Hey Dodgers Fans

1,009,663 Views | 5504 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Big C
89Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GMP said:

89Bear said:

GMP said:

bonsallbear said:

The rich get richer! Bauer signs with the Dodgers and makes himself the highest paid pitcher in MLB history

Should be interesting. That locker room has not exactly enjoyed guys who are noisy and make waves. Also, Bauer's career is very up and down - he was essentially a league average pitcher for 6 years. I got so sick of it I dropped him from my dynasty keeper team. Then he had a great 2018. And then again league average in 2019. Then last year was outrageous, but only 11 starts. Is he worth $85M over two years? If he strings together something like 2018/2020, yes. If he instead is like 2019 and the first six years of his career, it's one of the worst contracts of all time, although short in length.
Team didn't give up anything to get him. Just money. They have LOTS of that...

If Bauer stinks and the $85M keeps them from re-signing Seager, would you still feel they hadn't given anything up?
If he is really good and the team wins the Series again, would you agree it was worth it? I will take the risk!
oski003
The 2016 draft is proving to be an epic one for the Dodgers. Will Smith is already one of the game's best catchers. Gavin Lux is a budding superstar. Dustin May and Tony Gonsolin were two of the game's best rookies last season. McKinstry has been a revelation. And Raley might be on his way.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31272437/game-1-los-angeles-dodgers-vs-san-diego-padres-lives-hype%3fplatform=amp
calpoly
oski003 said:

The 2016 draft is proving to be an epic one for the Dodgers. Will Smith is already one of the game's best catchers. Gavin Lux is a budding superstar. Dustin May and Tony Gonsolin were two of the game's best rookies last season. McKinstry has been a revelation. And Raley might be on his way.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31272437/game-1-los-angeles-dodgers-vs-san-diego-padres-lives-hype%3fplatform=amp

Please move this topic to the dodgers board!
71Bear
oski003 said:

Hmmmm...

You mean the draft that was overseen by General Manager Farhan Zaidi?
ColoradoBear
71Bear said:

oski003 said:

Hmmmm...

Farhan Zaidi
PhD Economics
University of California Berkeley
oski003
71Bear said:

oski003 said:

Hmmmm...

Sounds huge, like Lebron joining the Lakers. Maybe the giants will be good in five years.
71Bear
oski003 said:

71Bear said:

oski003 said:

Hmmmm...

Sounds huge, like Lebron joining the Lakers. Maybe the giants will be good in five years.
FIve years from when he took the job = 2023. That sounds about right given the amount of talent Zaidi has amassed who will be coming up to the big leagues later this year, in 2022 and 2023 along with tons of cash that will be available to spend on free agents. The Dodgers and Giants are both well run, solid franchises. As fans, we have much to look forward to when both are good at the same time (unlike the last ten 10-12 years, a time in which either SF was good and LA was lousy or LA was good and SF was lousy).
bonsallbear
It's going to be an interesting season. Padres are for real. Are the Giants?
71Bear
bonsallbear said:

San Diego for real? That is laughable. Let's see... 52 years and counting - zero World Series titles.....

As for SF, they are on track for an 75-85 win season. That is in line with expectations. Does that qualify as "for real"? I guess it depends on your definition......
GMP
bonsallbear said:

Interesting time to say this. Giants have a shot to take the division lead this weekend.
GMP
71Bear said:

bonsallbear said:

San Diego for real? That is laughable. Let's see... 52 years and counting - zero World Series titles.....

As for SF, they are on track for an 75-85 win season. That is in line with expectations. Does that qualify as "for real"? I guess it depends on your definition......

75-85 wins? They're on pace for 105 wins. I'm not saying that will happen by any stretch, but that's the pace they are presently at.
71Bear
GMP said:

71Bear said:

bonsallbear said:

75-85 wins? They're on pace for 105 wins. I'm not saying that will happen by any stretch, but that's the pace they are presently at.
Regression to the mean...

They needed a decent start to have a chance to hit their expectation.

GMP
71Bear said:

GMP said:

71Bear said:

bonsallbear said:

As I said - I'm not saying 105 is happening. But 75 is way too low at this point. Something very bad would have to happen. They'd have to finish 62-80. I don't see that.
sycasey
71Bear said:

GMP said:

71Bear said:

bonsallbear said:

It's fine to expect some regression, but what you said is not what "on pace" means.
71Bear
sycasey said:

71Bear said:

GMP said:

71Bear said:

bonsallbear said:

It's fine to expect some regression, but what you said is not what "on pace" means.
"on pace"...

As noted, I believe a fast start was necessary to hit the 75-85 expectation. Given they have had a fast start, they are on pace to achieve the expectation.

One can take the phrase literally or figuratively. I chose the latter.
71Bear
GMP said:

71Bear said:

GMP said:

71Bear said:

bonsallbear said:

As I said - I'm not saying 105 is happening. But 75 is way too low at this point. Something very bad would have to happen. They'd have to finish 62-80. I don't see that.
...and 85 would require a 72-70 finish. That sounds like a reasonable range (between 62-72 wins from this point forward).

Heck, I am a Giants fan. I would love to see them post 105. However, I think it is a year too soon to expect more than 85......

Addendum...

In 2013, SF started off 13-7 and wound up winning 76 games......
GMP
bonsallbear said:

You mean YOUR first place, best record in baseball Giants? It's only April 26, but I'll take it.

Edit: behind in percentage points to KC. I blame Baggarly, who tweeted it first.
sp4149
GMP said:

bonsallbear said:

You mean YOUR first place, best record in baseball Giants? It's only April 26, but I'll take it.
Hey, I live in San Diego and watch the news Daily and the media never stops telling us how the Padres are the best team in baseball, especially after winning 3 out of 4 from the Dodgers. I had heard hat the A's were on a winning streak, but I just assumed that the Giants were in last place as predicted by the sports anchors down here. Imagine my surprise to find out that they were tied with the Dodgers and ahead of the great Padres. I guess you can always seem great if you never mention your rivals.
sandiegobears
"Get off my lawn!" This is a new take sp4149...a guy who lives in San Diego who sarcastically complains that the media here is saying the Padres are the greatest thing since sliced bread. (they in fact may not be) Maybe they shouldn't report it at all? It's not like the Giants media talked about them when they had their run. Can we assume that you'll do the same with Cal when they finally reach the promised land?

Give me a break, I know from past discussions that you are older than me, but my entire life of well over 50 years has been filled with mostly sh*t Padres baseball. If the media wants to talk 24-7 about the Padres here or on ESPN, I'm all for it. Just as I was when Tedford reigned on ESPN and just as I hope they will some day again talk about our Bears. Have some fun with the Padres. Or if you don't like them, support your team. I'm hoping to have fun over the next decade since ownership pretty much didn't give a crap about winning since 1998.

I think it's gonna be a fun year...I hope all 3 teams do well and it comes down to the wire.

And on a pure sports discussion level, I'm not overly impressed with Tingler, the Padres manager. I think that may end up being an issue for them down the line. He's inexperienced and mismanaging the bullpen so far. But when the team hits, they are gonna win some games.
sycasey
GMP said:

bonsallbear said:

I suppose they are now on pace for about 80 wins?
71Bear
sycasey said:

GMP said:

bonsallbear said:

I suppose they are now on pace for about 80 wins?
Well, that is the midpoint of the range I suggested earlier......
NVBear78
GMP said:

bonsallbear said:

Edit: behind in percentage points to KC. I blame Baggarly, who tweeted it first.

+1,000,000. Go Giants!!!
philbert
Giants starting pitching has been amazingly good. Can they keep it up? I doubt that, but will the offense hit better than they have been (last night's 12-0 drubbing notwithstanding)? Probably. However, they are already getting a lot of injuries and it's only April. If they can win during this next stretch of tougher games, I'll start believing.
Larno
Did anyone else on here get screwed by Dish TV when they dropped the Bay Area regional sports network, CBS I think? I switched to Dish after Uverse dropped the Pac 12 network and in general we really like Dish and I would prefer not to change. We don't have Comcast in town but we have Charter/Spectrum and they do carry the Pac 12 network now. So, the upshot is that I have not seen a single Giants game this year, and I have been a loyal fan since 1959. At this point in time I'm just going to wait them out and hope Dish comes to their senses. It's not just the Bay Area as they dropped regional sports networks all across the country. I hope it's just some sort of power play these cable and satellite providers pull from time to time and that eventually they restore the channel. I don't understand why they would alienate so many sports fans.

71Bear
Larno said:

Did anyone else on here get screwed by Dish TV when they dropped the Bay Area regional sports network, CBS I think? I switched to Dish after Uverse dropped the Pac 12 network and in general we really like Dish and I would prefer not to change. We don't have Comcast in town but we have Charter/Spectrum and they do carry the Pac 12 network now. So, the upshot is that I have not seen a single Giants game this year, and I have been a loyal fan since 1959. At this point in time I'm just going to wait them out and hope Dish comes to their senses. It's not just the Bay Area as they dropped regional sports networks all across the country. I hope it's just some sort of power play these cable and satellite providers pull from time to time and that eventually they restore the channel. I don't understand why they would alienate so many sports fans.

Easy answer...

I read an article last week about the battle between DISH and the RSN's. In essence, the number of DISH subscribers who are interested in the RSN's is fairly small. Given the substantial payment DISH is charged by the RSN's to carry their programming, they made a decision cut the RSN's and not worry about the loss of subscribers because the savings from not paying the RSN's far outweighs the loss of revenue from disappearing subscribers.

In other words, it is a simple business decision - gain a dollar and lose fifty cents. You come out ahead every time.

Bottom line: Don't look for the RSN's to return to DISH anytime soon.

okaydo
Man, what happened to Dodger fans?

Larno
71Bear said:

Larno said:

Easy answer...

I read an article last week about the battle between DISH and the RSN's. In essence, the number of DISH subscribers who are interested in the RSN's is fairly small. Given the substantial payment DISH is charged by the RSN's to carry their programming, they made a decision cut the RSN's and not worry about the loss of subscribers because the savings from not paying the RSN's far outweighs the loss of revenue from disappearing subscribers.

In other words, it is a simple business decision - gain a dollar and lose fifty cents. You come out ahead every time.

Bottom line: Don't look for the RSN's to return to DISH anytime soon.

Thanks for the info, I guess. I'll have to evaluate not being able to watch the Giants against making another switch.
dimitrig
okaydo said:

Man, what happened to Dodger fans?

Looks like a pretty typical night at Dodger Stadium.

philbert
philbert said:

Giants starting pitching has been amazingly good. Can they keep it up? I doubt that, but will the offense hit better than they have been (last night's 12-0 drubbing notwithstanding)? Probably. However, they are already getting a lot of injuries and it's only April. If they can win during this next stretch of tougher games, I'll start believing.
Oh, looks like they'll also need to shore up the bullpen to make a serious run.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

Adrian The Cal Bear;841904335 said:

I grew up listening to those 4 so yeah call me a homer. But I think the same can be said on both sides. I find Scully boring.

Maybe but he has saint-like status to Dodger fans and there's a substantial consensus throughout baseball about Vinny's ability and legendary status (more so than people liking guys like Kuiper etc. - not even an issue). I like Jon Miller but I hated listening to him, not just because he's the Giant broadcaster, but I really hate listening to Joe Morgan pontificate.

I love Scully, respect Miller, and loved having a beer with Joe Morgan at the Bear's Lair when I was a student (and I HATED the Bog Red Machine).
82gradDLSdad
philbert said:

philbert said:

Oh, looks like they'll also need to shore up the bullpen to make a serious run.

You are right. Mr. Hanging Slider who closed the blowout win last night needs to go.
71Bear
Happy Birthday, Willie. It was a privilege to receive the opportunity to watch you play (although Dodger fans might not have the same appreciation for those 98 HR's you hit against them).
GMP
Will the Dodgers end May above .500?
dimitrig
GMP said:

Some of their biggest problems right now are on offense and we KNOW they can straighten that out.

The bullpen has been shaky but part of that is because of injuries.

When their bats come alive again (Betts and Seager in particular) a lot of the hand-wringing will be put to rest.

GMP
dimitrig said:

GMP said:

Some of their biggest problems right now are on offense and we KNOW they can straighten that out.

The bullpen has been shaky but part of that is because of injuries.

When their bats come alive again (Betts and Seager in particular) a lot of the hand-wringing will be put to rest.

I agree they will turn it around. But 4-14 in any stretch from a team that talented is shockingly bad.
First Page Last Page
Page 132 of 158

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.