Was the 1st round of the NFL Draft maybe good news for Cal?

3,085 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by WalterSobchak
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Okay, really good NFL Draft news for us will be when we start getting players drafted (again)...

But in the meantime, all those Pac 12 offensive players drafted in the 1st round -- heck, the first half of the 1st round?!? I'm not making excuses for our defense, which needs to get better, right away, but it's not like we were defending against the Little Sisters of the Poor last season. Some of our conference opponents had great offenses that were going to run up a ton of yards and score a ton of points on most teams.
AXLBear
No use trying to polish a turd
MinotStateBeav
Should be a warning to Running Backs thinking of going early in the NFL draft. 3 Rounds and 2 RBs.
calumnus
Big C said:

Okay, really good NFL Draft news for us will be when we start getting players drafted (again)...

But in the meantime, all those Pac 12 offensive players drafted in the 1st round -- heck, the first half of the 1st round?!? I'm not making excuses for our defense, which needs to get better, right away, but it's not like we were defending against the Little Sisters of the Poor last season. Some of our conference opponents had great offenses that were going to run up a ton of yards and score a ton of points on most teams.

4 teams scored 50 or more on us: UW, Oregon, Oregon State and USC. For UW and Oregon, it was their season high, the most they scored on anyone all season, even their D2 opponents. For USC and OSU, it was the second most points they scored, second only to the amount they scored on Stanford.

So yes, we played good offenses, but we (or Stanford) were the worst defense they played.
calumnus
MinotStateBeav said:

Should be a warning to Running Backs thinking of going early in the NFL draft. 3 Rounds and 2 RBs.

I think the feeling is there are a lot of good running backs but few stand out from the pack, so you can afford to wait and still get a good one in a later round.
MinotStateBeav
calumnus said:

MinotStateBeav said:

I think the feeling is there are a lot of good running backs but few stand out from the pack, so you can afford to wait and still get a good one in a later round.

Okay but that means that those running backs coming out are getting smaller and smaller paychecks. At a certain point now, its better to not even get drafted and be an UDFA.
calumnus
MinotStateBeav said:

calumnus said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Okay but that means that those running backs coming out are getting smaller and smaller paychecks. At a certain point now, its better to not even get drafted and be an UDFA.

Agreed.
Bobodeluxe
Or stay on a team that pays better.
MinotStateBeav
Bobodeluxe said:

Your pay is determined by your draft position...not a lot of wiggle room.
GMP
MinotStateBeav said:

How so? Everyone knows RBs rarely get drafted high. Everyone also knows RBs have short careers. If I was a RB considering whether to go early or not, would I think I'd have a better chance to go higher the next year? When I'm older, have more wear and tear, and will have had to spent a year avoiding serious injury? Get paid when you can. Running backs should always go early when they can.
MinotStateBeav
GMP said:

MinotStateBeav said:

How so? Everyone knows RBs rarely get drafted high. Everyone also knows RBs have short careers. If I was a RB considering whether to go early or not, would I think I'd have a better chance to go higher the next year? When I'm older, have more wear and tear, and will have had to spent a year avoiding serious injury? Get paid when you can. Running backs should always go early when they can.

College programs aren't running 1980s offenses anymore...these guys are coming out of college pretty healthy with low amounts of carries. Other than Wisconsin/Iowa, I can't think of power 5 teams that run the ball more than they pass. This is also translating into the NFL which is why NFL teams aren't drafting many RBs too and they stay healthier giving them longer careers, which in terms makes less available openings.
GMP
MinotStateBeav said:

GMP said:

MinotStateBeav said:

College programs aren't running 1980s offenses anymore...these guys are coming out of college pretty healthy with low amounts of carries. Other than Wisconsin/Iowa, I can't think of power 5 teams that run the ball more than they pass. This is also translating into the NFL which is why NFL teams aren't drafting many RBs too and they stay healthier giving them longer careers, which in terms makes less available openings.

You side stepped the most important question. Why would waiting a year help my draft stock? And even though I mostly agree with the statements you make, you also avoided my point about the risk of injury. Every carry, in game or practice, runs the risk of serious injury. And you also avoided my point that every year they age is likely one year fewer they get in the NFL on the backend.

NIL obviously changes this calculus a bit. If a RB is making more in college as he would in the NFL, staying makes sense. I suspect that is true for very few players, though.
KoreAmBear
GMP said:

MinotStateBeav said:

GMP said:

MinotStateBeav said:

You side stepped the most important question. Why would waiting a year help my draft stock? And even though I mostly agree with the statements you make, you also avoided my point about the risk of injury. Every carry, in game or practice, runs the risk of serious injury. And you also avoided my point that every year they age is likely one year fewer they get in the NFL on the backend.

NIL obviously changes this calculus a bit. If a RB is making more in college as he would in the NFL, staying makes sense. I suspect that is true for very few players, though.
I think an illustration that supports your point is Russell White. He had a career year as a junior in 1991, was one of the best RBs in college football, was explosive, and lead Cal to a #7 finish after demolishing Clemson. He came back for his senior season. Pawlawski and the other seniors from 1991 graduated, and he had a new coach in Gilby. More importantly, he tried to bulk up trying to be a guy who can punish you as well as juke you. Well he wasn't as explosive, and the team was not very good (Dave Barr's first year as QB). He probably also got beat up too as the focal point of the offense. He therefore did not optimize his profile for the NFL draft after the 1992 season (he did get drafted in the 3rd round by the Rams). I believe his draft stock was at its peak after his junior year.
Bobodeluxe
MinotStateBeav said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Not in college football.
Anarchistbear
Better to not have anyone drafted so we can remain the plucky underdogs
Oakbear
calumnus said:

Big C said:

4 teams scored 50 or more on us: UW, Oregon, Oregon State and USC. For UW and Oregon, it was their season high, the most they scored on anyone all season, even their D2 opponents. For USC and OSU, it was the second most points they scored, second only to the amount they scored on Stanford.

So yes, we played good offenses, but we (or Stanford) were the worst defense they played.
Why i lack faith in jw
calumnus
Oakbear said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

Why i lack faith in jw

A defense-minded coach who has had horrible offenses and now increasingly, equally bad defenses but our incompetent AD extended through year 11.

Hopefully year 8 is different. We need to make a splash in the ACC.
oski003
calumnus said:

Oakbear said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

Why i lack faith in jw

A defense-minded coach who has had horrible offenses and now increasingly, equally bad defenses but our incompetent AD extended through year 11.

Wonder how the six teams we beat last year, including Stanfurd and UCLA, feel about our horrible offense and bad defense.
calumnus
oski003 said:

calumnus said:

Oakbear said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

Why i lack faith in jw

Wonder how the six teams we beat last year, including Stanfurd and UCLA, feel about our horrible offense and bad defense.

Sure, and also ask the 7 teams we lost to?

UCLA's coach quit after that loss. Stanford was one of the worst teams in the country.

Despite being a losing record, it was Wilcox's best season in 4 years and it was AFTER the PAC-10 collapse, so as great as you may think it was it was too little too late.
AunBear89
You will have to excuse 003. He reflexively defends the indefensible.

He thinks it makes him look edgy because he's a contrarian.

You say the sky is blue, he'll tell you why it's really green, and why you're dumb for believing everything that tells you it's blue.

Let him play his little word games so he can pretend he's contributing to the discussion.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Oakbear
"You will have to excuse 003. He reflexively defends the indefensible."

based on his moniker, he perhaps has only dealt with our crappy performance for 20 years or so LOL
oski003
AunBear89 said:

You say the sky is blue, he'll tell you why it's really green, and why you're dumb for believing everything that tells you it's blue.

Let him play his little word games so he can pretend he's contributing to the discussion.

I don't feel the efforts made by our football team, which went to a bowl game, were indefensible. Get a life.
BearSD
GMP said:

MinotStateBeav said:

GMP said:

MinotStateBeav said:

The NFL minimum salary for rookies is $750,000, and that minimum applies to undrafted free agents. Any player who is drafted gets more. The last pick in the last round (7th) gets a four-year deal that averages over $1 million per year.

So, yeah, any RB that makes an NFL roster is almost certainly making more than he could make by playing college ball for an extra year and risking an injury that could keep him from ever making an NFL roster.
calumnus
oski003 said:

AunBear89 said:

I don't feel the efforts made by our football team, which went to a bowl game, were indefensible. Get a life.

1st, that is a mischaracterization. Nothing I said was an attack on "the efforts of our team." I think you know that. If you want to defend my criticisms of the coaching, go for it. At least that would be honest.

Yes, on the positive side it was our best season since 2019. Ott lead the PAC-12 in rushing. We beat a horrible Stanford team for the Axe. We beat UCLA with Chip Kelly quiet quitting before he actually quit.

On the other hand….We came in 8th in the PAC-12. Wilcox's 7th straight finish in the bottom half of the conference in 7 tries. We again had a losing record. We had the #11 defense in conference thanks only to Stanford being the worst in the country. We made a bowl game despite not having a winning record thanks to schools above us declining. We then looked terrible losing in that bowl game.

oski003
calumnus said:

oski003 said:

AunBear89 said:

1st, that is a mischaracterization. Nothing I said was an attack on "the efforts of our team." I think you know that. If you want to defend my criticisms of the coaching, go for it. At least that would be honest.

Yes, on the positive side it was our best season since 2019. Ott lead the PAC-12 in rushing. We beat a horrible Stanford team for the Axe. We beat UCLA with Chip Kelly quiet quitting before he actually quit.

On the other hand….We came in 8th in the PAC-12. Wilcox's 7th straight finish in the bottom half of the conference in 7 tries. We again had a losing record. We had the #11 defense in conference thanks only to Stanford being the worst in the country. We made a bowl game despite not having a winning record thanks to schools above us declining. We then looked terrible losing in that bowl game.

Angrybear89 implied Cal football was indefensible. My reply was to him. As far as my previous reply to you, again, we wouldn't have won as many games as we did if both our offense and defense were as you characterized them, especially in light of the fact we lost a game practically by itself because of poor special teams.
AunBear89
Reading comprehension fail.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
oski003
AunBear89 said:

Reading comprehension fail.

So you only chimed in to take a potshot at me and did not attempt to say anything substantive? GTFO.
MinotStateBeav
BearSD said:

GMP said:

MinotStateBeav said:

GMP said:

MinotStateBeav said:

The NFL minimum salary for rookies is $750,000, and that minimum applies to undrafted free agents. Any player who is drafted gets more. The last pick in the last round (7th) gets a four-year deal that averages over $1 million per year.

So, yeah, any RB that makes an NFL roster is almost certainly making more than he could make by playing college ball for an extra year and risking an injury that could keep him from ever making an NFL roster.

Being UDFA vs being 7th Rounder. What's better? Well the UDFA can pick a team that's not as strong at his position, whereas a 7th rounder is at the mercy of whatever team picked him. Either way their best chance is usually sticking on the practice squad which makes about $12.5k/week. Which is a nice job, but you can only be on practice squads for 2 years so it's not long term.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-practice-squad-salary-eligibility-rules-2023/vuvavtn3mbkq68spwkb5k8pz
Logy
All of these highly touted Pac quarterbacks and nobody in the national media wants to mention that Goff was better.
concordtom
MinotStateBeav said:

Bobodeluxe said:

I think he was saying stay in college and you can get more NIL money than NFL money.
BearSD
MinotStateBeav said:

BearSD said:

GMP said:

MinotStateBeav said:

GMP said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Being UDFA vs being 7th Rounder. What's better? Well the UDFA can pick a team that's not as strong at his position, whereas a 7th rounder is at the mercy of whatever team picked him. Either way their best chance is usually sticking on the practice squad which makes about $12.5k/week. Which is a nice job, but you can only be on practice squads for 2 years so it's not long term.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-practice-squad-salary-eligibility-rules-2023/vuvavtn3mbkq68spwkb5k8pz
This article claims there were 80 UDFAs on NFL week 1 rosters in 2023, out of 1696 active roster spots.

If about 80 rookie UDFAs make week 1 active rosters, and the average NFL team brings 15 UDFAs into camp, then about 17 percent of each year's UDFAs will make an active roster. About 40 percent of 7th round picks make the week 1 active roster, so on average it's still better to be a 7th round pick, though it's probably not better to be a 7th rounder at a position for which the drafting team is already loaded.
WalterSobchak
calumnus said:

We beat UCLA with Chip Kelly quiet quitting before he actually quit.
Kelly coached Ucla to a dominating win over USC the week before we beat them and a sizeable win over Boise in the LA Bowl in their next game after they lost big to us. Cal was simply better than Ucla last year and definitely wanted it more that night in Pasadena.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
StillNoStanfurdium
WalterSobchak said:

calumnus said:

Kelly coached Ucla to a dominating win over USC the week before we beat them and a sizeable win over Boise in the LA Bowl in their next game after they lost big to us. Cal was simply better than Ucla last year and definitely wanted it more that night in Pasadena.
It's also worth noting that UCLA beat USC & Boise State with Ethan Garbers at QB and he got injured early against us which led to Dante Moore coming in and getting absolutely overwhelmed. Moore, I believe, absolutely basically gave up mid-way through the game as is evidenced by the crushing sack/fumble that Reese caused. https://www.tiktok.com/@espn/video/7305635636927614250

Have NEVER seen a QB stay so still before getting sacked.
WalterSobchak
StillNoStanfurdium said:

WalterSobchak said:

calumnus said:

It's also worth noting that UCLA beat USC & Boise State with Ethan Garbers at QB and he got injured early against us which led to Dante Moore coming in and getting absolutely overwhelmed. Moore, I believe, absolutely basically gave up mid-way through the game as is evidenced by the crushing sack/fumble that Reese caused. https://www.tiktok.com/@espn/video/7305635636927614250

Have NEVER seen a QB stay so still before getting sacked.

No, it's not. Injuries are part of the game. It's not like Chip benched Garbers for our game. Carlton simply abused their RT and did his job. Again, a Cal player being better than a Ucla player. By this logic I guess Cal won in Arizona in 2021 because we didn't have our starting QB and our backup was clearly overwhelmed. BTW, Moore was 23-38 (60%) for 266 yds and a TD against us. He threw 2 picks because that's his thing, not because he was checked out. There is zero evidence Moore gave up. It's pathetic Cal fan fiction.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
DoubtfulBear
Logy said:

All of these highly touted Pac quarterbacks and nobody in the national media wants to mention that Goff was better.

Hardly anyone knows Goff went to Cal though
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTL926Ra8/
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.