Story Poster
Photo by X / Cal Football
Cal Football

Costly Mistakes, OL Play Dooms Bears in 17-15 Loss at #22 Pitt

October 12, 2024

PITTSBURGH, PA - More heartbreak and frustration was the fate of Cal fans today in the Bears’ 17-15 loss at #22 Pittsburgh in a game that was more than winnable but was ultimately derailed by costly mistakes throughout the game as well as an offensive line that was a sieve against the aggressive Pitt defense.

When QB Fernando Mendoza wasn’t being sacked six times, he was often pressured and hit. The Bears gave up 11 tackles for loss to a team that came into the game with just 12 sacks. Overall, Mendoza went 27-for-37 for 272 yards and a touchdown and no turnovers. TE Jack Endries was the star for the Bears, hauling in 8 receptions for 119 yards and a TD in the loss.

In all, the Bears were whistled for 12 penalties for 110 yards and it would’ve been more if several penalties weren’t declined.

“Penalties were a major issue,” head coach Justin Wilcox said after the game. “Four 15 yarders. We had an unsportsmanlike right before half that cost us big...we had two PI’s on one drive for 30 yards of field position. We had a facemask for 15. Receivers had an illegal substitution, really bad. False start..delay, three holding penalties. 

“It’s bad. You just have to focus. It takes physical toughness, mental toughness, emotional toughness.”

In the last four years, the team has been 5-20 in one score games including tonight’s disappointing loss.

“How do you win a one-score game today?” Wilcox asked rhetorically. “You cut the penalties in half. Start there...Let’s go to 4th-and-1. Everyone’s doing their job - 10 out of 11 guys. One guy makes kind of a selfish decision, gets out of his gap. I think we had a great chance to stop them and get the ball in their territory. A guy gets out of his gap and they run 72 yards for a touchdown.”

The Bears were unable to generate much offense on the ground, with running back Jaivian Thomas, starting in place of injured starter Jadyn Ott, gaining 72 yards on 17 carries.

The game got off to a good start for the Bears after stuffing the Pitt offense with a 3-and-out and following up with an opening TD drive.

Facing 3rd-and-17 on the drive at the Cal 44, Mendoza came up with a clutch completion to WR Jonathan Brady for 23 yards, bringing the ball to the Pitt 33. Three plays later, Thomas turned on the jets for a 21-yard TD run to give the Bears a 6-0 lead after a failed 2-point conversion attempt failed.

The Panthers immediately responded with a scoring drive of their own, aided by a pair of facemask and hands-to-the-face penalties and a 4th-and-5 conversion from midfield. Pitt took the lead on a 5-yard Desmond Reid burst up the middle for the score and the Ben Sauls PAT to go up 7-6 with 5:07 left in the quarter.

After a pair of penalties cut short the Bears’ next possession, Cal’s run of 4th-down defensive futility burned them in a big way.

Showing either complete confidence in their offense or in the Cal defense’s recent fourth down struggles, the Panthers went for it with an unusual 4th-and-1 situation from their own 28. Seemingly confused by Pitt’s misdirection, Reid bounced the ball off tackle and found nothing but green grass ahead of him, pulling away for the surprisingly easy 72-yard TD run to put Pitt up 14-6 to start the second quarter.

The Panthers extended their lead after the Bears were forced to abandon going for it on 4th-and-1 at midfield after an illegal substitution penalty. Pitt responded with a 58-yard field goal on the ensuing drive to go up 17-6 with 10:04 left in the half.

The Bears finally stemmed the tide of 17 straight Pitt points, putting together a 9-play, 54-yard drive ending in a 39-yard Ryan Coe field goal to make it 17-9 with 5:57 left in the half to close out the scoring in the half.

The Bears’ 20:43 to 9:17 first-half time of possession advantage yielded little, with 8 penalties for 90 yards derailing any drive continuity in the half.

The third quarter was a stalemate, with either team failing to score, despite two Cal interceptions by cornerback Nohl Williams and nickel back Cam Sidney. Sidney’s return gave the Bears the ball on the Pitt 40 but they only managed to move backward on two sacks and an incompletion.

The Bears finally got things going after taking over at their 22 on their next possession. Tight end Jack Endries put the team on his back on the drive, hauling in catches for 20 and 27 yards with plenty of yards after catch before grabbing a pass up the middle and bulling his way in for the 19-yard TD.

Cal’s special teams woes continued as they failed on their second straight 2-point conversion attempt and trailed 17-15 with 10:30 remaining.

The Bears had a golden opportunity to milk the clock and take the lead after taking over at their 20 with 8:22 left in the game and methodically moving it to the Pitt 22 where they faced 3rd-and-9. Rather than trying to pass for a first down, backup QB Chandler Rogers had a short run that positioned the Bears for the potential game-winning field goal, though there was still 1:50 left on the clock.

Set up for a 40-yard field goal in the center of the field, well within Coe’s range, the senior kicker missed wide right, crushing the Bears’ hopes for victory.

The Bears still had a chance for a late comeback after forcing a 3-and-out and getting the ball back at their 20 with :52 left but three straight incompletions sandwiched around another false start penalty found the Bears in 4th-and-15. Finally hitting on a completion to WR Mason Starling, it was again short of the sticks as was the case so often all game and the Bears turned over the ball on downs, leaving Pitt to kneel down and run out the clock.

The Bears fell to 3-3 (0-3) after the loss. Pitt runs their record to 6-0 (2-0) after their victory.

Discussion from...

Costly Mistakes, OL Play Dooms Bears in 17-15 Loss at #22 Pitt

4,358 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 20 min ago by calumnus
BearSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Foolish decision to go for 2 in the first quarter ends up costing the team an OT and leading to the loss.

0-3 in conference after a good non-conference start. We've seen this movie before, too many times.
Big C

I never once, during this game, felt like we would win. That is what it's come to, with all the mistakes and poor decisions.
Golden One
This article could have been written by Wilcox. Places blame for the loss on the players while not even mentioning the many stupid and irrational decisions by Wilcox. This loss (like the Miami loss) is totally on our inept head coach.
GoCal80
The athletic director, head coach and players are all getting paid handsomely win or lose. I can't think of any other activity with such a complete lack of performance incentive.
72CalBear

False starts and penalties. Sacks. Dreadful at this stage of the season. The Bears are gritty and brave, but they aren't seeing the big picture needed to stay consistent and on task. The coaches use "execution" all the time. It's their job to put them in the right place with those with the skill sets able to do that.
Bring back bottled beer and cigars at CMS. Should get us back in the Rose Bowl!
upsetof86
Ultimately these kinds of penalties and lack of focus issues are coaching deficits. But what does that mean? I think it's because the kids don't "respect" ("fear") Wilco and his band of besties (aka staff). It's all part of the we want a coach I would want my daughter to marry problem we have. No one is afraid of the nerd as they should be. We live in a world where the other end of the spectrum is criminalized. Our coach is a prime example of the soft serve trophy for all type end of the coaching style spectrum. Seems obvious.
concernedparent
GoCal80 said:

The athletic director, head coach and players are all getting paid handsomely win or lose. I can't think of any other activity with such a complete lack of performance incentive.
I can think of at least two, both very much resemble Wilcox's position. Pro sports (guaranteed contracts) and being a corporate executive (golden parachutes).
WalterSobchak
I didn't watch the interview. I just can't do it. Did anyone ask Wilcox why he went for 2 after the first touchdown? Did anyone point out we wouldn't have been trailing if HE had just called for two PATs?
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/calegendsdonate/donate-football/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 10% of alumni to give $300 per year. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear

Thanks for reading my sig! Please consider copying or adapting it and using it on all of your posts too. Go Bears!
blungld
Wilcox able to itemize his performance wish list, the mistakes, and blame players, but NOT say I blew it with the 2 pt try, poor clock management at the end of the half, and once again playing way too conservatively at the end of the game. Beyond "we need to coach better" what self assessment and real honest blame taking is he doing? If I were a player I would be plssed at his in-game decisions and then failure to correct or publicly state mistakes. Accountability starts with him--and saying we need to coach better is not being accountable. Name the mistakes and how to fix them. Specifically.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
WalterSobchak
Yeah I started to watch and all he was doing was blaming players so I had to turn it off. Really detestable stuff.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/calegendsdonate/donate-football/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 10% of alumni to give $300 per year. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear

Thanks for reading my sig! Please consider copying or adapting it and using it on all of your posts too. Go Bears!
falseintellect
WalterSobchak said:

Yeah I started to watch and all he was doing was blaming players so I had to turn it off. Really detestable stuff.
Because this is exactly the type of game he WANTS and is AIMING for. He just wishes the players did it slightly better.

Everyone watches Cal play and every game looks disastrous but that is his style of football. Every game is a mud wrestling match where both teams are covered in ***** That's a feature, not a bug. That's why he can't get an offensive coordinator to work for him anymore, nobody wants to be part of that.
LunchTime
All my homies blame the players.

Wilcox is an *******.

The press conference taking absolutely no accountability was one of the ways he could have gone.
01Bear
WalterSobchak said:

Yup. A good leader accepts all the blame and shares all the credit (for success). A bad leader blames others and accepts all the credit.

This is, yet, another reason why Wilcox needs to be booted for cause.
Strykur
01Bear said:

WalterSobchak said:

No coach gets a "for cause" firing unless something heinous is uncovered, and Wilcox is the epitome of a nice fellow who is terrible at this job and therefore gets sympathetic treatment
01Bear
Strykur said:

01Bear said:

WalterSobchak said:

No coach gets a "for cause" firing unless something heinous is uncovered, and Wilcox is the epitome of a nice fellow who is terrible at this job and therefore gets sympathetic treatment

I mean, I know you're right, but there's got to be something! Even Ted Bundy seemed like a nice and charismatic guy when he was anything but nice.
ducky23
So Wilcox is like 6-17 in one score games since 2020. And then hes asked about one score games and he then starts to blame the players? Do I have that right?

So since 2020, all those losses in 1 score games were all the fault of the players? It's not possible it's something more systemic? This guy could not possibly be this stupid.

How hard is it to just look in the mirror and ask yourself, what can I do differently in close games
BearSD
ducky23 said:

So Wilcox is like 6-17 in one score games since 2020. And then hes asked about one score games and he then starts to blame the players? Do I have that right?

So since 2020, all those losses in 1 score games were all the fault of the players? It's not possible it's something more systemic? This guy could not possibly be this stupid.

How hard is it to just look in the mirror and ask yourself, what can I do differently in close games

Well, players have to make plays. They are not immune from blame.

But who recruited those players, either choosing them over other players or failing to recruit better talent? And who makes coaching decisions? Yes, even winning coaches make poor decisions in-game, but they also recruit superior talent that can overcome many of those coaching decisions and still have to accept responsibility for coaching decisions that should have been made differently.
Gobears49
Has anyone ever seen a coach going for two in the first quarter when a kicked extra would tie the game? Very strange. We have a very strange head coach.

people are strange videos

Alkiadt
Gobears49 said:

Has anyone ever seen a coach going for two in the first quarter when a kicked extra would tie the game? Very strange. We have a very strange head coach.

people are strange videos

Chip Kelly did it routinely while at Oregon.
Just answering the question.
dha
Being at the game, I can say I understood the decision to got for 2 after the first TD. I was surprised they did, but could not fault the caches for being aggressive. Pitt had a high scoring offense and were favorites playing at home. Not sure I understood why a trick play was needed, but they had plenty of time to overcome that missed opportunity.

The decision by the OC that was harder fo me to undertstand, was in the drive in Q4 that ended with the missed FG. Mendoza was rolling at that point and then they went conservative Had the ball on the Pitt 25 with 3 minutes left. Three straight runs, including what looked like a designed run by Mendoza that went nowhere. Then even worse, brining in Rogers, facing a 3rd and nine. Everyone in the stadium knew it would be a run. Why not let Mendoza try a pass to keep the drive going - they know Coe is inconsistent - too afraid of a sack?

On the positive side, Endries had a breakout game. Pitt couldn't contain him. He was a beast. Pitt was averaging over 500 yards on offense and Cal's D shut them down in front of a hostile loud crowd on Pitt's home coming day.

The injury to Ott is hurting. We had 40 rushing attempts average 1.6 yards (with the sacks). Cardwell showed some promise hitting the holes quickly. Calloway less so. I don't need to see anymore of Rogers this season, unless they are going to let him throw the ball from time to time. How about giving CJ Morris a shot in run situations - 6'4" 220 -- at least he is a load to bring down.

Let's not be too negative. Lot of close games in college football yesterday. USC, Ohio State, South Carolina, Colorado, all lost games they might have won. We were not expected to beat FSU, Miami and Pitt. But we came close, We can still be bowl eligible given the schedule going forward. Beginning next week with NCState. Go Bears.
cal83dls79
dha said:

Being at the game, I can say I understood the decision to got for 2 after the first TD. I was surprised they did, but could not fault the caches for being aggressive. Pitt had a high scoring offense and were favorites playing at home. Not sure I understood why a trick play was needed, but they had plenty of time to overcome that missed opportunity.

The decision by the OC that was harder fo me to undertstand, was in the drive in Q4 that ended with the missed FG. Mendoza was rolling at that point and then they went conservative Had the ball on the Pitt 25 with 3 minutes left. Three straight runs, including what looked like a designed run by Mendoza that went nowhere. Then even worse, brining in Rogers, facing a 3rd and nine. Everyone in the stadium knew it would be a run. Why not let Mendoza try a pass to keep the drive going - they know Coe is inconsistent - too afraid of a sack?

On the positive side, Endries had a breakout game. Pitt couldn't contain him. He was a beast. Pitt was averaging over 500 yards on offense and Cal's D shut them down in front of a hostile loud crowd on Pitt's home coming day.

The injury to Ott is hurting. We had 40 rushing attempts average 1.6 yards (with the sacks). Cardwell showed some promise hitting the holes quickly. Calloway less so. I don't need to see anymore of Rogers this season, unless they are going to let him throw the ball from time to time. How about giving CJ Morris a shot in run situations - 6'4" 220 -- at least he is a load to bring down.

Let's not be too negative. Lot of close games in college football yesterday. USC, Ohio State, South Carolina, Colorado, all lost games they might have won. We were not expected to beat FSU, Miami and Pitt. But we came close, We can still be bowl eligible given the schedule going forward. Beginning next week with NCState. Go Bears.
sounds positive! I dont think it's possible to be "too negative" after what we've just witnessed. This latest coaching decision ( made by the HC) to drive for a 40 yd field goal with a very shaky kicker, 1:50 on the clock and 3 TO's leaves one with very little hope for change.
dha

sounds positive! I dont think it's possible to be "too negative" after what we've just witnessed. This latest coaching decision ( made by the HC) to drive for a 40 yd field goal with a very shaky kicker, 1:50 on the clock and 3 TO's leaves one with very little hope for change.

That was a bad call, as noted. Even if we had made the FG, Pitt kicker already had made a 58 yarder and Pitt had plenty of time to get in his range. Lack of a running game once we get into the Red Zone really hurts you.

Could be worse, we could be UCLA.
upsetof86
BearSD said:

ducky23 said:

Well, players have to make plays. They are not immune from blame.

But who recruited those players, either choosing them over other players or failing to recruit better talent? And who makes coaching decisions? Yes, even winning coaches make poor decisions in-game, but they also recruit superior talent that can overcome many of those coaching decisions and still have to accept responsibility for coaching decisions that should have been made differently.

Coaches need to train players to perform under PRESSURE. Benched for fumbles, straw hats thrown at you when you mess up in practice (Saban) headsets thrown to the ground when you had brain far"s etc.
Bowlesman80
dha said:

I have to add.
Another upside is that we are competitive versus Top Twenty and/or uber-talented teams this year. Contrast that with just last year.
*waits for rainfall of angry comments.
"Just win, baby."
gobears15
dha said:

IMO the horrendous OL play is hurting us far more than the Ott injury. After 6 games, were ranked 3rd worst (out of 133 FBS teams) sacks allowed, 103rd in rushing offense, and 4th worst in penalties per game (most of which are probably holding and false starts).

We are an absolute mess.
gobears15
Bowlesman80 said:

I have to add.
Another upside is that we are competitive versus Top Twenty and/or uber-talented teams this year. Contrast that with just last year.

Sure, but I can't ignore how bad our fundamentals are on offense. Refer to my previous post for our rankings in sacks allowed, penalties per game, and rushing offense.

Our defense and our DBs in particular have kept us in games. The problem is we're executing at most 1 or 2 consistent offensive drives per game.
Bowlesman80
gobears15 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

I have to add.

Sure, but I can't ignore how bad our fundamentals are on offense. Refer to my previous post for our rankings in sacks allowed, penalties per game, and rushing offense.

Our defense and our DBs in particular have kept us in games. The problem is we're executing at most 1 or 2 consistent offensive drives per game.
Our defense is elite. Yes, they make a huge difference.
Offense is damned good except for the inconsistency of the Oline. Mendoza is getting salty.
"Just win, baby."
oski003
Bowlesman80 said:

gobears15 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

I have to add.

Offense is damned good except for the inconsistency of the Oline. Mendoza is getting salty.

Offense is bad.
Bowlesman80
oski003 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

gobears15 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

I have to add.

Offense is bad.
The points they have scored are not made up. What's hurting is Oline coaching, talent, and depth.
"Just win, baby."
oski003
Bowlesman80 said:

oski003 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

gobears15 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

I have to add.

Offense is bad.
The points they have scored are not made up. What's hurting is Oline coaching, talent, and depth.

We are averaging only 23 points a game and our defense leads the NCAA in interceptions. The offense is not good. We scored 9 points and 15 points in two of our losses.
Bowlesman80
oski003 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

oski003 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

gobears15 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

I have to add.

Offense is bad.

We are averaging only 23 points a game and our defense leads the NCAA in interceptions. The offense is not good. We scored 9 points and 15 points in two of our losses.
The offense has shown great bright spots. Look at how Mendoza has been playmaking, even with less than Jared Goff levels of protection. Look at Jet. To make a blanket statement about how bad they are is not fair to them. Serious questions are arising about Bloesch's OC role. When he was a dedicated Oline coach, last year, we saw significant improvement, while this year, we regressed.
I am trying to be specific in any criticism, so to be constructive.
"Just win, baby."
BearoutEast67
Bowlesman80 said:

oski003 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

oski003 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

gobears15 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

I have to add.

Offense is bad.

The offense has shown great bright spots. Look at how Mendoza has been playmaking, even with less than Jared Goff levels of protection. Look at Jet. To make a blanket statement about how bad they are is not fair to them. Serious questions are arising about Bloesch's OC role. When he was a dedicated Oline coach, last year, we saw significant improvement, while this year, we regressed.

I loved the quick passes over the middle to the TE. Worked repeatedly but less well when the blitzer was never touched. Defense played great and shut down a supposed phenomenal freshman QB. I think Longwell should have kicker practice on varying lengths of grass as well as turf.
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
ducky23
BearoutEast67 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

oski003 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

oski003 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

gobears15 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

I have to add.

Offense is bad.

I loved the quick passes over the middle to the TE. Worked repeatedly but less well when the blitzer was never touched. Defense played great and shut down a supposed phenomenal freshman QB. I think Longwell should have kicker practice on varying lengths of grass as well as turf.

Until our top 2 WRs are back, we really should be running the offense thru the TEs. Both of them are huge mismatches. And Mendoza feels most comfortable throwing in the middle of the field.
Bowlesman80
BearoutEast67 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

oski003 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

oski003 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

gobears15 said:

Bowlesman80 said:

I have to add.

Offense is bad.

Now, that's constructive criticism. I must wonder why we have a history of kickers getting the yips. I am sad to think that Miami and Pitt will prove out overrated.
"Just win, baby."
southseasbear
ducky23 said:

Until our top 2 WRs are back, we really should be running the offense thru the TEs. Both of them are huge mismatches. And Mendoza feels most comfortable throwing in the middle of the field.
Yeah, what's with our top 2 WRs who have not played all season? I assume they are getting NIL money. Now that we are half way through the season, should we consider redshirting them if they can return in time for the 7th game of the season?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.