Hey Dodgers Fans

1,009,707 Views | 5504 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Big C
89Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GMP said:

89Bear said:

GMP said:

oski003 said:

This thread may eventually die because the Giants won't be good for a long time. Are there any Padres fans here?

Lolll, saving this for 2022 when the Dodgers are old and bad and we win the division.
LOL. Have you looked at how young most of the players are?

Indeed I have. Have you? The average age of the Dodgers' eleven players with the most at bats this year (no one else had over 100): 28.5. In 2022, that would be 30.5. We now know players peak around 26 (people used to think 28).

The pipeline is actually pretty dry for hitters other than Lux (and Lux has certainly not proven himself with a career OPS+ of 74, which is 26% below league average) in 582 plate appearances.

By 2022, Turner will be gone, or 37. Many expect Seager will be gone. Other than Lux, Smith, and Bellinger, every current regular will be either gone or 29-30, if not well into their 30s.

The same goes for the pitching. They have one Top 100 prospect (Gray) who many see as hit or miss. Other than that, from every pitcher with more than 10 IP this year, the average age is 28. In 2022, it'll be 30. May and Buehler should be good. But Urias has a long injury history and no one else on the current roster projects as a starter. The rotation looks in better shape to me than the lineup, but there will still be a lot of question marks in 2022.

Fans think these things last forever. They don't. This run is already approximately 4 years in, if not longer. They've got 2, maybe 3 years left.

Edit: This is not to say they can't or won't fill these holes. They can. But it's no guarantee.

How about pitching: Buehler, Urias, May, Gonsolin, Gonzalez, Graterol,
Hitters: Smith, Bellinger, Betts,, Lux, Rios, Seagar, with Taylor and Muncy only 32, and Pollock way over the hill at 34.
Yeah, that's a terrible group. Bad players and WAAAAY over the hill.
The Giants have the team in two years to beat that?
GMP
oski003 said:

Lux, Rios, Seager, Bellinger, and Will Smith are potential MVP type players 25 and under on the Dodgers.

That core group of young hitters is better than almost every other team in the majors. Your analysis is shoddy and only worthy of a giants fan.

At least you acknowledged that the Dodgers have incredible young pitching talent.

First, Seager is not 25 or under. And Rios and Lux are MVP candidates?! Lol. What a homer. Even Smith is a big stretch. All Star, yes. MVP? Highly doubtful.
chazzed
Congratulations to Kershaw and the Los Angeles Dodgers!
oski003
He is 26. Bitter much? Yes, all of the guys I named have the potential to be MVP caliber.

Gavin Lux is the number two prospect in ALL OF BASEBALL, you moron.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/ranking-2020-mlb-rookies-by-future-value.html
GMP
oski003 said:

He is 26. Bitter much? Yes, all of the guys I named have the potential to be MVP caliber.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/ranking-2020-mlb-rookies-by-future-value.html

LOL. Bro, chill. Hungover or something?

I know Lux is the number 2 prospect. Actually, he was. He graduated out of most prospect lists this year. He's not on MLB's list or FanGraphs' list for that reason.

Lots of top prospects fail though, and Lux has so far been pretty dang bad in about a full season's worth of at bats over two seasons. What does that mean? Hard to know, but calling him MVP caliber right now is pretty laughable.

As for Seager, I suspect he will not return after next year (unless Lux continues to struggle). He'll be 28 and looking for a big deal. Do the Dodgers want to pay him a lot of money for a lot of years for what is typically declining performance at that age for a middle infielder? I don't know (especially if Lux is MVP caliber, as you wildly suggest).
oski003
GMP said:

oski003 said:

I know Lux is the number 2 prospect. Actually, he was. He graduated out of most prospect lists this year. He's not on MLB's list or FanGraphs' list for that reason.

Lots of top prospects fail though, and Lux has so far been pretty dang bad in about a full season's worth of at bats over two seasons. What does that mean? Hard to know, but calling him MVP caliber right now is pretty laughable.

As for Seager, I suspect he will not return after next year (unless Lux continues to struggle). He'll be 28 and looking for a big deal. Do the Dodgers want to pay him a lot of money for a lot of years for what is typically declining performance at that age for a middle infielder? I don't know (especially if Lux is MVP caliber, as you wildly suggest).

You substitute speculation when you want to and have poor reading comprehension at will. Cheers.
GMP
oski003 said:

GMP said:

oski003 said:

You substitute speculation when you want to and have poor reading comprehension at will. Cheers.

We're all speculating. I'm not the one who started this line of speculation, but I am happy to engage in it. It's fun. And if it needles you the morning after your team won a World Series to the point you call a stranger on the internet a moron for pointing out that your top prospect has struggled, all the better.

As for reading comprehension, please tell me what I've misread.
oski003
As for reading comprehension, please tell me what I've misread..

I state
Lux, Rios, Seager, Bellinger, and Will Smith are POTENTIAL MVP type players 25 and under on the Dodgers.

You state
Rios and Lux are MVP candidates?! Lol. What a homer.

I state
Yes, all of the guys I named have the POTENTIAL to be MVP caliber. Gavin Lux is the number two prospect in ALL OF BASEBALL, you moron.

You state
Lots of top prospects fail though, and Lux has so far been pretty dang bad in about a full season's worth of at bats over two seasons. calling him MVP caliber right now is pretty laughable.

Also, I would like to add that Lux is 22 and has had 138 career at bats. Average at-bats in a season is 500+. You are tough to talk to because you obviously twist what I said, create facts, and then predict that the Dodgers playoff MVP is going to leave because, well, you want him to.

FYI, If Lux averaged his stats over an entire season (at 22 years old) his line would be .210 AVG with 20 HRs and 70 RBIs.

GMP
oski003 said:

I state
Lux, Rios, Seager, Bellinger, and Will Smith are POTENTIAL MVP type players 25 and under on the Dodgers.

You state

I state
Yes, all of the guys I named have the POTENTIAL to be MVP caliber. Gavin Lux is the number two prospect in ALL OF BASEBALL, you moron.

You state
Lots of top prospects fail though, and Lux has so far been pretty dang bad in about a full season's worth of at bats over two seasons. calling him MVP caliber right now is pretty laughable.

Also, I would like to add that Lux is 22 and has had 138 career at bats. Average at-bats in a season is 500+. You are tough to talk to because you obviously twist what I said, create facts, and then predict that the Dodgers playoff MVP is going to leave because, well, you want him to.

FYI, If Lux averaged his stats over an entire season (at 22 years old) his line would be .210 AVG with 20 HRs and 70 RBIs.

A few things.

I wasn't twisting. I strongly disagree you can possibly call Lux or Rios even potentially MVP caliber. I wasn't twisting your words and saying you were calling then MVP caliber NOW. It's absolutely homerism to call them potential MVPs, though.

Re Lux: You're correct. I misread his BBREF page and looked at the bottom line, which is his avg over 162, and not his career totals. My bad - he has definitely not had a season's worth of ABs yet and it's too small a sample size to draw many conclusions from. But if you want to know what the Dodgers think of him, I find it interesting though of course not conclusive that they did not have him on the playoff roster (other than the NLDS, in which he got 1 PA, a strikeout). In fact True Blue LA has an article about him from August 5, 2020 discussing how he has a long way to go, and even had a bad spring pre COVID. Again, prospects are prospects. Attributing MVP caliber to any prospect is usually going to end up incorrect.

As for Seager, there was a lot of speculation he might be traded after 2019 and before 2020. If you don't believe me, Google Corey Seager Trade. I have him in a dynasty keeper league so I keep close tabs on him. I am absolutely not talking about him leaving because I am making it up, as you suggest, but because it's been talked about a great deal.
oski003
Interesting perspective. You clarified what you previously meant but then muddled things up a bit again. At the time of those Seager rumors he was underperforming and Lux played Shortstop. Now, Lux plays second base and Seager just won NCLS and World Series MVP. Lux has MVP potential, despite not being on the World Series roster, because, well, the Dodgers are awesome and already crush right handed pitching. My link of Lux as #2 prospect in all of baseball is from last month.
OneTopOneChickenApple
oski003 said:

Interesting perspective. You clarified what you previously meant but then muddled things up a bit again. At the time of those Seager rumors he was underperforming and Lux played Shortstop. Now, Lux plays second base and Seager just won NCLS and World Series MVP. Lux has MVP potential, despite not being on the World Series roster, because, well, the Dodgers are awesome and already crush right handed pitching. My link of Lux as #2 prospect in all of baseball is from last month.
I can see Seager moving to third base after Turner and Lux playing short or second. I'm still not convinced he will be solid major leaguer, though.
89Bear
GMP said:

oski003 said:

I state

You state

I state

You state

A few things.

I wasn't twisting. I strongly disagree you can possibly call Lux or Rios even potentially MVP caliber. I wasn't twisting your words and saying you were calling then MVP caliber NOW. It's absolutely homerism to call them potential MVPs, though.

Re Lux: You're correct. I misread his BBREF page and looked at the bottom line, which is his avg over 162, and not his career totals. My bad - he has definitely not had a season's worth of ABs yet and it's too small a sample size to draw many conclusions from. But if you want to know what the Dodgers think of him, I find it interesting though of course not conclusive that they did not have him on the playoff roster (other than the NLDS, in which he got 1 PA, a strikeout). In fact True Blue LA has an article about him from August 5, 2020 discussing how he has a long way to go, and even had a bad spring pre COVID. Again, prospects are prospects. Attributing MVP caliber to any prospect is usually going to end up incorrect.

As for Seager, there was a lot of speculation he might be traded after 2019 and before 2020. If you don't believe me, Google Corey Seager Trade. I have him in a dynasty keeper league so I keep close tabs on him. I am absolutely not talking about him leaving because I am making it up, as you suggest, but because it's been talked about a great deal.
Funny, but you don't mention that in those Seager discussions they were considering bringing on Lindor, another superstar. Therefore, the team could possibly be strengthened not weakened.
The jury is out on Lux. But recent track records indicate that he will most likely be successful. Dodgers also have another fantastic catching prospect, Ruiz. It is one after another...Baseball insiders have been discussing, on places like espn, that the Dodgers are NOT going away any time soon. You are the outlier.
GMP
89Bear said:

GMP said:

oski003 said:

I state

You state

I state

You state

A few things.

Funny, but you don't mention that in those Seager discussions they were considering bringing on Lindor, another superstar. Therefore, the team could possibly be strengthened not weakened.
The jury is out on Lux. But recent track records indicate that he will most likely be successful. Dodgers also have another fantastic catching prospect, Ruiz. It is one after another...Baseball insiders have been discussing, on places like espn, that the Dodgers are NOT going away any time soon. You are the outlier.

I didn't mention Lindor with Seager because that's not the whole story. And my point from the beginning has been he might not be there in 2022 . I just read a Dodger blog article yesterday about their coming contract crunch and how they might have to let him walk in 2022.

https://dodgersway.com/2020/10/27/dodgers-corey-seager-contract-extension-rumors/

As for Lindor, if they'd have landed him they wouldn't have gotten Mookie. That's a wash, at best.

Calling Ruiz fantastic is premature. I believe he's ranked in the 80s on FanGraphs and the 60s on MLB.com. FanGraphs lists him as "high risk."

As for the Dodgers system, it's been very good - incredible, really. But it's drying up. Just two prospects in the Top 115 on FanGraphs (at which point they stop ranking) and none in the top 50. The story is the same on MLB, with two in the top 100 and none in the Top 60.

As I said earlier, they can always replenish. But I don't care what some talking head says. I'm looking at the rankings and that's what I see. I also note they are no longer ranked in the Top 10. FanGraphs has them 20th MLB at 11.

oski003
No team combines winning in the big leagues and churning out quality young talent like the Dodgers, who have slipped a bit in the rankings because they graduated Dustin May, Tony Gonsolin, Dennis Santana and Edwin Ros this summer. It's the first time L.A. has not been in the top 10 since we started ranking farm systems in 2015.
okaydo
GRRAAH
bearister
Nov. 18, 1966: Koufax calls it quits

"54 years ago today, Sandy Koufax suddenly announced his retirement due to a painfully arthritic elbow. He was only 30 years old.

It's possible his career could have been saved with Tommy John surgery. Unfortunately, that procedure wasn't invented until eight years later.

A tale of two halves: Koufax's career was split in two starkly different halves. In the first, he was a serviceable but unspectacular young starting pitcher; in the second, he cemented a legacy as one of the greatest ever.

Age 1924: Six seasons, zero All-Star selections, 103 games started (36-40 record), five shutouts, 4.10 ERA, 1.428 WHIP, 1959 World Series champion.

Age 2530: Six seasons, six All-Star selections, 211 games started (129-47 record), 35 shutouts, 2.19 ERA, 0.970 WHIP, 5x ERA title, 3x Cy Young, 3x Triple Crown, 1963 NL MVP, 2x World Series champion, 2x World Series MVP, three no-hitters, one perfect game." Axios

The Incomparable Career of Sandy Koufax - The Atlantic

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/10/sandy-koufax/503036/

Sandy Koufax announces his retirement.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
SigOtherIsATrojan
GMP said:

oski003 said:

This thread may eventually die because the Giants won't be good for a long time. Are there any Padres fans here?

Lolll, saving this for 2022 when the Dodgers are old and bad and we win the division.

Saving this for 2022 when this post will be laughed at.
SigOtherIsATrojan
GMP said:

oski003 said:

Lux, Rios, Seager, Bellinger, and Will Smith are potential MVP type players 25 and under on the Dodgers.

That core group of young hitters is better than almost every other team in the majors. Your analysis is shoddy and only worthy of a giants fan.

At least you acknowledged that the Dodgers have incredible young pitching talent.

First, Seager is not 25 or under. And Rios and Lux are MVP candidates?! Lol. What a homer. Even Smith is a big stretch. All Star, yes. MVP? Highly doubtful.

Core of the Dodgers Betts, Bellinger, Seager and will smith are all 28 or younger. Muncy is 30. Turner will be old or gone in 2022. The Dodgers core young pitchers (Buehler, May, Urias and Gonsolin) are all under 26. They have Lux, Ruiz and Gray as well. Plus they have the best FO in baseball. But yeah, I'm sure the giants will pass em (and the Padres) by in 2 years.
GMP
SigOtherIsATrojan said:

GMP said:

oski003 said:

Core of the Dodgers Betts, Bellinger, Seager and will smith are all 28 or younger. Muncy is 30. Turner will be old or gone in 2022. The Dodgers core young pitchers (Buehler, May, Urias and Gonsolin) are all under 26. They have Lux, Ruiz and Gray as well. Plus they have the best FO in baseball. But yeah, I'm sure the giants will pass em (and the Padres) by in 2 years.

Glad we agree on something!
GMP
Snell and now looking like Darvish? Hm.

*the Padres fans have entered the chat*
71Bear
bearister said:

Nov. 18, 1966: Koufax calls it quits

"54 years ago today, Sandy Koufax suddenly announced his retirement due to a painfully arthritic elbow. He was only 30 years old.

It's possible his career could have been saved with Tommy John surgery. Unfortunately, that procedure wasn't invented until eight years later.

A tale of two halves: Koufax's career was split in two starkly different halves. In the first, he was a serviceable but unspectacular young starting pitcher; in the second, he cemented a legacy as one of the greatest ever.

Age 1924: Six seasons, zero All-Star selections, 103 games started (36-40 record), five shutouts, 4.10 ERA, 1.428 WHIP, 1959 World Series champion.

Age 2530: Six seasons, six All-Star selections, 211 games started (129-47 record), 35 shutouts, 2.19 ERA, 0.970 WHIP, 5x ERA title, 3x Cy Young, 3x Triple Crown, 1963 NL MVP, 2x World Series champion, 2x World Series MVP, three no-hitters, one perfect game." Axios

The Incomparable Career of Sandy Koufax - The Atlantic

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/10/sandy-koufax/503036/

Sandy Koufax announces his retirement.

Lincecum and Koufax - a pair linked together by the fact they are the only two pitchers to win multiple World Series championships, multiple Cy Young's and throw multiple no-hitters. Koufax was a special talent but Lincecum was damn good during an all too brief period of time.
71Bear
GMP said:

Snell and now looking like Darvish? Hm.

*the Padres fans have entered the chat*
Yawn, win a World Series and then you can join.....
bonsallbear
Hallelujah
Baez is no longer a Dodger!!
Now with the Astros.
sycasey
bonsallbear said:

Hallelujah
Baez is no longer a Dodger!!
Now with the Astros.
I'm gonna miss that guy.
bonsallbear
Yeah me too about as much as a sharp stick in the eye!
bonsallbear
The rich get richer! Bauer signs with the Dodgers and makes himself the highest paid pitcher in MLB history
GMP
bonsallbear said:

The rich get richer! Bauer signs with the Dodgers and makes himself the highest paid pitcher in MLB history

Should be interesting. That locker room has not exactly enjoyed guys who are noisy and make waves. Also, Bauer's career is very up and down - he was essentially a league average pitcher for 6 years. I got so sick of it I dropped him from my dynasty keeper team. Then he had a great 2018. And then again league average in 2019. Then last year was outrageous, but only 11 starts. Is he worth $85M over two years? If he strings together something like 2018/2020, yes. If he instead is like 2019 and the first six years of his career, it's one of the worst contracts of all time, although short in length.
oski003
GMP said:

bonsallbear said:

Should be interesting. That locker room has not exactly enjoyed guys who are noisy and make waves. Also, Bauer's career is very up and down - he was essentially a league average pitcher for 6 years. I got so sick of it I dropped him from my dynasty keeper team. Then he had a great 2018. And then again league average in 2019. Then last year was outrageous, but only 11 starts. Is he worth $85M over two years? If he strings together something like 2018/2020, yes. If he instead is like 2019 and the first six years of his career, it's one of the worst contracts of all time, although short in length.
With your terrible takes on the Dodgers prospects, I am not surprised you dropped Bauer from your dynasty fantasy team. Perhaps you can have a family member be your general manager?
sycasey
So the Dodgers are basically the Evil Empire Yankees of the late 90s/early 00s now. Gonna buy up all the best players.
oski003
Dodgers are at 225 Million and the Giants are at 140 Million. The Tampa Rays are at 50 Million.
GMP
oski003 said:

GMP said:

bonsallbear said:

With your terrible takes on the Dodgers prospects, I am not surprised you dropped Bauer from your dynasty fantasy team. Perhaps you can have a family member be your general manager?

Lol. Not my best move, not my worst. Here's his ERA+ In the three years before I dropped him:

At the end of July 2017, he had an ERA of 5.25.

He was not exactly lighting the world on fire. And, as I recall, I picked up then-prospect Pete Alonso. Like I said, not my worst move.
89Bear
GMP said:

bonsallbear said:

Team didn't give up anything to get him. Just money. They have LOTS of that...
GMP
89Bear said:

GMP said:

bonsallbear said:

Team didn't give up anything to get him. Just money. They have LOTS of that...

If Bauer stinks and the $85M keeps them from re-signing Seager, would you still feel they hadn't given anything up?
dimitrig

"According to Spotrac's MLB team payroll tracker, Bauer's $40 million salary for the 2021 season is higher than the projected 26-man payroll of the Pittsburgh Pirates ($30 million), Baltimore Orioles ($34.2 million) and Cleveland Indians ($36.5 million)."

To me this just says how incredibly cheap these other teams are.

I mean... what's with those payrolls?!

First Page Last Page
Page 131 of 158

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.