Official Questions About Board Features Thread

53,237 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearForce2
GMP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am getting used to the new format. I think it will take some time, but I will eventually like it a lot. But I do have some questions, and thought it'd be helpful for Admin if we keep it to one thread. Perhaps it can be stickied?

My questions:

(1) The old format had a feature I enjoyed where you clicked that arrow next to the thread title and it took you to the newest post in a thread since the last time you opened that thread. This is especially helpful in a multi-page thread. Does this still exist? Or can it be added? I am not seeing it.

EDIT: I figured it out. For those who haven't, on the far right of each thread title, it says "Last Post: XX m/h" - Click "last post" and it seems to take you to newest-to-you post. I think. I can't tell yet if it's taking me to the newest post or the newest-to-me post.

(2) Can there or will there be more personalization in the future? For example, I prefer more posts per page within a thread (I think the default is 10 and I had mine set to 20). Is that still a feature? Or will it be? I poked around my settings and didn't see it. Same with color scheme. Can we or will we be able to mess around with color scheme? I am colorblind () and sometimes need a little more contrast than we presently have.

So far, so good! Thanks!

LACalFan
Any idea what the letters to the right of the usernames indicate?
Redonkulous Bear
No avatars like on vbulletin format?
ColoradoBear
LACalFan said:

Would guess that the first letter is a ranking tied to the number of posts, while the P means premium subscriber.

Board looks a lot cleaner, though I do miss the hybrid view where things were arranged with indents for separate replies in each thread. Could keep track of conversations better that way.
TheSouseFamily
GMP- Thanks for creating this thread. This will be very useful because there's a lot to learn, it seems. I even gave you a blue star for the effort. I hope you appreciate that.

I too loved the feature that brings you the most recent unread posts in a particular thread. Your fix didn't work for me but perhaps that's because I'm on mobile. If that's a setting, I'd love to use it again because it's really the only way to efficiently get through long threads. Plus, bringing you the last page might make you miss a branch that's happening mid-thread, right?

Seems like a nice improvement aesthetically and functionally once we all figure out the new bells and whistles.
turkey02
TheSouseFamily said:

GMP- Thanks for creating this thread. This will be very useful because there's a lot to learn, it seems. I even gave you a blue star for the effort. I hope you appreciate that.

I too loved the feature that brings you the most recent unread posts in a particular thread. Your fix didn't work for me but perhaps that's because I'm on mobile. If that's a setting, I'd love to use it again because it's really the only way to efficiently get through long threads. Plus, bringing you the last page might make you miss a branch that's happening mid-thread, right?

Seems like a nice improvement aesthetically and functionally once we all figure out the new bells and whistles.
The ability to go directly to the first unread post is critical. I hope that there is a solution for that.
bearister
LACalFan said:

It is the first letter of a personalized nickname they have for each of us to mock us.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
LACalFan
Blue star for you
F5:Brandon
turkey02 said:

TheSouseFamily said:

The ability to go directly to the first unread post is critical. I hope that there is a solution for that.
To go the LAST post of a thread: click on "Last Post: XX m/h" on the right-hand side of the thread title (just under view count).

To go to FIRST UNREAD post of a thread: click the darker grey post count square that appears when new posts occur (since you last viewed the thread).
bearister
Redonkulous Bear said:

When you go to that area where you type in your personal profile info there is a field for a photo. Paste in the image web address of your avatar photo. When you click on a posters name a window opens up showing their avatar, number of posts, and join date.
GMP
Excellent. Thanks, Brandon.
Sure thing!

Also note that the new post indicator will be blue (and not dark grey) if one of the new posts is in reply to you.
Redonkulous Bear
bearister said:

Redonkulous Bear said:

When you go to that area where you type in your personal profile info there is a field for a photo. Paste in the image web address of your avatar photo. When you click on a posters name a window opens up showing their avatar, number of posts, and join date.

Thanks!
http://i.imgur.com/mNs8KsU.jpg
Calfans
Answers to your questions are in the MORE drop menu HELP link

Also, the Stickie post at the top of the boards has answers Getting started on the new Bear Insider forums

Cal-i-for-nia. (Clap, Clap)(Clap, Clap, Clap)

Calfans

These images are linked in the Getting Started post
Cal-i-for-nia. (Clap, Clap)(Clap, Clap, Clap)

Yogi58
Calfans said:

okaydo
Calfans said:

NICE! The "Cal Strong Endorsed" part is a nice touch.
JimSox
Where's all the extra stuff that used to be on the Football Growls page such as the roster broken down by unit? I really liked that. Printed it for a very handy reference to take to the games. Is it there somewhere, and I'm just missing it?
Roster breakdown is here:

https://bearinsider.com/cal-football/depth-chart

Other roster stuff in the Football tab of the main menu.
kaplanfx
Where is chat?

-kap
rkt88edmo
"Staff Only" toggle switch is for?
oskidunker
How do you start a new thread? Not real obvious
rkt88edmo
oskidunker said:

In the forum view at the top of the threads there is a blue and gold bar, the blue part is a "NEW POST" button.

Just like in the thread it is a Post reply button.

There is also a similar button across the bottom of the replies/threads on the page.
bearister
oskidunker said:

Well, how do you?

Also how do you avoid logging in each time because the Remember Me function ain't cutting it any more than the old site.
rkt88edmo
Are you blocking cookies?

Allow the browser to save your login and PW so it auto populates?
Yogi58
bearister said:

oskidunker said:

Well, how do you?

Also how do you avoid logging in each time because the Remember Me function ain't cutting it any more than the old site.
Remember Me worked for me on the old site and also on the new site
bearister said:

oskidunker said:

Well, how do you?

What device are you using - PC, mac, iOS?
GoBears635
nm
GoBears635
okaydo said:

Calfans said:

NICE! The "Cal Strong Endorsed" part is a nice touch.
LOL
JimSox
Calfans said:

JimSox said:

Where's all the extra stuff that used to be on the Football Growls page such as the roster broken down by unit? I really liked that. Printed it for a very handy reference to take to the games. Is it there somewhere, and I'm just missing it?
Here's the sortable roster
http://www.dg42.net/calbears_roster/cal_roster_detail.php?year=2017

I will put the links to the other items after they uploaded to the new site.

Yes, that's it. Thanks!
BearDevil
Will stored private messages eventually migrate or are they gone for good?
PHBear
I'm missing the feature where you can arrow over the title and it showed the first few words, which was a great time saver
bearister
F5:Brandon said:

bearister said:

oskidunker said:

Well, how do you?

What device are you using - PC, mac, iOS?

I stay logged in on PC but not on iPhone even after checking remember me. On iPhone Settings I checked Allow Cookies on Sites I Visit but my log in still won't hold.
ColoradoBear
Calfans said:

These images are linked in the Getting Started post

It would be nice to see the author of last message on the desktop version like in the mobile version. There are some posters I probably won't bother to check on, if you know what I mean.

Plenty of empty space on a actual monitor for this given the formatting. Mobile is much more constricted spacewise, so it's strange to have features there and not on desktop.
blungld
Questions:

1) Is there a way to select "new posts" as there was on the old site so that you see all new posts from all forums in one list? It looks like right now you have to go forum by forum to see posts since the last time you logged on which is sort of a drag.

2) Is there a marked posts as read option so that you make everything appear to have been read (again, like the old boards) so that only new stuff shows as unread?

3) Is there an option to view only new posts so that if you want you don't need to see all posts in a forum and can limit the thread view?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.