Hey Dodgers Fans

1,005,844 Views | 5504 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Big C
Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
philbert said:

Anarchistbear said:

The Astros knew Darvish and had good success against him not just in this series. For a team that is obsessed with analytics it was a bizarre decision. On the other side Hinch completely ignored his "real" bullpen and gave the ball to starting pitchers in the relief role, rode them hard and they came through.
Before the WS: Yu Darvish is 5-5 with a 3.44 ERA in 14 career starts against the Astros and he is 4-1 with a 2.16 ERA in six career starts at Minute Maid Park. He has allowed just one earned run over 14 innings since 2016 at The Juice Box.

But for the numerically minded a wOBA of .340 against this Houston team in 2017 before game 7
Cal8285
NYCGOBEARS said:

Cal8285 said:

71Bear said:

Cal8285 said:

Looperbear said:

Sucks that the franchise that condones racism prevailed over the franchise that did more than any other to defeat racism.
Well, a "franchise" doesn't really get to claim its past actions as its own when the people responsible for those actions were forced out long ago in a nasty coup, and there have been so many changings of the guard that it is irrelevant.

If the Dodgers hadn't lost the claim to what "they" did to intergrate baseball when Branch Rickey was forced out, then they lost it when the took the biggest crap in the history of sports on the fans who supported them through a lot of decades of being crappy, the occasional heartbreak, and most importantly, the integration of baseball. O'Malley even suckered Stoneham into leaving lucrative New York for San Francisco, which would never be the financial windfall that LA is, but all that aside, the O'Malleys deserved no credit for helping defeat racism in baseball, and neither does the current organization.

I won't blame current ownership for some of the many racist decisions made since the franchise moved to LA, those decisions were made by previous owners, but neither should the current franchise get much credit for what they have absolutely nothing to do with.
"which would never be the financial windfall that LA is"...

Forbes most recent ranking of sports franchise values...

LA is valued at 2.75 billion
SF is valued at 2.65 billion

Both are in the Top 20 of all franchises in all sports in the world.

Both play in stadiums that were built and are owned by the franchise and both are completely paid off.

I would suggest that the franchises have both been incredibly successful from a financial point of view.
The Forbes numbers don't really reflect the difference in the kind of windfall LA was versus SF. Forbes does funny things with TV numbers. Forbes doesn't include any real estate values in their valuation. Additionally, in the last sale, McCourt didn't sell all of what O'Malley got in coming to LA, notably the parking lots, so part of the financial windfall of moving to LA has been split up and is no longer part of the Dodgers, but if we're assessing the financial windfall of moving to LA versus SF, that needs to be taken into account.

The quality of management also affects the Forbes numbers a lot, and Giants management over the last 20 years versus the quality of Dodger management over the last 20 years has affected the numbers. The number one reason why the Mets are as low as they are is incompetent management. A New York team with competent management will be more valuable than a San Francisco team. All else equal, the Giants would have been financially better off in New York. The Dodgers got such a good deal to move, they almost certainly benefited financially by abandoning their loyal fans and moving.

Local TV money still favors the Dodgers over the Giants by a lot, although the current deal screwed things up pretty good so far. In terms of how many local fans will show up for games, the Dodgers have a big advantage. Because the Giants have a better park in a better location, they get more tourist attendance, which helps offset the fact that the locals will not attend in the same numbers, and the difference in how many locals will show up is reduced because the Giants have the better park that is more easily accessed by public transit. Another advantage is the Dodgers own their land, the Giants do not. The Giants may own the stadium, they may have a long term land lease, but they don't own the land.

But flip back 60 years, and the Dodgers deal was absurdly more valuable than the Giants. There is a reason why SF came VERY close to losing the Giants twice, once coming within minutes of losing them to Toronto (not 2 seconds like Verlander almost not going to Houston, but less than half an hour). They didn't get land for a stadium, they had a much smaller area to draw from, and a much smaller TV market. Obviously the screw up of the location of the ballpark was a big deal, and hurt the Giants for their first 40 years, but even without that, the Dodgers deal was tons better.

Some factors have changed to help SF, like that 42 years after the move, the Giants got a better stadium in a better location than Dodgers Stadium, and the Silicon Valley boom resulted in a lot more corporate money paying for sponsorships and high end tickets.

Still, the Giants will never be able to be the top payroll team in MLB like the Dodgers can be, because SF will never be the financial windfall for the Giants that LA was for the Dodgers (and one reason why the Forbes value difference is smaller is because LA spends more of the money they get).

Does the Giants Mission Bay development figure into these numbers? I doubt it. That could potentially be a huge game changer.
The Mission Rock project doesn't figure into the numbers -- the Forbes figures ignore real estate values.

I still doubt that value of that project (versus any potential future value of the LA land) overcomes the difference in values of TV deals, but who knows.

And if we're going to consider the Mission Rock project to be part of a "financial windfall" for the Giants moving to SF, we're talking about something that took 40 years to develop. With half a brain, ownership could have done a LOT better in the 40 years from 1958-1998 in New York than they ever could have in SF. The same can't be said of LA versus NY. And luck is a big part of the Mission Rock project getting the Giants money (assuming it happens).

It also is interesting that the McCourt to Guggenheim deal let half of the 260 acres surrounding the ballpark stay with McCourt, then they jointly contributed to a new entity. While it is unclear whether there will ever be any meaningful development of the surrounding area, if there is, the Dodgers will only have half the value as landowners. If we're looking at real estate values as part of the respective values of the franchises, don't exclude McCourt's half from the equation. If the Guggenheim group had paid for everything, their purchase price for the franchise would have been higher.

The deal the Giants made coming to SF didn't get squat in terms of land, the Dodgers got a lot of land. SF was NEVER going to basically GIVE land to the Giants as LA did to the Dodgers. The fact that a subseqeuent owner decided to hold on to half of the land when he sold the team doesn't mean we shouldn't include that value when we look at the deal that the Dodgers got to go to LA got compared to the deal the Giants got to go to SF.

I am very casually acquainted with someone who has been part of ownership since the 1992 purchase from Lurie. He has made clear, when they got the land in the late 1990's, it was for a parking lot, while potential development may have been casually thrown around, it was a fantasy, a pipe dream, the land was needed for a parking lot, that's what they got the land for in the late 1990's. At some point, they realized they had real estate that they could make more valuable, but if the project turns out to create a lot of cash for the team, don't give them credit for incredible foresight, it will have been a lucky turn of events. Forbes doesn't consider it part of the "franchise" value, but, of course, in 2017, owners of sports franchises everywhere are looking at development projects near where they play to be a big part of the investment. If we only considered the value of the sports end of things, the Coliseum site would be best for the A's. But to finance the stadium, they want some of those big development bucks available.

In 1957, the Dodgers got a deal where it made financial sense to leave NYC. In 1957, The Giants got a deal where it made no financial sense to leave NYC. They were snookered. The Stoneham family would have lost a lot less money through the 75 season if they had stayed in New York, almost certainly would have made some, and could have gotten more than $8 million in 1976 for the team if it had been in NYC -- LaBatts was willing to pay $12 million to have the team go to Toronto, but $4M was going to break the SF lease, only $8 million to the Stonehams, and the court made an SF buyer only match that. Franchise values were going up by the year, and surely someone would have paid more than that for a team in NYC (Steinbrenner had paid about $10M a few years earlier).

Things have already changed to make things closer to even, and maybe things will change more in the future. But in 1957, LA was a sweetheart deal, SF was a sucker deal.
TheSouseFamily
I have to say...these are some impressive arguments. I hope some of you are attorneys because you're likely excellent at what you do.

If I've understand correctly, the rivalry rules are as follows:

Rivalry Rule #1: Only current national championships are relevant. Current division/league/conference titles are irrelevant and have no value. Head to head performance and overall comparative performance are also irrelevant in discussing relative merit and/or team value. 2nd place carries the same value as 30th.

Rivalry Rule #2: Absent either team being a current national champion, historical performance comes into play. Per #1, only national championships apply. Total historical accomplishments of national championships are not relevant. Only "recent" national championships apply, with "recent" defined as a period of time of at least 7 years but less than 29 years.

I'm quite glad we had his discussion as I'll now remind my Stanfurd and USC friends that they have absolutely nothing on us Cal Bears. USC's first 10 titles have effectively expired. The 2004 title is in that 7 to 29 year gray area, so that one is admittedly arguable. We also remain on the same level as every other PAC-12 team, which is nice.

It does remind me a bit of the scene from The Jerk when Navin explains to potential carnival "guess my weight" customers what prizes are available:

"Ah, anything in this general area right in here. Anything below the stereo and on this side of the Bicentennial glasses. Anything between the ashtrays and the thimbles. Anything in this three inches. Right in here, this area, that includes the Chiclets but not the erasers."
71Bear
TheSouseFamily said:

Hi I have to say...these are some impressive arguments. I hope some of you are attorneys because you're likely excellent at what you do.

If I've understand correctly, the rivalry rules are as follows:

Rivalry Rule #1: Only current national championships are relevant. Current division/league/conference titles are irrelevant and have no value. Head to head performance and overall comparative performance are also irrelevant in discussing relative merit and/or team value. 2nd place carries the same value as 30th.

Rivalry Rule #2: Absent either team being a current national champion, historical performance comes into play. Per #1, only national championships apply. Total historical accomplishments of national championships are not relevant. Only "recent" national championships apply, with "recent" defined as a period of time of at least 7 years but less than 29 years.

I'm quite glad we had his discussion as I'll now remind my Stanfurd and USC friends that they have absolutely nothing on us Cal Bears. USC's first 10 titles have effectively expired. The 2004 title is in that 7 to 29 year gray area, so that one is admittedly arguable. We also remain on the same level as every other PAC-12 team, which is nice.

It does remind me a bit of the scene from The Jerk when Navin explains to potential carnival "guess my weight" customers what prizes are available:

"Ah, anything in this general area right in here. Anything below the stereo and on this side of the Bicentennial glasses. Anything between the ashtrays and the thimbles. Anything in this three inches. Right in here, this area, that includes the Chiclets but not the erasers."
Just for the record, I never made the "only current national championships are relevant" comment. Why? Because I think it is ridiculous. The essence of the rivalry is that it was born in New York and played out over decades as a borough v. borough argument. Had there been no rivalry in NY, I don't think the Giant v. Dodger rivalry would be anything close to what it is today.

Think in terms of the Red Sox v. Yankees rivalry. It was stoked by the Babe Ruth trade. A topic that burned in the hearts of Sox fans (because they were reminded regularly of it by Yankee fans) until Boston won the World Series in the late 20th C. That curse was broken but the rivalry remains extremely hot.

Rivalries are not manufactured, they simmer over a long period of time until reaching full boil.

Not too worry, the Dodgers have a legit shot at glory next year. The key (IMO) is just tell Kershaw it is June not October when he takes the mound in the post season.
philbert
Anarchistbear said:

philbert said:

Anarchistbear said:

The Astros knew Darvish and had good success against him not just in this series. For a team that is obsessed with analytics it was a bizarre decision. On the other side Hinch completely ignored his "real" bullpen and gave the ball to starting pitchers in the relief role, rode them hard and they came through.
Before the WS: Yu Darvish is 5-5 with a 3.44 ERA in 14 career starts against the Astros and he is 4-1 with a 2.16 ERA in six career starts at Minute Maid Park. He has allowed just one earned run over 14 innings since 2016 at The Juice Box.

But for the numerically minded a wOBA of .340 against this Houston team in 2017 before game 7
What were the numbers before the WS?

In any case, I believe a lot of those decisions aren't made by Roberts. They are scripted with the GM using their algorithms.
bonsallbear
CONGRATULATIONS TO ASTROS. Dodgers take out full page add in Houston chronicle. Well done.
82gradDLSdad
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Flookaside.fbsbx.com%2Flookaside%2Fcrawler%2Fmedia%2F%3Fmedia_id%3D1227317280702466&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FTheCollegeFootballMemes%2F&docid=N5SPzLhasumz6M&tbnid=VnSvsdm83zb-TM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjTpKvVjrLXAhUGTCYKHQLDBzcQMwg5KAAwAA..i&w=900&h=900&bih=512&biw=360&q=College%20football&ved=0ahUKEwjTpKvVjrLXAhUGTCYKHQLDBzcQMwg5KAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

Don't know how to post on mobile so that actual picture shows instead of link. Sorry
rathokan
BearDevil
Japanese phenom Ohtani to Angels. Thought both Gigantes and Doyers had a shot.
ducky23
The real battle between the giants and dodgers will be for Stanton.

It's a little unbelievable to me that the dodgers seem so reluctant to take him. I get that it's a ton of money (and prospects), but you're almost guaranteeing a ring either this year or the year after. It's basically like the dubs adding Durant.
orindabear74
Stanton has already eliminated the Giants from consideration.
sycasey
Dodgers gonna get Stanton, I bet.
ducky23
orindabear74 said:

Not exactly right. He's stated preferences, but reports still say that's "fluid".

Stanton can have all the preferences he wants. But if none of those preferences make a reasonable offer, Stanton will have to choose between giants/cardinals or the marlins. When faced with that choice, he's not staying w the marlins

As of now, there's no indication that the dodgers or any other preferred team is willing to make an offer the marlins are willing to accept. Sure the dodgers could be playing hardball. It's also possible they can't see a way to stay under the luxury tax.

Thus why Stanton's list of teams he's willing to go to is still "fluid"

For what it's worth (as of this morning), Craig mish still has the giants as the second likeliest place Stanton will end up (behind the dodgers of course)
GMP
ducky23 said:

orindabear74 said:

Not exactly right. He's stated preferences, but reports still say that's "fluid".

Stanton can have all the preferences he wants. But if none of those preferences make a reasonable offer, Stanton will have to choose between giants/cardinals or the marlins. When faced with that choice, he's not staying w the marlins

As of now, there's no indication that the dodgers or any other preferred team is willing to make an offer the marlins are willing to accept. Sure the dodgers could be playing hardball. It's also possible they can't see a way to stay under the luxury tax.

For what it's worth (as of this morning), Craig mish still has the giants as the second likeliest place Stanton will end up (behind the dodgers of course)
But if the Dodgers tell him they'll wait a year (to reset their luxury tax penalties), I could see him sticking around until next offseason.
ducky23
GMP said:

ducky23 said:

orindabear74 said:

But if the Dodgers tell him they'll wait a year (to reset their luxury tax penalties), I could see him sticking around until next offseason.

Definitely a possibility.

I'd put the odds right now at 25/75 leaning towards dodgers.

I was hoping that giants getting ohtani could lure Stanton. Now all I can hope is that Stanton doesn't want to spend a single more second in Miami.

If giants can't land Stanton, they should stand pat for this year (meaning don't overpay for jd martinez) and just try to shed as much payroll as possible. And then go all in for Harper.
TheSouseFamily
I didn't even realize the Angles were still around. Go figure.
sycasey
TheSouseFamily said:

I didn't even realize the Angles were still around. Go figure.

Didn't you hear? They're in Los Angeles now.
BearlyCareAnymore
ducky23 said:

It's a little unbelievable to me that the dodgers seem so reluctant to take him. I get that it's a ton of money (and prospects), but you're almost guaranteeing a ring either this year or the year after. It's basically like the dubs adding Durant.
1. He's a great player
2. He's not worth the price. And I say that meaning he is an extremely good player with a ridiculously high price.
3. It doesn't guarantee a ring. He does not have the impact Kevin Durant has (no baseball player does.) Baseball can't be bought the way basketball can.

Anarchistbear
Hitting in ATT ain't slugging
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

Hitting in ATT ain't slugging

It's really most death on lefties, though. Righties do okay. And yes, this does make Barry Bonds' performance extra impressive (even accounting for steroids).
Yogi58
OaktownBear said:

ducky23 said:

1. He's a great player
2. He's not worth the price. And I say that meaning he is an extremely good player with a ridiculously high price.
3. It doesn't guarantee a ring. He does not have the impact Kevin Durant has (no baseball player does.) Baseball can't be bought the way basketball can.
How is basketball bought?
sycasey
Yogi Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

ducky23 said:

1. He's a great player
He means you can instantly get yourself a winning team in basketball just by signing one player. Not so in baseball.
Yogi58
sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

ducky23 said:

1. He's a great player
He means you can instantly get yourself a winning team in basketball just by signing one player. Not so in baseball.
Like who?
sycasey
Yogi Bear said:

sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

ducky23 said:

1. He's a great player
Like who?

LeBron James, for one.
BearlyCareAnymore
Yogi Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

ducky23 said:

1. He's a great player

I don't mean that negatively. I mean if you put together a team like the Warriors did, you win. The outcome of baseball games is just more variable. You can't load up a roster and "guarantee a ring"
Yogi58
sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

Like who?
LeBron James, for one.
The first team that Lebron won championships with, they bought 3 players.

The second team that Lebron joined already had one high level player and they had to trade for another good player for the team to be good. And then even after that, they had to trade for more players beyond that to get to the championship round.

Lebron definitely elevates a team, but he doesn't win singlehandedly.
Yogi58
OaktownBear said:

Yogi Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

ducky23 said:

1. He's a great player
I don't mean that negatively. I mean if you put together a team like the Warriors did, you win. The outcome of baseball games is just more variable. You can't load up a roster and "guarantee a ring"
Yeah, but that roster wasn't bought. 3 of their 4 All-Stars were drafted. The only free agent was Durant.
Rbears
Stanton didn't waive his no trade clause for the giants or cardinals, so he's probably going to the dodgers
philbert
Rbears said:

Stanton didn't waive his no trade clause for the giants or cardinals, so he's probably going to the dodgers
Or maybe the Yanks.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21715106/new-york-yankees-miami-marlins-talking-giancarlo-stanton-deal

sycasey
Yogi Bear said:

sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

Like who?
LeBron James, for one.

The second team that Lebron joined already had one high level player and they had to trade for another good player for the team to be good. And then even after that, they had to trade for more players beyond that to get to the championship round.

I said "winning team," not "championship."
Yogi58
sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

Like who?
LeBron James, for one.

So basketball teams buy players so they can finish 42-40?
ducky23
OaktownBear said:

ducky23 said:

1. He's a great player

Yeah yeah I get that b-ball only has five guys and that in baseball the best team doesn't really end up winning it all that much (see giants '10, '12, '14). This ain't my first rodeo.

But adding Stanton to arguably one of the best regular season teams in history is as close as you're getting to get to really really good odds of winning it all. If the dodgers get Stanton, they will probably be the most heavily favored team to win the ws in recent memory.

As for Stanton being overpriced. Duh. But I'm not sure what better options the giants have right now. They could overpay for Stanton or overpay for Martinez or Cain or Harper next year.

Ideally you blow the giants up and start from scratch. But with the mission rock project, there's a ton of pressure to win now.

You can't open mission rock and have a losing baseball team. So if the giants have to overpay to be competitive, you do it. Cause the better the team, the hipper the area, the more you can charge for rent in mission rock.

You throw 250 million at Stanton and it's bascially an investment in enhancing the value of your real estate portfolio.

Plus the giants just paid down their debt for the park so they have the money. So their thinking is, you gotta spend money to make money.

So while Stanton may be overpriced, the giants are in a very unique position in that it makes financial sense to overpay for a generational talent.
sycasey
Yogi Bear said:

sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

sycasey said:

Yogi Bear said:

Like who?
LeBron James, for one.

So basketball teams buy players so they can finish 42-40?

Don't be obtuse. The point is that a single great basketball player brings a lot more marginal value to his team than a single baseball player can.
Beardog26
Think about your ask there. Obtuse is the guy's middle name.
sycasey
Beardog26 said:

Think about your ask there. Obtuse is the guy's middle name.

I have no one to blame but myself.
First Page Last Page
Page 99 of 158

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.