Atlantic Coast Conference ready to merge with The Pac4

59,328 Views | 473 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Klindergoff
berserkeley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DoubtfulBear said:

berserkeley said:

calumnus said:

Bobodeluxe said:

berserkeley said:

sycasey said:

berserkeley said:

CALiforniALUM said:

Is there a circumstance where some teams who are likely in a Power conference currently might like to see the demise of both Stanford and Cal so that their chances of latching on to a sister school of their own might be more likely? If the ACC goes boom not all schools are going to be brought along from the ACC. Less competition means more opportunity. Schools are learning from these early rounds.

If you're asking about B1G and SEC teams, maybe? If you're asking about ACC teams, not a chance. They're the only ones supporting us and the only ones opposing us are the ones that believe they have a B1G/SEC invite in the bag.

And also NC State.

They seem to believe they'll go as a pair with UNC probably becauee the Regents have told UNC that they have to tell the B1G and SEC that they'll go with whichever conference accepts both schools.
Like ucla and UC Berkeley?

That was not our ask. We tried to block UCLA from going instead. It made sense for Kliavkoff but we should not have supported his effort.

Can you imagine if Stanford was going to the B1G to get huge money and prestige and UCLA tried to hold us back from going too?

By that point, blocking UCLA was not really an option because UCLA would get sued and yet blocking UCLA was the only option.

If the Regents had a heads up, they could have negotiated both Cal and UCLA ny taking from UCLA's full share to pay Cal an even smaller share. We know the B1G wants Cal and we know Fox wants to corner the LA market. They would have made it work.

Though I don't really see why they can't make that deal now.
I highly doubt Michael Drake, with his extensive B1G connections, was completely unaware of the UCLA move. Most likely he supported it secretly and had to run a show trial in December to appease Gavin Newsom and some Board members

If so, that would make him amazingly bad at his job. The Regents are perilously close to having to assume 9 figures worth of Cal athletic debt. And it should have been obvious to anyone (like it was to Newsom and the rest of the sports media world) that without both LA schools, Cal athletics was at risk of extinction. And here we are, teetering on the edge of what was a very predictable outcome.

If he did know, the Regents in North Carolina are light-years ahead of those in California.
Big Dog
berserkeley said:

DoubtfulBear said:

berserkeley said:

calumnus said:

Bobodeluxe said:

berserkeley said:

sycasey said:

berserkeley said:

CALiforniALUM said:

Is there a circumstance where some teams who are likely in a Power conference currently might like to see the demise of both Stanford and Cal so that their chances of latching on to a sister school of their own might be more likely? If the ACC goes boom not all schools are going to be brought along from the ACC. Less competition means more opportunity. Schools are learning from these early rounds.

If you're asking about B1G and SEC teams, maybe? If you're asking about ACC teams, not a chance. They're the only ones supporting us and the only ones opposing us are the ones that believe they have a B1G/SEC invite in the bag.

And also NC State.

They seem to believe they'll go as a pair with UNC probably becauee the Regents have told UNC that they have to tell the B1G and SEC that they'll go with whichever conference accepts both schools.
Like ucla and UC Berkeley?

That was not our ask. We tried to block UCLA from going instead. It made sense for Kliavkoff but we should not have supported his effort.

Can you imagine if Stanford was going to the B1G to get huge money and prestige and UCLA tried to hold us back from going too?

By that point, blocking UCLA was not really an option because UCLA would get sued and yet blocking UCLA was the only option.

If the Regents had a heads up, they could have negotiated both Cal and UCLA ny taking from UCLA's full share to pay Cal an even smaller share. We know the B1G wants Cal and we know Fox wants to corner the LA market. They would have made it work.

Though I don't really see why they can't make that deal now.
I highly doubt Michael Drake, with his extensive B1G connections, was completely unaware of the UCLA move. Most likely he supported it secretly and had to run a show trial in December to appease Gavin Newsom and some Board members

If so, that would make him amazingly bad at his job. The Regents are perilously close to having to assume 9 figures worth of Cal athletic debt. And it should have been obvious to anyone (like it was to Newsom and the rest of the sports media world) that without both LA schools, Cal athletics was at risk of extinction. And here we are, teetering on the edge of what was a very predictable outcome.

If he did know, the Regents in North Carolina are light-years ahead of those in California.

I'd hazard a guess that most folks on the west coast would find the NC Trustees contemptible for their politics. But one thing they do agree with us is in support for college sports, unlike the UC Regents who could care less. (Up until they just realized that they are on the hook for hundreds of millions in Cal debt.)
sycasey
More from the peanut gallery!

(Jim Williams seems especially divorced from reality, given what we've recently heard here. Something to keep in mind.)
ncbears
sycasey said:

Latest unsubstantiated Twitter claim!

Again, no clue if this guy knows anything. Others have said talks are ongoing.
This CW Lambert guy has a hard on for Cal. He is supposed to be writing about Big12 - but he seems obsessed about Cal. He must tweet an anti-Cal message once a day. He also is a big defender for WVU with his own version of "data" and what should be emphasized.
Sebastabear
ncbears said:

sycasey said:

This CW Lambert guy has a hard on for Cal. He is supposed to be writing about Big12 - but he seems obsessed about Cal. He must tweet an anti-Cal message once a day. He also is a big defender for WVU with his own version of "data" and what should be emphasized.
I'm going to enjoy bathing in his tears of sorrow in a few days. Should be enough to fill a mid sized swimming pool.
sycasey
ncbears said:

sycasey said:

Seems like he's already trying to walk back his claim a bit, sensing that ACC expansion is imminent and explaining why his rationale was actually right.

Sebastabear
sycasey said:

ncbears said:

sycasey said:

Seems like he's already trying to walk back his claim a bit, sensing that ACC expansion is imminent and explaining why his rationale was actually right.

Translation: i'm not wrong. Others are wrong for not living in my personal reality distortion field with me.
Big Dog
and if perchance we do receive an invite this week, he'll take credit for keeping the pressure up.
sycasey
Sebastabear said:

sycasey said:

ncbears said:

sycasey said:

Translation: i'm not wrong. Others are wrong for not living in my personal reality distortion field with me.

Seems like he's also upset that West Virginia once got rejected by the ACC for travel concerns and now two California schools are about to get offered despite the travel.

Hint: it's because Stanford and Cal are more attractive schools. (And also because the landscape has changed and conferences don't care about geography anymore.)
calumnus
Sebastabear said:

sycasey said:

ncbears said:

sycasey said:

Don't want to feed his animus, but he is wrong again, after Hawaii, Cal is furthest West. Stanford is east of Berkeley.
Strykur
sycasey said:

Sebastabear said:

sycasey said:

ncbears said:

sycasey said:

Seems like he's also upset that West Virginia once got rejected by the ACC for travel concerns and now two California schools are about to get offered despite the travel.

Hint: it's because Stanford and Cal are more attractive schools. (And also because the landscape has changed and conferences don't care about geography anymore.)
A discussion for when this is all over, but West Virginia is perhaps the most interesting profile in realignment, they are out on an island in a conference with no local rivals to speak of (Virginia, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Penn State, etc.).
Bobodeluxe
calumnus said:

Sebastabear said:

sycasey said:

ncbears said:

sycasey said:

Don't want to feed his animus, but he is wrong again, after Hawaii, Cal is furthest West. Stanford is east of Berkeley.
Book learnin' is way overrated in Real (footballin'" America

WAPO:

"West Virginia University, a crucial institution in one of the nation's most impoverished states, is poised to jettison all of its faculty dedicated to teaching Spanish, French, Chinese and other foreign languages. Students interested in learning a new tongue would be pointed to instructional alternatives such as, possibly, an online app.

The state's largest public university also is moving toward elimination of a master's degree program in creative writing and a doctoral program in mathematics, among other proposed cuts, in response to declining enrollment and what university officials call a "structural" budget deficit of $45 million. In all, 32 of the university's 338 majors on its Morgantown campus would be discontinued and 7 percent of its faculty eliminated under a plan made public last week."
oski003
Bobodeluxe said:

calumnus said:

Sebastabear said:

sycasey said:

ncbears said:

sycasey said:

WAPO:

"West Virginia University, a crucial institution in one of the nation's most impoverished states, is poised to jettison all of its faculty dedicated to teaching Spanish, French, Chinese and other foreign languages. Students interested in learning a new tongue would be pointed to instructional alternatives such as, possibly, an online app.

The state's largest public university also is moving toward elimination of a master's degree program in creative writing and a doctoral program in mathematics, among other proposed cuts, in response to declining enrollment and what university officials call a "structural" budget deficit of $45 million. In all, 32 of the university's 338 majors on its Morgantown campus would be discontinued and 7 percent of its faculty eliminated under a plan made public last week."

Waiting for SacTownDog to tell us this is the fault of the UC Regents and essentially UCB because we somehow control the all powerful UC Regents.
ferCALgm2
ncbears said:

sycasey said:

Yea, he's very annoying. Couldn't help myself and started responding to some of his junk.
Cal Football. It just means more.
MTbear22
sycasey said:

Sebastabear said:

sycasey said:

ncbears said:

sycasey said:

This is correct. He's a WVU guy and has been obsessed with WVU getting into the ACC, or otherwise insulting the ACC when they had chances to take WVU and didn't. He loathes the ACC, and yet wants it so badly. A conflicted man.
dimitrig
Bobodeluxe said:

calumnus said:

Sebastabear said:

sycasey said:

ncbears said:

sycasey said:

WAPO:

That's pretty horrible. West Virginia is a poor state but they should be able to come up with money to fund their one university.

Big Dog
dimitrig said:

Bobodeluxe said:

calumnus said:

Sebastabear said:

sycasey said:

ncbears said:

sycasey said:

WAPO:

There's pretty horrible. West Virginia is a poor state but they should be able to come up with money to fund their one university.

really off topic, but WVU is losing population, and its high school grads have peaked awhile ago. At a certain point, you have to right-size your business.
Sebastabear
sycasey said:

Sebastabear said:

sycasey said:

ncbears said:

sycasey said:

And what possibly could have changed in college athletics between 2013 and 2023? Not much right? I mean other than the Big 10 grabbing multiple East Coast schools, the Big 10's billion dollar media deal with Fox, the near death of the Big 12 because of Texas and Oklahoma jumping ship, the actual death of the PAC 12, the advent of NIL, the transfer portal blowing up national recruiting . . .

Yeah, nothing much that would cause a conference to revisit its stance in 2013. Nothing much at all.
Klindergoff
ferCALgm2 said:

ncbears said:

sycasey said:

Yea, he's very annoying. Couldn't help myself and started responding to some of his junk.
In case you haven't seen it yet, this is what is shown on CW Lambert's website:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.