cal's monster offensive line

1,818,339 Views | 11116 Replies | Last: 36 min ago by Shocky1
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1 said:

^ calalum, from my perspective it wuz yet another interior run call that wuz stuffed by the aggies d but fortunately jaydn bounced the play outside for the touchdown

if coach bloesch & the staff can't figure outta way to call PITCHOUTS on the edges in open space jaydn is gonna rush for 700+ yards this season & probably get seriously injured with d loaded up violent collisions in the box

100% But note that on the one running play that did go outside the tackles (not by design), Ott picked up a huge block from a WR. You can't fault the WRs for not blocking on runs up the middle.
AZ Bear
Despite some obvious negatives today, there are also a bunch of positives. Here are a couple that leap to mind:

1) Dyches looks like he can be a real weapon. Excited to see him used more, and Fernando likes the short-to-medium range vertical pass to the TEs, so I'm looking to see them gash some defenses with this soon.

2) Nyziah Hunter followed up a very good fall camp by balling out in the 2nd half today. Yeah, some of our most exciting WRs were out today, but Hunter stepped up and showed he can play. Mavin Anderson played pretty well too. (I'd like to see Trond get more involved, and where was Starling today?). Our WR corps is deep -- I didn't expect us to need the depth so early, but we have options.

3) Not a good day for the OL, but here too, our expanded depth paid off. We need to figure out the right puzzle pieces for Auburn, but at least there are still a few options, even with 2 starters out. Hoping there aren't additional OL injuries from today.

4) Our CBs are ball hawks. After a weak start today, the secondary looked good later. Kudos to Nohl Williams (player of the game today) and Marcus Harris for being ball hawks.

5) Ryan Coe has a good leg and gives us a weapon we didn't have last year (in terms of range). Punter Wilson was decent today (though he can do better).

6) The DL stepped it up in the 2nd half. Bollers looked decent today, and Fall and Tonkoura got their feet wet -- I think they will help us this year. Ricky Correia is a very underrated player for us.

7) Newsflash: Uluave is still a baller. Buchanon looked a touch slow to me, but he can tackle and he seems like a smart player. They make a nice ILB duo.

I'll leave it there....don't feel like reviewing the negatives right now, nor verbalizing my injury concerns.

Since I'm flying (and driving) all the way out to Auburn, I really wish we could face them with more of a full deck. But at least we have more depth than we have in recent years.
Shocky1
^ zony, 100% agreed, corey dyches is NOT candy azz soft, he's a full contact willing blocker with ELITE receiving skills

see u in alabama!!

https://instagr.am/p/C_WOIKmPM-U
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/CxW30vjAZRH
pittsburgh panthers 55
kent state golden flashes 24

defensively pitt lost a lotta talent in their front 7 in the offseason

alabama transfer eli holstein is qb1 & completed 75% of his passes for 333 yards & rb1 desmond reid carried the rock 14 times for 145 yards
Big C
AZ Bear said:

Despite some obvious negatives today, there are also a bunch of positives. Here are a couple that leap to mind:

1) Dyches looks like he can be a real weapon. Excited to see him used more, and Fernando likes the short-to-medium range vertical pass to the TEs, so I'm looking to see them gash some defenses with this soon.

2) Nyziah Hunter followed up a very good fall camp by balling out in the 2nd half today. Yeah, some of our most exciting WRs were out today, but Hunter stepped up and showed he can play. Mavin Anderson played pretty well too. (I'd like to see Trond get more involved, and where was Starling today?). Our WR corps is deep -- I didn't expect us to need the depth so early, but we have options.

3) Not a good day for the OL, but here too, our expanded depth paid off. We need to figure out the right puzzle pieces for Auburn, but at least there are still a few options, even with 2 starters out. Hoping there aren't additional OL injuries from today.

4) Our CBs are ball hawks. After a weak start today, the secondary looked good later. Kudos to Nohl Williams (player of the game today) and Marcus Harris for being ball hawks.

5) Ryan Coe has a good leg and gives us a weapon we didn't have last year (in terms of range). Punter Wilson was decent today (though he can do better).

6) The DL stepped it up in the 2nd half. Bollers looked decent today, and Fall and Tonkoura got their feet wet -- I think they will help us this year. Ricky Correia is a very underrated player for us.

7) Newsflash: Uluave is still a baller. Buchanon looked a touch slow to me, but he can tackle and he seems like a smart player. They make a nice ILB duo.

I'll leave it there....don't feel like reviewing the negatives right now, nor verbalizing my injury concerns.

Since I'm flying (and driving) all the way out to Auburn, I really wish we could face them with more of a full deck. But at least we have more depth than we have in recent years.

AZ Bear, those are some legitimate, positive takeaways from today's game! Not a great showing for the Bears, but things could've been worse.
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/CJd-wy_M7Ck
syracuse orange 38
ohio bobcats 22

the orangemen d is nothing to write home about, gave up 203 yards to ohio's rb1

offensively qb1 kyle mccord lit it up for 354 yards on 27 of 39 completions
82gradDLSdad
calumnus said:

Shocky1 said:

^ calalum, from my perspective it wuz yet another interior run call that wuz stuffed by the aggies d but fortunately jaydn bounced the play outside for the touchdown

if coach bloesch & the staff can't figure outta way to call PITCHOUTS on the edges in open space jaydn is gonna rush for 700+ yards this season & probably get seriously injured with d loaded up violent collisions in the box

100% But note that on the one running play that did go outside the tackles (not by design), Ott picked up a huge block from a WR. You can't fault the WRs for not blocking on runs up the middle.

How about on the few WR screens that were stuffed? I'm seriously asking. It didn't look like good blocking but it also may have been bad play calling and/or lack of audibles when you see the receivers covered up and a S or LB cheating out to the side the screen is going to. Bottom line, their WR screens worked better than ours.
Shocky1
cal marketing customer service gameday interaction:

had a really bad customer experience alongside my diehard bears fan niece sidney at will call with assistant director of ticket operations carlos nunez...nunez basically lied to me telling me that will call is not responsible for the distribution of pre game field passes (which is 100% not true) & tried to have me wait by a closed window...that brush off **** is not gonna work with the monster, tole him to come on out of the booth & talk to me in person when he asked me to "stand aside" so he "could help others"...this doggy dog did not "stand aside"

tole carlos who to call to solve this problem & he tole me he "didn't know their phone number" of a fellow athletic department employee...cannot make this **** up, r we at cali dmv or something??

wut???????

finally others got involved & shocky got his passes

me & sidney get to the north tunnel entrance, coach mark madsen & his family (with their baby stroller) are being denied access to the field for reasons that aren't clear to anyone, mad dog is tryna to be nice about it but he's clearly frustrated

get out on the field & see markeisha pointing at huge swaths of 30,000+ completely EMPTY seats while in conversation with knowlton, the con artist wuz nodding in agreement

https://instagr.am/p/C-m0ug8sMtM
worthless lazy azz bureaucrats in berkeley (enabled by chancellor lyons)#
concernedparent
AZ Bear said:

(I'd like to see Trond get more involved, and where was Starling today?).

Starling played in the 4th quarter. I saw him pancake a DB while blocking on a run play. His build and physicality really stand out on the field.
HoopDreams
AZ says:
"Newsflash: Uluave is still a baller"

Saw he changed his number to Zero

I didn't even know FB players could use 0 and it's interesting that a defensive player is using it since the lower numbers are usually for offensive players

I thought it showed some swag, and he backed it with 8 tackles, a TFL and INT

Econ141
Where was the Ohio st transfer WR? Did he get magically injured to?

Also is Justin williams-thomas still with the team. He looked great last year and thought he was going to be part of the rotation this year...

Any word on what happened to Callaway?
Shocky1

unlike shocky & his yoga buddy jaylen brown the cal football program don't believe in yoga practices in order to allow the body to fluidly absorb contact, there is a lotta wide receivers & running backs with injuries

potential wr starters kyion grayes is injured & dnp yesterday while tobias merriweather wuz on the sidelines with his helmet off...promising freshman josiah turner has been injured much of this fall

in the rb room justin williams also dnp with an injury while kadarius calloway got the **** knocked outta him...jaydn ott is getting a mri right now

with coach bloesch running all the running plays directly into the interior line of the scrimmage en route to a 2.7 yard average on the day (realistically the most abysmal rushing attack day in college football given the talent level in the cal rb room) it's great news that the jet is not injured after multiple play calls directly into 300+ lb defensive tackles without any PITCHOUTS

do the same **** & get the same **** results (remember shreveport)#
calumnus
82gradDLSdad said:

calumnus said:

Shocky1 said:

How about on the few WR screens that were stuffed? I'm seriously asking. It didn't look like good blocking but it also may have been bad play calling and/or lack of audibles when you see the receivers covered up and a S or LB cheating out to the side the screen is going to. Bottom line, their WR screens worked better than ours.

I'll go back and look, I don't remember them clearly. My point was there was an example of a key WR block on the TD.

However, I will say, UC Davis consistently used play action on nearly every pass.

Cal consistently telegraphed every play. Mendoza does a lot of things well, but he is tall and still stares down receivers too often. He is still best (great really) at quick passes over the middle. Too many of our plays take too long to develop despite having no deception incorporated. Rogers came in for a few plays and half his snaps looked like designed keepers. Davis figured that out quickly.

Hopefully we were sandbagging and they were pulling out all the stops, but based on yesterday's game, I would gladly switch OCs with UC Davis. Yes, UC Davis.
Shocky1

craig, gotta be honest with u, this is a really bad take on ur part considering ur paycheck is signed by markeisha everrett (and her enabler jim knowlton who hired her to sell/market football tixs even tho she had zero experience doing so)...and to be really honest with u, u should be replaced with a berkeley student dj who would defer to the cal band 90% of the time, yesterday's non performance of the cal band is one of the many endearing traditions of college football that is being eroded during the knowlton/markeisha era of destroying the enthusiasm of the bears gameday fanbase while simultaneously failing to develop new fans

last season shocky tried to have a conversation with markeisha on the field pregame re: FREE tixs for all students, she wuz both arrogant & dismissive...this off season kevin kennedy tried to have a conversation with markeisha re: cal billboards nationally, she wuz both disinterested & non innovative

yesterday there wuz 30,000+ EMPTY seats at memorial stadium, is that acceptable to u???...and why don't u play the stallion's mamushi???

craig, in the real world if ur really really BAD at ur job & unlikeable ur gonna get FIRED
Shocky1

2024 pga tour championship: 4th round update

CONGRATULATIONS to collin morikawa on his closing en fuego 66 to win the 72 hole stroke play tournament!!!:

1. collin morikawa: 22 under par
2. sahith theegala: 21 under par
3. scottie scheffler: 20 under par

fun fact: official world golf ranking points are based upon the 72 stroke play scores, not the convoluted (made for tv) fed ex deal

despite a double bogey 7 finish on the par 5 18th hole ben an shot a 69 & finished at 6 under par

next tournaments: collin (representing team usa) & ben (representing team international) will next compete at the president cup at royal montreal (blue course) later this month...max homa will find out in the next 24 hours if he made the usa team & will compete at the pga tournament at silverado (which he's won twice!) in 2 weeks as will his former teammate michael kim

and shocky will play with slim wadie (creighton grad) the new coore & crenshaw masterpiece in alabama later this week!!

Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/C_Wgi8mSqyK
california golden bear player of the game: nohl williams

80 yard kickoff return touchdown & an interception, williams is an elite taker with SPEED

yeah nohl is a killah mamushi & a star star star star star star

Pittstop
Shocky1 said:

unlike shocky & his yoga buddy jaylen brown the cal football program don't believe in yoga practices in order to allow the body to fluidly absorb contact, there is a lotta wide receivers & running backs with injuries

potential wr starters kyion grayes is injured & dnp yesterday while tobias merriweather wuz on the sidelines with his helmet off...promising freshman josiah turner has been injured much of this fall

in the rb room justin williams also dnp with an injury while kadarius calloway got the **** knocked outta him...jaydn ott is getting a mri right now

with coach bloesch running all the running plays directly into the interior line of the scrimmage en route to a 2.7 yard average on the day (realistically the most abysmal rushing attack day in college football given the talent level in the cal rb room) it's great news that the jet is not injured after multiple play calls directly into 300+ lb defensive tackles without any PITCHOUTS

Ott will not even sniff any Heisman votes with Bloesch calling the run package that he called in the bowl game, and again today. And Ott had similar results in both games since Bloesch took over the offensive play calling. The offensive run design HAS TO help - or at least 'facilitate' - the opportunity for Ott to 'get to' his skill set. It is impossible for a thoroughbred set track records unless you open the gates to let him loose on the track.

Econ141
100% - he has no idea what it takes to win in a power 5 as an OC. He should have been left as o-line coach and we should have hired a new OC. But guess what? Our below average coach has no Rolodex .... He is just well connected with other below average coaches (hence our QB coach hire as well).
Big C
Econ141 said:

100% - he has no idea what it takes to win in a power 5 as an OC. He should have been left as o-line coach and we should have hired a new OC. But guess what? Our below average coach has no Rolodex .... He is just well connected with other below average coaches (hence our QB coach hire as well).

This is purely my reading-between-the-lines recollection, but when Spav left, I think we promoted Bloesch because we were afraid of losing him (also he had worked as an OC). I almost got the impression that, to lure him here in the first place, we had maybe promised him that he was OC heir apparent.

At any rate, the biggest problem yesterday was the offensive linemen who were out. Shocky, isn't that what this thread is about? And can't you therefore snap your fingers or something and make them all healthy?
Shocky1
big c, injuries are piling up (due to the cal s&c program not incorporating yoga at a time when professional sports organizations are hiring yoga instructors to reduce injury frequency/severity) but with that being said the most important news in the cal football programs will be the results of jaydn ott's mri this afternoon

pitts, as long as coach bloesch keeps predictably sending running backs straight into defensive tackles (kinda like crashing cars into telephone poles) without any PITCHOUTS on the edges in open space yesterday's 2.7 average for rush plays is gonna keep happening & also be putting our students athletes in physically dangerous situations
Econ141
Would you agree that our 2nd and 3rd string lineman should be able to still manhandle the UC Davis dline or at the very least, open a crease for our all conference running back?

I mean this was a collosal demoralizer as a fan. Boring azz football since 2019.
Shocky1
econ, my guess is that there's a lot more parity in terms of the athleticism of d1 scholly football athletes than u think

this isn't the 1990s when football talent wuz stockpiled almost exclusively with the football factories
Cal_79
calumnus said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calumnus said:

Shocky1 said:

I'll go back and look, I don't remember them clearly. My point was there was an example of a key WR block on the TD.

However, I will say, UC Davis consistently used play action on nearly every pass.

Cal consistently telegraphed every play. Mendoza does a lot of things well, but he is tall and still stares down receivers too often. He is still best (great really) at quick passes over the middle. Too many of our plays take too long to develop despite having no deception incorporated. Rogers came in for a few plays and half his snaps looked like designed keepers. Davis figured that out quickly.

Hopefully we were sandbagging and they were pulling out all the stops, but based on yesterday's game, I would gladly switch OCs with UC Davis. Yes, UC Davis.

After so many years of this, it's apparent to me the unimaginative play calling isn't on the OC... it's on the HC.
Shocky1
79, agreed
Shocky1

https://instagr.am/p/C_Y2Wt0shRI
marketing 101: shocky's future t-rex yoga/meditation studio in yountville (next to bouchon bakery) got groupons!!!!!#
Shocky1

**** sc#
BearGreg
Staff
Pittstop said:

Shocky1 said:

Ott will not even sniff any Heisman votes with Bloesch calling the run package that he called in the bowl game, and again today. And Ott had similar results in both games since Bloesch took over the offensive play calling. The offensive run design HAS TO help - or at least 'facilitate' - the opportunity for Ott to 'get to' his skill set. It is impossible for a thoroughbred set track records unless you open the gates to let him loose on the track.

FYI - Bloesch conceived off and created all the running plays throughout the 2023 season. That aspect of the offense remains unchanged as he was the run game coordinator last season
smh
trivial pursuit.. shocky's fine borrowed photo of the head-standing gent, upside down thru the tunnel onto memorial field, was originally tweeted by coach madsen, of himself, early after his return to cal, same day as this..
Shocky1
greg, appreciate the insights, there wuz near zero PITCHOUTS last season either

bloesch obviously doesn't think PITCHOUTS to the edges in wide open space (usually one defender to beat) are a play worth conceiving for the bears run game arsenal, unfortunately saturday's 2.7 average rushing play yardage against a fcs defense suggests that offensive strategy might need to be rethunkable for auburn

would u agree that if fans in the stands can guess the rushing plays in advance isn't it probably pretty safe to assume that opposing defensive coordinators that do this for a living can probably also figure this **** out too?

if shocky hits an average of 2.7 trees with snappy hooks on the first couple of holes at peachtree next week he's gonna rethink that gameplan before his caddie & slim wadie dump his broken down sorry azz & he's then afterwards he's eating a tasty but kinda lonely lunch of chili mac with a small chocolate shake at the steak n shake in marietta all by his lonesome self

Goobear
Pitch outs…When Addison was assistant at Cal he told Musgrave to do it….When he finally did they scored TD's…Shocky is not always wrong….
Pittstop
BearGreg said:

Pittstop said:

Shocky1 said:

Maybe it's the actual play calling responsibilities that are holding him Back then. But every year he was an OC before this time, he had top 5 and top 10 offenses in the nation, from what I remember reading when he was first hired as a OL coach. So maybe he's still getting his package installed. I can't call it, but what we've seen so far 'ain't' it.

FYI - Bloesch conceived off and created all the running plays throughout the 2023 season. That aspect of the offense remains unchanged as he was the run game coordinator last season
Big C
Econ141 said:

Would you agree that our 2nd and 3rd string lineman should be able to still manhandle the UC Davis dline or at the very least, open a crease for our all conference running back?

I mean this was a collosal demoralizer as a fan. Boring azz football since 2019.

Two years ago, we had one of the worst O-lines ever. It's gotten better, but it's still hard for us to withstand two semi-last-minute injuries to starters. I'm not ready to give up yet, based on one bad half.

Agree with everybody that (paraphrase) Wilcox teams have never played with panache, with reckless abandon.
Pittstop
BearGreg said:

Pittstop said:

Shocky1 said:

Yes, I realize that. But, still - and I will repeat it - "Ott will not sniff even ONE Heisman vote if Bloesh continues to employ the same run play package that he's incorporated into his only two game plans since he became THE offensive coordinator." Maybe go back to utilizing those game plans he designed when he was only the run game coordinator.
Shocky1
Goobear said:

Pitch outs…When Addison was assistant at Cal he told Musgrave to do it….When he finally did they scored TD's…Shocky is not always wrong….
willem, addy is not a dumb azz like sgt schultz

https://instagr.am/p/C0j57NTPwjh

PITCHOUTS r kinda like going to the happiest place on planet earth (the end zones at memorial stadium)!!!#
Shocky1

marcus harris gonna get PAID (in the 2025 nfl draft)#
First Page Last Page
Page 305 of 318

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.