3 (non-football-ish) observations from the Idaho game.

3,894 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by LunchTime
chalcidbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1. In previous years, pregame individual prayers (or reflections, I'm not sure exactly how to refer to them) for Cal players were held in the northern end zone, and for visitors in the southern end zone. Yesterday I realized they had switched - Cal on the southern end zone (just across from the visitor section), and visitors in the northern one (next to where Cal players enter and leave the field). Any idea what led to this change?

2. In line with celebrating 50 years of women in the Cal Band, I noticed one of the refs (a line judge) was a female. Is this the first female ref we've seen at Memorial Stadium?

3. I noticed security was provided by the California Highway patrol (in their Mountie hats). I don't remember that happening before - is it new (or is my memory failing)?
oskidunker
chalcidbear said:

1. In previous years, pregame individual prayers (or reflections, I'm not sure exactly how to refer to them) for Cal players were held in the northern end zone, and for visitors in the southern end zone. Yesterday I realized they had switched - Cal on the southern end zone (just across from the visitor section), and visitors in the northern one (next to where Cal players enter and leave the field). Any idea what led to this change?

2. In line with celebrating 50 years of women in the Cal Band, I noticed one of the refs (a line judge) was a female. Is this the first female ref we've seen at Memorial Stadium?

3. I noticed security was provided by the California Highway patrol (in their Mountie hats). I don't remember that happening before - is it new (or is my memory failing)?
None of us had to go through metal detectors. Different gates. Puzzling.
Go Bears!
75bear
I went through a metal detector
GoCal80
I think everyone had to pass through a new kind of weapons detector that allows you to keep your keys and cell phones in your pocket. I was curious and read online to see what sort of a new security system this was. I found one article about new systems that distinguish weapons from keys using AI and wondered if this is what they are using now as we enter the stadium. You hardly even know that you are going through the detector system.

https://stadiumtechreport.com/feature/safer-faster-new-weapons-detection-technology-is-changing-the-speed-of-stadium-entry/

chalcidbear
GoCal80 said:

I think everyone had to pass through a new kind of weapons detector that allows you to keep your keys and cell phones in your pocket. I was curious and read online to see what sort of a new security system this was. I found one article about new systems that distinguish weapons from keys using AI and wondered if this is what they are using now as we enter the stadium. You hardly even know that you are going through the detector system.

https://stadiumtechreport.com/feature/safer-faster-new-weapons-detection-technology-is-changing-the-speed-of-stadium-entry/

I certainly enjoy the new system.
NorCalFBFan
I'm a little fuzzy before my first cup of coffee, but I think I remember something about CHP handling security for state of California events. As we're a UC, CHP gets easy OT handling security. Of course, many other agencies assist.
oskidunker
chalcidbear said:

GoCal80 said:

I hope they do that at Hass. I wonder why Cal didnt tell us in advance?
Go Bears!
MilleniaBear
Other observations..

Did you see Luckhurst trying to practice before the game and the Rally Com flag guys were in the same space waiting for the rest of the team to charge out of the tunnel? Get out of Luckhurst's way! He needs the practice.

Is there a new anti-cup-lid policy? I got flooded 3 times on the West side of the stadium with drink spills from rows above me. Felt like I was in the flood plain for the mouth of the Amazon. Ugh.

Still hate those random hotdog sales on street corners. Thats just money out of TopDog's pocket.
oskidunker
MilleniaBear said:

Other observations..

Did you see Luckhurst trying to practice before the game and the Rally Com flag guys were in the same space waiting for the rest of the team to charge out of the tunnel? Get out of Luckhurst's way! He needs the practice.

Is there a new anti-cup-lid policy? I got flooded 3 times on the West side of the stadium with drink spills from rows above me. Felt like I was in the flood plain for the mouth of the Amazon. Ugh.

Still hate those random hotdog sales on street corners. Thats just money out of TopDog's pocket.
No straws and no lids. Ridiculous crap.but you can get straws where the sell alcohol.
Go Bears!
Anarchistbear
CHP protecting Wilcox. From whom? We've gone fake SEC.
Cal88
GoCal80 said:

Is that really necessary at Memorial Stadium?
ducky23
oskidunker said:

MilleniaBear said:

Other observations..

No straws and no lids. Ridiculous crap.but you can get straws where the sell alcohol.

Is there really a no straw/lid policy? I assume it's some Berkeley green thing? I'm all for the environment and stuff (and I don't want this to turn political) but at some point you need to weigh the food waste against the cost of a lid and a straw.

I too have noticed a river of coke streaming thru the seats, so that explains it
bearister
CHP are bailing out local police departments that are grossly understaffed.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
ninetyfourbear
chalcidbear said:

GoCal80 said:

I was just at the Chargers Titans game (wearing my KA13 jersey) and they had these or similar detectors. Was super fast and nice.
Cal_79
MilleniaBear said:

Other observations..

Top Dog wouldn't embrace the libertarian aspect of the hot dog vendors?
oskiswifeshusband
Would top dog not make a f.. ton of money if they had a stand inside memorial?
oskidunker
oskiswifeshusband said:

Would top dog not make a f.. ton of money if they had a stand inside memorial?
They tried this several years ago. Only lasted one season, I think, They only took cash . I think they dogs were-about $7.00. They did not have Germans. ( or garlic as they call them now). I think Cal wanted too much of the profit. At one time there were also Hand scooper ice cream Sundaes.
Go Bears!
SoFlaBear
Cal88 said:

GoCal80 said:

Sadly it is necessary at most large public gatherings.
Bobodeluxe
If wokeifornia allowed canceled carry, like in wyoming and florida, there would be little to be concerned about.
SoFlaBear
Bobodeluxe said:

If wokeifornia allowed canceled carry, like in wyoming and florida, there would be little to be concerned about.

Given that I had a loved one in Florida who was legally carrying a concealed weapon and was murdered with a handgun in a robbery, I'd respectfully disagree.
Bobodeluxe
SoFlaBear said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Given that I had a loved one in Florida who was legally carrying a concealed weapon and was murdered with a handgun in a robbery, I'd respectfully disagree.
The more guns, the better. I give them out in lieu of Halloween candy. God's will. Murkuh.
Vandalus
oskidunker said:

MilleniaBear said:

Other observations..

As a parent of a 6 year old, the no lid and straw policy is a f'ing joke. I told the guy who sold it to me "you know what's going to happen, right?" Poor kid, he looked at me with a blank expression that evidenced his young age and lack of consequences to giving an open drink to a kiddo.

About 15 minutes later I got to enjoy the pleasure that comes with getting a momentary sticky ice bath when said drink was spilled onto the bench, resulting in me having to sit with wet shorts for the next hour or so until they dried out. Cal facilities management Great!!
~Spectemur agendo~
SBGold
Vandalus said:

oskidunker said:

MilleniaBear said:

Other observations..

As a parent of a 6 year old, the no lid and straw policy is a f'ing joke. I told the guy who sold it to me "you know what's going to happen, right?" Poor kid, he looked at me with a blank expression that evidenced his young age and lack of consequences to giving an open drink to a kiddo.

About 15 minutes later I got to enjoy the pleasure that comes with getting a momentary sticky ice bath when said drink was spilled onto the bench, resulting in me having to sit with wet shorts for the next hour or so until they dried out. Cal facilities management Great!!
I wouldn't buy a soda for a 6 year old. Water only
Vandalus
SBGold said:

Vandalus said:

oskidunker said:

MilleniaBear said:

Other observations..

She's a water only kid most days. But this was a special occasion. But thanks for the constructive input; whether it was a soda or a water (she prefers a lid and straw - or a sealed water canteen, which they won't let you bring in anyway) the result would have been the same. I parent my way, you parent yours.
~Spectemur agendo~
southseasbear
Vandalus said:

SBGold said:

Vandalus said:

oskidunker said:

MilleniaBear said:

Other observations..

She's a water only kid most days. But this was a special occasion. But thanks for the constructive input; whether it was a soda or a water (she prefers a lid and straw - or a sealed water canteen, which they won't let you bring in anyway) the result would have been the same. I parent my way, you parent yours.
The souvenir 100 year Memorial Stadium cup comes with a lid that has a small (sippy cut like) hole for drinking.
Anarchistbear
SBGold said:

Vandalus said:

oskidunker said:

MilleniaBear said:

Other observations..

Your daughter is telling her therapist this.
Bobodeluxe
On the wyoming ranch, we tell the little urchins to dig for water if they're thirsty. No woke pansy kids allowed!
falseintellect
Bobodeluxe said:

Inane and proven wrong a million times over anyway, but what stadium allows weapons? Even in Florida they ain't that dumb.
StrawberryCanyon
Bobodeluxe said:

I think there's a lot to be worried about when people who don't know the difference between the words "concealed" and "canceled" are able to carry deadly weapons.
SBGold
Anarchistbear said:

SBGold said:

Vandalus said:

oskidunker said:

MilleniaBear said:

Other observations..

Your daughter is telling her therapist this.
The dentist is pleased though
SoFlaBear
Will a metal reusable straw set off the metal detector?
LunchTime
chalcidbear said:

I think I have only ever seen players from the opposing team run down to the north west corner of the field to pray.

I seem to recall CHP and Berkeley and Campus police all working together for events
JSC 76
I've decided that I'm no longer going to post my usual rants about how lame the mic men are; how sad the Cal Band has become; the awful promotions at every time out and/or the horrible canned music. Nothing ever changes; I'm just howling into the wind. I find that I'm focusing so much on "This isn't as fun as it used to be" that I'm wondering why I come any more, and I don't want to go down that path.

I am getting a post-game survey from Cal Athletics, and for the question as to how I enjoy the "entertainment" I do give them a piece of my mind.

It occurs to me that there are 2 things that are better than they were Back In the Day: the Bear Territory chant, and having the team come over to the Band and one player get up on the ladder to the "lead" them in a song. That's cool, and neither of those things existed 20 years ago.

LunchTime
Cal88 said:

GoCal80 said:

TBH, hell yeah. No lines. No disruption in flow. They must not be crazy expensive, because I see them at places like the Monterey Aquarium.

What is the downside? I have to remember to leave my pocket knife in the car?

LunchTime
Vandalus said:

oskidunker said:

MilleniaBear said:

Other observations..

My kid is 4 and he didnt spill his drink.

My 2 year old drank from an open top and didnt spill.

The trick is to anticipate what your children are capable of, what is likely to happen, and then.... prevent it, or let them fail and learn.

Quote:

told the guy who sold it to me "you know what's going to happen, right?"
So you knew, and still ended up in wet shorts?

regardless, none of it is on the facilities management. https://upp.berkeley.edu/news/paving-way-plastic-free-campus

Cal (and Berkeley) are anti-straw. While I dont agree in the city's stance, I am OK with individual institutions choosing not to send a plastic straw to the dump so I can sip it like an infant. Maybe if we somehow got to straws for to-go and restaurants not handing out 2 for every cup of water, it wouldnt be an issue.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.