Cal Game Day Info For ACC Fans

12,572 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by OBear073akaSMFan
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Second Muir Woods for a good stroll through old growth redwoods. Also in Marin, one of my favorite hikes in the world is Steep Ravine, from the Pan Toll Ranger Station down to Stinson Beach. My recommendation is to park at Stinson (a State Beach) and follow the well-marked trail up the mountain, with towering redwoods, ferns, boulders, waterfalls, bridges, stairs and even a ladder, then back down again the same way or cross the road at Pan Toll to take another trail down, not as great but with more scenic views of the Pacific. Once back at Stinson, you can use the public showers then walk into the town of Stinson Beach for a well deserved post-hike meal and beverages.
HoopDreams
No. 1 hotel to stay in is the Claremont resort but it's pricy and probably gets booked well in advance of game day.

Tennis courts, large pool and fitness center with a great view.

Right next to the hotel is a good restaurant (Rick & Ann's), bakery and coffee shop. Can walk to the stadium from hotel but it's pretty far (1.4 miles, 30 minute walk)

01Bear
Bearly Clad said:

And if you go to the dive restaurants or know mandarin (or have a friend who does) you can find some of the best undiscovered food in the area

Has Chinatown changed that much? When I frequented it 20+ years ago, the lingua franca was Cantonese. It's sad that Mandarin is displacing Cantonese, even in the US.
Cal88
BGolden said:

I looked up the 2024 Syracuse schedule. That's a pretty nice road schedule and the home schedule is very favorable.

If you're looking to pull off the freeway into a sea of asphalt and tailgating with 10,000 other vehicles, sadly,
Cal does not offer that experience. However, the stadium, bars and restaurants are all near campus for a good game day experience. As mentioned by others, Maxwell Field and Faculty glade are both near the stadium.

A nice option is a gathering on campus, there are plenty of great spots to sit and enjoy the atmosphere (it is a beautiful campus).

In regards to views, if you get a chance, go up in The Campanile (the clock tower) on campus. Decide for yourself whether it's a decent view.

Usually, people who take in the view from the top of the Campanile only yearn for the magnificent vistas of Montana.
bipolarbear
calbear80 said:

Go up to the Lawrence Hall of Science and see one of the most beautiful views in the world.

Cal88
calumnus said:

Second Muir Woods for a good stroll through old growth redwoods. Also in Marin, one of my favorite hikes in the world is Steep Ravine, from the Pan Toll Ranger Station down to Stinson Beach. My recommendation is to park at Stinson (a State Beach) and follow the well-marked trail up the mountain, with towering redwoods, ferns, boulders, waterfalls, bridges, stairs and even a ladder, then back down again the same way or cross the road at Pan Toll to take another trail down, not as great but with more scenic views of the Pacific. Once back at Stinson, you can use the public showers then walk into the town of Stinson Beach for a well deserved post-hike meal and beverages.

Muir Woods has great hiking trails, for an out of town visitor the old growth redwoods there are a phenomenal sight.

I recommend the Pelican Inn nearby for a drink or dinner afterwards, it's an authentic old English Tudor cottage inn with a nice pub.

The Lands End trail in Presidio/GG Park in SF, right across the Golden Gate, is a great trail with gorgeous vistas over the bay and GG:

https://liveandlethike.com/2018/02/10/coastal-trail-lands-end-section-including-mile-rock-beach-golden-gate-national-recreation-area-ca/

Sonoma wine country is a great destination for a sunday afternoon wineries trip, a bit less crowded than the main Napa Valley trail, also a bit cooler weather and a nice historic town center to finish your wineries run.

wifeisafurd
Cal88 said:

calumnus said:

Muir Woods has great hiking trails, for an out of town visitor the old growth redwoods there are a phenomenal sight.

I recommend the Pelican Inn nearby for a drink or dinner afterwards, it's an authentic old English Tudor cottage inn with a nice pub.

The Lands End trail in Presidio/GG Park in SF, right across the Golden Gate, is a great trail with gorgeous vistas over the bay and GG:

https://liveandlethike.com/2018/02/10/coastal-trail-lands-end-section-including-mile-rock-beach-golden-gate-national-recreation-area-ca/

Sonoma wine country is a great destination for a sunday afternoon wineries trip, a bit less crowded than the main Napa Valley trail, also a bit cooler weather and a nice historic town center to finish your wineries run.

This is so much of a part of our Cal trips. Downtown Sonoma really is an understated gem, and each year we try to hit the Presidio and Muir Woods trails. Great stuff '88. Going to try the Pelican Inn!
95bears
Mods, maybe pin this thread for visiting ACC teams?
Anarchistbear
Cal88 said:

BGolden said:

I looked up the 2024 Syracuse schedule. That's a pretty nice road schedule and the home schedule is very favorable.

If you're looking to pull off the freeway into a sea of asphalt and tailgating with 10,000 other vehicles, sadly,
Cal does not offer that experience. However, the stadium, bars and restaurants are all near campus for a good game day experience. As mentioned by others, Maxwell Field and Faculty glade are both near the stadium.

A nice option is a gathering on campus, there are plenty of great spots to sit and enjoy the atmosphere (it is a beautiful campus).

In regards to views, if you get a chance, go up in The Campanile (the clock tower) on campus. Decide for yourself whether it's a decent view.

Usually, people who take in the view from the top of the Campanile only yearn for the magnificent vistas of Montana.

You can see Montana on a clear day and- believe me- it's like Zachary's Pizza. Overrated
rkt88edmo
KoreAmBear said:

. Btw, if you like seafood and esp. oysters, what I consider the best food experience in the Bay for me is still Swan Oyster Depot, essentially an American sushi place, freshest seafood and delectable. The SOD counter (limited to like 20 patrons at a time) is a SF treasure and they also have beer on tap (Anchor Steam used to go really well with the Dungeness crab cocktail but Anchor shut down) Anthony Bourdain swore by it. You have to go early to avoid the long lines. Look it up.

Plenty more stuff to go over, but I'll let others fill in. Have fun!

Just FYI Swan Oyster depot (I agree it's worth it) often has a line at the door prior to opening, and getting a seat especially with a larger party can be quite a wait.

One of my favorite moves is letting the non-day drinkers stand in line for SOD while I take the day drinkers for a brew at the Cinch Saloon. One of the last of the Polk Gulch gay bars and a very interesting piece of San Francisco gay history. Warning - It has some decor that may be startling.
SonomanA1
I thought I would add my 2 cents for what it is worth.

If someone is serious about seeing coastal redwoods and wants to see ones that exceed 350' in height without crowds, the closest place I would go is Montgomery Woods west of Ukiah. Otherwise, I would go behind the Redwood Curtain to Humboldt and Del Norte Counties starting with a drive along the Avenue of the Giants.

The Golden Gate is not the westernmost point in the continental United States though it is a nice view from Berkeley. The westernmost point is on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. The westernmost point in California is Cape Mendocino along the Lost Coast. That is also the southern end of the Cascadia Subduction Zone. When that ruptures, it can and has produced 9.0 magnitude earthquakes.
calumnus
One piece of advice for East Coast visitors: the weather in the Bay Area varies wildly based on location and time of day, especially earlier in the season. It can be 100 in Walnut Creek, 75 in Berkeley, 65 in San Francisco Embarcadero and 55 at the ocean. Same with day and night. And while a visitor from Syracuse, NY might not think 55 is very cold, think foggy, windy and damp, cold if you are in shorts and a T-shirt. The takeaway being, dress in layers, bring a light jacket or sweatshirt with you even if it is currently warm and sunny. For November, it coukd very well be gray and raining.
calumnus
SonomanA1 said:

I thought I would add my 2 cents for what it is worth.

If someone is serious about seeing coastal redwoods and wants to see ones that exceed 350' in height without crowds, the closest place I would go is Montgomery Woods west of Ukiah. Otherwise, I would go behind the Redwood Curtain to Humboldt and Del Norte Counties starting with a drive along the Avenue of the Giants.

The Golden Gate is not the westernmost point in the continental United States though it is a nice view from Berkeley. The westernmost point is on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. The westernmost point in California is Cape Mendocino along the Lost Coast. That is also the southern end of the Cascadia Subduction Zone. When that ruptures, it can and has produced 9.0 magnitude earthquakes.

Yes, I misstated on "westernmost." It is the newest to Hawaii (and Cal is the nearest football school to Hawaii) but that is a point for a different thread.
Anarchistbear
Another great day trip is Pt Reyes. Hike the Tomales Point Trail, ocean on one side, bay on the other through the Thule Elk Preserve ( readily seen). Eat oysters at Saltwater Oyster Depot in Inverness
calumnus
The drive down Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) to Carmel, Monterey and Big Sur is another great day trip. My favorites are the view of the waterfall into the ocean at Julia Pfeiffer State Park and stopping for food and drinks at Nepenthe.

harebear
As for the San Francisco discussion, here's a couple from Europe who thoroughly enjoyed their trip ("I had the best 4 days ever. And it's probably one of the best cities I've been to, and I'm from Europe and have been to pretty much everywhere here, as well as NYC and San Diego"):
https://www.reddit.com/r/sanfrancisco/comments/1czm8fr/did_i_just_get_lucky_when_visiting_san_francisco/

There should also be a lot of suggestions for visiting fans in some of the Auburn threads on this board from when they visited here last September. And from social media I saw that some of them visited a wide swath of the greater Bay Area including Monterey/Carmel, Santa Cruz, Napa and San Francisco.
bipolarbear
calumnus said:

One piece of advice for East Coast visitors: the weather in the Bay Area varies wildly based on location and time of day, especially earlier in the season. It can be 100 in Walnut Creek, 75 in Berkeley, 65 in San Francisco Embarcadero and 55 at the ocean. Same with day and night. And while a visitor from Syracuse, NY might not think 55 is very cold, think foggy, windy and damp, cold if you are in shorts and a T-shirt. The takeaway being, dress in layers, bring a light jacket or sweatshirt with you even if it is currently warm and sunny. For November, it coukd very well be gray and raining.
If you dress in shorts for a seemingly mild late afternoon/early evening game you may be forced to buy a $75. Cal sweatshirt in the stadium concourse to avoid freezing later in the game as has happened to me.
calumnus
harebear said:

As for the San Francisco discussion, here's a couple from Europe who thoroughly enjoyed their trip ("I had the best 4 days ever. And it's probably one of the best cities I've been to, and I'm from Europe and have been to pretty much everywhere here, as well as NYC and San Diego"):
https://www.reddit.com/r/sanfrancisco/comments/1czm8fr/did_i_just_get_lucky_when_visiting_san_francisco/

There should also be a lot of suggestions for visiting fans in some of the Auburn threads on this board from when they visited here last September. And from social media I saw that some of them visited a wide swath of the greater Bay Area including Monterey/Carmel, Santa Cruz, Napa and San Francisco.

They mentioned my favorite "urban hike": Ferry Building to the Filbert Steps from around Levi Plaza up to Coit Tower (great views and 1930s Diego Rivera mural inside), then down into North Beach for coffee/wine/cocktails Italian food (if just a slice of Tony's Pizza Napoletana (13 Time World Pizza Champ at the competition in Naples). Maybe walk down to Fisherman's Wharf, Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista, or check out City Lights Bookstore (50s Beatniks Kerouac and Ginsberg fame). Can take the Cable Car back to Powell and Market.
TexanMark
Update

The article is expected to come out in a week or so. I'll post a link in the thread when it does.

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Cal finished a respectable 4th place. All 5 away games (from a Cuse perspective) were tightly bunched together in scoring. UNLV came in first and Boston College was last.
calumnus
TexanMark said:

Update

The article is expected to come out in a week or so. I'll post a link in the thread when it does.

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Cal finished a respectable 4th place. All 5 away games (from a Cuse perspective) were tightly bunched together in scoring. UNLV came in first and Boston College was last.

So the ranking is:
1. Vegas
2. Pittsburg
3. Raleigh
4. San Francisco Bay Area
5. Boston
?
TexanMark
NCSt was 2nd, Pitt 3rd

I have a handful of ranking inputs to come up with the list.
You'll see when the article is released.
Totally subjective on my part but I factor in some objective facts to help me.
calumnus
TexanMark said:

NCSt was 2nd, Pitt 3rd

We play at Pitt and Wake this year so it will be interesting for many of our fans to read.
wifeisafurd
calumnus said:

TexanMark said:

NCSt was 2nd, Pitt 3rd

We play at Pitt and Wake this year so it will be interesting for many of our to read.
Pitt is a small crowd in a NFL stadium, and if you go look at the many different rankings for the ACC, usually comes out near the bottom. Conversely, the city of Pittsburgh is thought to be great place to visit. So depends on why you travel.

Wake has an older, smaller stadium, reflecting on Wake being an older, incredibly small college for the wealthy that is full of tradition surrounding football day. The stadium tends to get good reviews. Wake is not that near to Raleigh, and there are so many great places to visit near or on Wake (Wake has a mansion on campus built by a tobacco heir that serves as a very cool hotel) such as Asheville, I'm not sure why you stay in Raleigh. But the Wake football experience is punching above its weight class on most ACC road travel reviews.

I'm guessing why the Bay Area came in 4th is current narrative about crime and high cost. Five years ago (pre-Covid) I would have bet that the Bay Area would have given Vegas a good challenge for top spot.
RaidersBear24
For visiting fans, Top Dog and Kasper's/Caspers is a must do
calumnus
wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

TexanMark said:

NCSt was 2nd, Pitt 3rd

We play at Pitt and Wake this year so it will be interesting for many of our to read.
Pitt is a small crowd in a NFL stadium, and if you go look at the many different rankings for the ACC, usually comes out near the bottom. Conversely, the city of Pittsburgh is thought to be great place to visit. So depends on why you travel.

Wake has an older, smaller stadium, reflecting on Wake being an older, incredibly small college for the wealthy that is full of tradition surrounding football day. The stadium tends to get good reviews. Wake is not that near to Raleigh, and there are so many great places to visit near or on Wake (Wake has a mansion on campus built by a tobacco heir that serves as a very cool hotel) such as Asheville, I'm not sure why you stay in Raleigh. But the Wake football experience is punching above its weight class on most ACC road travel reviews.

I'm guessing why the Bay Area came in 4th is current narrative about crime and high cost. Five years ago (pre-Covid) I would have bet that the Bay Area would have given Vegas a good challenge for top spot.

My wife and I spent a glorious day in Berkeley yesterday (south campus, downtown, Gourmet Ghetto, West Berkeley….) and it is nicer than it has ever been.
SLTX Bear
calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

TexanMark said:

NCSt was 2nd, Pitt 3rd

My wife and I spent a glorious day in Berkeley yesterday (south campus, downtown, Gourmet Ghetto, West Berkeley….) and it is nicer than it has ever been.

Have they cleaned up the tent village by the university off ramp by chance? Thing was out of control last I saw but it has been I while.
TexanMark
A few quick hitters

Wake Forest is one of the easiest spots to tailgate. They have cash lots literally across the street from the stadium. One of my favorite games to set up a tailgate.

FSU is actually very easy if you don't mind a walk. The basketball arena (Tucker Civic Center) is a little less than a mile but the walk is very easy. Cash lot with a grocery store a block away. Getting to FSU is another story. I suggest flying a nonstop to Orlando or Tampa and spending a few days there and driving to the game and spending 1 night close to Tally.

SMU never been there. They have a robust tailgate scene. Probably easiest to walk into the tailgate village with a 12 pack of beer or wine and join in with some well heeled SMU fans.
Gobears49
One of these days Cal will take me up on my offer to donate $50,000 to the university to build a statue of Cal football announced Joe Starkey (for 48 years) with a built in video of The Play (the greatest sports play in history. and always will be), including iira aftermath, iStarkey's rant after it was ruied to be a touchdown). The stature and the electronic viewing equipment should be krpy inside the stadium and stored overnight in a locked room to avoid it being stolen or damaged by Stanford. Would love to talk to chancellor Rich Lyons about it. I have read he was at The Play game in 1982.
Gobears49
The Play -- 1982 There are better tapes of it.

chalcidbear
Well, this is embarrassing. I hangout on the Bears Insider forum, and hadn't visited Football Growls for years. Recently, I did basically the same thing you did - putting together an intro sheet for the ACCers. I was just trying to figure out how to get it online, when I spotted this series of postings. So let me put in what I came up with, assisted by others from the BearsInsider: I also plan on sending this out to the message boards of the ACCers, expecially Miami, NC State and Syracuse, since they will be visiting this season.

Visiting Memorial Stadium? Helpful suggestions
By Cal football fans

This page is for folks attending football games at Memorial Stadium (on Gayley Road, just east of the campus), in Berkeley for the first time. Answers come from the collective knowledge/insight/experiences of Cal fans from BearInsider.com, and do not reflect the official authority of the University of California (so don't bother trying to sue anyone). Berkeley is in Alameda County, part of the "east Bay" in the San Francisco Bay Area. Academically, we are known as the University of California, Berkeley (or U.C. Berkeley), but for the sporting world we are properly called either "California" or "Cal" (but NOT "Cal Berkeley"). Our colors are Blue and Gold (remarkably similar to those of West Virginia). Previously, our two greatest football rivalries were against the only two private schools in the PAC-12: USC (aka: U$C, University of Spoiled Children) and Stanford (aka: Stanfurd, Stanfraud), both of whom sported red colors, so that color is anathema to us.

I. Flying In
Oakland International is the airport closest to Berkeley, and without traffic jams, it is about a 30 minute drive from campus. But give yourself 45 minutes to be on the safe side, or even longer if it is commute time. There is also a shuttle from the airport to the Coliseum/Airport BART Station (see below for a link to the BART website).
San Francisco International is actually 5 miles south of San Francisco, and has a greater number of airlines serving it, but driving time to Berkeley is an hour, MINIMUM, (unless you are coming in on a red-eye at 3am, in which case you can probably make it in 40 minutes), but at commute time figure 2 hours (but BART service extends to the airport!). If you are staying overnight in San Francisco, this is the most convenient airport, and there are lots of options available for traveling from the airport to downtown SF. San Francisco is separated from Berkeley by the San Francisco Bay, which can be crossed by auto (Bay Bridge toll is $7.00 going west into SF, free going east towards Berkeley, and cars are charged using FasTrak: (San Francisco Oakland Bridge - FasTrak (bayareafastrak.org). To avoid the worry about traffic or parking, BART is a good alternative (see below) there is also ferry service between the City and East Bay, but it is set up to handle commuters, and unlikely to provide decent service on a Saturday.
Your third alternative is San Jose International. San Jose is served by a wide variety of airlines, but is 50 miles south of Berkeley a good hour usually, or 1.5-2 hours during commute times. However, Santa Clara Valley's VTA (Valley Transportation Authority) provides a connection to the BART station at Berryessa Station (on the green and orange lines Routes | VTA).
A fourth alternative is to fly into Sacramento Airport (about 60-70 miles northeast of Berkeley). You'll definitely need a car to get to Berkeley, and driving time will be 1.5-2 hours.

II. Ground transportation
Parking and traffic in Berkeley is usually pretty bad, and a ***** on game days, so we recommend taking BART (http://www.bart.gov). There are two good stations to use to get to the stadium: on the Richmond (red or orange) line, exit at the Main Berkeley Station (on Shattuck between Center & Allston), and walk east (towards the hills). You can walk through the campus to the stadium a good landmark is the Campanile, Cal's bell tower, situated almost in the middle of the campus. But if you want to ride, you can pick up a free shuttle to the stadium 1.5 blocks east of the BART station, on West Crescent (just east of Oxford Street), which goes through the campus. Other shuttles travel around the perimeter of the campus. The other BART stop is Rockridge Station on College Avenue, on the Concord/Pittsburg (yellow) line. The Stadium is about a 25 minute (mostly level) walk from here, but you can take a bus as well: AC transit (http://www.actransit.org/) adds extra buses (not free) on game day between the Rockridge Station and the corner of Bancroft Avenue. If you are in Contra Costa County, check out the County Connection (http://countyconnection.com/) for shuttles that run from the Lafayette and Concord BART stations.
If you absolutely must drive, UC Berkeley has a website with driving instructions (http://visit.berkeley.edu/map-directions/directions-parking/), and there are several parking lots in downtown Berkeley (http://berkeleyca.gov/city-services/parking/parking-garages-and-lots/). If you are really frugal (that's the nicer word), you may be able to park for free in residential areas which are a good 25-30 minute walk from the stadium (south of Ashby Avenue, west of Martin Luther Junior King, Jr. Way, or north of Cedar Street). By all means try to avoid driving on College Avenue and Ashby Avenue, before and after games. Some residents (typically frats/sororities) offer game day parking on their premises, but having to battle the pedestrians and traffic may make this a poor alternative; a few years back they'd charge $20, but we imagine the prices have increased since then.

III. Game day details
There is a map of campus available through the UC Berkeley site at: (http://www.berkeley.edu/map/).
Berkeley is blessed with a rather clement climate it rarely rains from August through November. But during the summer and fall, it is not unusual to have a morning fog cover that doesn't burn off until 10am-noon, only to come back about 4 pm (or doesn't burn off at all). So be prepared for weather that ranges from quite warm to chilly (ie. wear layers). You may wish to check out the website (http://lawrencehallofscience.org/play/view/), which shows the current weather at the Lawrence Hall of Science (the view you see is looking down the hill towards the stadium). BUT, what you see at 9 am isn't necessarily what you'll get at noon. The visitor's section at Memorial Stadium gets little shade, so consider bringing a hat or sunglasses for afternoon games.
Info about tickets can be found here: http://calbears.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/EVExecMacro?linkID=cal&evm=cont/. When walking to the stadium you might encounter a few pre-game tailgate parties, but there is no single area so designated for visitors you'll need to find your own. The one exception is for the Big Game (against Stanford), when the campus becomes literally overrun with tailgaters. Just don't expect to be able to drive in and park at the last moment (in this case, "last moment" may be defined as 4 hours pre-kickoff).
The Fun Zone opens to the public 2.5 hours before game time on Maxwell Family Field, just north of Memorial Stadium. It is free and caters to kids and adults alike. There is a March to Victory 2 hours and 20 minutes before kickoff time, when the fans have a chance to greet the home team as they enter through the north entrance of the Stadium.
There is a rally featuring the Marching Band at Sproul Plaza, 1.5 hours prior to kickoff, and one can follow the band afterward as it marches up to the stadium.
Restrictions into the stadium include: bags are allowed, but no larger than 12"x12"x6", and must be CLEAR. You can check non-allowed bags in a booth outside Gates 6/7 (south of the Stadium). The Will Call booth is at the north entrance to the stadium. Reentry to the stadium is not allowed.
We think Memorial Stadium is located in one of the more scenic venues around (Strawberry Canyon in the Berkeley foothills). Built in 1923, it was recently renovated, but please note that on the east side of the stadium, the restroom facilities are a series of port-a-potties along the road outside the uppermost level of seats. If you are attending a "major game" (Stanford or a highly ranked school), it may take you AT LEAST 20 minutes to get to your seat once you hand in your ticket. Plan your arrival time accordingly.
And if you get to the game without a ticket in hand, don't despair you can watch it from a point just to the east off Stadium Rim Way: "Tightwad Hill". It's rather a steep climb, but offers a free view of most of the playing field, as well as a nice vista of San Francisco Bay.
Radio game coverage is provided by two local stations: U.C. Berkeley's own KALX, 90.7 FM, and KGO 810 AM, as well as on Sirius XM radio, and via TuneIn on CalBears.com.
The area just to the south of Memorial Stadium (bounded by the stadium, College Avenue, Dwight Way and Warring Street), is the heart of Berkeley's Greek community. On game day, this area tends to get rather, er "boisterous", especially around those who wear red. If you visibly support the visiting team and wish to enjoy a serene walk before and after the game, we gently suggest you instead approach the stadium from the west, via the campus or Bancroft Avenue.

IV. Food and drink
(* indicates within 30 minute walk of the stadium)
Berkeley (and the Bay area in general) has a TON of good restaurants, too many to list here … except for Top Dog (several locations, including 2534 Durant Avenue*, and 2160 Center Street*), Fat Apple's (1346 Martin Luther King Jr. Way), and Fenton's Creamery (4226 Piedmont Avenue, Oakland [not Berkeley]), which are all local classic spots (as opposed to classy spots). You can get pizza by the slice at several places on Telegraph Avenue*, but many folks swear by Zachary's Pizza, with locations at 1853 Solano Avenue and 5801 College Avenue, Oakland. At the other end of the spectrum, Chez Panisse (1517 Shattuck Avenue) is one of the outstanding eateries in the area dining in the restaurant requires reservations made weeks in advance (and they have a fixed menu which changes every day), but you may be able to get in the caf on shorter notice. For additional restaurants, check out this webpage: https://sf.eater.com/maps/best-restaurants-berkeley.

Some local bars and pubs include:

On campus:

- Faculty Club (east of Faculty Glade)*

South of campus:
- Henry's Publick House & Grille (in Durant Hotel, 2600 Durant Avenue)*
- Raleigh's (2438 Telegraph Avenue)*
- Cali's Sports Bar & Kitchen (2367 Telegraph Avenue)*
- Caffe Strada (2300 College really a coffee house … that has good beer)*

West of campus:
- Cornerstone (2367 Shattuck Avenue)*
- Jupiter (2181 Shattuck Avenue)*
- Triple Rock (1920 Shattuck Avenue)*

North of campus:
- LaVal's Pizza (1834 Euclid Avenue)*

V. Hotels
The Durant Hotel is only a few minutes' walk from the Stadium, while three other nice hotels are in downtown Berkeley: the Shattuck Hotel, Residence Inn Berkeley, and the Berkeley City Club (the latter designed by Julia Morgan). On campus, the Faculty club is a picturesque place to stay, but you'll probably need to make reservations WELL in advance. There are several moderately-priced motels and hotels along University Avenue (which runs from Highway 80 east towards campus), and some pricier places on the Berkeley Marina (go west along University Avenue instead of east). Some folks recommend staying in San Francisco, a virtual tourist's mecca (travel from downtown SF to downtown Berkeley only takes about 25 minutes on BART). Emeryville may be a nice compromise location to stay this city has little to offer by itself (except a couple of large shopping malls), but there are several hotels right off Highway 80 at the Powell Street exit these have relatively easy access from airports, and are only a 10-20 minute drive to Berkeley (not BART accessible, but AC Transit should be able to get you to campus) these include Hyatt House, Hyatt Place, Four Points by Sheraton, and Sonesta Emeryville. Relatively cheaper motels are found in north Berkeley (on San Pablo Avenue), and further north (El Cerrito) or to the south (Oakland).

VI. Other attractions

Campus sites include:

- Click on (http://www.berkeley.edu/visitors/) for more information about physical and virtual tours.
- Cal has many rustic corners on campus, including Faculty Glade (a nice place to have a pre-game picnic), the Eucalyptus Grove and several sites along Strawberry Creek.
- If you are on campus Monday-Friday, you can ride to the top of the Campanile from 10am to 4pm ($2 general admission) and get a great view of the area (http://visit.berkeley.edu/campus-attractions/campanile).
- Architecturally, some of the more interesting sites include the lobby of the Hearst Mining Building (in the NE quadrant of the campus), the passageway through Stephens Hall (west of Faculty Glade), the Greek Theater (east of Gayley Road), Hearst Gym, and the Doe and Biosciences Libraries.
- The Free Speech movement got its start in (Upper) Sproul Plaza, and now you can get a latte in the FSM caf, located in the Moffit Library.
- Campus museums open to the public include the Berkeley Art Museum (http://www.bampfa.berkeley.edu), and several Natural History Museums (http://bnhm.berkeley.edu/about).
- There are upwards of 40 separate libraries on campus (http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/AboutLibrary/libraries_collections.html), but the biggest are the Doe, Moffit and Biosciences Libraries.

Within walking distance of the Stadium:

- Telegraph Avenue, between Dwight Way and Bancroft Way: a never-ending street fair. However, it would behoove you to have a modicum of care when on the street. Panhandlers abound, and non-violent crime seems to be on the rise. And if you are the adventurous sort …
- Just east of Telegraph is the "semi-historic" People's Park, in the quadrangle formed by Telegraph, Dwight Way, Bowditch Street & Haste Street. After years of conflict, the University is getting serious about turning it into student residences. Currently, the area is cordoned off by double stacked shipping containers, and construction is supposed to start soon. The chances of student protest over this is possible, but unlikely on Saturdays. And if you've gone that far, check out the interesting architecture of the First Church of Christ Scientist (across the street from People's Park at the corner of Dwight at Bowditch) designed by Bernard Maybeck.

If you have a car, a drive up the Berkeley hills will offer you a great view of the Bay. From the east side of Memorial Stadium, drive east up the canyon on Centennial Drive (but note this road is closed to traffic on or near game time). About 0.5 mile up on the right is the University's Botanical Gardens (http://botanicalgarden.berkeley.edu/).
A little further on is the Lawrence Hall of Science (http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org) a great place to take kids, or just enjoy the vista. Drive a little further still, and you hit Grizzly Peak Blvd. Crossing Grizzly Peak, you'll enter Tilden Park, the crown jewel of the East Bay Regional Park District (http://www.ebparks.org), and if you turn right and go south along Grizzly Park Blvd, you'll get some more great vistas, and come across several more EBRPD parks: Sibley Volcanic Regional Preserve, Huckleberry Botanic Regional Reserve, Redwood Regional Park and Anthony Chabot Regional Park.
Many Bear fans recommend staying a couple of extra days in order to take advantage of the many other popular spots that are all within a day's ride of Berkeley. San Francisco can easily provide several days of amusement by itself, but other recommendations include the Wine Country (Napa & Sonoma Counties, about 1-2 hours north of Berkeley), Lake Tahoe & Yosemite (each about 3-4 hours drive to the east in the Sierra Nevada), and Monterey/Big Sur (2-3 hour drive to the south).

If you want to catch professional sporting events, there used to be several teams in Oakland unfortunately, except for the Oakland As, they'll all now have moved away. But there are three San Francisco teams in the area: the Golden State Warriors (basketball) play at the Chase Center, the Giants (baseball) play at AT&T Park downtown (accessible via any of BART's downtown San Francisco stations with a transfer to San Francisco Muni's N train), while the 49ers (football) play at Levi's Stadium (about an hour car ride south of San Francisco in Santa Clara).

Some of the more popular local shopping districts are:

South Berkeley
- Elmwood District (College Avenue near Ashby Avenue)
- Rockridge area (actually in Oakland: College Avenue between Alcatraz Avenue and Broadway)

Central Berkeley
- Downtown Berkeley, around Shattuck Avenue and University Avenue

West Berkeley
- 4th Street (between University Avenue and Cedar Street)

North Berkeley
- Shattuck Avenue (from Hearst Avenue north to Rose Street) aka "Gourmet Ghetto", includes Walnut Square (Walnut Street at Rose Street)
- Solano Avenue (running from Berkeley west through Albany)

We hope you enjoy your stay (except for the part about your team losing to the Bears!)
smh
whoa, very well done, and thanks ChalcidBear
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalcid_wasp
muting more than 300 handles, turnaround is fair play
chalcidbear
smh said:

whoa, very well done, and thanks ChalcidBear
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalcid_wasp
Glad you made the entomological connection. If one wants to luxuriate in the beauty of the (almost) microscopic world, you can't do better than the families in the superfamily Chalcidoidea.
RaidersBear24
For those from outside the Bay Area riding BART to Cal: from San Francisco and the peninsula, take the Red Line Richmond train to Downtown Berkeley. From Oakland Airport: take the beige line to the Oakland Coliseum and transfer to the Orange Line Richmond train to Downtown Berkeley. For the East Bay, take the Orange Line Richmond train to Downtown Berkeley. For the Tri-Valley and Castro Valley, take the Blue Line Daly City train to Bay Fair and transfer to the Orange Line Richmond train to Downtown Berkeley. For Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, Concord, Pittsburg, and Antioch, take the Yellow Line SFO train to MacArthur Station and transfer to the Red Line Richmond train to Downtown Berkeley. From Downtown Berkeley station walk a couple blocks down to Bancroft Way and walk up the hill to Memorial Stadium
TexanMark
Wow...thanks for the detail

Our board is www.syracusefan.com

His thread is over at a subforum

https://syracusefan.com/threads/coming-to-berkeley-for-the-game.183708/

Dlc83
To my fellow ACC fans, by all means make the trip to Berkeley.

A group of us made the trip over the Labor Day weekend for the UNC game a few year ago.

Stayed in the City on Nob Hill - wow the weather was great giving us Southerners a welcome break from the smoldering heat.
Friday night had a great chill dinner
Saturday Ubered to and from the game. Lot's of restaurants and bars on the main street.
Take time to walk the campus on the way to the stadium. As you approach the stadium you'll pass the Greek houses throwing parties on the yard - making it almost feel like your campus.
After the game, enjoyed a post game party at the Graduate Hotel.
Sunday - visited Napa
Monday - toured the City

Wives love this trip!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.