Hey Dodgers Fans

996,405 Views | 5504 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Big C
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheSouseFamily said:

The Red Sox can enjoy their trophies, spraying champagne all over each other, the parades and the cancelled White House visit but we Dodger fans can celebrate in knowing we made the better decisions according to our proprietary analytics. And that's really what matters.
I weep.....

NYCGOBEARS
LOLOLOLOL
TheSouseFamily
calpoly said:

TheSouseFamily said:

The Red Sox can enjoy their trophies, spraying champagne all over each other, the parades and the cancelled White House visit but we Dodger fans can celebrate in knowing we made the better decisions according to our proprietary analytics. And that's really what matters.
How about great year Red Sox!

I'm obviously being facetious. The Red Sox were clearly the better team and as a Dodger fan, there was never a time when I felt they'd win the Series. They were totally outclassed and that was clear before the Series even began. No team in the National League could go toe-to-toe with an AL team like Boston, NY or HOU. That's just the way it was this year.

I'll gladly celebrate a pennant but the WS trophy is exactly where it ought to be.
NYCGOBEARS
TheSouseFamily said:

calpoly said:

TheSouseFamily said:

I'm obviously being facetious. The Red Sox were clearly the better team and as a Dodger fan, there was never a time when I felt they'd win the Series. They were totally outclassed and that was clear before the Series even began. No team in the National League could go toe-to-toe with an AL team like Boston, NY or HOU. That's just the way it was this year.

I'll gladly celebrate a pennant but the WS trophy is exactly where it ought to be.

That's a classy response.
TheSouseFamily
NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

calpoly said:

TheSouseFamily said:

That's a classy response.

Well thanks but this series didn't really bother me much as this was a result I expected. A far cry from the massive emotional damage done upon me last year.
ColoradoBear
TheSouseFamily said:

calpoly said:

TheSouseFamily said:

No team in the National League could go toe-to-toe with an AL team like Boston, NY or HOU. That's just the way it was this year.

Interestingly, 4 of the top 5 teams in payroll were NL.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/
Big C
sycasey said:

GMP said:

sycasey said:

Congratulations to the Dodgers for another National League pennant and division title.

I can't wait for another ring ceremony.

I was going to make some sort of sarcastic comment about the choking, roll-over-and-play-dead-in-the-post-season Dodgers, but then I realized that I would be hard-pressed to beat this one.
sycasey
Big C said:

sycasey said:

GMP said:

sycasey said:

Congratulations to the Dodgers for another National League pennant and division title.

I was going to make some sort of sarcastic comment about the choking, roll-over-and-play-dead-in-the-post-season Dodgers, but then I realized that I would be hard-pressed to beat this one.
The picture really covers everything.
71Bear
sycasey said:

Big C said:

sycasey said:

GMP said:

sycasey said:

The picture really covers everything.
Beautiful...

Add to that the following statistical comparison...

Bumgarner: World Series record 4-0; 0.25 ERA
Kershaw: World Series record 1-2; 5.40 ERA

Both have had four World Series starts.

sycasey
Dodgers fans grapple with uncomfortable truth: They agree with President Trump

bonsallbear
So..... GMP where are your clues now? Read ESPN article today. Your clueless remark was fake news.
GMP
bonsallbear said:

So..... GMP where are your clues now? Read ESPN article today. Your clueless remark was fake news.
I shouldn't have called you clueless - it was rude, and I sincerely apologize for that.

I read the article. I'm not seeing what you're seeing in it, though. Hill told Roberts to keep an eye on him, and to go "hitter to hitter." and Roberts obviously didn't like what he saw. As the article says, "It just means that we don't know everything, and we never will, which makes everything else, as Roberts himself might say, simply one man's opinion." You, and others, criticized Roberts for pulling Hill when he did, arguing that he was pitching well and should have stayed in. With every pitching change there's chance - yes, maybe Hill could have gotten two or three more outs. Maybe not. It's impossible to know, and ripping a manager for making a change when the pitcher told him to keep an eye on him and go hitter to hitter, before you even know that that's what happened, still seems unfair to me.
bonsallbear
GMP said:

bonsallbear said:

CSo..... GMP where are your clues now? Read ESPN article today. Your clueless remark was fake news.
I shouldn't have called you clueless - it was rude, and I sincerely apologize for that.

I read the article. I'm not seeing what you're seeing in it, though. Hill told Roberts to keep an eye on him, and to go "hitter to hitter." and Roberts obviously didn't like what he saw. As the article says, "It just means that we don't know everything, and we never will, which makes everything else, as Roberts himself might say, simply one man's opinion." You, and others, criticized Roberts for pulling Hill when he did, arguing that he was pitching well and should have stayed in. With every pitching change there's chance - yes, maybe Hill could have gotten two or three more outs. Maybe not. It's impossible to know, and ripping a manager for making a change when the pitcher told him to keep an eye on him and go hitter to hitter, before you even know that that's what happened, still seems unfair to me.

Thank you for your apology. I highly respect that.

Yes, I did rip the manager for his decision. I have been critical of him all season long as to how he manages his pitching staff. Apparently, I'm not the only one. His best choice was to leave Rich Hill in the game. As many have stated, he was pitching quite well and had only given up one hit. Making a pitching change may have been warranted after Boston score a run or two. The odds were that they wouldn't. There was no tomorrow and Roberts made a very poor decision. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dodgers made in managerial change this off-season. Not for just this one offense but the way he has handled his pitching staff this season as well as the debacle from last year's World Series.

Again, I appreciate your apology.
joe amos yaks
Congratulations to Boston.
Truly the best in MLB in 2018.
Resign Freese.

Repeat offense:
LA ss Machado stepping on the Sox 1b heal in the SAT game (1st time against the Brewers).
No complaints from the Bosox bench or was it being handled quietly?
Dump Machado.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
71Bear
bonsallbear said:

GMP said:

bonsallbear said:

CSo..... GMP where are your clues now? Read ESPN article today. Your clueless remark was fake news.

Yes, I did rip the manager for his decision. I have been critical of him all season long as to how he manages his pitching staff. Apparently, I'm not the only one. His best choice was to leave Rich Hill in the game. As many have stated, he was pitching quite well and had only given up one hit. Making a pitching change may have been warranted after Boston score a run or two. The odds were that they wouldn't. There was no tomorrow and Roberts made a very poor decision. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dodgers made in managerial change this off-season. Not for just this one offense but the way he has handled his pitching staff this season as well as the debacle from last year's World Series.

Just curious....

In terms of responsibility, how much leeway does Roberts have? I have read a number of articles that suggest he is simply following the orders given him by his bosses in the front office?

It is my understanding that the Dodgers have taken analytics to a point where the field manager has little say in in-game strategic moves.

I find this an interesting discussion because SF is looking for a "next-gen" head of baseball ops and I am concerned they will go down the same track as LA (an over-reliance on analytics).

I have no problem with analytics in scouting but not in field decisions - of course, I am partial to Bruce Bochy - a master at knowing when the make pitching moves....
bonsallbear
71Bear said:

bonsallbear said:

GMP said:

bonsallbear said:

CCSo..... GMP where are your clues now? Read ESPN article today. Your clueless remark was fake news.

Just curious....

In terms of responsibility, how much leeway does Roberts have? I have read a number of articles that suggest he is simply following the orders given him by his bosses in the front office?

It is my understanding that the Dodgers have taken analytics to a point where the field manager has little say in in-game strategic moves.

I find this an interesting discussion because SF is looking for a "next-gen" head of baseball ops and I am concerned they will go down the same track as LA (an over-reliance on analytics).

I have no problem with analytics in scouting but not in field decisions - of course, I am partial to Bruce Bochy - a master at knowing when the make pitching moves....
LOL who is writing these articles.
82gradDLSdad
Simply, Roberts pulled a Dusty Baker minus giving the game ball to the exiting pitcher. Still can't get over that, Dusty. Maybe it's a Dodger thing.
Anarchistbear
The Dodgers are a puny NL team that would have finished third in the AL East. The only thing Roberts did was kept them from being swept though that's more on Kinsler.
oski003
Anarchistbear said:

The Dodgers are a puny NL team that would have finished third in the AL East. The only thing Roberts did was kept them from being swept though that's more on Kinsler.

Dodgers might not have made the playoffs had the Giants not been such a bunch of awful overpaid babies. It was nice to have such a easy crap team to sweep at the end of the season to get ready for a deep playoff run. Unlike the babies, Dodgers were under the luxury tax this year and can spend some money next year to win it all.
Yogi58
oski003 said:

Anarchistbear said:

Dodgers might not have made the playoffs had the Giants not been such a bunch of awful overpaid babies. It was nice to have such a easy crap team to sweep at the end of the season to get ready for a deep playoff run. Unlike the babies, Dodgers were under the luxury tax this year and can spend some money next year to win it all.
You're the kind of guy that makes me happy that the Dodgers are the butt of so many jokes this week.
71Bear
oski003 said:

Anarchistbear said:

SF was under the CBT limit as well. Only the Red Sox exceeded the target this year. Look for the Yankees to go "all in" for high profile guys.
oski003
Yogi Bear said:

oski003 said:

Anarchistbear said:

You're the kind of guy that makes me happy that the Dodgers are the butt of so many jokes this week.

Giants will eventually be a decent team again, don't worry. Hopefully, they can be more respectable than the 49ers and Raiders have been over the last dozen years.
Bear19
I'm amazed that you guys would rag on LA, especially since the Giants failed so miserably the last two seasons.

News flash: the is a football site for Cal. Not a baseball site for the dodgers. OMG get a life.
Anarchistbear
oski003 said:

Anarchistbear said:

Los Angeles Dodgers 2019 Opening Day Banner: " Won a home game against World Series Champions."
71Bear
oski003 said:

Yogi Bear said:

oski003 said:

Anarchistbear said:

Giants will eventually be a decent team again, don't worry. Hopefully, they can be more respectable than the 49ers and Raiders have been over the last dozen years.
I'm not concerned at all. They have proven they can compete at the highest level. The new boss will bring needed change. I'm hoping it will be Bloom or Ng. We shall see.
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

oski003 said:

Anarchistbear said:

Los Angeles Dodgers 2019 Opening Day Banner: " Won a home game against World Series Champions."

Next banner: "Beat tanking Giants team at end of regular season."
oski003
sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

oski003 said:

Anarchistbear said:

Were the Giants going for the number draft pick again? I didn't know baseball had become basketball. Did they hire Sam Hinkie?
sycasey
oski003 said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

oski003 said:

Anarchistbear said:

Were the Giants going for the number draft pick again? I didn't know baseball had become basketball. Did they hire Sam Hinkie?
They had basically shut down anyone with even a minor injury. Tanking in baseball isn't nearly as extreme as in the NBA, but they were doing a version of it.
phatskwurl
oski003 said:

Anarchistbear said:

Uh the doyers went 10-9 against those "awful overpaid babies" this year. congrats on beating us after our season was already over. Enjoy your division titles
bear945

Apparently Zaidi got a PHD at Cal.

Zaidi asked about moving from A's to Dodgers to #SFGiants: I know friends and family are tired of exchanging wardrobes. I've kind of had a front-row seat for the Giants the last 14 years, being in division the last four years and being across the bay ....
... the last 10, seeing three Giants parades on the local news and hearing my friends complain about how it was messing up their morning commutes. That's my goal. I hope we're messing up people's commutes very soon."

GRRAAH
So Bochy announced his retirement?

Seems he quit about 5 years ago. He will be missed.
sycasey
GRRAAH said:

Seems he quit about 5 years ago.
The Giants were in the playoffs as recently as 2016, so nah?

Anyway, we'll await his Hall of Fame plaque.
GMP
GRRAAH said:

So Bochy announced his retirement?

Seems he quit about 5 years ago. He will be missed.

Still funny.

https://deadspin.com/dodgers-lose-another-one-this-time-to-the-rulebook-5592645
ducky23
I open BI, see this thread got bumped to the top and assumed the giants signed Bryce.

You guys suck!
71Bear
Don Newcombe died today. Baseball fans everywhere mourn his passing. He was a tremendous player and a true pioneer. My condolences to all Dodger fans.
First Page Last Page
Page 112 of 158

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.