Atlantic Coast Conference ready to merge with The Pac4

59,174 Views | 473 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Klindergoff
nikeykid
How long do you want to ignore this user?

where there is smoke, we better hope there is fire.
BearSD
The ACC presidents will hold an official vote only if the answer is yes. If there are four or more no votes, they'll just announce that they are not going to expand at this time, though the identity of the no votes will be leaked. If there are at least 12 yes votes,the official word will be that it was unanimous.
LOUMFSG2
Regarding the latest news about a meeting tomorrow by the ACC to potentially vote on expansion, is this football-only, or will they be voting to potentially add Cal/Stanfurd to the ACC for all sports?
calumnus
LOUMFSG2 said:

Regarding the latest news about a meeting tomorrow by the ACC to potentially vote on expansion, is this football-only, or will they be voting to potentially add Cal/Stanfurd to the ACC for all sports?

Really good question. I don't see how anything other than football works, as much as I'd like to play basketball in the ACC. Maybe move to a Friday night Saturday night schedule for basketball? Maybe set up an East Coast location at a campus near a major airport as our remote campus? Instead I'd think we join another conference (WCC or Big West) for the other sports and just have a lot of ACC games
Cal Junkie
BearSD said:

The ACC presidents will hold an official vote only if the answer is yes. If there are four or more no votes, they'll just announce that they are not going to expand at this time, though the identity of the no votes will be leaked. If there are at least 12 yes votes,the official word will be that it was unanimous.

From the Clemson boards: https://www.tigernet.com/clemson-forum/thread/i-caught-an-interview-with-the-cal-athletic-director-on-a-2266710?start=30
Bobodeluxe
Cal Junkie said:

BearSD said:

From the Clemson boards: https://www.tigernet.com/clemson-forum/thread/i-caught-an-interview-with-the-cal-athletic-director-on-a-2266710?start=30
Many posters here would fit right in. Do it.
Golden One
Cal Junkie said:

Can't be legitimate, because Knowlton doesn't do interviews.
BearSD
Golden One said:

Cal Junkie said:

It's phony, as discussed on this board a week ago.

Maybe the trolls are running out of new fiction, and have to reuse old fiction?
sycasey
Golden One said:

Cal Junkie said:

There's also no way people on the Clemson boards would have discovered this before people here. Not real.
Big Dog
Golden One said:

Cal Junkie said:

Let me fix this for you: Can't be legitimate, because Knowlton doesn't do anything.
Golden One
Big Dog said:

Let me fix this for you: Can't be legitimate, because Knowlton doesn't do anything.
Very true!
Cal Junkie
BearSD said:

Golden One said:

Cal Junkie said:

It's phony, as discussed on this board a week ago.

Maybe the trolls are running out of new fiction, and have to reuse old fiction?
Sorry, looks like I got hornswoggled. My bad I would not intentionally post a bogus link.
nikeykid
hoop97
Keep in mind that anyone equating NIL $$ to other funds forgets the NIL is basically 2x in funds raised since NIL is not tax deductible.

calumnus
Positive outlook on it getting done:

https://www.si.com/college/stanford/football/stanford-and-cal-have-momentum-in-their-favor-to-join-the-acc?fbclid=IwAR2dohhzZwKeoEJzvBUYtvxEe49jV2JFQjoLbkxwuU-sCnVaFmU-82EX20M
sycasey
calumnus said:

https://www.si.com/college/stanford/football/stanford-and-cal-have-momentum-in-their-favor-to-join-the-acc?fbclid=IwAR2dohhzZwKeoEJzvBUYtvxEe49jV2JFQjoLbkxwuU-sCnVaFmU-82EX20M

Yes, though this appears to be a Stanford blog so of course they are positive on it.
calumnus
hoop97 said:

Keep in mind that anyone equating NIL $$ to other funds forgets the NIL is basically 2x in funds raised since NIL is not tax deductible.

But 100% of NIL donations go to the players whereas donations to the AD are repeatedly squandered on admin salaries, search firms, law firms, settling law suits, investigations of their own behavior, paying off coaches that shouldn't have been hired or extended in the first place, and now incompetence that has our program on the brink of oblivion. I think Sebasta and Cal Legends is the better investment and will produce the best return, even if not tax deductible.
JimSox
calumnus said:

Yestrday's news. Said something could happen in the next 24 hours. That time has passed. New rumors say more progress. Rumors, rumors, rumors.
Sebastabear
calumnus said:

hoop97 said:

But 100% of NIL donations go to the players whereas donations to the AD are repeatedly squandered on admin salaries, search firms, law firms, settling law suits, investigations of their own behavior, paying off coaches that shouldn't have been hired or extended in the first place, and now incompetence that has our program on the brink of oblivion. I think Sebasta and Cal Legends is the better investment and will produce the best return, even if not tax deductible.
Thank you. I often tell people that while they don't get the tax deduction their donations will be at least 10 times more effective in terms of results on the field. So they can give $10,000 to the University, get a tax deduction for $5,000 and have $1,000 worth of impact or they can give $10,000 to the NIL and have $10,000 worth of impact. Not a tough call. And if anything, I'm probably underselling the differential .

One hundred cents on every dollar we raise goes to the players . If donors gave me 5% of the money Cal wants to spend on the basketball practice facility I can put together a team that can practice on a blacktop, take busses to the games . . . and will go to the Final Four. Guaranteed. And a team like that will unlock enough donations for the University that we can then build the Taj Mahal of practice facilities. Building the facility first is totally putting the cart before the horse.

We have to stop fighting the last war.
BearoutEast67
Cal88 said:

GoCal80 said:

I don't think people are thinking through what this travel means. Lots of disruption is happening and it is likely to get much worse as climate change makes the weather more chaotic.

From today's accuweather site:

" More than 1,500 flights within, into or out of the United States were canceled on Monday, and more than 7,400 arriving and departing flights in the U.S. were delayed as severe weather erupted across the East on Monday"

There has not been an increase in air travel disruption due to changes in climate. The increase in cancelations is due to tighter/more aggressive airline scheduling policies as well as a shortage of pilots.

One thing that's kind of related though is that the southern Atlantic coast is particularly prone to hurricane activity, and of course hurricane season (Aug. through Oct.) is football season.

Uhm, doesn't California have a current Tropical Storm/Hurricane warning? :-)
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
calumnus
BearoutEast67 said:

Cal88 said:

GoCal80 said:

I don't think people are thinking through what this travel means. Lots of disruption is happening and it is likely to get much worse as climate change makes the weather more chaotic.

From today's accuweather site:

" More than 1,500 flights within, into or out of the United States were canceled on Monday, and more than 7,400 arriving and departing flights in the U.S. were delayed as severe weather erupted across the East on Monday"

There has not been an increase in air travel disruption due to changes in climate. The increase in cancelations is due to tighter/more aggressive airline scheduling policies as well as a shortage of pilots.

One thing that's kind of related though is that the southern Atlantic coast is particularly prone to hurricane activity, and of course hurricane season (Aug. through Oct.) is football season.

Uhm, doesn't California have a current Tropical Storm/Hurricane warning? :-)

First in history. However, if global water temperatures keep increasing so tropical storms become a regular occurrence in California, then Florida and the East and Gulf Coast it will be continual. Florida had ocean temps over 100 degrees this year.
sycasey
Latest unsubstantiated Twitter claim!

Again, no clue if this guy knows anything. Others have said talks are ongoing.
JB was a Chieftain
sycasey said:

Handle is inside the Big 12. Not reliable
sycasey
JB was a Chieftain said:

sycasey said:

I'm also quite sure they don't have the votes YET. If they did they would have voted already.
Sebastabear
sycasey said:

JB was a Chieftain said:

sycasey said:

I'm also quite sure they don't have the votes YET. If they did they would have voted already.
Yes. In other hard-hitting news updates, the Sun did not go supernova yesterday burning the Earth to a crisp. Someday that is going to happen. But it didn't happen yesterday.
CALiforniALUM
Is there a circumstance where some teams who are likely in a Power conference currently might like to see the demise of both Stanford and Cal so that their chances of latching on to a sister school of their own might be more likely? If the ACC goes boom not all schools are going to be brought along from the ACC. Less competition means more opportunity. Schools are learning from these early rounds.
berserkeley
CALiforniALUM said:

Is there a circumstance where some teams who are likely in a Power conference currently might like to see the demise of both Stanford and Cal so that their chances of latching on to a sister school of their own might be more likely? If the ACC goes boom not all schools are going to be brought along from the ACC. Less competition means more opportunity. Schools are learning from these early rounds.

If you're asking about B1G and SEC teams, maybe? If you're asking about ACC teams, not a chance. They're the only ones supporting us and the only ones opposing us are the ones that believe they have a B1G/SEC invite in the bag.
sycasey
berserkeley said:

CALiforniALUM said:

If you're asking about B1G and SEC teams, maybe? If you're asking about ACC teams, not a chance. They're the only ones supporting us and the only ones opposing us are the ones that believe they have a B1G/SEC invite in the bag.

And also NC State.
berserkeley
sycasey said:

berserkeley said:

CALiforniALUM said:

And also NC State.

They seem to believe they'll go as a pair with UNC probably becauee the Regents have told UNC that they have to tell the B1G and SEC that they'll go with whichever conference accepts both schools.
Bobodeluxe
berserkeley said:

sycasey said:

berserkeley said:

CALiforniALUM said:

And also NC State.

They seem to believe they'll go as a pair with UNC probably becauee the Regents have told UNC that they have to tell the B1G and SEC that they'll go with whichever conference accepts both schools.
Like ucla and UC Berkeley?
berserkeley
Bobodeluxe said:

berserkeley said:

sycasey said:

berserkeley said:

CALiforniALUM said:

And also NC State.

The UC Regents were never even given a chance to make that demand until after it was too late.

The North Carolina Regents have plenty of notice that the B1G and SEC both want UNC. They also appear a little more sports savvy than our Regents.
calumnus
Bobodeluxe said:

berserkeley said:

sycasey said:

berserkeley said:

CALiforniALUM said:

And also NC State.

That was not our ask. We tried to block UCLA from going instead. It made sense for Kliavkoff but we should not have supported his effort.

Can you imagine if Stanford was going to the B1G to get huge money and prestige and UCLA tried to hold us back from going too?
berserkeley
calumnus said:

Bobodeluxe said:

berserkeley said:

sycasey said:

berserkeley said:

CALiforniALUM said:

And also NC State.

That was not our ask. We tried to block UCLA from going instead. It made sense for Kliavkoff but we should not have supported his effort.

Can you imagine if Stanford was going to the B1G to get huge money and prestige and UCLA tried to hold us back from going too?

By that point, blocking UCLA was not really an option because UCLA would get sued and yet blocking UCLA was the only option.

If the Regents had a heads up, they could have negotiated both Cal and UCLA ny taking from UCLA's full share to pay Cal an even smaller share. We know the B1G wants Cal and we know Fox wants to corner the LA market. They would have made it work.

Though I don't really see why they can't make that deal now.
DoubtfulBear
berserkeley said:

calumnus said:

Bobodeluxe said:

berserkeley said:

sycasey said:

berserkeley said:

CALiforniALUM said:

And also NC State.

By that point, blocking UCLA was not really an option because UCLA would get sued and yet blocking UCLA was the only option.

If the Regents had a heads up, they could have negotiated both Cal and UCLA ny taking from UCLA's full share to pay Cal an even smaller share. We know the B1G wants Cal and we know Fox wants to corner the LA market. They would have made it work.

Though I don't really see why they can't make that deal now.
I highly doubt Michael Drake, with his extensive B1G connections, was completely unaware of the UCLA move. Most likely he supported it secretly and had to run a show trial in December to appease Gavin Newsom and some Board members
Bobodeluxe
Deep State!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.