Cal Game Day Info For ACC Fans

12,048 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by OBear073akaSMFan
TexanMark
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a favor. I'm writing an article rating Cuse's away game road trips this year. I do it annually.

Here is a link to last year's article:

https://www.nunesmagician.com/2023/8/7/23798871/syracuse-orange-football-texanmarks-2023-road-trip-guide

Can you help me with suggestions for visiting fans?

Game day parking for visiting fans. Tailgating be allowed is a huge plus. Both officially and unofficial spots are requested.

Things to do near the stadium on game day

Restaurants in Berkeley (both fancy and casual)
Note: Sad to hear about Spenger's.

Special attractions in the East Bay

Tips on getting to the game by BART and Car.

Any nearby motels offer game day shuttles?

Finally any game traditions or special stadium foods we need to try?

Thanks
75bear
Top Dog is a must do.
rkt88edmo
Don't leave your luggage or anything else unattended in your car, even in the locked trunk.

#1 on my list - Take in the view from the top of the Campanile, unique bonus if you go when they play the carillon.
https://visit.berkeley.edu/campus-attractions/campanile

List of self guided campus tours based on interest:
https://visit.berkeley.edu/campus-tours/self-guided-tours-maps

Walk through the oldest second growth redwood forest in CA in Joaquin Miller Park (or go to Muir Woods) just remember don't leave your luggage or anything else unattended in your car, even in the locked trunk.

Walk or drive across the Golden Gate Bridge

Definitely eat at top dog.

If you want to visit Alcatraz book well in advance.

Cal Band rally on Sproul plaza 90 minutes before kickoff
https://www.kalw.org/show/crosscurrents/2019-10-03/the-heart-of-uc-berkeley-sproul-plaza
https://experiments.californiahistoricalsociety.org/lawrence-halprin-and-the-plaza-that-changed-the-world/

and, don't leave your luggage or anything else unattended in your car, even in the locked trunk.

calbear80
Go up to the Lawrence Hall of Science and see one of the most beautiful views in the world.

Go Bears!
SFCALBear72
BART is a great way to get to and from the game especially if you're staying in San Francisco.

You'll need a Clipper Card to enter and exit the fare gates.

Clipper and Pay by Phone | Bay Area Rapid Transit (bart.gov)

Downtown Berkeley is your stop. Allow yourself enough time to take a leisurely walk across campus or up Bancroft to Memorial Stadium.

The Richmond Line train is what you take from SF/Peninsula or Southern Alameda County.
TexanMark
I assume unless both our teams are in the Top 10 the game won't sell out. Does the secondary ticket market offer great deals on tickets for a game like Syracuse? What are the visitor sections? Still Sections MM through P?
calbear80
If both teams are doing moderately well, there is a chance that a considerable number of visiting fans will attend the game.

Go Bears!
KoreAmBear
TexanMark said:

I have a favor. I'm writing an article rating Cuse's away game road trips this year. I do it annually.

Here is a link to last year's article:

https://www.nunesmagician.com/2023/8/7/23798871/syracuse-orange-football-texanmarks-2023-road-trip-guide

Can you help me with suggestions for visiting fans?

Game day parking for visiting fans. Tailgating be allowed is a huge plus. Both officially and unofficial spots are requested.

Things to do near the stadium on game day

Restaurants in Berkeley (both fancy and casual)
Note: Sad to hear about Spenger's.

Special attractions in the East Bay

Tips on getting to the game by BART and Car.

Any nearby motels offer game day shuttles?

Finally any game traditions or special stadium foods we need to try?

Thanks
Most important part -- pregaming -- Triple Rock, Jupiter or Cornerstone, all on Shattuck near Berkeley BART. Berkeley and the Bay Area have a lot of terrific craft beers. My fav is Fieldwork, and I am fond of their Hazy IPA. You can also see if you can tailgate on campus at the Write For Cal tailgate. Check out X profile @TwistNHook for more details closer to the game. They've set up close to Sproul Hall where the Cal Band and cheer squads do their pre-game rally, so it's easy to check that out to, then a 15 minute walk up to the stadium through campus.

They have a trolley shuttle from Berkeley BART to the stadium. Otherwise it's a nice 20 minute leisurely walk to and through campus up to the stadium. You can also park at lots in the Telegraph area, or street park (not sure how the permitting works, but find out if that is feasible), but the further away there are houses or schools that have game day parking. There is parking on Frat Row near the stadium along Piedmont but it will be at least $50 for the proximity.

For food, Top Dog (only one now) is a must, but while you might laugh, try the Chef's Salad at Mezzo on Telegraph -- the best chef's salad I've ever had, at least for the price and amount of food you get. Oh forgot a pre-game spot next door at Raleigh's but it will probably be packed. You also gotta try Yogurt Park before or after the game. They've been around a long time withstanding the froyo ups and downs. Still the best. I'm gonna let others talk about sit down places for dining and usually Chez Panisse and Great China are part of the convo. I like the City (SF) for nicer places. Btw, if you like seafood and esp. oysters, what I consider the best food experience in the Bay for me is still Swan Oyster Depot, essentially an American sushi place, freshest seafood and delectable. The SOD counter (limited to like 20 patrons at a time) is a SF treasure and they also have beer on tap (Anchor Steam used to go really well with the Dungeness crab cocktail but Anchor shut down) Anthony Bourdain swore by it. You have to go early to avoid the long lines. Look it up.

Plenty more stuff to go over, but I'll let others fill in. Have fun!

MTbear22
calbear80 said:

Go up to the Lawrence Hall of Science and see one of the most beautiful views in the world.

Go Bears!

Note to the OP: Either this is a massive exaggeration or the poster needs to get out more. Don't set your expectations that high.
TexanMark
Awesome inputs

Thanks

When you come to Syracuse this is our famous hot dog place

It is located about 5 miles NW of the campus.

https://heidsofliverpool.com/
Bearly Clad
Lots of stuff to do in the area if you're making a weekend trip, off the top of my head depending on time constraints:

-check out SF Chinatown and stroll through looking at the shops. Stop for lunch at a dim sum restaurant, Hang Ah Tea Room is an historic classic

-Fisherman's wharf, stroll down and have a nice seafood lunch or dinner. It's gotten really kitschy and touristy but there's still some good spots. Blue bottle coffee is a favorite if you need a pick me up. If you want something stronger then not far away is the Buena Vista Cafe where they invented the Irish Coffee and has tons of different iterations of it to try. Always a fun stop even for people who live in the area

-Oakland during game week is a much better stop imo. There are top tier restaurants of any kind, it's easier to get around than the city, and will actually have sunshine instead of a grey fog coating. If you want any particular kind of food then you can feel free to dm me for recommendations, if it's a football group coming in I would say Horn BBQ is a great stop, it's one of the only Michelin star BBQ joints on the West Coast. There's also some great nature and parks if you're interested, a visit to the redwoods, eucalyptus groves up in the Oakland hills with the best views of The Bay, a walk around lake Temescal or Lake Merritt all with great food in the area and much easier parking or cheaper and quicker Lyft/Uber rides than the city.

-Game day I would say getting there early enough to park down on telegraph and walk your way up. Check out the vibe, stop at a bar to pregame, and walk up through Sproul Gate to the Campanile and see the view before heading to the stadium. A stop at Top Dog is always good, I just don't want to overhype it because even though it's a fan/local favorite it's not like it'll be the best meal you ever had; but it's been a staple with students/alumni for decades and holds a special place in our hearts

-Tailgating will probably be the most disappointing aspect of the trip. The University of California really shot itself in the foot by mismanaging the area around the stadium and as a result there is no centralized tailgating location. You'll find some people scattered in some parking lots nearby and some slightly larger events by the stadium but few will really bring to mind a traditional football tailgating experience. It's not like the East and South where you'll have people bring in giant grill and smoker setups to do full spreads. Expect more burgers and hot dogs than some of the things I've had while tailgating at away games (giant briskets, gumbo, lobster rolls when I visited my cousin at BC, etc.). Generally you'll be better off at a local bar, or pub if you have kids, grab some food and some drinks and just walk your way up.

-Parking will be the most frustrating, if you're willing to pay then it's fine but still cramped. If you get there early enough you can find free parking. But just a warning, beware of the side streets and residential neighborhoods. The moronic city of Berkeley and the yuppie homeowners hate having people park on their streets and have a ton of them needlessly blocked off, and a million and one permitting rules and codes that it takes several advanced degrees to decipher. You can find free spots for sure but make sure you check the timing and permitting rules on the signs by your car because the meter maids are out in force on game day and they take no prisoners

-If you have time, driving down from above the stadium and maybe taking a short hike in Strawberry Canyon before heading down to the stadium is the best view of California Memorial Stadium and another way to get free parking if you get there early enough or get lucky

That's all I've got for now but if I think of anything else I'll amend it
flounder
Bearly Clad said:

Lots of stuff to do in the area if you're making a weekend trip, off the top of my head depending on time constraints:

-check out SF Chinatown and stroll through looking at the shops. Stop for lunch at a dim sum restaurant, Hang Ah Tea Room is an historic classic

-Fisherman's wharf, stroll down and have a nice seafood lunch or dinner. It's gotten really kitschy and touristy but there's still some good spots. Blue bottle coffee is a favorite if you need a pick me up. If you want something stronger then not far away is the Buena Vista Cafe where they invented the Irish Coffee and has tons of different iterations of it to try. Always a fun stop even for people who live in the area

-Oakland during game week is a much better stop imo. There are top tier restaurants of any kind, it's easier to get around than the city, and will actually have sunshine instead of a grey fog coating. If you want any particular kind of food then you can feel free to dm me for recommendations, if it's a football group coming in I would say Horn BBQ is a great stop, it's one of the only Michelin star BBQ joints on the West Coast. There's also some great nature and parks if you're interested, a visit to the redwoods, eucalyptus groves up in the Oakland hills with the best views of The Bay, a walk around lake Temescal or Lake Merritt all with great food in the area and much easier parking or cheaper and quicker Lyft/Uber rides than the city.

-Game day I would say getting there early enough to park down on telegraph and walk your way up. Check out the vibe, stop at a bar to pregame, and walk up through Sproul Gate to the Campanile and see the view before heading to the stadium. A stop at Top Dog is always good, I just don't want to overhype it because even though it's a fan/local favorite it's not like it'll be the best meal you ever had; but it's been a staple with students/alumni for decades and holds a special place in our hearts

-Tailgating will probably be the most disappointing aspect of the trip. The University of California really shot itself in the foot by mismanaging the area around the stadium and as a result there is no centralized tailgating location. You'll find some people scattered in some parking lots nearby and some slightly larger events by the stadium but few will really bring to mind a traditional football tailgating experience. It's not like the East and South where you'll have people bring in giant grill and smoker setups to do full spreads. Expect more burgers and hot dogs than some of the things I've had while tailgating at away games (giant briskets, gumbo, lobster rolls when I visited my cousin at BC, etc.). Generally you'll be better off at a local bar, or pub if you have kids, grab some food and some drinks and just walk your way up.

-Parking will be the most frustrating, if you're willing to pay then it's fine but still cramped. If you get there early enough you can find free parking. But just a warning, beware of the side streets and residential neighborhoods. The moronic city of Berkeley and the yuppie homeowners hate having people park on their streets and have a ton of them needlessly blocked off, and a million and one permitting rules and codes that it takes several advanced degrees to decipher. You can find free spots for sure but make sure you check the timing and permitting rules on the signs by your car because the meter maids are out in force on game day and they take no prisoners

-If you have time, driving down from above the stadium and maybe taking a short hike in Strawberry Canyon before heading down to the stadium is the best view of California Memorial Stadium and another way to get free parking if you get there early enough or get lucky

fisherman's wharf sucks. marina/cow hollow is a way better experience for everything, especially food (buena vista is awesome so we will give it an exception).
Go!Bears
MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

Note to the OP: Either this is a massive exaggeration or the poster needs to get out more. Don't set your expectations that high.
one of... All depends on what you like, but if you catch it at sunset, I would love to see your list of 10 better. BTW, the turn-outs on Grizzly Peak don't count.
MTbear22
Go!Bears said:

MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

one of... All depends on what you like, but if you catch it at sunset, I would love to see your list of 10 better. BTW, the turn-outs on Grizzly Peak don't count.
In the world? I could give you ten better within a couple hours of me (I live in Montana).
Mikeman
In stadium, walk up to top row and over look the bay….. at the Auburn game, I was surrounded by a sea of Auburn fans. They were friendly. I told them to go to top row and check out the view. They appreciated the advice.
wifeisafurd
The City used to be a great place to stay. There is a lot of crime. Larceny such as car break-ins and theft primarily, has caused a lot of stuff to close (restaurants, shops, shopping centers) and driven visitors away. The homeless are all over, and in the districts where the main hotels are located, very few tourists go out on the street so the homeless seem so visible. There is also now a doom loop discussion and on and on. Long debate, but a lot less people are willing to stay in SF. The City could come back in the long run, but it is going through a rough patch, and we would not recommend visitors stay there currently.

Just appreciate there all sorts a great places to stay outside the City . There is wine country (Napa and Sonoma) or Sausalito, for example, which we like and it is an easy drive into Berkeley. The Grand Dame hotel near campus is the Claremont Fairmont. There are a few less expensive hotels in Berkeley, which some people like, but you will never get my wife to go to. Mostly downscale. A lot of people like to stay in the Walnut Creek area, including us. Oakland has gentrified, but that is more for the young and hip who know where to go and not go. The Bay Area is expensive relative to most other places. On the flip side there is a lot to see and do. I'm sure posters can help there. If you golf, you are in a great area, especially if you have connections to some of the most famous courses in the world.

As for game day, Berkeley has great restaurants. There are plenty of Michelin rated spots, and you can go on line to see lists of all the food places to go. Some you definitely meet reservations. The slow food movement started at the famous Chez Panisse and you make reservation yesterday. Zachary's for pizza, Rick and Ann's for breakfast, Camal's and Flacco for Mexican, Great Wall for Chinese, and restaurants on College such as Wood Tavern (not that close to the stadium). There are a lot of other restaurants and views, which other posters can provide. Food is a big deal in Berkeley. Then for quick bites nearby: Top Dog is an institution, La Val's for North of campus pizza, La Barrita, Kips for quick burger or pizza, the Faculty Club (surprisingly nice and nearby). Again, I expect a lot of debate. Someone else should provide bars, the watering holes I knew have shut down (e.g., Blake's). There is a "tailgate town" in the field next to Memorial Stadium, which seems nice for kids and has a few places to buy food and drink. It is not traditional tailgating.

Fly into Oakland airport, not SF. The school is on a hill in Berkeley. Climbing the campus to the stadium is good exercise. Views from campus are outstanding, The Stadium, near the top of the hill, has dramatic views of the entire Bay, Golden Gate Bridge and the City.

Often there are water polo (a big Cal sport) or women's basketball games before football games that take place in west campus, down the hill.

There is no single area designated for tail-gate parties for visitors. There typically is lot's of small tailgates through-out campus. Tailgating is not as big as in the southern schools, and as mentioned above Berkeley has a big restaurant scene ranging from high end to Top Dog. Student wise, there are huge parties on fraternity row, and visiting fans can hear some stupidity from time to time. The stadium scene towards visiting fans is low key.

Architecturally, there are some famous buildings on campus, many funded by Hearst money, and designed and built under the supervision of the renowned Julia Morgan and John Galen Howard. The campus is a sort of a mess in terms of a master plan, but entering through the famous Sather Gate and walking north you get a sense of the historical campus.

Traditions: The pregame rally is at Sproul Plaza, which is hosted by the Cal band, cheerleaders, and dance team. After you attend the rally, you can join them in the March to Victory up the hillside to the Stadium. About 2 hours and 20 minutes before kick-off, the football team unloads off the bus, touches the Bear and walks through the crowd and into Memorial Stadium. There also is a monument to the Big Play right by the Bear statue. Some people watch the game on the hill above the stadium known as Tight Wad Hill. There is a cannabis aroma around. There also is a loud cannon which, in theory, shoots when Cal scores, and when the team enters the playing field. If Cal is going to win, you will hear the Bear Territory chant. Sometimes there are flyovers a few minutes before the game. And the cannon may shoot off, as noted above.

The game: traffic is badly controlled by Berkeley police, and when you get of the campus border, students control the campus and they know what they are doing. Parking is horrible and if you get tickets, try to get a parking pass to one of the many designated lots in and around campus. The Stadium has been remodeled and is impressive looking, and in a beautiful location, with views galore. The alumni side has clubs between the 30s, where if you have seats you have access to restaurants in the lower Field Club, and in the upper seating areas (known as the Stadium or the University Club) complimentary premium food and beverages including beer, wine and liquor. They changed the vendor for the food and beverages. The experience for many now seems to be poor, and the Stadium Club in particular has seen attendance wane. Many visiting fans now can and do buy individual seats in the upper clubs for a convenient experience (the tickets also come with premium parking near the Stadium, which is huge). This would have never been the case in the early Tedford years, where the Stadium typically sold out, but in these days with mediocre teams, the attendance in the Clubs (other than the Field Club) and overall has dropped. The Clubs have nice padded seatbacks with cupholders. Sections EE, F, FF, H, HH, and I contain bleacher seats with back support. With corner and end zone seating, it is on metal bleachers without a back. Unless attendance picks-up, you should be able to stub hub into better seats. The non-club food in the stadium actually is pretty good for stadium food. There is a lot of debate on the game experience, which other can address. We like going to games, we now sit in the field club because we like to be close to the action, and we eat in Berkeley, often admittedly at Top Dog.

Hope this helps.

SBGold
Bearly Clad said:

Fisherman's Wharf and Chinatown are just kitschy hangouts, not the place to spend time in.

Be prepared for the long uphill walk from BART to the stadium. At least coming back it's downhill
calbear80
MTbear22 said:

Go!Bears said:

MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

In the world? I could give you ten better within a couple hours of me (I live in Montana).

I would love to see your list.

Go Bears!
calbear80
MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

. Get out more? You'll be surprised how many countries I have been to.
. Now, I have to admit that I am very biased about everything Cal. I fell in love when I walked into the campus 40+ years ago.
. And, as for the view from Lawrence Hall of Science being one of the best, I should note that I went through some very difficult personal issues while a student at Cal. When things were just horrible, I would go up to Lawrence Hall of Science, just watch the sunset and get renewed to deal with the issues.
. Plus, many of us started or solidified a new relationship while sitting in the car up there (you know what I mean!).

Go Bears!
Cal88
MTbear22 said:

Go!Bears said:

MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

Definitely world class, I can't think of a better setting and view in any other American city, it's right up there with Rio, Hong Kong, Vancouver, Sydney etc as large cities by the water with exceptional natural settings.

If you're up there above campus, check out the UC Botanical Gardens, also world class, with an exceptional plant variety and gorgeous views.
Bearly Clad
SBGold said:

Fisherman's Wharf and Chinatown are just kitschy hangouts, not the place to spend time in.

Be prepared for the long uphill walk from BART to the stadium. At least coming back it's downhill
I definitely agree but Fisherman's Wharf is still a pretty area to go walk down by the water. I just wouldn't spend any money there at the stupid **** like the Madame Tousseauds, the goofy cart tours, the expensive restaurants, etc. But you can still find some good booths that serve a reasonably priced bread bowl clam chowder and there's some other stuff. I wouldn't make a day of it but walking around for a little bit is fine.

Chinatown is still cool to walk through even though it's a tourist trap. The shops are always fun just to look through and window shop. Some really good bars there too and they do the cold plate ice cream that takes forever to make but it's very good. And if you go to the dive restaurants or know mandarin (or have a friend who does) you can find some of the best undiscovered food in the area
TexanMark
I ran across Nation's Burger. For guys needing a late night food fix is it recommended?
ColoradoBear
MTbear22 said:

Go!Bears said:

MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

bipolarbear
wifeisafurd said:

The City used to be a great place to stay. There is a lot of crime. Larceny such as car break-ins and theft primarily, has caused a lot of stuff to close (restaurants, shops, shopping centers) and driven visitors away. The homeless are all over, and in the districts where the main hotels are located, very few tourists go out on the street so the homeless seem so visible. There is also now a doom loop discussion and on and on. Long debate, but a lot less people are willing to stay in SF. The City could come back in the long run, but it is going through a rough patch, and we would not recommend visitors stay there currently.

Just appreciate there all sorts a great places to stay outside the City . There is wine country (Napa and Sonoma) or Sausalito, for example, which we like and it is an easy drive into Berkeley. The Grand Dame hotel near campus is the Claremont Fairmont. There are a few less expensive hotels in Berkeley, which some people like, but you will never get my wife to go to. Mostly downscale. A lot of people like to stay in the Walnut Creek area, including us. Oakland has gentrified, but that is more for the young and hip who know where to go and not go. The Bay Area is expensive relative to most other places. On the flip side there is a lot to see and do. I'm sure posters can help there. If you golf, you are in a great area, especially if you have connections to some of the most famous courses in the world.

As for game day, Berkeley has great restaurants. There are plenty of Michelin rated spots, and you can go on line to see lists of all the food places to go. Some you definitely meet reservations. The slow food movement started at the famous Chez Panisse and you make reservation yesterday. Zachary's for pizza, Rick and Ann's for breakfast, Camal's and Flacco for Mexican, Great Wall for Chinese, and restaurants on College such as Wood Tavern (not that close to the stadium). There are a lot of other restaurants and views, which other posters can provide. Food is a big deal in Berkeley. Then for quick bites nearby: Top Dog is an institution, La Val's for North of campus pizza, La Barrita, Kips for quick burger or pizza, the Faculty Club (surprisingly nice and nearby). Again, I expect a lot of debate. Someone else should provide bars, the watering holes I knew have shut down (e.g., Blake's). There is a "tailgate town" in the field next to Memorial Stadium, which seems nice for kids and has a few places to buy food and drink. It is not traditional tailgating.

Fly into Oakland airport, not SF. The school is on a hill in Berkeley. Climbing the campus to the stadium is good exercise. Views from campus are outstanding, The Stadium, near the top of the hill, has dramatic views of the entire Bay, Golden Gate Bridge and the City.

Often there are water polo (a big Cal sport) or women's basketball games before football games that take place in west campus, down the hill.

There is no single area designated for tail-gate parties for visitors. There typically is lot's of small tailgates through-out campus. Tailgating is not as big as in the southern schools, and as mentioned above Berkeley has a big restaurant scene ranging from high end to Top Dog. Student wise, there are huge parties on fraternity row, and visiting fans can hear some stupidity from time to time. The stadium scene towards visiting fans is low key.

Architecturally, there are some famous buildings on campus, many funded by Hearst money, and designed and built under the supervision of the renowned Julia Morgan and John Galen Howard. The campus is a sort of a mess in terms of a master plan, but entering through the famous Sather Gate and walking north you get a sense of the historical campus.

Traditions: The pregame rally is at Sproul Plaza, which is hosted by the Cal band, cheerleaders, and dance team. After you attend the rally, you can join them in the March to Victory up the hillside to the Stadium. About 2 hours and 20 minutes before kick-off, the football team unloads off the bus, touches the Bear and walks through the crowd and into Memorial Stadium. There also is a monument to the Big Play right by the Bear statue. Some people watch the game on the hill above the stadium known as Tight Wad Hill. There is a cannabis aroma around. There also is a loud cannon which, in theory, shoots when Cal scores, and when the team enters the playing field. If Cal is going to win, you will hear the Bear Territory chant. Sometimes there are flyovers a few minutes before the game. And the cannon may shoot off, as noted above.

The game: traffic is badly controlled by Berkeley police, and when you get of the campus border, students control the campus and they know what they are doing. Parking is horrible and if you get tickets, try to get a parking pass to one of the many designated lots in and around campus. The Stadium has been remodeled and is impressive looking, and in a beautiful location, with views galore. The alumni side has clubs between the 30s, where if you have seats you have access to restaurants in the lower Field Club, and in the upper seating areas (known as the Stadium or the University Club) complimentary premium food and beverages including beer, wine and liquor. They changed the vendor for the food and beverages. The experience for many now seems to be poor, and the Stadium Club in particular has seen attendance wane. Many visiting fans now can and do buy individual seats in the upper clubs for a convenient experience (the tickets also come with premium parking near the Stadium, which is huge). This would have never been the case in the early Tedford years, where the Stadium typically sold out, but in these days with mediocre teams, the attendance in the Clubs (other than the Field Club) and overall has dropped. The Clubs have nice padded seatbacks with cupholders. Sections EE, F, FF, H, HH, and I contain bleacher seats with back support. With corner and end zone seating, it is on metal bleachers without a back. Unless attendance picks-up, you should be able to stub hub into better seats. The non-club food in the stadium actually is pretty good for stadium food. There is a lot of debate on the game experience, which other can address. We like going to games, we now sit in the field club because we like to be close to the action, and we eat in Berkeley, often admittedly at Top Dog.

Hope this helps.

^^^ This.
KoreAmBear
TexanMark said:

I ran across Nation's Burger. For guys needing a late night food fix is it recommended?
Nation's (many locations in the East Bay) is a hole in the wall, great late night food joint, serving burgers as well as breakfast all day. But heck if you are driving, In N Out has pretty late hours too. A favorite of mine is the Persian Burger at Bongo Burger. It is a lamb patty on a french roll. So fricken good. Two locations in Berkeley. Someone mentioned Comal (by BART) -- upscale Mexican place, with really good food, drinks and cool vibe/setting.
75bear
Yeah, In-N-Out > Nation's for a late night burger fix, and it's much more of a California icon.
SBGold
Bearly Clad said:

SBGold said:

I definitely agree but Fisherman's Wharf is still a pretty area to go walk down by the water. I just wouldn't spend any money there at the stupid **** like the Madame Tousseauds, the goofy cart tours, the expensive restaurants, etc. But you can still find some good booths that serve a reasonably priced bread bowl clam chowder and there's some other stuff. I wouldn't make a day of it but walking around for a little bit is fine.

Chinatown is still cool to walk through even though it's a tourist trap. The shops are always fun just to look through and window shop. Some really good bars there too and they do the cold plate ice cream that takes forever to make but it's very good. And if you go to the dive restaurants or know mandarin (or have a friend who does) you can find some of the best undiscovered food in the area
Fair enough on Chinatown. Golden Gate Bakery is great for dan tat, I'll give you that
MTbear22
calbear80 said:

MTbear22 said:

Go!Bears said:

MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

Go Bears!

The local ones, in no particular order
1. Deck of Many Glacier Lodge
2. Top of Mt Washburn
3. Top of Mt Blackmore
4. Hidden Lake overlook
5. Upper Two Medicine Lake
6. Top of Beartooth Pass
7. Avalanche Lake
8. Top of Mt Brown
9. Top of Hogback Mountain
10. Salmon Lake in the Swan Valley in the fall when the larch are all gold
CNHTH
"Game day parking"
Lol
calumnus
MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

MTbear22 said:

Go!Bears said:

MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

Go Bears!

2. Top of Mt Washburn
3. Top of Mt Blackmore
4. Hidden Lake overlook
6. Top of Beartooth Pass
7. Avalanche Lake
8. Top of Mt Brown

All seen from the University of Montana's football stadium?

I have great views of nature from my house too (more of the tropical Pacific island kind), but it is apples and oranges. As far as views of cities go, the view from Berkeley toward the Golden Gate is definitely world class.
MTbear22
calumnus said:

MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

MTbear22 said:

Go!Bears said:

MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

Go Bears!

2. Top of Mt Washburn
3. Top of Mt Blackmore
4. Hidden Lake overlook
6. Top of Beartooth Pass
7. Avalanche Lake
8. Top of Mt Brown

I have great views of nature from my house too (more of the tropical Pacific island kind), but it is apples and oranges. As far as views of cities go, the view from Berkeley toward the Golden Gate is definitely world class.

Who said anything about from the stadium? The original poster said "one of the most beautiful views in the world," which I noted was an exaggeration. I'm a mountain guy, obviously; hell the views from my deck are better than those from Lawrence, but even if you prefer sea or city scapes, there's plenty just as good and better.

It's a pretty view, don't get me wrong, I just chuckled at the extreme overselling of it.
calumnus
MTbear22 said:

calumnus said:

MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

MTbear22 said:

Go!Bears said:

MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

Go Bears!

2. Top of Mt Washburn
3. Top of Mt Blackmore
4. Hidden Lake overlook
6. Top of Beartooth Pass
7. Avalanche Lake
8. Top of Mt Brown

Who said anything about from the stadium? The original poster said "one of the most beautiful views in the world," which I noted was an exaggeration. I'm a mountain guy, obviously; hell the views from my deck are better than those from Lawrence, but even if you prefer sea or city scapes, there's plenty just as good and better.

It's a pretty view, don't get me wrong, I just chuckled at the extreme overselling of it.

I think you are letting your love of Montana color your rankings. There are a lot of beautiful mountains around the world, just in the neighboring states, not to mention throughout the Sierras just to the east of the Bay in California.

However, if you think about iconic ocean/harbor views, the kind that are used for establishing shots in movies: New York and the Statue of Liberty, Sydney Harbor and the Opera House, Yokohama on a clear day with Fuji in the background, the view of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge across the Bay is one of them (or the view of San Francisco across the Golden Gate Bridge from the Marin Headlands).

When the founders of the university chose the campus site, they chose the location exactly opposite the Goden Gate, the westernmost point in the continental United States, looking westward towards the Pacific, towards the future. It was exactly for the view. And when it is framed by a beautiful sunset (caused by refraction by the offshore fog, with fog rolling in, it is truly iconic.

Not sure why a Cal fan would object and tout the view of Hogback Mountain as "better." Glad you are happy in Montana though.
brevity
calbear80 said:

MTbear22 said:

Go!Bears said:

MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

MTbear22 said:

2. Top of Mt Washburn
3. Top of Mt Blackmore
4. Hidden Lake overlook
6. Top of Beartooth Pass
7. Avalanche Lake
8. Top of Mt Brown
calumnus said:

MTbear22 said:

Who said anything about from the stadium?

As a complete outsider, I would just like to point out that someone *literally moved the goalposts* to keep this argument going.
Oski87
Go!Bears said:

MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

They closed most of those turnouts. Put concrete barriers up for some reason.
Big C
Oski87 said:

Go!Bears said:

MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

They closed most of those turnouts. Put concrete barriers up for some reason.

Seemed like that happened during the pandemic, like they didn't want people "congregating". I would have bought it if they had just said there were bike accidents there, what with cars pulling in and out...
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.