Cal / Giants game

2,152 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by philbert
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
pretty cool

https://instagr.am/p/C4_NsSEP4ks

01Bear
As much as I loved the Bay Area when I lived there, I never became a Giants fan. So this doesn't really appeal to me aside from the Cal part.

That said, I hope this means the AD is (finally!) leveraging Cal's location to combine with the pro sports teams in the Bay to increase the Cal fanbase. This is something that should have been an annual event since the Giants moved to SF (and again, I say this as a non-Giants fan).
ducky23
Cal grad daulton Jeffries, who hasn't pitched in the majors in two years after two separate shoulder surgeries, will make his first start for the Giants today.
philbert
ducky23 said:

Cal grad daulton Jeffries, who hasn't pitched in the majors in two years after two separate shoulder surgeries, will make his first start for the Giants today.

Strykur
Baseball sucks with the new rules, not worth the trip anymore.
JimSox
ducky23 said:

Afraid it didn't go all that well.
rkt88edmo
They have this event every year. You have to buy the special ticket to get the swag. When they did ball caps the colors were royal blue cap with yellow gold lettering.
calumnus
01Bear said:

As much as I loved the Bay Area when I lived there, I never became a Giants fan. So this doesn't really appeal to me aside from the Cal part.

That said, I hope this means the AD is (finally!) leveraging Cal's location to combine with the pro sports teams in the Bay to increase the Cal fanbase. This is something that should have been an annual event since the Giants moved to SF (and again, I say this as a non-Giants fan).

Where were you from? I'm from LA so that was a hard "no" and Candlestick had to be endured but it was easy to become an A's fan as a Cal student in the 80's. Easy BART ride or drive and park for free at the BART lot. Bleacher seats in left field ("Ricky!") were $2 ($1 on Mondays) and beer was cheap and no ID was asked for.
01Bear
calumnus said:

01Bear said:

Where were you from? I'm from LA so that was a hard "no" and Candlestick had to be endured but it was easy to become an A's fan as a Cal student in the 80's. Easy BART ride or drive and park for free at the BART lot. Bleacher seats in left field ("Ricky!") were $2 ($1 on Mondays) and beer was cheap and no ID was asked for.

Same, I grew up primarily as a SoCal kid.

I'm not saying I love the Giants, because I don't. I'd also have preferred if Cal partnered up with the As, except that team's pissed off the East Bay fans and is transiting to Sacramento before it moves to Vegas. Cal's better off not affiliating itself with the kind of organization that's become persona non grata.

Alternatively, I'd love to see Cal partner with the Warriors (especially with the Kerr family connection). However, I don't see the Cal AD being able to pull that off. Frankly, I'm surprised the AD managed to pull off the Giants partnership.
calumnus
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

I'm not saying I love the Giants, because I don't. I'd also have preferred if Cal partnered up with the As, except that team's pissed off the East Bay fans and is transiting to Sacramento before it moves to Vegas. Cal's better off not affiliating itself with the kind of organization that's become persona non grata.

Alternatively, I'd love to see Cal partner with the Warriors (especially with the Kerr family connection). However, I don't see the Cal AD being able to pull that off. Frankly, I'm surprised the AD managed to pull off the Giants partnership.

Giant CEO Larry Baer is a Cal alum. It was probably the Giants that initiated it while Knowlton banks $1.3 million a year of our money mismanaging Cal athletics remotely from his home in Colorado.
Eastern Oregon Bear
calumnus said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

Giant CEO Larry Baer is a Cal alum. It was probably the Giants that initiated it while Knowlton banks $1.3 million a year of our money mismanaging Cal athletics remotely from his home in Colorado.
Around the time I was at Cal, Larry Baer was announcing Cal sports on KALX. I think he also did A's games for a couple of weeks in April one year when Charlie Finley hadn't gotten around to arranging a broadcast deal with a bigger station.
ducky23
calumnus said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

Giants have this type of event for most of the local schools. They even have an oregon night. So Cal is not special

https://www.mlb.com/giants/tickets/specials
MSaviolives
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

Around the time I was at Cal, Larry Baer was announcing Cal sports on KALX. I think he also did A's games for a couple of weeks in April one year when Charlie Finley hadn't gotten around to arranging a broadcast deal with a bigger station.
Yeah Larry was featured pretty prominently on the documentary about Gene Ransom--Larry was a good person to talk about Gene at Cal because Larry called the basketball games for KALX at that time.
philbert
ducky23 said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

Giants have this type of event for most of the local schools. They even have an oregon night. So Cal is not special

https://www.mlb.com/giants/tickets/specials

Yep. This is all about the Giants marketing folks helping to sell Giants tickets. Has nothing to do with JK.
rkt88edmo
And the A's have had them as well as the Sharks, they aren't unique or uncommon. I'm not sure about the Warriors, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did while in Oakland.
philbert
bearsandgiants
Best marketing move I can ever remember Cal being part of. This was amazing.

philbert

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.