Game day experience

11,099 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by HighlandDutch
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
82gradDLSdad said:

Larno said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

They played the "blow the whistle" medley about 50 times. I almost wanted to shoot myself lol. If in 34 and getting annoyed by it, I'm sure some older people were as well.

Not sure if there is a limited number of songs they can use or for money reasons or what, but I can find a non DMCA football playlist on YouTube if they need some help.

The small crowd size, heat, as well as lack of entertaining offensive plays never helps either.

Is this the hour long 'rap' music before the game? We get there early to avoid any issues and the blaring rap music when you know the 'youngsters' aren't even in the stadium yet is hard to take.

This one again?

The pre game music is for the players, not for anyone else. They could be playing Johann Sebastian Bach or the Wiggles and I wouldn't care as long as that's what the players want to get hyped before a game
If the players's performance is dependent upon what pre game music is played then the football program is really in bad shape. Evidently it has become more important than the size of the crowd. If abnormally loud blaring music keeps fans from coming to the game I would think that would also alter player stimulation. No disrespect to the players but last time I checked it was the fans in attendance who pay to be there and pay some of the bills. I also am puzzled because the team played better in the second half without the benefit of an hours worth of music.
Perhaps it depends on who's selecting the music. At my local high school games I suspect the Boomers are in charge as all the pre-game music is classic rock.

It's right in the name ...classic rock. Is there a classic rap genre?

82gradDLSdad
calumnus said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Larno said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

They played the "blow the whistle" medley about 50 times. I almost wanted to shoot myself lol. If in 34 and getting annoyed by it, I'm sure some older people were as well.

Not sure if there is a limited number of songs they can use or for money reasons or what, but I can find a non DMCA football playlist on YouTube if they need some help.

The small crowd size, heat, as well as lack of entertaining offensive plays never helps either.

Is this the hour long 'rap' music before the game? We get there early to avoid any issues and the blaring rap music when you know the 'youngsters' aren't even in the stadium yet is hard to take.

This one again?

The pre game music is for the players, not for anyone else. They could be playing Johann Sebastian Bach or the Wiggles and I wouldn't care as long as that's what the players want to get hyped before a game
If the players's performance is dependent upon what pre game music is played then the football program is really in bad shape. Evidently it has become more important than the size of the crowd. If abnormally loud blaring music keeps fans from coming to the game I would think that would also alter player stimulation. No disrespect to the players but last time I checked it was the fans in attendance who pay to be there and pay some of the bills. I also am puzzled because the team played better in the second half without the benefit of an hours worth of music.
Perhaps it depends on who's selecting the music. At my local high school games I suspect the Boomers are in charge as all the pre-game music is classic rock.

Didn't know hip hop is rap. So far, not hitting me but I'll keep listening. I think someone else posted that the volume on the stadium rap before the players are even out and the students are there makes it a bit hard for the early arrivers, yes mostly older, to have a discussion. What are you gonna do? Kids these days.
kal kommie
pingpong2 said:

My two cents

Most (good) players want to play in the NFL, and most players want an NFL-type experience. I doubt most D1 players at any school could give two hoots about things like tradition. I'd honestly be surprised if the majority of them even know the words to their school's fight song.
My twenty-five cents

I'd bet anything that game music has never been a factor in decisions by any Cal recruit ever.

From the earliest days of the program until relatively recently, the gameday experience was centered around the students, both in the section and the band. You would hear the band play along with the chants of the students and their yell on 3rd down (you'd also be able to hear the people around you). Together with the students-athletes on the field, the whole thing was a production by Cal students. The speakers were only used to provide information.

Now the dominant part of the "gameday experience" is the piped-in music. The band has virtually ceased playing in between snaps and only a few times per game plays anything during stoppages. The band rarely plays anything except Big C and Fight for California during the game anymore, pregame and halftime excluded.

The student section used to be the beating heart of the crowd. They would create noise on first and second down and then hit the next gear on 3rd. They would supply this whenever a game was competitive, no matter whether Cal was good or bad or in-between. Between plays they would do chants. The section is much quieter now. The pre-snap noise for the defense from the students is much lower, especially on 3rd down. The pre-snap electronic noise drowns them out, almost smothering the atmosphere.

Although competitive reasons are not what motivates me to complain about the pre-snap noise, I do think it costs the defense more than it gets them in the long run. Yes, the defense benefits from any noise pre-snap since it makes communication harder for the offense but the psychological effect is better with noise produced from human voices.. Nothing beats the emotional synergy the crowd and the defense experience together when the crowd yells its lungs dry pre-snap and the defense responds with a key play. Nothing else supplies the feeling that the team and its fans have won together.

The plasticization of the gameday experience is part of the soulless professionalization of every aspect of the sport. College football used to be about student-athletics, tradition and school spirit. Yes, it's always been about making money too, but the commercial aspect did not overwhelm the symbolic ones as it now does. Notably, there's nothing money making about the piped-in music. Cal doesn't make one cent of profit from it. It's more likely to lose them fans than gain them. They only do it because the gameday experience is now programmed via corporate groupthink. Every other professional sports game day management team floods the air with piped-in music and electronic noise so it must be profitable.

There's nothing Cal can do about the conference realignment, the death of the bowls (especially the Rose Bowl), the destruction of hundred year old annual rivalry games, or the extreme roster turnover which makes a mockery out of student-athletics, but Cal can control its own game day audio program. All it has to do is dial back the piped-in music by 75% and stop blasting the electronic noise presnap on defense (at least not when the game is competitive; if the crowd has given up then ok). This remedy won't cost them a cent and will dramatically improve the atmosphere at games.
Big C

^ great post, kal kommie
Bobodeluxe
Big C said:

^ great post, kal kommie
Whi$tling in the wind.
HoopDreams

calumnus
82gradDLSdad said:

calumnus said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Larno said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

This one again?

Didn't know hip hop is rap. So far, not hitting me but I'll keep listening. I think someone else posted that the volume on the stadium rap before the players are even out and the students are there makes it a bit hard for the early arrivers, yes mostly older, to have a discussion. What are you gonna do? Kids these days.

Not the best playlist, I only linked it because it was labeled "classic" but usually it is referred to as "Old School."

Rap is part of Hip Hop, which originated in the Bronx in the 70's and includes the broader cultural elements like Break Dancing, which is now so classic it is in the Olympics.

It was fresh when I was a freshman in 1980, now 44 years ago. For perspective, "classic rock" was already "classic rock" but was only 10 to 20 years old at that time.

And Tupac's California Love came out in 1995, nearly 30 years ago (before the students were born) and definitely qualifies as "Classic Rap" and is a great staple of our game day experience IMO:
TomBear

I finally gave up my season tickets this year, and it wasn't all because of the team's lack of success. It was, as Cal Kommie referred to, a result of the "game day experience" which is no longer as enjoyable as it once was.

For the last 5 years or so I kept telling my Cal representative I was close to terminating my annual purchase of season tickets because Cal was turning the Cal experience into another generic, plastic nfl wannabe. I don't go to nfl games specifically because they AREN'T as fun as the college game. But now, they're closer and closer to being the same, and I'm not going to spend my money nor my time driving 5 1/2 hours each way for something that's increasingly not there. Finally, this year, after decades of season ticket purchasing, I made good on my threat, and I didn't renew the tickets.

I, too, don't just go to the games in order to see Cal win. I go for the "Cal Spirit" and the experience that going to Cal games used to provide for me. I want the Bears to win, to be sure. But if I simply wanted to watch a game for the win/loss aspect of it, I get a much better seat on my couch, better beer, and all the food I want by watching on TV. The difference? Being at the game with Cal friends, seeing Cal Band, hearing Cal Band, watching the card stunts, hearing AND SEEING the cannon, enjoying the crowd responding to Cal Yells and watching Cal Band march through the tunnel before the lights go out......that's what I can't duplicate at home. And increasingly, I can't experience it at the stadium either.
oskidunker
TomBear said:

I finally gave up my season tickets this year, and it wasn't all because of the team's lack of success. It was, as Cal Kommie referred to, a result of the "game day experience" which is no longer as enjoyable as it once was.

For the last 5 years or so I kept telling my Cal representative I was close to terminating my annual purchase of season tickets because Cal was turning the Cal experience into another generic, plastic nfl wannabe. I don't go to nfl games specifically because they AREN'T as fun as the college game. But now, they're closer and closer to being the same, and I'm not going to spend my money nor my time driving 5 1/2 hours each way for something that's increasingly not there. Finally, this year, after decades of season ticket purchasing, I made good on my threat, and I didn't renew the tickets.

I, too, don't just go to the games in order to see Cal win. I go for the "Cal Spirit" and the experience that going to Cal games used to provide for me. I want the Bears to win, to be sure. But if I simply wanted to watch a game for the win/loss aspect of it, I get a much better seat on my couch, better beer, and all the food I want by watching on TV. The difference? Being at the game with Cal friends, seeing Cal Band, hearing Cal Band, watching the card stunts, hearing AND SEEING the cannon, enjoying the crowd responding to Cal Yells and watching Cal Band march through the tunnel before the lights go out......that's what I can't duplicate at home. And increasingly, I can't experience it at the stadium either.

I also cancelled for those reasons. They don't care.
Go Bears!
HoopDreams
I Cal tradition I miss is "roll them up!"
HearstMining
OK, I'll wallow in old-fartdom with the rest of you.
  • I'm sick of the "Give me a C . . . Who are we?" cheer. Whatever happened to the old California spellout? Or the "C-A-L, who ya rootin' for?" cheer?
  • No time for singing Hail to California in the pre-game show? That's the only way current students ever hear and learn it, since none stay for the post-game show (which is aimed at the alumni). Heck, I knew most of the song from going to the games as a kid, before I was ever a Cal student.
  • I've always admired the prancing tubas when the band plays Fight for California. That takes some real fitness to do that, but this year's group were walking before they were half way around the field. Maybe wind sprints up the hill in front of Bowles Hall?
  • What ever happened to the Mic Men leading a "Cal Band Great" cheer at the end of the pre-game show?

OK, time to catch the early-bird special at the local Denny's.
flounder
82gradDLSdad said:

ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Larno said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

This one again?

Is there a classic rap genre?

Why yes. Yes there is.

Added bonus of having not 1 but 2 cal grads in the scene

I don't know enough about this entire scene or music to know if your post is a joke or serious. I'm not trying to be offensive either. I realize music like beauty is in the mind of the beholder. Thanks for the reply either way.
The Beastie Boys, formed in the 80s in NYC, are one of the pillars of classic hip-hop.
82gradDLSdad
flounder said:

82gradDLSdad said:

ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Larno said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

This one again?

Why yes. Yes there is.

I don't know enough about this entire scene or music to know if your post is a joke or serious. I'm not trying to be offensive either. I realize music like beauty is in the mind of the beholder. Thanks for the reply either way.
The Beastie Boys, formed in the 80s in NYC, are one of the pillars of classic hip-hop.

Hey, I've heard of them. I have to admit that all of my music knowledge and interest comes from an FM car radio. So it's pretty limited.
bearsandgiants
82gradDLSdad said:

flounder said:

82gradDLSdad said:

ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Larno said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

This one again?

Why yes. Yes there is.

Hey, I've heard of them. I have to admit that all of my music knowledge and interest comes from an FM car radio. So it's pretty limited.

Run DMC another FM pillar. Good times it was back then.
82gradDLSdad
bearsandgiants said:

82gradDLSdad said:

flounder said:

82gradDLSdad said:

ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Larno said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

This one again?

Why yes. Yes there is.

Run DMC another FM pillar. Good times it was back then.

I'm sure I've heard these guys too and like some songs. What about, and no age jokes, Tone Loc? Is he a rapper? I actually really like a couple of his songs.
JSC 76
FWIW: Auburn blasts hip-hop during pregame warmups. But then…no music during the game, except for some hype noise on 3rd down. It was wonderful.
They also have 2 things that we don't: a freakin' ginormous band, and 80,000 fans.
So their game day experience is nothing like ours. It's better.
oski003
bearsandgiants said:

Auburn is calling for all fans to wear white to the game, in the South, after Labor Day.

And they are spraying the student section with a fire hose...
Sonofoski
I'm calling for the CAL Band to boycott next week's game in protest of the piped in music. The band has become an afterthought with the proliferation of piped in music.

I have emailed the student leaders of the band to suggest the boycott and to put a stop to this injustice.

IMO, the band should be playing a minimum of 3 times each quarter. That is not happening. It's up to the students to make sure the band does not become relic of the past.
75bear
82gradDLSdad said:

Larno said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

This one again?

If you're in the Bay Area, 102.9 plays classic rap & hip hop.
golden sloth
Sonofoski said:

I'm calling for the CAL Band to boycott next week's game in protest of the piped in music. The band has become an afterthought with the proliferation of piped in music.

I have emailed the student leaders of the band to suggest the boycott and to put a stop to this injustice.

IMO, the band should be playing a minimum of 3 times each quarter. That is not happening. It's up to the students to make sure the band does not become relic of the past.
If this is sarcasm I apologize. If its not:

Your priorities are terrible. Get off your soapbox, stop complaining about every little thing, and encourage everyone you know to go to games. If you don't, it is entirely possible Cal does not have a football program in another 10 years.

oskidunker
golden sloth said:

Sonofoski said:

Your priorities are terrible. Get off your soapbox, stop complaining about every little thing, and encourage everyone you know to go to games. If you don't, it is entirely possible Cal does not have a football program in another 10 years.

Oh my God!
Go Bears!
TomBear

Golden Sloth, who the _____ do you think you are? Social media and sites like BearInsider exist expressly for people to share their thoughts/opinions. You may not agree, but who do you think you are telling someone to "get off their soapbox". Social media and sites like BI are precisely that.......cyber soapboxes.

If Cal doesn't have a football program in the next 10 years, it won't be because people didn't come to the games. It will be because the team didn't warrant people going, and/or the experience was simply not worth it to those who are interested in going.

It is looking like the team MIGHT be doing its part right now. The season is young, but Cal's performance at Auburn certainly can lead one to hope that Wilcox is getting traction now and the team is building itself into a contender. We'll know a whole lot after the next two games, but at least they are going into those games at 2-0. So if they can keep that up, who knows?

But if you read the entire thread, you realize people don't just go to the games to see Cal win. We WANT Cal to win, and will support them as best we can. But I live in SoCal. I can watch nfl games if winning is all I want to see (although the Lambs and Bolts aren't always great representatives of that statement). I don't go. Why? Because it's all plastic. Plastic stadium, plastic grass, plastic environment (and I question some of the food)......nothing like a college game. I'd rather go see Cal play competitively and lose than go see the Lambs or Bolts win in their artificial environment. Why? Because of Cal Band, Cal Card Stunts, Cal Yells, Cal friends, our beautiful California Memorial Stadium and Cal Traditions. When those things are gone, I just have the game, and that's it. And I can watch that on my couch on TV.

And I know others who feel the same way. ALL BUT ONE of my close friends who I know purchased season tickets in the past has stopped doing so. And it wasn't because Cal wasn't winning.
kal kommie
golden sloth said:

Sonofoski said:

I also hope Sonofoski was being sarcastic, though because I believe such a boycott would be disastrous for the band and more likely to result in their further marginalization than anything else.

As for priorities, if they don't revert some of these elements, I won't last 10 more years as a regular attendee regardless. And I've attended about 97% of home games over the last 35 seasons. These might be little things to you but they're not to me (or perhaps you even prefer the new plastic environment). They've mutilated the experience of attending a Cal football game at Memorial and for no good reason at all.
82gradDLSdad
kal kommie said:

golden sloth said:

Sonofoski said:

I also hope Sonofoski was being sarcastic, though because I believe such a boycott would be disastrous for the band and more likely to result in their further marginalization than anything else.

As for priorities, if they don't revert some of these elements, I won't last 10 more years as a regular attendee regardless. And I've attended about 97% of home games over the last 35 seasons. These might be little things to you but they're not to me (or perhaps you even prefer the new plastic environment). They've mutilated the experience of attending a Cal football game at Memorial and for no good reason at all.

After hearing how big and loud Auburn's band was and knowing how loud SC's band is I was wondering why Cal's band can't recruit any and all band albums to sit in the stands with them and play some of the repeated, high volume songs during the home games. No on the field (maybe after) but just to increase game volume and then have them play after every first down, etc. Just like other large, annoying visitor bands.
Thoughts?
kal kommie
82gradDLSdad said:

kal kommie said:

golden sloth said:

Sonofoski said:

After hearing how big and loud Auburn's band was and knowing how loud SC's band is I was wondering why Cal's band can't recruit any and all band albums to sit in the stands with them and play some of the repeated, high volume songs during the home games. No on the field (maybe after) but just to increase game volume and then have them play after every first down, etc. Just like other large, annoying visitor bands.
Thoughts?
Seems like a good idea to me but I would defer to whatever the band's view would be.

The band's forced move two sections south has a significant effect on their volume for people who sit north of the 50 yard line. I'm in EE and the effect is very noticeable there.
Big C
82gradDLSdad said:

kal kommie said:

golden sloth said:

Sonofoski said:

Thoughts?

Not a bad idea, actually. Add in another 50 or mor) musicians, playing the most needed instruments. Players who wouldn't need to "save their lip for halftime" or be already "shot" from pre-game.

Of course, there would still be the issues of... a) carving out times for the band to play and... b) having the band facing their biggest audience.
GMP
Big C said:

82gradDLSdad said:

kal kommie said:

golden sloth said:

Sonofoski said:

Thoughts?

Not a bad idea, actually. Add in another 50 or mor) musicians, playing the most needed instruments. Players who wouldn't need to "save their lip for halftime" or be already "shot" from pre-game.

Of course, there would still be the issues of... a) carving out times for the band to play and... b) having the band facing their biggest audience.

I'm not a sound engineer but I wonder if the band would sound louder to everyone if they were in the south end zone.
MTbear22
TomBear said:

Golden Sloth, who the _____ do you think you are? Social media and sites like BearInsider exist expressly for people to share their thoughts/opinions. You may not agree, but who do you think you are telling someone to "get off their soapbox". Social media and sites like BI are precisely that.......cyber soapboxes.

If Cal doesn't have a football program in the next 10 years, it won't be because people didn't come to the games. It will be because the team didn't warrant people going, and/or the experience was simply not worth it to those who are interested in going.

It is looking like the team MIGHT be doing its part right now. The season is young, but Cal's performance at Auburn certainly can lead one to hope that Wilcox is getting traction now and the team is building itself into a contender. We'll know a whole lot after the next two games, but at least they are going into those games at 2-0. So if they can keep that up, who knows?

But if you read the entire thread, you realize people don't just go to the games to see Cal win. We WANT Cal to win, and will support them as best we can. But I live in SoCal. I can watch nfl games if winning is all I want to see (although the Lambs and Bolts aren't always great representatives of that statement). I don't go. Why? Because it's all plastic. Plastic stadium, plastic grass, plastic environment (and I question some of the food)......nothing like a college game. I'd rather go see Cal play competitively and lose than go see the Lambs or Bolts win in their artificial environment. Why? Because of Cal Band, Cal Card Stunts, Cal Yells, Cal friends, our beautiful California Memorial Stadium and Cal Traditions. When those things are gone, I just have the game, and that's it. And I can watch that on my couch on TV.

And I know others who feel the same way. ALL BUT ONE of my close friends who I know purchased season tickets in the past has stopped doing so. And it wasn't because Cal wasn't winning.
Get off your soapbox
Big C

Yes. They would sound louder to everybody in the stadium except for the sections currently right across from them. Well, let me qualify that: What they should be doing right now is facing towards the 50 yd line (alumni side), when they play. Not sure if they are doing that.

Anyway, the upper-brass sound (trumpets) is very "directional".
golden sloth
TomBear said:

Who do I think I am, Tombear? I am someone who thinks they are right.

Calling for a boycott of Cal football because of piped in music is displaying a severe lack of priorities. The number 1 priority of all Cal fans should be the preservation of Cal football right now. Its not a guarantee, we are not USC or Ohio State. Hell, we aren't even Washington or Oregon. Cal needs all the support it can gather. Calling for a boycott to 'make a statement' about hearing Sandstorm a few times during the game instead of the band is displaying a lack of priorities. There will be no Cal Band if there is no Cal football. So why choose to hurt Cal football when it is weak and stumbling. Yes, that is a display of bad priorities, and I am someone who is choosing to call out the stupidity of those bad priorities.
Sonofoski
Golden Sloth,

I think you are someone who has never been at Sproul Hall for the pre game concert, who has never walked up to Memorial with the band, comes to game just before kickoff and leaves before the final gun never to enjoy the post game concert. And, at halftime buys a hot dog.

Big C

if so (^), then perhaps a Communist, or at least a Communist-sympathizer
AunBear89
Big C said:

Nah, bro. What Sonofoski described is a freaking nihilist.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Anarchistbear
Big C said:

Authoritarian Bandist
BarcaBear
I finally found something more annoying than listening to Trotskyists, Leninists, and Stalinists argue. lolol

Somebody needs to find the guy that hacked the audio system for that one Big Game when the ref threw a flag they dubbed in "Unsportsmanlike conduct, Stanford. Arrogance". We desperately need that Cal alumns help with this garbage audio.

Moar band pleaze!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.