Chip Kelly bouncing out of Westwood

10,013 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by calumnus
TedfordTheGreat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearSD said:

TedfordTheGreat said:

concernedparent said:

philly1121 said:

concernedparent said:

DoubtfulBear said:

Strykur said:

DoubtfulBear said:

DWM81 said:

What a disaster...
The bigger disaster is going to a conference with a low payout and not being able to get rid of mediocre HC
Look at their schedule this fall, they are going to get wrecked in a bunch of games if they cannot keep the ship sailing through spring ball.
While making $50M a year and having potential to land a flashy HC. This is not a disaster for UCLA, this is the best case scenario for them heading into 2024 and B1G
What flashy HC? It's February. Portal doesn't open up again til what, summer? They seriously could be headed towards worst season in program history territory.

Wasn't the consensus on this board that they were going to crap the bed with Kelly in their first year in the B1G? What's the difference?

Hey if you're Dante Moore - what are you thinking? He's probably saying "that effer!" Lol
I'd rather "crap the bed" going 5-7, fire Chip and then lead the market in replacing him, than hire someone off the scrap heap now, miss out on the first transfer portal cycle/entire HS recruiting cycle, go 2-10 next year, and then either have to buy-out the coach and sell a job that has the stench of turbulence, a bottom feeder roster, and a brutal schedule OR ride it out with that scrap heap coach with a bottom feeder roster and a brutal schedule.
do u hv unlimited funds?

how is avoiding a buyout with a coach you don't really want anyways a bad thing for UCLA?

That's like saying that if Wilcox walks away today that it'd be a bad thing for Cal because it's late in the cycle. If the coach is not a long term solution anyways, then we are just biding our time, which is exactly what we are doing

80 to 90 percent of the head coaches in college football are not "long term solutions".
yea but some of them gives glimmer of hope because they are a year or two in and deserve the chance to prove themselves. Some other ones have had great success in the past (Dan Campbell type) and u are not sure you can do better. In the case of the chipster, he is who he is. He cant recruit and he is a poor manager of an entire program.
BearoutEast67
I wonder if Kelly pulled a Harbaugh due to unannounced improprieties not yet announced. He did seem checked out last season. Either that or like Saban, he didn't like playing the NIL game.
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
MathTeacherMike
Sad truth; No matter who UCLA gets as their coach, he will be better than Wilcox
BearSD
TedfordTheGreat said:

BearSD said:

TedfordTheGreat said:

concernedparent said:

philly1121 said:

concernedparent said:

DoubtfulBear said:

Strykur said:

DoubtfulBear said:

DWM81 said:

What a disaster...
The bigger disaster is going to a conference with a low payout and not being able to get rid of mediocre HC
Look at their schedule this fall, they are going to get wrecked in a bunch of games if they cannot keep the ship sailing through spring ball.
While making $50M a year and having potential to land a flashy HC. This is not a disaster for UCLA, this is the best case scenario for them heading into 2024 and B1G
What flashy HC? It's February. Portal doesn't open up again til what, summer? They seriously could be headed towards worst season in program history territory.

Wasn't the consensus on this board that they were going to crap the bed with Kelly in their first year in the B1G? What's the difference?

Hey if you're Dante Moore - what are you thinking? He's probably saying "that effer!" Lol
I'd rather "crap the bed" going 5-7, fire Chip and then lead the market in replacing him, than hire someone off the scrap heap now, miss out on the first transfer portal cycle/entire HS recruiting cycle, go 2-10 next year, and then either have to buy-out the coach and sell a job that has the stench of turbulence, a bottom feeder roster, and a brutal schedule OR ride it out with that scrap heap coach with a bottom feeder roster and a brutal schedule.
do u hv unlimited funds?

how is avoiding a buyout with a coach you don't really want anyways a bad thing for UCLA?

That's like saying that if Wilcox walks away today that it'd be a bad thing for Cal because it's late in the cycle. If the coach is not a long term solution anyways, then we are just biding our time, which is exactly what we are doing

80 to 90 percent of the head coaches in college football are not "long term solutions".
yea but some of them gives glimmer of hope because they are a year or two in and deserve the chance to prove themselves. Some other ones have had great success in the past (Dan Campbell type) and u are not sure you can do better. In the case of the chipster, he is who he is. He cant recruit and he is a poor manager of an entire program.
Yes, Chip is who he is, and UCLA football is what it is. UCLA doesn't have motivated donors who care about football, and they won't win big in the Big Ten unless they have a head coach who can somehow make the NIL money rain down in Westwood.

The coaches rumored to be on UCLA's list won't do any better than Chip did there. What they really need is someone like Deion or a 50-year-old Pete Carroll with a high profile and an endless amount of car-salesman energy..
StarsDoMatter
MathTeacherMike said:

Sad truth; No matter who UCLA gets as their coach, he will be better than Wilcox

I saw a couple rumors that Wilcox was linked to both the UW and UA jobs.

Any chance UCLA is stupid enough to actually hire Wilcox?
Alkiadt
StarsDoMatter said:

MathTeacherMike said:

I saw a couple rumors that Wilcox was linked to both the UW and UA jobs.

Any chance UCLA is stupid enough to actually hire Wilcox?
No.
And those rumors were proven to be just that. Untrue too.
Bobodeluxe
People here just don't value square jaw.
Basketball Bear
it was just a few months ago that the press here in LA had Chip Kelly being fired. Nothing came of it so he may be just got out in front before it was going to happen. I think there was a lot of behind-the-scenes issues going on with Chip Kelly and UCLA.
72CalBear
fUcla..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
bipolarbear
Bobodeluxe said:

People here just don't value square jaw.
Hmm..I think they do. This is why Sonny Dykes and Gilbertson had to go.
concernedparent
philly1121 said:

concernedparent said:

philly1121 said:

concernedparent said:

DoubtfulBear said:

Strykur said:

DoubtfulBear said:

DWM81 said:

What a disaster...

Chip was 35-34 over 6 years and 26-26 in P12 play in that same period . That is mid at best. Despite your run-on sentence, I don't see what the difference is between a new coach and Chip in the immediate aftermath of all this. ESPN is reporting that UCLA is going to name a coach in the next 4 days so maybe they already had someone in mind.

Its going to be a tough slog for UCLA no matter what. With Chip, they rank 80th in the portal. 30 spots ehind us. So they weren't doing well with Chip anyway. Teams still have the spring window in April so whoever they pick will have to recruit/sell solid from there.

Not my fault that dependent clauses are above your reading level. Barely over .500 is better than the possibility of bottoming out with a last minute coach. The point is to fire Chip and be the one that moves the coaching carousel.
philly1121
Regardless of my reading comprehension or your poor grammar - your post is shyte.
calumnus
TedfordTheGreat said:

concernedparent said:

philly1121 said:

concernedparent said:

DoubtfulBear said:

Strykur said:

DoubtfulBear said:

DWM81 said:

What a disaster...

do u hv unlimited funds?

Exactly
HearstMining
Gobears49 said:

HearstMining said:

If I were Wilcox, I'd encourage my OC to put in a phone call to Justyn Martyn. If he initially committed to Cal, he must have some affinity for the place. Maybe there's a reason he's buried in the UCLA depth chart, but I think it's worth checking.
Martyn is the longest thrower for UCLA but he must not have as much accuracy as their other QB's. When I hear their list of QB's, three or four of them, Martyn's name is never listed.
I don't disagree. Not sure what's up with Martyn's situation, but you'll recall that Steve Bartkowski dramatically improved his accuracy his senior year, so it can be done. I'm not saying offer Martyn a scholarship and NIL $ sight unseen, but that he's worth investigating regarding his current situation and interest. Heck, if Cal is recruiting a PWO from Florida who missed most of his senior year and, looking at his stats, averaged less than 200yds/game passing, making a few phone calls to/about Martyn doesn't seem like a stretch.
GivemTheAxe
Amen to that. The PAC12 could have survived the loss of USC. But the loss of UCLA doomed the PAC-12 IMO.
GivemTheAxe
Basketball Bear said:

it was just a few months ago that the press here in LA had Chip Kelly being fired. Nothing came of it so he may be just got out in front before it was going to happen. I think there was a lot of behind-the-scenes issues going on with Chip Kelly and UCLA

A few months ago was just after Cal defeated UCLA in the last game of the season

There was a lot of buzz on BI that Chip was gone
calumnus
GivemTheAxe said:

Basketball Bear said:

it was just a few months ago that the press here in LA had Chip Kelly being fired. Nothing came of it so he may be just got out in front before it was going to happen. I think there was a lot of behind-the-scenes issues going on with Chip Kelly and UCLA

A few months ago was just after Cal defeated UCLA in the last game of the season

It is really a blessing when a coach that is underperforming and you want to fire quits for a lesser job and pays you a $million.

Firing Dykes for looking at other jobs was stupid.

Extending Wilcox for looking at other jobs was idiotic.
HearstMining
calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Basketball Bear said:

It is really a blessing when a coach that is underperforming and you want to fire quits for a lesser job and pays you a $million.

I disagree that firing Dykes was stupid. What was stupid was waiting as long as they did to fire him. Cal should have fired him immediately after the final game of the 2016 season.
Eastern Oregon Bear
HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Basketball Bear said:

I disagree that firing Dykes was stupid. What was stupid was waiting as long as they did to fire him. Cal should have fired him immediately after the final game of the 2016 season.
I thought Dykes didn't start serial job interviewing until after the 2016 season. You can't fire him until he commits the offense. If he did it before the 2016 season, why not can him before the season?
HearstMining
Not exactly serial interviewing, but still . . .
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/12/01/ap-source-missouri-interviews-cal-coach-sonny-dykes/76636054/
1CalFan
I thought that when Sandy hired Dykes was there were some "promises" that the football program would receive a certain level of administrative / AD support. Did Dykes start interviewing after it became apparent to him that Williams was not supportive of those promises? Same as today, is Knowlton meeting the promises that he stated he would when he extended Wilcox? Wilcox doesn't interview because his current contract is to beneficial to him.
Basketball Bear
1CalFan said:

I thought that when Sandy hired Dykes was there were some "promises" that the football program would receive a certain level of administrative / AD support. Did Dykes start interviewing after it became apparent to him that Williams was not supportive of those promises? Same as today, is Knowlton meeting the promises that he stated he would when he extended Wilcox? Wilcox doesn't interview because his current contract is to beneficial to him.

I'd be interested in hearing what those promises were.
calumnus
1CalFan said:

Wilcox reportedly interviewed with Oregon twice, and his "name was mentioned" in the Washington, Wisconsin and Arizona searches (more than Dykes' name came up).

Dykes leaving and paying US would have been much better than our paying him $milions to buy out his contract and then hiring Wilcox because Williams had no better ideas. At least wait until the end of the 2017 season when the buyout is lower and you can do a proper search.

Wilcox leaving and paying US would have been much better than Knowlton extending him 6 years for interviewing. At least wait until the end of the 2022 season to see if an extension is warranted.
Bobodeluxe
Williams was a disaster. Led the search team, and found himself.
BearoutEast67
calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Basketball Bear said:

Some guys just keep loving Dykes even though the attraction is not mutual.
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
HearstMining
Bobodeluxe said:

Also known as "Pulling a Cheney"!
calumnus
BearoutEast67 said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Basketball Bear said:

Some guys just keep loving Dykes even though the attraction is not mutual.

You do not have to like Sonny Dykes or Chip Kelly to understand that UCLA being paid by Chip Kelly to leave is better than us paying Sonny Dykes to leave and ending up with the same result: having to hire a coach late in the cycle who is a stretch and probably not ready to lead a program.
calumnus
Bobodeluxe said:

Fortunately Williams was only AD for two years. He made two bad hires. One was fired after two years, one was extended for 11.
MrGPAC
Can we please stop pretending the situations with Wilcox interviewing at Oregon were *anything* like Dykes interviewing elsewhere?

Dykes made it clear he wanted OUT of Cal. There were a lot of reasons for that. Many of them good reasons. He made it clear he was only here until he got an offer elsewhere.

Wilcox interviewed at his Alma Mater, was allegedly offered the job, and came back to Cal and said you know what, I'd rather stay here, but we have to make some changes if we want to be successful.

Yes, it would have been better had Dykes been hired away instead of us feeling the need to fire him for financial reasons. Similarly it would have been better if we hadn't extended Wilcox...at least without re-considering his buyout. That doesn't mean the situations are at all similar.

And yes, financially, UCLA who just got a HUGE payout for stabbing their Cal in the back to go join the B1G lucked out yet again saving some money by having someone hire their coach away instead of firing him. Some schools seem to get all the luck...
southseasbear
MrGPAC said:

Can we please stop pretending the situations with Wilcox interviewing at Oregon were *anything* like Dykes interviewing elsewhere?

Dykes made it clear he wanted OUT of Cal. There were a lot of reasons for that. Many of them good reasons. He made it clear he was only here until he got an offer elsewhere.

Wilcox interviewed at his Alma Mater, was allegedly offered the job, and came back to Cal and said you know what, I'd rather stay here, but we have to make some changes if we want to be successful.

Yes, it would have been better had Dykes been hired away instead of us feeling the need to fire him for financial reasons. Similarly it would have been better if we hadn't extended Wilcox...at least without re-considering his buyout. That doesn't mean the situations are at all similar.

And yes, financially, UCLA who just got a HUGE payout for stabbing their Cal in the back to go join the B1G lucked out yet again saving some money by having someone hire their coach away instead of firing him. Some schools seem to get all the luck...
An old saying attributed to a Roman philosopher: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity."
calumnus
southseasbear said:

MrGPAC said:

An old saying attributed to a Roman philosopher: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity."

Leadership. Getting Chip Kelly for about what we pay Wilcox was a smart move at the time. Preparing to move on from him when he was not much more successful than Wilcox was a smart move as it induced him to look for another job before he could get fired. Now instead of paying Chip $8 million,Chip pays them $1.5 million.
BearSD
MrGPAC said:

You're right. The correct comparison is between Dykes and Chip Kelly. Both wanted out but were not offered head coaching jobs elsewhere. The difference is that Chip chose to take a coordinator position elsewhere instead of squeezing UCLA for every penny remaining on his contract, while Dykes chose to squeeze every penny he could out of Cal.
Big C

Exactly how UCLA and Kelly finally parted ways might be more nuanced than it seems at first glance. It's quite possible that they negotiated something, dollar-wise, in between "he got fired" and "he quit". And part of the negotiation was how they would announce it to the public.
calumnus
BearSD said:

MrGPAC said:

You're right. The correct comparison is between Dykes and Chip Kelly. Both wanted out but were not offered head coaching jobs elsewhere. The difference is that Chip chose to take a coordinator position elsewhere instead of squeezing UCLA for every penny remaining on his contract, while Dykes chose to squeeze every penny he could out of Cal.

Dykes knew he was not liked by the fans at Cal and, like Kelly, was looking for other jobs whitch would have meant him paying us, but instead we fired him first which requires us to pay him off. Don't blame Dykes for that, that was our choice (stupid IMO).
calumnus
Big C said:

Exactly how UCLA and Kelly finally parted ways might be more nuanced than it seems at first glance. It's quite possible that they negotiated something, dollar-wise, in between "he got fired" and "he quit". And part of the negotiation was how they would announce it to the public.

It is the smart, professional, thing to do if it is by mutual agreement, whether it is college coaching or an executive position. Instead of firing Dykes "because he was looking" we could have encouraged him to find another position.

The funny thing about Cal fans, they hated Dykes so much they wanted him gone, but were mad he was looking to leave. Crazy.

UCLA fans are only mad about Kelly's timing, forcing them to do a late search. Cal fans still defend the timing of Dykes' firing even though it imposed a late search on ourselves, but with a lot less money to spend.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.