Deshaun Foster UCLA

4,721 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by HongKong_Bear
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ducky23
Yikes.

golden sloth
Eh, doesnt impact Cal.
ncbears
A position coach for 7 years - never a coordinator. I'm not sure any P4/5 team has promoted a position coach to head coach. (It may have happened). My UCLA b-i-l says that he hasn't even heard of Foster being involved in recruiting. And Foster certainly would not have learned anything from Kelly about recruiting and NIL. He is not happy.
bencgilmore
golden sloth said:

Eh, doesnt impact Cal.
ucla being a dumpster fire definitely does portend benefits for cal. we'll see i suppose
wc22
ncbears said:

A position coach for 7 years - never a coordinator. I'm not sure any P4/5 team has promoted a position coach to head coach. (It may have happened). My UCLA b-i-l says that he hasn't even heard of Foster being involved in recruiting. And Foster certainly would not have learned anything from Kelly about recruiting and NIL. He is not happy.
Dabo Sweeney is probably the best example. Ed Orgeron is another, but he crashed a burned when he lost coordinators. It really is about getting the right coordinators. A lot of Head Coaches who were coordinators still let their assistant coaches do most of the game planning and play calling (Wilcox is not one).
ncbears
wc22 said:

ncbears said:

Dabo Sweeney is probably the best example. Ed Orgeron is another, but he crashed a burned when he lost coordinators. It really is about getting the right coordinators. A lot of Head Coaches who were coordinators still let their assistant coaches do most of the game planning and play calling (Wilcox is not one).
Except Sweeney's first time as head coach was on an interim, mid season, basis. He'd also been named by Rivals as a top recruiter (per Wikipedia) before that promotion. Still, he was chosen for the interim instead of a coordinator.
Orgeron had been "assistant head coach" before his first time as head coach and named 'recruiter of the year according to Wikipedia.
PtownBear1
This actually makes a lot of sense IMO. This year is going to be a throw-away year for UCLA no matter what. By going with a low cost, internal hire that doesn't require a big dead money contract, they can get their ducks in a row to hire a big name coach towards the end of the year. And on the off chance that Foster actually pans out, then they'll be fine either way.

The alternative of giving a big guaranteed contract to one of the second-rate coaches that are available at this point would set the program back many years.
BearSD
ncbears said:

wc22 said:

ncbears said:

Except Sweeney's first time as head coach was on an interim, mid season, basis. He'd also been named by Rivals as a top recruiter (per Wikipedia) before that promotion. Still, he was chosen for the interim instead of a coordinator.
Orgeron had been "assistant head coach" before his first time as head coach and named 'recruiter of the year according to Wikipedia.
Correct. Swinney and Orgeron got their HC jobs because they were A-plus recruiters.
wc22
ncbears said:

Foster was AHC this past year.
Bearly Clad
This screams cost-saving move to me. They went with a position coach who had never been a coordinator before and is a UC Los Angeles alumnus because he doesn't come with a big price tag and they won't have to worry about being left in the lurch with him jumping ship for another job.

I haven't heard about him being a top recruiter and their RB room wouldn't seem to point to that either. His players seemed to like him and his position performed pretty well so there's that I guess. The big question is Xs & Os. He could be a savant but I just haven't heard anything like that and there was no hype around him for coordinator positions either.

I'd assume it'll come down to his coordinator hire. He's never been a leader but I'm pretty sure he'll be fine at that. They hired a high-character guy who loves the school but has no experience. I'd call it a solidly mediocre hire overall based on everything we know right now, hopefully it's even worse than that
6956bear
Bearly Clad said:

This screams cost-saving move to me. They went with a position coach who had never been a coordinator before and is a UC Los Angeles alumnus because he doesn't come with a big price tag and they won't have to worry about being left in the lurch with him jumping ship for another job.

I haven't heard about him being a top recruiter and their RB room wouldn't seem to point to that either. His players seemed to like him and his position performed pretty well so there's that I guess. The big question is Xs & Os. He could be a savant but I just haven't heard anything like that and there was no hype around him for coordinator positions either.

I'd assume it'll come down to his coordinator hire. He's never been a leader but I'm pretty sure he'll be fine at that. They hired a high-character guy who loves the school but has no experience. I'd call it a solidly mediocre hire overall based on everything we know right now, hopefully it's even worse than that
This hire looks bad to me. He has no coordinator experience. He will need to hire for that. Kelly was an elite OC and that will be hard to overcome joining a new league that features much stronger play along the LOS than the P12 did.

He apparently has to keep most of the current assistants. Which could help with roster retention but is not likely to result in better on field results.

Without a robust collective it will be a tough grind to add good transfers to the program. They did well before NIL became the prevailing tool for portal recruiting. HS recruiting in SoCal is dominated by USC so not sure how they grow the program to where they want it.

The current roster is in the lower half of the B1G and perhaps in the bottom quadrant. And with a poor year coming in 2024 which of UCLA's strong remaining players decide to just stay and trust Foster to get it right.

Toia, Sturdivant and DiGiorgio all could secure good NIL money if they go in the portal. I expect all 3 to at a minimum declare if for no other reason than to find their value. Each has one year left to play. I expect they will play elsewhere next year.

I think Foster seems to be a good guy, but I am hoping his hire is an all time disaster for UCLA football.
wc22
https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

They were 24th in team talent this last season, that is with that particular metric not properly taking into account transfers, which UCLA focused on.

UCLA has talent and will always have talent because it is so easy to recruit to. Kelly was a horrible recruiter and he still had a top 25 team in HS talent ratings, better if you consider the portal.
bearsandgiants
Freein' up cash to make good on those Calimony payments coming due.
concernedparent
Oof... Well, anyways.
Cal88
Maybe we should schedule them next year after all...
bipolarbear
bearsandgiants said:

Freein' up cash to make good on those Calimony payments coming due.
Exactly when are they coming due?
juarezbear
Bearly Clad said:

I don't think it's a cost-saving measure. It's finding a warm body who can step in last minute and a bonus that he's a Bruin and familiar with the landscape there. I wouldn't start with the schadenfrued just yet....I don't want them to succeed. I'm curious to see what he's able to assemble.
89Bear
PtownBear1 said:

This actually makes a lot of sense IMO. This year is going to be a throw-away year for UCLA no matter what. By going with a low cost, internal hire that doesn't require a big dead money contract, they can get their ducks in a row to hire a big name coach towards the end of the year. And on the off chance that Foster actually pans out, then they'll be fine either way.

The alternative of giving a big guaranteed contract to one of the second-rate coaches that are available at this point would set the program back many years.
You think they will hire a respected former player and then fire him after 1 year?
I guess that's possible.
I think it's terrible hire and I'm glad.
DoubtfulBear
89Bear said:

PtownBear1 said:

You think they will hire a respected former player and then fire him after 1 year?
I guess that's possible.
I think it's terrible hire and I'm glad.
Demoting him to a coordinator role if he can't perform at the expected level is better than giving him the keys to the program for 11 years
philly1121
PtownBear1 said:

Agree. From what I've read in the LA Times and on other sports websites, they either went after a coordinator from a top school or they "rented" a coach for a season who would be a placeholder until they went after a big name. Low cost, low downside. UCLA did not do well in the portal. I think they ranked 80th or something. Probably one of the main reasons Kelly left and why UCLA is going after his $1.5 million buyout. Plus they're $40 million in debt anyway.

If they go 6-6 this coming season, they should count their blessings, tell Deshaun thank you, and go after a guy like Brian Hartline.
wifeisafurd
absent UCLA buying a non-conference team out, first opening is 2028. An annual in-state rivalry game makes sense, particularly with Drake tipping his hand about UCOP support for sports.
BearSD
wifeisafurd said:

absent UCLA buying a non-conference team out, first opening is 2028. An annual in-state rivalry game makes sense, particularly with Drake tipping his hand about UCOP support for sports.
If I was UCLA's new head coach, I would try to get out of their 2025/2026 series with Georgia, or postpone it for several years, and play Cal in 2025/2026.
Big C

Do we know if Foster is being hired as their new, real "Head Coach", in other words being given a 4-5 year contract with conference-commensurate pay?

Or is he more of an interim (even if they're not using that word), being given a shorter contract at a smaller salary?
WalterSobchak
Fucla
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
calumnus
Big C said:

Do we know if Foster is being hired as their new, real "Head Coach", in other words being given a 4-5 year contract with conference-commensurate pay?

Or is he more of an interim (even if they're not using that word), being given a shorter contract at a smaller salary?

Kind of the anti-Chip.

Players seem happy. Recruiting and encouraging NIL donations from alums seems to be a natural fit. We will see who the coordinators will be and what happens when the portal opens again. How well he manages an organization is the big question.

The key will be the buyout provision. Will it be less than the $30 million buyout Knowlton gave to Wilcox immediately after 2 losing seasons and a losing record overall?

Big C
calumnus said:

Big C said:

The key will be the buyout provision. Will it be less than the $30 million buyout Knowlton gave to Wilcox after 4 losing seasons out of 5 (now down to $20 million)?

Eh? I'm a Cal guy and I know nothing about this "buyout provision" of which you speak. Pretty sure that's impossible.
Oski87
calumnus said:

Big C said:

Kind of the anti-Chip.

Players seem happy. Recruiting and encouraging NIL donations from alums seems to be a natural fit. We will see who the coordinators will be and what happens when the portal opens again. How well he manages an organization is the big question.

The key will be the buyout provision. Will it be less than the $30 million buyout Knowlton gave to Wilcox immediately after 2 losing seasons and a losing record overall?

My WAG is a 3 million per year contract for 4 years with an extra year if they get to 8 wins, and a 2 million per year buyout. So fire him after next year you get the same 6 million buyout that Chip had, but the assistant coaches are finished with their deals.
DoubtfulBear
BearSD said:

wifeisafurd said:

If I was UCLA's new head coach, I would try to get out of their 2025/2026 series with Georgia, or postpone it for several years, and play Cal in 2025/2026.
Playing us is a lose-lose-lose for UCLA. Much lower viewership and disappointing whether they win or lose on the field
kal kommie
DoubtfulBear said:

BearSD said:

wifeisafurd said:

Playing us is a lose-lose-lose for UCLA. Much lower viewership and disappointing whether they win or lose on the field
They're better off having a huge audience watch them get humiliated by UGA?
DoubtfulBear
kal kommie said:

DoubtfulBear said:

BearSD said:

wifeisafurd said:

They're better off having a huge audience watch them get humiliated by UGA?
Losing to Georgia is the expected result, no one would be surprised. As is beating us. Meanwhile losing to us would be devastating.
socaliganbear
They lose to us plenty. Not sure it would do much harm at all.... not saying they'll sign up to play us. But it wouldn't be devastating.
Cal88
I wouldn't mind a home and away with UCLA the next two seasons as our "A" non-conference game, but it looks like we're booked through 2027, as we have a home and away with Florida in 26/27 and already have a full slate of OOC games in 25 (@OSU, Minnesotta, @SDSU, UNLV) :

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/california/
DoubtfulBear
Between their B1G money vs. our partial ACC share, new recruits wanting to play P2, and likely a highly sought after HC next year (vs. year 10 of Wilcox on OC #5), it would be shocking if UCLA loses to us by then
pierrezo
Cal88 said:

I wouldn't mind a home and away with UCLA the next two seasons as our "A" non-conference game, but it looks like we're booked through 2027, as we have a home and away with Florida in 26/27 and already have a full slate of OOC games in 25 (@OSU, Minnesotta, @SDSU, UNLV) :

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/california/

Wow, we haven't exactly embraced the non-conference cupcake strategy.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.