice to get a feel for the mood and tone of the actual event.

(Side note: I was not as offended as some by the "watching on tv is for losers" comment, but an excellent point was made that the more precise we are with our words, the more understanding and the less misunderstanding there is).

My biggest takeaway from the gameday Monster interviews: I'm intrigued by the idea that Tine and Morrow could become bookend offensive tackles for the Bears someday, maybe sooner than I'd guessed.

Some thoughts on next year's offensive line.....

- We lose Miller and may lose Driscoll to law school (although he's not a tackle, other openings on the line may affect who plays tackle).

- There's also been some who have wondered whether TJ Session will return (I really hope he does -- he's a candidate more most improved player).

- I would say Wykoff has been fine, but the fact that he's lost some snaps this year and lost the starter role for the Big Game indicates he hasn't quite played to the very high upside expectations many at BI put on him (including me), or at least that he's not quite a finished product yet.

- Swinney is in the mix for next year, based on the snaps he's earned. I don't know that much about him, but apparently he's the most ready of any of our backup O-linemen who hadn't played much before this season.

- Rhome is the backup swing tackle. It will be interesting to see if he returns next year....I'm guessing he might have a chance to graduate and transfer somewhere else where he could possibly start. I hope he stays -- we need all the depth we can get.

- That leaves guard Vatikani as the one rock who I will insert into my 2024 starting projections on our OL.

Questions for Shocky and others:

- Do you have the sense that Tine or Morrow could be ready to be solid starters next year, if needed? Any thoughts on which of them might be closer (I would guess Tine).

- I'm thinking they probably have more long term potential than Rhome. Do you think they'll be ahead of Rhome by next fall?

- Thoughts on Swinney and/or any of our other Bear Monsters who are waiting in the wings? Is there anyone else on the roster now who could be a major contributor?

It would be a tall order for Knape to come in and play as a true freshman, but I'm interested in peoples' expectations and hopes on all the above....

Shocky1
zony, as someone who also says "clothes r for losers," "golf carts r for losers" & "underwear is for losers" maybe some people should take throwaway comments about watching on tv not so seriously but everyone is entitled to feel the way they wanna feel (learned that in yoga)

so let's discuss cal's monster offensive line, under angus (who wuz not a technician & spent a lotta time driving back & forth from the family home in reno) the bears had clearly the worst offensive line in the then power 5 conferences but also possibly even all of college football (relative to the talent level) because of beyond breaking bad coaching by mcclure which wuz exacerbated by billy m''s stale & predictable offense that fooled no-one

enter coach bloesch who is in my not so humble opinion the best development coach on the staff & the best coach overall of the coach wilcox era along with superstar gerald alexander...ive been on the field during warm ups for every game at memorial stadium this season & literally watched every pregame rep of all the trench workers, the level of direct (clear & concise without being demeaning) disciplined attention to details is remarkable...the players luv & respect coach bloesch tho he's not a cozy warm blanket kinda guy, he's more the king of the hill in a professional way...an ancillary benefit of mike's coaching is that future head coach in training mike saffell has also taken the next step in his coaching progression, saffell is a rising star

kinda funny to me how fans luv breaking down the various position groups particularly the quarterbacks...the reality is that this wuz a 1-10 cal team this season without coach bloesch replacing angus...this is not a hyperbole, this is the stone cold truth

so how is 2024 shaping up for cal's monster offensive line?

with kalolo ta'aga silently committing on his official visit to arizona this weekend, the 2024 high class might include only future starter 3.8 gpa tyler knape who is gonna be a fan favorite with his non stop motor...but he's only 275 lbs right now, he's realistically gonna blueshirt next fall to get to 300+ lbs & then compete for playing time in 2025 spring ball

regarding high school recruiting the bears wuz at a disadvantage this cycle as coach bloesch is not well known outside of texas, he hasn't put a bunch guys into the nfl like oregon state's coach m or washington's coach scott huff but mark my words that's gonna happen in berkeley if bloesch decides that the left coast for the conservative coach (when stormin' the field last nite i ran by mike and yelled "cal's monster offensive line, baby" which resulted in a kinda "can you believe this crazy guy" look from him) is gonna be a forever home for him & his family

the staff's #1 priority when the transfer portal reopens on december 4th is gonna be cal's monster offensive line

the challenge right now from a roster management perspective is that this season the bears only had 15 scholly trench workers because of poor recruiting with both angus & the semi-retired greatwood who wuz more interested in calling his grandkids in bend on his flip phone than prospects, that number needs to be rightsized to 16 because of the necessary maturation period at this position

so what's the status of the current 15 schollys?

the most remarkable player in the program cindo is out of eligibility as is starting right tackle barrett miller

starting left tackle tj session gotta decision to make as does center brian driscoll whose dad tole me he's gona take the lsat this spring & may attend law school next fall depending upon the admissions process...he also tole me that brian will either play for the bears in 2024 or retire from football/go to law school, driscoll will NOT enter the portal & play for someone other than his 50 year brothers

right guard sioape vatikani (4.0 gpa in high school) got arguably more nfl upside than anybody in the program & is expected to return next season but won't reach his full potential until he stops taking plays off & plays with a nfl non stop motor...sioape had a couple of physical as **** crashing blocks last nite against the cards, his best football is all in front of him including ucla next weekend

now finally healthy for the 1st time during his time in berkeley, bastian swinney got a well deserved start in the big game at right guard, he's a lock to start in 2024 as is developing texas a&m transfer matthew wykoff whose play this season wuz uneven but still a huge upgrade over the production of the 2022 players

6'5" 295 lbs trent ramsey is also expected to return & make a move this spring...the strong student is a logan paul lookalike & got the nasty azz edge that is necessary to play in coach bloesch's system

graduating seniors brayden rohme, everrett johnson & ender aguilar all got decisions to make, do they wanna use their final year of eligibility in berkeley or move on to life after football or perhaps even enter the grad transfer portal?...if they enter the portal, wut's their market value?

and then there's the 3 studly huge upside blueshirt lineman who my conversations with them last nite are detailed in this thread in martin tine, nick morrow & frederick williams iii...very excited to see wut they bring to the field during 2024 spring ball, all 3 tole me that they primarily view themselves as tackles but open to playing any position on offensive line to help the team

an inspiring story of perseverance in the face of tragedy (the unexpected death of his father) center dylan jemegaard got one more year of academic work to earn a brutally academically challenging berkeley engineering degree...dylan is respected by everyone in the program & his degree from the #1 ranked public university in the world is gonna be a financial lifesaver in helping his large family back in seattle

nobody outside of the coaching staff has watched/closely studied the offensive line more intensely than the monster & that's not gonna change heading into the 2024 spring ball & fall season...these are some amazing young men & each with a unique background story

cal's monster offensive line (is a work in process)#

AZ Bear
Yeah, if Knape is only 275 lb then we are looking at 2025 at the earliest for him to start road grading opponents in the ACC.

I love breaking down the O-Line position because I know how important it is for any team and because I know how much it has held back our team in 2022 and other recent past years.

Also, OL is by far the position group that requires the longest development time, so recruiting mistakes can take a long time to reveal themselves and to correct. Plus as Shocky as pointed out, Cal is several players below the number of O-linemen we should have.

It's frustrating that we keep losing out on OL recruits, whether HS or transfer portal. You can't win all recruiting battles but I'll feel better when we sign a couple of key guys and when we have retained all or most of our current Monsters that we want to keep..... Session and Driscoll among guys I'm worried about,.......plus don't have any negative surprise departures -- really need to keep Vatikani and Wykoff,......... plus retain whichever of the reserves the coaches believe are crucial for the future).

Let's crank up the NIL machine to provide attractive and appropriate packages for all of the above members of Cal's Monster offensive line!

Lastly, 100% in agreement that keeping Bloesch as long as possible is a key success factor for Wilcox. Also agree that he and his family may not see the Bay Area as their permanent dream home -- though maybe they will.

Shocky1
zony, coach bloesch & coach saffell are as frustrated as anybody re: the 2024 high school recruiting

the reality is that high school recruiting is a long game vs transfer portal speed dating which is a short game

marshall, benji & the recruiting team need to identify 2025 prospects & get them to accept invitations to cal's next junior day, that's the 1st step to successful recruiting with prospects & their families on campus hearing the california golden bear recruiting pitch re: a 50 year decision

that really didn't happen for the 2024 cycle as coach bloesch wuz brand new from texas

if we get prospects to cal's junior day, this will facilitate getting them back during the fall for official visits & hopefully closing on them at that time...we never got the helton bros or kalolo on official visits this cycle

luv ur passion for the trench workers, amigo
oskiswifeshusband
We need to clo$e on portal OL this year
Shocky1
jaydn ott's respectful kneel down before the goal line wuz coach wilcox's brilliant tip of the hat to stanford university including condoleezza rice, the prez & the athletic director for bringing the university of california, berkeley into the acc along with them

all the dumb azz talk about running up the score, etc. is just clueless talk by those who don't fully comprehend how close cal football wuz to extinction with the 78 year old chancellor & her dumb as **** athletic director sitting on the sidelines eating popcorn

all of us owe a major debt of gratitude to the dealmakers at leland stanford university, justin understands this as well as anyone & ima proud the jaydn just wants to win football games & not embarazz anyone by running up the score on their home field

even my 50+ headstand stomach crunches on the 50 yard line stanford logo after stormin' the field wuz done respectfully in gratitude to our beautiful neighbors down the peninsula
Shocky1
oskiswifeshusband said:

We need to clo$e on portal OL this year
oskisgirlfriendisamaleazzstripper, 1000%, plz reread my scholly allocation post above, literally almost half of our current 15 scholly trench workers could potentially not return in 2024

but we don't need any injured retreads or physically unable to compete ivy league guys to take premium schollys

and most importantly everyone the in program gotta share the love with tj & brian

bearsandgiants
The furd dLine must be awful, but our monster oLine looked fantastic overall yesterday. First time in years a Cal quarterback had all day to throw, on several occasions. It was so nice to see.
Big C
bearsandgiants said:

The furd dLine must be awful, but our monster oLine looked fantastic overall yesterday. First time in years a Cal quarterback had all day to throw, on several occasions. It was so nice to see.

I love the progress the O-line has made in just one year. And yet, Jaydn Ott had quite a number of carries in which he was stopped for no gain (or less than 3 yards anyway) or even thrown for a loss. And yes, the Furd D-line is awful.
NVBear78
Shocky1 said:

ucla update: inside backer femi oladejo has publicly commented about the division within the bruins football program & wipeout j mike (28 receptions for 428 yards in westwood vs 65 receptions for 755 yards in berkeley) whose nfl draft stock is plummeting (lack of development with running disciplined routes) are likely to not be returning to ucla in 2024 & entering the transfer portal (if they can be eligible for a 2nd transfer)

wasserman is right (retain the unlikeable arrogant chipster, he hasn't "lost" the team)#
Shocky, can you shed any further light on division in team at UCLA? Is this still the case after big win vs rival U$C yesterday? Any press coverage of this?
sycasey
Big C said:

bearsandgiants said:

I love the progress the O-line has made in just one year. And yet, Jaydn Ott had quite a number of carries in which he was stopped for no gain (or less than 3 yards anyway) or even thrown for a loss. And yes, the Furd D-line is awful.
They also had two third-and-short plays where they just let a rusher go right up the middle unblocked, resulting in a sack and a punt. Those were pretty bad.

That said, they do seem to have improved over the course of the season. (Or maybe we're just playing weaker defenses now.)
Big C
NVBear78 said:

Shocky1 said:

ucla update: inside backer femi oladejo has publicly commented about the division within the bruins football program & wipeout j mike (28 receptions for 428 yards in westwood vs 65 receptions for 755 yards in berkeley) whose nfl draft stock is plummeting (lack of development with running disciplined routes) are likely to not be returning to ucla in 2024 & entering the transfer portal (if they can be eligible for a 2nd transfer)

wasserman is right (retain the unlikeable arrogant chipster, he hasn't "lost" the team)#
Shocky, can you shed any further light on division in team at UCLA? Is this still the case after big win vs rival U$C yesterday? Any press coverage of this?

I love it (even though, ultimately, it sucks for us) when players leave to go to something "better" and then find out -- oops -- it's actually not better.

FUCLA. ("division"? you're not even Math majors!)

U$C sucks. (How's the team chemistry down there, Lincoln? Well, at least you have a mansion by the Pacific!)
Shocky1

https://stats.pac-12.com/sports/fball/2023-24/leaders

big c, sycasey, bears&giants, let's look at some metrics in evaluating the 2023 cal's monster offensive line, ok?

last season the bears wuz 12th in the pac 12 in rushing yardage, this season jaydn ott is leading the pac 12 in rushing with a 118 yards per game which is 14 more yards than oregon state's damien martinez & an unreal 27 more yards than the conference's #3 rusher oregon's bucky irving

this season the bears o-line has given up only 17 sacks thru the stanford game, last season the bears qbs got sacked 31 times & in 2021 25 times

yeah cal's monster offensive line has undergone a major upgrade transformation as a direct result of coach bloesch & coach saffell

pounds for ground (at the university of calveston)#

harebear
this season the bears o-line has given up only 17 sacks thru the stanford game...can anybody find the # of sacks allowed for the 2022 season?

AZ Bear
sycasey said:

They also had two third-and-short plays where they just let a rusher go right up the middle unblocked, resulting in a sack and a punt. Those were pretty bad.

Sycasey, these two plays spiked my blood pressure. I hate to nitpick Spavital, who has been been doing pretty well calling plays of late....but....on those two plays he either had an empty backfield from the beginning, or had Ott motion out so that it was an empty backfield at the snap.

I had been thinking maybe we should run it with Ott and then go for it on 4th down if we didn't make the line to gain. The Stanford defense may have been thinking that was a possibility too. Then Spav empties the backfield and every knows it will be a pass and not a run.

I'm no offensive coordinator but if the defense has to worry about Jadyn Ott running the ball for 3 yards, doesn't that force them to account for that? Also if it's a pass the RB can pick up a blitzer and then leak outside for a dump off pass. Options.

So both times I was loudly complaining about the empty backfield when the ball was snapped and a Stanford defender -- BOTH TIMES -- went right up the middle virtually unblocked (no RB to pick up the rusher, duh) to crush Mendoza for an immediate sack and end to the drive.

I had to vent that here because I was so pissed at the time.

Hey, we won the Big Game so I'm happy. But the UCLA D-Line will eat us alive if we do that.
Shocky1
^^ thx hare
AZ Bear
Shocky1 said:

Shocky, I can see Femi graduating this year and being eligible for a transfer with immediate eligibility. But J-Mike has only been in school 5 semesters, so assuming he's not on track to graduate how could he be eligible for a 2nd transfer?

Also I am a bit concerned that Ethan Garbers has returned from injury and had a lot of success against USC. How very Cal-like for our opponent to get healthy and get their mojo back just in time to play us. What are the odds J-Mike goes off against us next week?

I have a better idea -- how bout if Jeremiah Hunter goes off in his Cal finale and outplays lil' brother J-Mike? Even better -- Hunter does that and decides to return to Cal next year!
Shocky1
NVBear78 said:

Shocky1 said:

napa, ima not aware of any press coverage of the ucla division primarily because chip kelly does not allow the media to access his program (kinda like mark fox)

a usc win is gonna stem some of the flow of transfer portal announcements by ucla players that are being discussed thru backchannels but imo as it relates to players known to cal football j mike (unless the 2nd transfer rule prohibits that movement) & qb justyn martin are still gonna be gone & femi wants out too which might happen as a grad transfer

chip has alienated the players & their families, the local & national media & the ucla major nil donors with the exception of casey wasserman (wife lauren ziffren is a berkeley grad) & troy aikman

kinda funny reading the posts on another thread debating whether or not to schedule ucla again, that's not how this works...there is zero chance the ucla athletic director is gonna schedule us again in our lifetimes unless mandated by the california board of regents, got it?

and that's why those who love the magic of cal football will find their way to the rose bowl next saturday nite at 7:30 pm as the bears offensive will be confronted by arguably the best defensive unit they will play this season particularly with respects to the bruins ability to consistently wreak havoc with pressure on the quarterback...this game will be a litmus test for spav's ability to innovatively scheme quick strikes by nando before the heat arrives in the backfield
Shocky1
zony, agreed that the return of chase garbers is a boost for the bruins but keep in mind he only threw for 155 yards against the trojans, he's a game manager & not an elite qb
oskiswifeshusband
- Jmart should have stayed with Cal.

- on what ground would jmike transfer without sitting out?
Shocky1
^ i dunno that's a good question but he's definitely not happy with his utilization this season with less than half the receptions of last season
sonofabear51
Shocky, what role/impact will knowlton have on scheduling fucla next year? I say no way, same goes for osu & WSU.
Also, in the $c/fucla game, J Mike seemed to be ignored. They went repeatedly to Late, among others.

Thoughts?
First Page Last Page
Page 180 of 288

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.