Atlantic Coast Conference ready to merge with The Pac4

59,183 Views | 473 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Klindergoff
nikeykid
How long do you want to ignore this user?

we will be linked to every conference like celebrities in the back page of the tabloids until our new home is found
Bobodeluxe
Try Europe? Expand semiprofessional football to an area already targeted by the nfl. Think of the marketing possibilities.
CalAlumnus13
Bobodeluxe said:

Try Europe? Expand semiprofessional football to an area already targeted by the nfl. Think of the marketing possibilities.
https://www.oxfordlancers.co.uk/
Bobodeluxe
CalAlumnus13 said:

Bobodeluxe said:

https://www.oxfordlancers.co.uk/
Ivy League ain't nothing when up against the Weed and Tea League.
sycasey
Okay, this report is interesting. Could be we are just kicking the tires on various options (MWC, ACC) before going to the B1G and seeing how an offer from them would measure up.
bearsandgiants
More leverage here. I would rather keep the west coast pod of 8 together, as part of the Big10 as we really need 8 teams to make it make the most sense. But having these talks makes not only the above a little more possible, it's opening the door for at least somewhere to land that isn't disastrous. I don't think, logistically, we can manage just 4 west coast teams for most sports, unless we play they all twice, home and home, every year, so 4 times each. ACC means even FURTHER travel for non-revenue sports. Likely untenable unless they add a few more than the final 4. Overall, I just like this as leverage, but man this would be fun as some of these schools would be great to visit, they are generally a better fit, academically, and the hoops is crazy good.
Deutsch
Survival of the Fittest. Bottom line: we lost. Why? Fan, alumni, and, local press apathy, plus incompetent A.D. (not in tune with SOTF theme of the post). Upon such a medical diagnosis, most would seek therapy/surgery etc. But a university run by the most effete among the self-satisfied elite is still in tsk tsk mode about the error of the money grabbing ways of its 8 former colleagues. Big Q: Will this combined entity (fans, alums, local press, admin & university substitute an "a" for an "o" and wAke up to reality (SOTF) and summon the energy and market intelligence to dirty its hands by an all out entry into the fray which is college sports at this time? Stanford alums are doing so. Their A.D. is likely in exit mode - ours is in AWOL mode - Mr. Low profile, while he sits/reclines on his long term deal…If we are all so smart…(#1 public university and all that…why are we road kill? I am persuaded that the Stanford think tankers are hard at their similar task. To my knowledge, we are not.
Northside91
Deutsch said:

Survival of the Fittest. Bottom line: we lost. Why? Fan, alumni, and, local press apathy, plus incompetent A.D. (not in tune with SOTF theme of the post). Upon such a medical diagnosis, most would seek therapy/surgery etc. But a university run by the most effete among the self-satisfied elite is still in tsk tsk mode about the error of the money grabbing ways of its 8 former colleagues. Big Q: Will this combined entity (fans, alums, local press, admin & university substitute an "a" for an "o" and wAke up to reality (SOTF) and summon the energy and market intelligence to dirty its hands by an all out entry into the fray which is college sports at this time? Stanford alums are doing so. Their A.D. is likely in exit mode - ours is in AWOL mode - Mr. Low profile, while he sits/reclines on his long term deal…If we are all so smart…(#1 public university and all that…why are we road kill? I am persuaded that the Stanford think tankers are hard at their similar task. To my knowledge, we are not.

Not sure why the participants here are transfixed with the garnish and the tablecloth and have no interest in the main course. All the factors that you identified are contributing, but the direct cause of the problem is the decades-long ambivalence (at best) or antagonism (at worst) of the non-athletic administration and faculty. You can address all those other issues (theoretically) and still accomplish nothing without their buy-in....Just an aside on Knowlton. He's nothing more than a water boy with zero decision making authority. He's here for EFT every two weeks and a little bump on his pension. Nothing more. It's pointless even mentioning his name anymore.
Anarchistbear
The other members would reject this in about 5 minutes. The PAC 4 are four woeful football franchises: low revenue; low attendance; low ratings, average to poor football performers, and a logistical nightmare.

Do we really believe these would add marginal revenue to the rest of the ACC in excess of the increased members dividing the pie. I would like to be in the room and see Clemson and FSU- both of who are clamoring for greater shares- react to this idea.
Bear_Territory
Join the ACC and do this all over again when FSU and Clemson leave for the SEC/B1G.
calbear93
Bear_Territory said:

Join the ACC and do this all over again when FSU and Clemson leave for the SEC/B1G.
They would never take all of the west coast teams.

Big 1G and Pac have history. No reason for ACC to take all of the leftovers that no one else wants on the opposite side of the country. Especially with programs who struggle (maybe not Stanford) in basketball.

If anything, they may add Stanford, and we may get an invite only as an afterthought and consideration for the rivalry. No reason whatsoever to add WSU and OSU.
nikeykid
juarezbear
nikeykid said:

Would be an amazing FY to the B1G if Cal, Furd, and ND joined the ACC.
sycasey
nikeykid said:

Cal and Stanford in the "Atlantic" Coast Conference. What a world that would be.
Michiganmoon
juarezbear said:

nikeykid said:

Would be an amazing FY to the B1G if Cal, Furd, and ND joined the ACC.

I think if the BigTen wanted Cal and Stanford they would have already offered and I think they'd accept quickly if offered.

I wonder if the ACC is trying to be proactive with FSU and Clemson threatening to leave.

A 4 team pod out west could work in the ACC.
NWBear90
sycasey said:

nikeykid said:

Cal and Stanford in the "Atlantic" Coast Conference. What a world that would be.
Hey there's precedent here! https://americaeast.com/standings.aspx?path=fhockey
BearHunter
Bear_Territory said:

BearHunter
Bearly Clad
This guys been right about a lot of expansion news so far so maybe this is a real possibility. At this point Idk anything for sure anymore
Anarchistbear
Bearly Clad said:

This guys been right about a lot of expansion news so far so maybe this is a real possibility. At this point Idk anything for sure anymore

But the other possibility is that these two are on the move?
golden sloth
Anarchistbear said:

Bearly Clad said:

And Oregon State and Washinton State getting left behind again. I feel very bad for them (if it happens).
Cal88
The ACC is by far the only option remaining for us and Furd. It would actually be an upgrade over the P12 in hoops and soccer for one.
SoFlaBear
Cal88 said:

The ACC is by far the only option remaining for us and Furd. It would actually be an upgrade over the P12 in hoops and soccer for one.

We might also consider upgrading our program.
YuSeeBerkeley
If Stanford and Cal get the ACC invite, with their inclusion, doesn't the ACC's academic profile surpass the B1G? Stanford, Cal, Duke, Virginia, and UNC vs. Northwestern, UCLA, Michigan, and USC.
calumnus
golden sloth said:

Anarchistbear said:

Bearly Clad said:

And Oregon State and Washinton State getting left behind again. I feel very bad for them (if it happens).

The will inherit the Pacific conference and can start inviting MWC teams to join them.
GoCal80
Am I missing something or doesn't the vast distance separating Cal and Stanford from the current ACC schools make this notion ludicrous?
ferCALgm2
GoCal80 said:

Am I missing something or doesn't the vast distance separating Cal and Stanford from the current ACC schools make this notion ludicrous?

It's either that or possible extinction, which would be more ludicrous.
Cal Football. It just means more.
sycasey
GoCal80 said:

No more ludicrous than two schools in Los Angeles joining the Big Ten.
calumnus
sycasey said:

GoCal80 said:

And if the agreement is the non-revenue sports can join the Big West, even less ludicrous.

Football would involve 4 road trips to the East Cosst each year. The smart move for everyone would be to play any Stanford or Cal game on the East Coast late on Saturday early in the season, both for logistical reasons and for West Coast television.

Basketball in the ACC is a logistical problem but a huge opportunity. Great basketball league. Maybe we go to a Friday night, Saturday night schedule? Maybe we compete in the Big West (great shot at the auto bid) with a lot of OOC games against our new ACC rivals?
BearSD
calumnus said:

sycasey said:

GoCal80 said:

And if the agreement is the non-revenue sports can join the Big West, even less ludicrous.

Football would involve 4 road trips to the East Cosst each year. The smart move for everyone would be to play any Stanford or Cal game on the East Coast late on Saturday early in the season, both for logistical reasons and for West Coast television.

Basketball in the ACC is a logistical problem but a huge opportunity. Great basketball league. Maybe we go to a Friday night, Saturday night schedule? Maybe we compete in the Big West (great shot at the auto bid) with a lot of OOC games against our new ACC rivals?
It's very possible that any ACC offer would be for football-only, maybe for a $20 million/year lifeline, and that it would require Cal and Stanford to join the Big West or another western conference for all other sports.

There are a lot of moving parts. The administration better be working on creating multiple options.
mcdbear
If I am not one of the athletes having to travel or the school having to pay for the travel I like the ideal. It is kind of like a kid with a new toy getting to play UNC and Duke in hoops and some great football teams to play. I can see teams moving conferences regularly going up and down. Kind of like a second transfer portal for whole teams or worse yet conferences booting teams like Vandy or Rutgers.
Bearly Clad
YuSeeBerkeley said:

If Stanford and Cal get the ACC invite, with their inclusion, doesn't the ACC's academic profile surpass the B1G? Stanford, Cal, Duke, Virginia, and UNC vs. Northwestern, UCLA, Michigan, and USC.
Yes but I'd put Washington in there over Southern Cal
juarezbear
Bearly Clad said:

YuSeeBerkeley said:

Yes but I'd put Washington in there over Southern Cal

Nope… SC>UW… if Cal and Furd join the ACC, they'd have the top 2 Private D1 schools and 3 of the top 4 or 5 public Unis.
GoCal80
I don't think people are thinking through what this travel means. Lots of disruption is happening and it is likely to get much worse as climate change makes the weather more chaotic.

From today's accuweather site:

" More than 1,500 flights within, into or out of the United States were canceled on Monday, and more than 7,400 arriving and departing flights in the U.S. were delayed as severe weather erupted across the East on Monday"
Cal88
GoCal80 said:

I don't think people are thinking through what this travel means. Lots of disruption is happening and it is likely to get much worse as climate change makes the weather more chaotic.

From today's accuweather site:

" More than 1,500 flights within, into or out of the United States were canceled on Monday, and more than 7,400 arriving and departing flights in the U.S. were delayed as severe weather erupted across the East on Monday"

There has not been an increase in air travel disruption due to changes in climate. The increase in cancelations is due to tighter/more aggressive airline scheduling policies as well as a shortage of pilots.

One thing that's kind of related though is that the southern Atlantic coast is particularly prone to hurricane activity, and of course hurricane season (Aug. through Oct.) is football season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.