Auburn game tidbits unrelated to the actual game

1,903 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Gobears49
bencgilmore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Would love to hear other peoples' stories

* Two stanford fans were noticed walking to the left of the Cal section early in the game. A particularly hearty "take off that red shirt!" chant broke out, surprising the s**t out of the nearby Auburn fans

* Did anyone get a video of that... um.... display they put up on the big screen of a tiger apparently.. um... touching a bear innappropriately? From... uh.. behind? It lasted what seemed like forever and on Auburn's giant screen it was hard to miss. I'm curious if whoever originally thought that was a good idea still does...

* Joe Starkey sat directly behind us! At one point we were standing and I told my buddy to my right, who was directly in front of Starkey, that "psst... dude... you're blocking Joe Starkey." He quietly sat down.

Joe's a tremendously nice guy btw, and was very locked in on the game. Not sure if he knew any of our players names' but given the portal its easier to excuse these days.

Auburn fans were a little perplexed as to why he was getting so much attention as he got to his seat, and he didn't even seem to mind when I introduced him as the "band is out on the field!" guy, which I imagine had to be obnoxious (i meant well)

* Related note... why the hell was Joe Starkey sitting behind me and not in a luxury box? Cal.. come on...
bencgilmore
Also there were some undercover Alabama fans next to us, and they think we're pretty much the greatest thing since sliced bread. For a week, anyway
Strykur
bencgilmore said:

* Related note... why the hell was Joe Starkey sitting behind me and not in a luxury box? Cal.. come on...
I think he has the cash to sit wherever he wants, but also the university did him enough favors by letting him sit in the booth for 15+ years past his expiration date.
Alkiadt
Strykur said:

bencgilmore said:

I think he has the cash to sit wherever he wants, but also the university did him enough favors by letting him sit in the booth for 15+ years past his expiration date.
Exactly. Can't stand the guy.
berkeleygirl17
He had seats in the media box but felt he could see better in the CAL section. He was a guest of the travel group "Bears without Borders" and a speaker at the CAL dinner at the College Football HOF on Friday night
tpender
Yes be thankful he's not announcing!
FuzzyWuzzy
Alkiadt said:

Strykur said:

If you know Joe and have something personal against him, why air it here? If you just didn't like his play by play style, I guess that is your prerogative but the guy is now retired for a few years. Why air it here?

Like it or not, he was the voice of Cal football for decades, and his tenure as our PbP announcer was historic. Yes, historic. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I personally loved how invested he was in our university and our football team, and how you could hear it in his voice. How excited he was for the team when they pulled out a victory from the jaws of defeat (Colvin's goal line fumble at Autzen). And how disappointed he was for the team when they pulled defeat from the jaws of victory (Pat Barnes's goal line fumble at WSU, among many other examples). It was usually the away games that you tuned in, but I was one of those dorks who would bring a radio headset to CMS, much to my daughters' horror. I hope the AD honors him as a Cal great forever. He deserves it, in my opinion. He's one of us, and a part of our DNA as a football program.

Any pbp announcer is an acquired taste, and maybe to love Starkey you had to listen to him in an era where not every game was on TV. When you arrived at your destination and parked your car, but you left the radio on to hear Joe tell you whether you were going to be in good mood or a shytty one on Sat. night. You know, the good old days? Ha ha.
Alkiadt
FuzzyWuzzy said:

Alkiadt said:

Strykur said:

If you know Joe and have something personal against him, why air it here? If you just didn't like his play by play style, I guess that is your prerogative but the guy is now retired for a few years. Why air it here?

Like it or not, he was the voice of Cal football for decades, and his tenure as our PbP announcer was historic. Yes, historic. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I personally loved how invested he was in our university and our football team, and how you could hear it in his voice. How excited he was for the team when they pulled out a victory from the jaws of defeat (Colvin's goal line fumble at Autzen). And how disappointed he was for the team when they pulled defeat from the jaws of victory (Pat Barnes's goal line fumble at WSU, among many other examples). It was usually the away games that you tuned in, but I was one of those dorks who would bring a radio headset to CMS, much to my daughters' horror. I hope the AD honors him as a Cal great forever. He deserves it, in my opinion. He's one of us, and a part of our DNA as a football program.

Any pbp announcer is an acquired taste, and maybe to love Starkey you had to listen to him in an era where not every game was on TV. When you arrived at your destination and parked your car, but you left the radio on to hear Joe tell you whether you were going to be in good mood or a shytty one on Sat. night. You know, the good old days? Ha ha.

It's an internet fan board. I was agreeing with a post. I am quite sure I'm not alone in my opinion.
And I had nearly 50 years of Starkey to acquire a taste for his work. I gave up after about 3.

smh
> You know, the good old days? Ha ha.

thanks Fuzzy. paraphrasing a close friend of mine in the late 60s [who fled to canada after going awol from boot camp, and never came back].. "if you can remember the good old days you did 'em wrong"
muting more than 300 handles, turnaround is fair play
smh
Quote:

> Any pbp announcer is an acquired taste, and maybe to love Starkey you had to listen to him in an era where not every game was on TV. When you arrived at your destination and parked your car, but you left the radio on to hear Joe tell you whether you were going to be in good mood or a shytty one on Sat. night. You know, the good old days? Ha ha.
needed saying, well done, and thanks again.
muting more than 300 handles, turnaround is fair play
CALiforniALUM
If he didn't know the the players names did he at least know the down and distance? Wait, let me guess you are not sure because he didn't say.
bear2034
bencgilmore said:

* Two stanford fans were noticed walking to the left of the Cal section early in the game. A particularly hearty "take off that red shirt!" chant broke out, surprising the s**t out of the nearby Auburn fans

This is a dangerous chant...because it works!
01Bear
FuzzyWuzzy said:

Alkiadt said:

Strykur said:

I listened to Joe Starkey calling Cal games; I liked his love of Cal, but really every local team's broadcaster will exhibit the same. It's what people often refer to as homerism. That's great for getting fans to love the team, but it's not sufficient to be a good broadcaster, let alone a play-by-play guy, especially for radio. People listening to the radio can't see the le action on the field. They can't see where the down marker or the line of gain mark is located. They don't know which player has the ball. They don't know how much time is left. For a television play by play man to ignore that is understandable because a viewing audience can see it for itself; not so for a radio audience. That's why I never cared for Joe Starkey's broadcasting; he didn't include the basic information fans needed.

For me, the gold standard of play by play men is Chick Hearn. He did his homework. He learned all the players' names, called out time left on the clock, said who was doing what, and gave other basic information all while keeping pace with the live action by painting a highly descriptive verbal picture.
JSC 76
No handrails in our section. Jordan-Hare is a big stadium and the stairs are steep, so it's vertigo-inducing trying to get to the bathroom.

We went to the Tiger Walk, where the players get off the bus and walk through the fans into the stadium, while the Tiger band plays. It was fun, but as a band performance I think I like our rally at Sproul better.

The band at the Tiger Walk was maybe 25% of their total. When they enter the stadium they're squeezed tightly, 4 deep, along the sidelines from goal line to goal line. That is a freakin' huge band.

Gobears49
Contrary to all of the Starkey naysayers, I thought he was a great announcer. He made up in enthusiasm for whatever he lack techically.

His post game rant after the refs ruled Cal had scored a touchdown in The Play was a thing of beauty, just as good as his actual call when the Cal was moving the ball down the field for a touchdown. Loved his final statement -- "there will be no extra point," which emphasized The Play, all by itself, put Cal into the lead to win the game. The Play was and will be the greatest football play forever, college or pro.
Marty
Well said. Joe wasn't perfect, and perhaps the last few years he was not at his best. However, as noted, he was a loyal yet candid play-by-play announcer, who called it like it was, as opposed to some of the blindly biased honks in the SEC and Big 10. Joe always represented Cal, in any forum, with dignity and professionalism. He is the consummate gentleman, and after Lon Simmons, I think he was the best announcer the Niners have had.
Fire Starkey
bencgilmore said:

* Did anyone get a video of that... um.... display they put up on the big screen of a tiger apparently.. um... touching a bear innappropriately? From... uh.. behind? It lasted what seemed like forever and on Auburn's giant screen it was hard to miss. I'm curious if whoever originally thought that was a good idea still does...

* Joe Starkey sat directly behind us! At one point we were standing and I told my buddy to my right, who was directly in front of Starkey, that "psst... dude... you're blocking Joe Starkey." He quietly sat down.

Joe's a tremendously nice guy btw, and was very locked in on the game. Not sure if he knew any of our players names' but given the portal its easier to excuse these days.

Auburn fans were a little perplexed as to why he was getting so much attention as he got to his seat, and he didn't even seem to mind when I introduced him as the "band is out on the field!" guy, which I imagine had to be obnoxious (i meant well)

I was 2 rows directly behind him. I strongly considered asking him for a selfie and putting a scowl on my face but didn't. Wouldve been high comedy
egbear82
Funny that you must have been sitting right in front of me as I was sitting right next to Starkey and he is such a nice guy! Every time Cal made a big play I would shout "What a bonanza" until he finally chuckled about it :-)
AunBear89
Okay, it's 2nd and 8 folks …. here's the runner. Gain of 4 on the play …. And it's 3rd and 6.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
ddc_Cal
Bill King was much better than Chick. Football and basketball.

And baseball.
HairOfTheBear
Boom! Bill King was amazing
ddc_Cal
I stopped listening to Starkey about 1980. A game at Oregon, 4th and 1, we sent our fullback up the middle. Starkey reported that 'the refs didn't give him the first down. Can't get a break in the Pac 10 on the road, eh Monte?'

Big play and we might have won with a first down at that point.

The TV sports showed that highlight and our fullback never got close to the line of scrimmage, let alone the first down marker.

Over the years, I would listen to a couple minutes of him now and then. Never any change.
tpender
Yet he belongs in the HoF! Yea right!
Gobears49
I believe I read Stasrkey was a radio announcer for Cal footbal for 48 years. I met him briefly at a showing of a movie (not very good) based upon Cal sports. Super nice guy. Also read about his self-training to improve his announcing skill, which he did all over the Bay Area and for several sports. A great guy who truly loved all things Cal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.