Cal Game Day Info For ACC Fans

12,565 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by OBear073akaSMFan
MTbear22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus said:

MTbear22 said:

calumnus said:

MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

MTbear22 said:

Go!Bears said:

MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

Go up to the Lawrence Hall of Science and see one of the most beautiful views in the world.

Go Bears!

Note to the OP: Either this is a massive exaggeration or the poster needs to get out more. Don't set your expectations that high.
one of... All depends on what you like, but if you catch it at sunset, I would love to see your list of 10 better. BTW, the turn-outs on Grizzly Peak don't count.
In the world? I could give you ten better within a couple hours of me (I live in Montana).

I would love to see your list.

Go Bears!

The local ones, in no particular order
1. Deck of Many Glacier Lodge
2. Top of Mt Washburn
3. Top of Mt Blackmore
4. Hidden Lake overlook
5. Upper Two Medicine Lake
6. Top of Beartooth Pass
7. Avalanche Lake
8. Top of Mt Brown
9. Top of Hogback Mountain
10. Salmon Lake in the Swan Valley in the fall when the larch are all gold

All seen from the University of Montana's football stadium?

I have great views of nature from my house too (more of the tropical Pacific island kind), but it is apples and oranges. As far as views of cities go, the view from Berkeley toward the Golden Gate is definitely world class.

Who said anything about from the stadium? The original poster said "one of the most beautiful views in the world," which I noted was an exaggeration. I'm a mountain guy, obviously; hell the views from my deck are better than those from Lawrence, but even if you prefer sea or city scapes, there's plenty just as good and better.

It's a pretty view, don't get me wrong, I just chuckled at the extreme overselling of it.

I think you are letting your love of Montana color your rankings. There are a lot of beautiful mountains around the world, just in the neighboring states, not to mention throughout the Sierras just to the east of the Bay in California.

However, if you think about iconic ocean/harbor views, the kind that are used for establishing shots in movies: New York and the Statue of Liberty, Sydney Harbor and the Opera House, Yokohama on a clear day with Fuji in the background, the view of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge across the Bay is one of them (or the view of San Francisco across the Golden Gate Bridge from the Marin Headlands).

When the founders of the university chose the campus site, they chose the location exactly opposite the Goden Gate, the westernmost point in the continental United States, looking westward towards the Pacific, towards the future. It was exactly for the view. And when it is framed by a beautiful sunset (caused by refraction by the offshore fog, with fog rolling in, it is truly iconic.

Not sure why a Cal fan would object and tout the view of Hogback Mountain as "better." Glad you are happy in Montana though.
This back and forth has gone on this long all because you seem offended that I disagreed with the statement that the view from Lawrence is "one of the best in the world." No idea why that ruffles your feathers so deeply. I said it's a pretty view, it's just not at all "one of the best in the world."

I didn't say there aren't gorgeous views in the Sierra. But again, I said "I could think of 10 better views just nearby", hence why I listed a few from Montana. I could have just as easily listed 10 better view in Wyoming, or British Columbia, or Alberta, or Washington state, or California for that matter.

If you like city scapes, the Bay Area is nice. If an opposing fan is in the area, sure, the view is worth seeing.

89Bear
OP, when you post something here there is a 95% chance your thread with be derailed.
Just FYI.
MTbear22
89Bear said:

OP, when you post something here there is a 95% chance your thread with be derailed.
Just FYI.
99%

And yep, never meant to, but somehow I accidentally ended up contributing.
ColoradoBear
MTbear22 said:

Go!Bears said:

MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

Go up to the Lawrence Hall of Science and see one of the most beautiful views in the world.

Go Bears!

Note to the OP: Either this is a massive exaggeration or the poster needs to get out more. Don't set your expectations that high.
one of... All depends on what you like, but if you catch it at sunset, I would love to see your list of 10 better. BTW, the turn-outs on Grizzly Peak don't count.
In the world? I could give you ten better within a couple hours of me (I live in Montana).

Come on you have to take a good portion of responsibility for derailing the thread. No one reading this is traveling to a football game in Montana or even asked about that. If you like it better there, it just doesn't matter for this topic. Are you familiar with the term 'thread crapping'?

The view of the golden gate is one of the most iconic and photographed in the world. So it's absolutely worth checking out if one is visiting. The views from the east side of the stadium (last row, stadium club, Goldman plaza, etc) are great too, just a bit lower than the LHS. And the walk through central campus by the campanile are perfectly lined up with the golden gate. Pretty cool to think about what it looked with no bridge when John Galen Howard laid the campus out over a century ago.
MTbear22
ColoradoBear said:

MTbear22 said:

Go!Bears said:

MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

Come on you have to take a good portion of responsibility for derailing the thread. No one reading this is traveling to a football game in Montana or even asked about that. If you like it better there, it just doesn't matter for this topic. Are you familiar with the term 'thread crapping'?

The view of the golden gate is one of the most iconic and photographed in the world. So it's absolutely worth checking out if one is visiting. The views from the east side of the stadium (last row, stadium club, Goldman plaza, etc) are great too, just a bit lower than the LHS. And the walk through central campus by the campanile are perfectly lined up with the golden gate. Pretty cool to think about what it looked with no bridge when John Galen Howard laid the campus out over a century ago.
I made a simple, toss-away, one line statement, and multiple people (including you?) are so worked up and offended by it that you write paragraphs in response. Did you not read my last message where I literally admitted to accidentally contributing to the derail? I have said multiple times now the view is nice, yet some of you are still worked into a tizzy. Are you familiar with the term 'oversensitive'?
MTbear22
TexanMark said:

I have a favor. I'm writing an article rating Cuse's away game road trips this year. I do it annually.

Here is a link to last year's article:

https://www.nunesmagician.com/2023/8/7/23798871/syracuse-orange-football-texanmarks-2023-road-trip-guide

Can you help me with suggestions for visiting fans?

Game day parking for visiting fans. Tailgating be allowed is a huge plus. Both officially and unofficial spots are requested.

Things to do near the stadium on game day

Restaurants in Berkeley (both fancy and casual)
Note: Sad to hear about Spenger's.

Special attractions in the East Bay

Tips on getting to the game by BART and Car.

Any nearby motels offer game day shuttles?

Finally any game traditions or special stadium foods we need to try?

Thanks
Mark, everyone else has already listed a lot of the good things to do, but just to add a bit:
- For the outdoorsy, there are a lot of regional parks nearby, and plenty of good trails that vary in length, elevation, and difficulty; an app like AllTrails could help you quickly filter via desire. I'd recommend going early in the day as they get crowded real fast
- While others have mentioned great restaurants and bars, I also think some of the best times will be had in approaching people at tailgates; you'll find the vast majority are friendly and welcoming, so long as you can take a little razzing
- In case someone hasn't said it yet, give yourself waaaaaay more time than you think you need if you're going to try to park anywhere within a several mile radius (I'd take BART)
Cal2005
Some advice on a day-trip to San Francisco for visitors:

It's (usually) a 25 minute BART ride between Downtown Berkeley BART to Embarcadero BART Station on the San Francisco waterfront. Totally doable and fun. We just did the following itinerary with relatives visiting from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and they loved it:

• BART to Embarcadero Station
  • Coffee/breakfast at Ferry Building
  • Waterfront ride on the historic F-Line streetcar to Pier 39
  • Visit Pier 39. Touristy as it gets. Embrace the shlock, or just take in the great views of the bay and enjoy watching the antics of the sea lion colony.
  • Waterfront walk to Fisherman's Wharf. Checkout the historic Musee Mecanique at Pier 45 for some fun very-old-school arcade action. If you are hankering for fresh seafood, Scoma's out on the piers north of the main drag (Jefferson Street) is a classic, old-school place that is still family-owned and beloved by both tourists and locals.
  • For a post-lunch pick-me-up, grab an Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista or dessert at Ghiradelli Square.
  • Right in front of the Buena Vista, hop on the cable car and ride it to the free Cable Car Museum. Check out the cool museum displays and go underground to see the actual cables that pull the cars in action.
  • Walk downhill from the Cable Car Museum to Chinatown. If you want to see the "real" Chinatown, walk for a bit along Stockton Street with all the Chinese grocery stores and markets. Then walk along the various alleyways. Stop by the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory to get a free fresh fortune cookie sample.
  • From Chinatown--it's chose your own adventure. Wander over to the adjacent neighborhood of North Beach for Italian food or drink at local watering hole. Take the new Muni subway from Chinatown to points south like Mission Bay where the Giants ballpark and Warriors Arena are located. Or if you're tired, just take the new subway line from Chinatown to Union Square and use the underground pedestrian tunnel to walk to the Powell Street BART station, and ride BART back to your hotel.

There's plenty more to see in San Francisco (Golden Gate Park and the Presidio are great) but the itinerary above gives you a taste of many of the City's most iconic neighborhoods without needing a car.

And re. hotels and where to stay: Union Square is one of the main hotel zones for tourists in the Bay Area. Unfortunately, it's been hit hard the pandemic accelerating the shift to online retail and the spillover effects of homelessness/drug-use in the adjacent Tenderloin. I personally don't feel unsafe in Union Square, it's just a bummer to see what was once a vibrant, bustling, big city shopping district feel empty, but everyone is going to have their own thresholds for comfort and safety.

Hope that's helpful!
Anarchistbear
The demise of San Francisco is overblown

The tenderloin sucks as it always has, downtown retail is hurting but the neighborhoods have been more re-vitalized. Try and get a reservation at a good restaurant!

A walk in the Presidio is a must.

Golden One
75bear said:

Yeah, In-N-Out > Nation's for a late night burger fix, and it's much more of a California icon.

I like In-N-Out and go there 2 to 3 times a week; but it's not in the same league as Nation's. Nation's is simply the best hamburger joint around. Plus it's owned by Cal grad Dale Power. And Nation's has outstanding pies also.
HearstMining
MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

MTbear22 said:

Go!Bears said:

MTbear22 said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

I would love to see your list.

Go Bears!

The local ones, in no particular order
1. Deck of Many Glacier Lodge
2. Top of Mt Washburn
3. Top of Mt Blackmore
4. Hidden Lake overlook
5. Upper Two Medicine Lake
6. Top of Beartooth Pass
7. Avalanche Lake
8. Top of Mt Brown
9. Top of Hogback Mountain
10. Salmon Lake in the Swan Valley in the fall when the larch are all gold
No doubt all these views are spectacular, but this is what Colorado80 and the mighty Tower of Power band are talking about:
KoreAmBear
Golden One said:

75bear said:

Yeah, In-N-Out > Nation's for a late night burger fix, and it's much more of a California icon.

I like In-N-Out and go there 2 to 3 times a week; but it's not in the same league as Nation's. Nation's is simply the best hamburger joint around. Plus it's owned by Cal grad Dale Power. And Nation's has outstanding pies also.
I love Nation's and it's just a very welcoming, easy place for some comfort food esp late at night - I love that they have breakfast all day too.
philbert
SBGold said:

Bearly Clad said:

SBGold said:

Fisherman's Wharf and Chinatown are just kitschy hangouts, not the place to spend time in.

Be prepared for the long uphill walk from BART to the stadium. At least coming back it's downhill
I definitely agree but Fisherman's Wharf is still a pretty area to go walk down by the water. I just wouldn't spend any money there at the stupid **** like the Madame Tousseauds, the goofy cart tours, the expensive restaurants, etc. But you can still find some good booths that serve a reasonably priced bread bowl clam chowder and there's some other stuff. I wouldn't make a day of it but walking around for a little bit is fine.

Chinatown is still cool to walk through even though it's a tourist trap. The shops are always fun just to look through and window shop. Some really good bars there too and they do the cold plate ice cream that takes forever to make but it's very good. And if you go to the dive restaurants or know mandarin (or have a friend who does) you can find some of the best undiscovered food in the area
Fair enough on Chinatown. Golden Gate Bakery is great for dan tat, I'll give you that
Assuming they happen to be open when you are there. They do not have regular hours and they take your order at the door (no going inside).
zorbarick
The suggested day trip itinerary to San Francisco sounds like a great plan for someone visiting the area. Sure, SF has problems these days - what big city doesn't - but if I was traveling across the country for a game and could swing it, a day very might like the one described is a great idea. I'd probably plan for dim sum as part of it, and I still really like Yank Sing.

And while I know this has been mentioned at least once above, I wanted to give another shout out to Zachary's for my favorite pizza in the world. I know lots of people from Chicago and New York shudder at the thought, but (1) I love stuffed pizza, and (2) while I'm not from Chicago, I've had both Giordano's and Lou Malnatti's and while I loved both, I would still take Zachary's over them every day. To me, a football weekend always feels a bit incomplete without a stroll down College and a stuffed spinach mushroom (or pepperoni mushroom depending on mood).
KoreAmBear
zorbarick said:

The suggested day trip itinerary to San Francisco sounds like a great plan for someone visiting the area. Sure, SF has problems these days - what big city doesn't - but if I was traveling across the country for a game and could swing it, a day very might like the one described is a great idea. I'd probably plan for dim sum as part of it, and I still really like Yank Sing.

And while I know this has been mentioned at least once above, I wanted to give another shout out to Zachary's for my favorite pizza in the world. I know lots of people from Chicago and New York shudder at the thought, but (1) I love stuffed pizza, and (2) while I'm not from Chicago, I've had both Giordano's and Lou Malnatti's and while I loved both, I would still take Zachary's over them every day. To me, a football weekend always feels a bit incomplete without a stroll down College and a stuffed spinach mushroom (or pepperoni mushroom depending on mood).
Seconded on Zachary's. I've had Giordano's, Gino's East and Paxti's. Zachary's is #1 in my book.
scibear
Zachary's is worth a special trip. I think someone coming from New York should visit San Francisco. The crime narrative is really overdone. Don't be scared away, stay in Pac Heights and go to a great restaurant.
calumnus
zorbarick said:

No mention of North Beach and pizza can leave out 13 time World Pizza Champion:
Tony's Pizza Napoletana
https://tonyspizzanapoletana.com/
Anarchistbear
I don't know if Syracuse pizza is any good but there are a dozen pizzas in any New York City dumpster that are better than Zachary's
scibear
You know what they say about opinions
Anarchistbear
scibear said:

You know what they say about opinions

Yup, why I didn't quote you
RedlessWardrobe
zorbarick said:

Zorbarick, didn't you learn anything from the infamous "Cal vs. Montana Scenic View Controversy"? Don't go there!
sycasey
Probably the biggest thing to know is that Cal Memorial is unlike most other college stadiums, in that it's sitting in the middle of a fairly crowded urban area and not on its own dedicated land with a large parking lot around it. You need to plan accordingly. Use public transit and walk through some city streets to get there. Visit local bars and restaurants rather than planning to tailgate pre or post-game. It's not unlike visiting Wrigley Field or Fenway Park or something.
philbert
this pizza debate reminds me of this jon stewart rant. (I take no sides)

SonomanA1
Don't forget Tailgate Town. I go there before each game.

Tailgate Town at Maxwell Family Field is the official pregame tailgate location for every Cal home football game. Tailgate Town opens three hours prior to kickoff on Maxwell Family Field, adjacent to the north entrance of California Memorial Stadium. Admission is free for all fans and feature a beer garden and concessions, kids zone with inflatables, cornhole, picnic-style seating, sponsor activations, and more!
minkjr
I'd 100% recommend staying in SF and BARTing to the game. It is one of the great cities of the world and all the recent visitors I have hosted have been blown away by how it is the opposite of the media spin. Going to a game in Berkeley followed by a great meal in SF is about as good as it gets IMO.
95bears
The other "tailgating" option is to visit our historic Faculty Club and Faculty Glade. It's both a club for academics and also an on-campus hotel for donors and visiting profs.

Inside the club there is a cafeteria serving food, 2-3 bars, and games from around the country shown on projection TVs. It's another Julia Morgan building that captures Berkeley perfectly, and you can take your beers outside to the beautfiul glade where sometimes various groups are having get-togethers. It's very close to the stadium, so much so that a number of people spend the first quarter watching the game there before walking over. There's also "real" tailgating on campus next to this area by a handful of souls lucky enough to have gotten on-campus parking passes, and they're usually welcoming to visiting fans.

I'd encourage getting to the stadium at least 30 minutes early and just hanging out on the west side on the Goldman plaza---- it's expansive and overlooks the bay serving beer and there are merch tents. On that note beer is served until halftime and the lines get long during a game, so beware.
zorbarick
RedlessWardrobe said:

zorbarick said:

Zorbarick, didn't you learn anything from the infamous "Cal vs. Montana Scenic View Controversy"? Don't go there!
That's funny. And I had just read through that entire discussion before posting. Clearly I'm a slow learner.
SLTX Bear
Agree with most of what's been stated here. A few other points:
Bars/breweries in Berkeley - Tap Haus and Henry's are some local favorites. I personally like Raleigh's. For pure breweries,brewpubs, I have always been a fan of Triple Rock and Jupiter. Also in Berkeley but not walking distance is another of my faves Fieldwork.

Stadium: Note the east side and south east end zone section (where the visitors seating is) does not have a multi level concourse and is basically on the hill meaning you have to walk down stairs to your seat (as many as 60 rows, and all the way back up to get out. There are not permanent restroom facilities on that side of the stadium and only porta potties. Food options are also quite limited to temporary food stands and you will be squeezing into lines with all the student body. The west side is your best bet if comfort and accessibility are issues for you. Some opposing fans, not really seeing anything other than the east side, have left thinking it was a janky facility.

Greater Bay Area: if you are at all into wine, the wine country stuff in Napa and Sonoma really should be experienced if you can swing it. It will probably be a highlight of the trip for some of the ladies who might care less about the game. Beautiful country out there. Also Oracle Park (home of the SF Giants). This won't come into play for the Syracuse game but if some ACC opponents in the future actually are lucky enough to get a late Sept game, it really is an amazing venue to watch a baseball game.
GoCal80
Anarchistbear said:

I don't know if Syracuse pizza is any good but there are a dozen pizzas in any New York City dumpster that are better than Zachary's
There are a bunch of new pizza places in Berkeley that are quite good. My new favorite is Pizzeria da Laura on Shattuck. Its worth checking out the Cheeseboard too for great pizza and a real Berkeley experience.
Anarchistbear
I'll have to try Laura

Passione Emporio on 5th also brings a good off the boat vibe
Umunhum
Although I haven't had it in over 40 years, Zachary's pizza was my absolute favorite when I was a student. One piece of advice, though, learned through personal experience: Never try to sell two-day old cold leftover Zachary's pizza as a great Valentine's Day gift when you forget to buy a gift for your girlfriend.
Big C

Well, unless you have a rare campus parking pass, you can't literally "tailgate", but you can definitely do "picnic tailgating" on campus... and hundreds of small groups do this. The prime areas work their way north, south and west from the Campanile. If you're creative, you can get a folding table or two there (substitute for the "tailgate"). Hint: if you leave a table, folded up and stowed away on campus, on a Saturday, 99% chance it will still be there after the game. [Edit: Out-of-towner will be unlikely to have a table, but there are still plenty of places to lay out a spread.]

As for San Francisco, I would highly recommend a bay cruise. Pro tip: just take a round-trip ferry somewhere, like to Angel Island. The weather in the fall is usually as good as can be.

Goldengate Park and Ocean Beach!

Now, somebody here please take issue with one of my points above, because the little back-and-forths have been outstanding!
Cal88
Looks authentic, and nice dessert menu

https://www.passionebrands.com/berkeley-emporio
wifeisafurd
zorbarick said:

In any discussion about pleasure traveling to San Francisco area you need to report on what travelers would want to know prior to visiting. Even travel guides like Fodor's now have long discussions about San Francisco's crime, homelessness, etc. The suggestion that San Francisco is just like other big urban areas for travelers is hard to swallow. It's no secret that San Francisco has lagged behind other major U.S. cities in terms of its tourism comeback, but the scope of that lag remains startling. Most U.S. urban markets have been seeing positive increased hotel performance from pre-pandemic numbers. Data from various hotel analytic firms indicate San Francisco's recovery is way below the largest 25 urban areas. For example, STR indicates that 2023 annual RevPAR in the San Francisco market was down around 20% over the same period in 2019, while occupancy an average daily rate fell 14%, the worse than any major US city. Those declines stand in stark contrast to performances in other gateway cities which have seen tourism growth due in part to remaining post pandemic travel demand, for example, New York's May RevPAR is up 7.5% for the same period.

San Francisco's problems with homelessness, overt drug use, store closures, deserted streets and petty crime are the reasons tourism is down, as has been widely reported in the media. It is so bad, the Federal government advised its workers recently to stay at home due to pervasive crime near the Federal building. Living in a San Francisco suburban neighborhood you don't see these issues as much. The reason most of the media tends focus on those areas is because they are the areas leisure traveling occurs and most hotels are located, like Union Square, Nob Hill and the Financial District.

In the areas most pleasure travelers go, storefronts mostly are vacant, including what was the prime shopping area of Union Square. Streets are empty at night except for the homeless, and no doubt your doorman will discourage from walking and advise using Uber or a Cab. And don't take your rental car areas of the City that tourists typically visit, because rental cars are the most targeted type of vehicle (tourists leave more valuables in their car). The highest area for break-ins is tourist friendly North Beach (where there is wonderful Italian food).

We saw it first hand, and no way can I get my wife to stay in San Francisco again. I don't think she is alone. No one I know who has been to San Francisco recently is willing to return. Most of the increase in hotel vacancy rate occurs on the weekends, when tourists fill rooms.

The demise of San Francisco will not occur because tourists stop coming. Large parts of San Francisco are considered perfectly safe. It seems to have an adaptable economy. In fact, for people who are not bothered by the challenges in tourist areas, hotel prices are incredibly affordable right now, when compared to similar hotels if you can find them, in the East Bay (e.g., I priced out the iconic Nob Hill Fairmont to be 20% of the cost of the cost of the Claremont Fairmont. Obviously, there are reasons for the price variance. If you've wanted a luxury hotel getaway at cut rate prices in a world-class city, stay in San Francisco and take in a game in Berkeley. Or plan a day trip as has been suggested.

BGolden
I looked up the 2024 Syracuse schedule. That's a pretty nice road schedule and the home schedule is very favorable.

If you're looking to pull off the freeway into a sea of asphalt and tailgating with 10,000 other vehicles, sadly,
Cal does not offer that experience. However, the stadium, bars and restaurants are all near campus for a good game day experience. As mentioned by others, Maxwell Field and Faculty glade are both near the stadium.

A nice option is a gathering on campus, there are plenty of great spots to sit and enjoy the atmosphere (it is a beautiful campus).

In regards to views, if you get a chance, go up in The Campanile (the clock tower) on campus. Decide for yourself whether it's a decent view.

TexanMark
Guys...thanks for all the inputs. I have some edits to do now. LOL

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.