Hey Dodgers Fans

993,563 Views | 5504 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Big C
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2ndTrumpetBear;842198964 said:

Nice detail having the current video board mimic-ing its '70s-era low-resolution predecessor.

Yeah, I have to admit that is pretty cool.
KoreAmBear
Very bad decision by Donny to go with Ricky Nolasco today. Kevin Kennedy on Dodger talk was saying yesterday that he would go with Greinke because you MUST get to 2-2. Three days rest for these stellar pitchers is nothing. 3-1 with 2 in STL is a bad, bad place to be. Donny was trying to buy an extra game to get to Greinke and Kershaw, but you have to have some urgency now. Nolaso hadn't pitched in a month and down the stretch he was just plain awful (remember that 19-3 game or something against the Giants - he was the starter). If the Dodgers go down 3-1, that probably is it. You are putting your playoff life in the hands of a mediocre starter for many years.
NYCGOBEARS
KoreAmBear;842199167 said:

Very bad decision by Donny to go with Ricky Nolasco today. Kevin Kennedy on Dodger talk was saying yesterday that he would go with Greinke because you MUST get to 2-2. 3-1 with 2 in STL is a bad, bad place. Donny was trying to buy an extra game to get to Greinke and Kershaw, but you have to have some urgency now. Nolaso hadn't pitched in a month and down the stretch he was just plain awful (remember that 19-3 game or something against the Giants - he was the starter). If the Dodgers go down 3-1, that probably is it.

This is EXACTLY what I told my Dodgers loving colleague today.
sycasey
KoreAmBear;842199167 said:

Very bad decision by Donny to go with Ricky Nolasco today. Kevin Kennedy on Dodger talk was saying yesterday that he would go with Greinke because you MUST get to 2-2. Three days rest for these stellar pitchers is nothing. 3-1 with 2 in STL is a bad, bad place to be. Donny was trying to buy an extra game to get to Greinke and Kershaw, but you have to have some urgency now. Nolaso hadn't pitched in a month and down the stretch he was just plain awful (remember that 19-3 game or something against the Giants - he was the starter). If the Dodgers go down 3-1, that probably is it. You are putting your playoff life in the hands of a mediocre starter for many years.

Was there anyone left on the bench to pinch-run for Ethier in the 9th? He basically walked into the double-play when a more able-bodied runner might have been able to extend the inning.

Donnie still seems overmatched as a manager.
GRRAAH
Was at park today...if Gnats could do it, so can we. GO DODGERS!!
sycasey
GRRAAH;842199562 said:

Was at park today...if Gnats could do it, so can we. GO DODGERS!!

Yeah, I think last night the announcers mentioned that the last two times the Cardinals went up 3-1 in a series they wound up losing it. However, both times they had the last two games on the road and this time they will be at home.
beelzebear
Kershaw is starting game #6, so I'm thinking it goes to 7 games.
KoreAmBear
sycasey;842199223 said:

Was there anyone left on the bench to pinch-run for Ethier in the 9th? He basically walked into the double-play when a more able-bodied runner might have been able to extend the inning.

Ya Dee Gordon, who is only on the playoff roster to do EXACTLY that. Still, the starting pitchers may get them over. Kershaw and if they win, Ryu. We would love to replicate what the Giants did last season. Go Doyer!
NYCGOBEARS
KoreAmBear;842199715 said:

We would love to replicate what the Giants did last season. Go Doyer!

Yes, you would! Me? Let's just say that I have many bets hoping for a different outcome...
GB54

Ya Dee Gordon, who is only on the playoff roster to do EXACTLY that. Still, the starting pitchers may get them over. Kershaw and if they win, Ryu. We would love to replicate what the Giants did last season. Go Doyer!

The Dodgers will win. St Louis is not that good-a couple of post steroid hitters. They'll get to Wacha next game. Book it.
YuSeeBerkeley
sycasey;842199223 said:

I was very bummed to hear that Donnie is coming back next season. Questions I'd like to ask him: 1) You do realize that pinch running for AGon cost you game 1, right? 2) Have you always managed as if you were the dog from UP...squirrel! 3) Did you not get the memo that HanRam and Ethier are hurt? Why are you pretending they're 100% and batting them 3rd and 5th in the lineup, respectively?

Having said all that, he's shown a knack for backing into a decent situation. He called for the bunt by Uribe, who sucks at bunting and ended up hitting the 2 run jack against Atlanta. He took Kershaw out after 72 pitches in Game 2 for a pinch hitter, but it worked out because the bullpen didn't allow any runs and because it allowed Kershaw to rest up for his next start while giving him the option to pitch on short rest if needed.

As for the decision to not go with Greinke on short rest for Game 4, I'm ok with that. Greinke has a better chance on full rest. Plus, no matter what either Ryu or Nolasco would've been forced to win on the road. The flip side is had Nolasco held things down, you'd have Greinke and Kershaw to close them out.
sycasey

Yeah, I was thinking about Gordon, but I started watching the game late so wasn't sure if he had already been burned in an earlier inning. Definitely should have pinch-run for Ethier there.
GMP
Hehehehe. Bye bye, Kershaw.
chazzed
Ketshaw is clearly off tonight, but the ump pinched him hard last inning (probably the fateful one)... then calls a strike two inches in off the plate on Mark Ellis. Unfortunate to see inconsistent umping in a playoff game.
LethalFang
Don't worry. Throw more money at the problem.
GB54
Puig's a lot of fun to watch and a great talent but I don't think he knows where he is half the time
sycasey
GB54;842200523 said:

Puig's a lot of fun to watch and a great talent but I don't think he knows where he is half the time

Still makes mistakes by being too hyped-up and over-aggressive. Probably this will go away as he matures, but for some guys it never does (Carl Everett).
BeggarEd
GB54;842199752 said:

The Dodgers will win. St Louis is not that good-a couple of post steroid hitters. They'll get to Wacha next game. Book it.

"Book it."

:|
Richard_Lee
sycasey;842200548 said:

Still makes mistakes by being too hyped-up and over-aggressive. Probably this will go away as he matures, but for some guys it never does (Carl Everett).

Shades of Vladimir Guerrero as young ballplayer. Yasiel Puig will be just fine. He has had less than 1 full season in Major League Baseball, and already he is a dominant force in the middle of a playoff team's lineup.
GB54
BeggarEd;842200551 said:

"Book it."

:|

Ha, it's obvious Bud Selig fixed the whole thing because he thinks St Louis is a bigger TV market than LA. How can there even be a series if we can't see a hundred re-runs of a gimpy Kirk Gibson circling the bases to the dulcet tone of Vin Scully ? My condolences to Gonzo, Nick Punto and Josh Beckett, all excited below at finally joining a champion; the great Carl Crawford, who unfortunately was crying in the bathroom when this picture was taken and of course the loyal and wise Dodger fan base led by Gin Fizz Bear.

2ndTrumpetBear
Disappointing loss for the Dodgers, but I'm still proud of the boys in blue. Especially considering where we were at the beginning of the season. And even more so when you recall just how much Frank McCourt had devastated this team. But congrats go to the Cardinals tonight.

Now boys, relax, heal up to 100%, and we'll see you all next season.
glb78
:rollinglaugh::beer::beer:
NYCGOBEARS
Go Giants!
Cal_Fan2
Wait...what?....This is what you get for a $220 million payroll?...damn, might as well work for BART.
rathokan
grandmastapoop;842200509 said:

Hehehehe. Bye bye, Kershaw.

Kershaw just didn't have it tonight... but he's pitched well this post season and regular season, and he's the guy I wanted on the mound tonight. Cardinals had his number... I guess he can only own one MLB team :acclaim:
LethalFang
They should trade for Pujols and Hamilton. :newnana:
86Oski
To my fellow Giants fans: we need to refrain from gloating and should congratulate LA on a fine season.

To the Dodger fans: Too bad you couldn't get it done. But take heart, you were really good in July and August. In fact, I think I'll contact Magic and suggest that he put "We were really good for part of the regular season" on the championship banner the team will raise at its raucous, only-in-tinsel-town celebration on Opening Day 2014. "That won't fit on the banner," you say? "F*** it," I say. You don't know when a small market team like the Dodgers will be able to celebrate a feat like this again.

Now we can update the list of NL clubs, in order of their most recent pennant:

1. St. Louis 2013
2. San Francisco 2012
3. Philadelphia 2009
4. Colorado 2007
5. Florida 2003
6. Arizona 2001
7. NY Mets 2000
8. Atlanta 1999
9. San Diego 1998
10. Cincinnati 1990
11. Los Angeles 1988
12. Pittsburgh 1979
13. Chicago Cubs 1945
Never won: Washington/Montreal
Never won as NL team: Milwaukee
Won more recently than LA but then switched leagues: Houston (2005)

At least you're ahead of the Pirates and the Cubs.

To avoid any confusion, I was joking in the first paragraph of this post.
SigOtherIsATrojan
86Oski;842200652 said:

To my fellow Giants fans: we need to refrain from gloating and should congratulate LA on a fine season.

To the Dodger fans: Too bad you couldn't get it done. But take heart, you were really good in July and August. In fact, I think I'll contact Magic and suggest that he put "We were really good for part of the regular season" on the championship banner the team will raise at its raucous, only-in-tinsel-town celebration on Opening Day 2014. "That won't fit on the banner," you say? "F*** it," I say. You don't know when a small market team like the Dodgers will be able to celebrate a feat like this again.

1. St. Louis 2013
2. San Francisco 2012
3. Philadelphia 2009
4. Colorado 2007
5. Florida 2003
6. Arizona 2001
7. NY Mets 2000
8. Atlanta 1999
9. San Diego 1998
10. Cincinnati 1990
11. Los Angeles 1988
12. Pittsburgh 1979
13. Chicago Cubs 1945

The Dodgers aren't going anywhere, they're loaded and will retool. Baseball postseason is about luck, total crap shoot. You just put yourself in position to get back to the dance and take another shot.
Cal Panda Bear
Well this is for sure - Vogey didn't choke in a crucial playoff game.
SRBear
Neither did Zito... pitching was great from unlikely sources when it had to be.
Unit2Sucks
Tough break for our Dodger Bear brethren. Even though I root for the other team, I'm sorry for KAB and all the other Dodger fans who frequent this board. I won't say better luck next year, but hopefully we'll all be able to celebrate Cal football wins sooner rather than later!

:beer:
NYCGOBEARS
Unit2Sucks;842200677 said:

Tough break for our Dodger Bear brethren. Even though I root for the other team, I'm sorry for KAB and all the other Dodger fans who frequent this board. I won't say better luck next year, but hopefully we'll all be able to celebrate Cal football wins sooner rather than later!

:beer:

+1 Classy response Unit. Cheers fellow LA Bears!
sycasey
86Oski;842200652 said:

1. St. Louis 2013
2. San Francisco 2012
3. Philadelphia 2009
4. Colorado 2007
5. Florida 2003
6. Arizona 2001
7. NY Mets 2000
8. Atlanta 1999
9. San Diego 1998
10. Cincinnati 1990
11. Los Angeles 1988
12. Pittsburgh 1979
13. Chicago Cubs 1945

This was excellent. :bravo
beelzebear
Indeed, the Dodgers will throw more money at the situation! Need another starter and hold on to Kemp, so he can bat ahead of Puig.
GMP
rathokan;842200620 said:

Kershaw just didn't have it tonight... but he's pitched well this post season and regular season, and he's the guy I wanted on the mound tonight. Cardinals had his number... I guess he can only own one MLB team :acclaim:

Kershaw owns pretty much every NL team. He's a great pitcher. But it was hard not to say something after all the Dodger fans were already designing WS rings in their heads not long ago.
First Page Last Page
Page 31 of 158

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.