Cal Game Day Info For ACC Fans

12,578 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by OBear073akaSMFan
smh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dlc83 said:

To my fellow ACC fans, by all means make the trip to Berkeley.

A group of us made the trip over the Labor Day weekend for the UNC game a few year ago.

Stayed in the City on Nob Hill - wow the weather was great giving us Southerners a welcome break from the smoldering heat.
Friday night had a great chill dinner
Saturday Ubered to and from the game. Lot's of restaurants and bars on the main street.
Take time to walk the campus on the way to the stadium. As you approach the stadium you'll pass the Greek houses throwing parties on the yard - making it almost feel like your campus.
After the game, enjoyed a post game party at the Graduate Hotel.
Sunday - visited Napa
Monday - toured the City

Wives love this trip!
thanks '83. clueless, this class of '73 senior googled your suggestion, finding more info here..
https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/oakgbgu-graduate-berkeley
muting more than 300 handles, turnaround is fair play
Gobears49
An excellent list!!!
Gobears49
Could be wrong, but I don't think a long time Berkeley favorite has been mentioned It is Yogurt Park, on Durant west of Telegraph, very close to the campus. Just read a review of it and it may have come down a bit from its more famous days, but still seens to be offer big portions. Check out there website.

Used to take my preteen son there after Cal basketball games. Those were the days.......
HoopDreams
This is an absolutely must do!

Traditions: The pregame rally is at Sproul Plaza, which is hosted by the Cal band, cheerleaders, and dance team. After you attend the rally, you can join them in the March to Victory up the hillside to the Stadium.

Starts 90 minutes before kickoff
HoopDreams
I'm sure Berkeley has a reputation for many visitors from other parts of the country, but a truly special and unique aspect is the focus on healthy, high quality vegetables and fruits in restaurants

Many restaurants serve locally grown vegetables and fruits, and since California is the heartland of much of the countries vegetable and fruits they are amazing

Of course there are other states that grow great crops around the country too (e.g. oranges come from California and Florida, Idaho is famous for potatoes, etc)

Some restaurants have some organic vegetables, and a few even grow some of their own vegetables and herbs at their restaurant

Some breakfast/brunch restaurants:

El Norte (Shattuck Ave):

Rick & Ann's (below the Claremont hotel)

Baker & Commons (College Ave) - limited breakfast menu but their poached eggs are wonderful and College Avenue is a true "Berkeley " street (and nicer than Telegraph Ave):

There are also some great bakeries such as Fourne Bakery (also on the street below the Claremont hotel next to Rick & Ann's restaurant)

Many great comfy shops in Berkeley too. Coffee shops were plentiful in Berkeley long before Starbucks started the explosion (Peet's coffee started in Berkeley as just one example)
Gobears49
I'm a pretty old Blue, a Cal yell leader, that hasn't attended a Cal sponsored lunch with my son since Cal played at Oregon with Rodgers at QB (a tough loss) and a very tough loss at USC with my parents and son with Rodgers, and at UCLA (another loss) when Cal lost under with Longshore.

Does Cal still sell a hosted lunch on campus? I was thinking a different type of lunch, a Berkeley campus lunch with one or two Top Dogs (two costs more), bought from Top Dog with a mark up, potato salad, a small carton of ice cream, plus a drink. A dream event for a kid would later include some football skill events (for a charge) on the grass below the stadium.

Most likely way too late to arrange for this season, but maybe next year. Go Bears!
Gobears49
Best if a famous college hot dog place is right next to the campus, like Top Dog is, not five miles from campus!
calbearsfan
https://calbears.com/sports/2023/8/23/cal-football-gameday-central.aspx

smh
even for long time bay area denizens, sorrry, dependable parking is worryisome
muting more than 300 handles, turnaround is fair play
OBear073akaSMFan
For the price Great Burgers. My son was on the same little league team with son Grant, who is now the president of Nations.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.