Possible game cancellation due to Smoke?

14,472 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by pierrezo
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ducky23 said:

UrsusTexicanus said:

FWIW I took a quick look at a Furd board, and there's some concern about the Oregon game being cancelled.
itll be interesting to see what furd does since they are essentially in the same boat as us.

They host a men's soccer game tomorrow. Whether or not they play that will tell you a lot about where their AD is heading.
GoldenBearofCalifornia
The idea of breathing in that air for 4-5 hours straight at the game just sounds dangerous.
oskidunker
The Wsu Rivals board indicates that Cal feels the winds will shift. Implying they want to play the game(cal)
UrsaMajor
oskidunker said:

The Wsu Rivals board indicates that Cal feels the winds will shift. Implying they want to play the game(cal)
Methinks that's wishful thinking. BAAQB says it's likely to stay the same until at least Saturday.
ColoradoBear
oskidunker said:

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/ca/berkeley/94701?cm_ven=localwx_10day

it's possible the wind shifts according to this, but a swear i looked a few hours ago and the forecast was different (winds more from the north on Friday). Which to me kind of says the prediction could again change.

But this article says winds will likely die, and the smoke will get stuck in place and linger for a while.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Air-quality-California-San-Francisco-Bay-Area-fire-12270727.php

Quote:

The smoky conditions around the Bay are forecast to worsen Thursday, Friday and Saturday as the winds kick up Wednesday night blowing the smoke south. The winds are expected to mellow Thursday and Friday, and the smoke will likely settle.
"This Friday and Saturday could be difficult in terms of air quality," says Tom Flannigan, the public information officer for the Bay Area Air Quality Management District.
"We're going to see a really strong settling of the smoke in the Bay Area on Friday and Saturday," adds Brian Garcia, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service's Bay Area office. "Not to mince words. It's going to be really bad. It's not going to be fun."

oskidunker
If you are traveling any distance to come to this game I would cancel now and try to recover what money you can. It looks like Cal will wait until the last minute to decide. Wsu will be here. Like waiting for lightning to clear.

The game could be fri, sat or Sunday or not at all.

If its played, I will be there with a mask. If it is bad I may not stay long.
BearChemist
oskidunker said:

If you are traveling any distance to come to this game I would cancel now and try to recover what money you can. It looks like Cal will wait until the last minute to decide. Wsu will be here. Like waiting for lightning to clear.

Are you related to antifa? jk jk

But seriously those surgery masks are useless in this condition. What you need is full mask with air filter canisters.
oskidunker
I heard they may protest the game being held
Sebastabear
Was supposed to fly down to So Cal tonight for a meeting. All of the flights out of SFO to my airport just got cancelled. This is ridiculous. If we play this game we may be looking at a mid 80s size crowd (and by that I mean the 1980s, not 80k).
oskidunker
They dont care if no one is there. They want the tv money
upsetof86
Berkeley at 111 currently. It's two days away but I'm betting they play the game.
JadenceBear
BearChemist said:

oskidunker said:

But seriously those surgery masks are useless in this condition. What you need is full mask with air filter canisters.

That's incorrect. While a N95 or P100 mask will certainly be better, a meta study on surgery masks found:
"Based on scientific fit tests and particle penetration tests, surgical masks as cheap as 1 RMB (US$0.15) block between 60-90% of particles. That includes even the really small particles and even while a person is actually wearing it."

source: https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/surgical-masks-surprisingly-effective-pm2-5/
bearister
GoldenBearofCalifornia said:

The idea of breathing in that air for 4-5 hours straight at the game just sounds dangerous.
Not to mention the walk up the hill from the Lower Hearst Parking Structure could be the Last Hurrah for a pensioner.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Grigsby
Got as bad as 225 in Concord today and it was 195 at 6pm
GMP
BearChemist said:

oskidunker said:

Are you related to antifa? jk jk

Yesterday at rush hour, I walked into the BART station in downtown SF next to a guy in one of those masks with the canisters. I know it was because of the smoke, but it was very unsettling!
Bobodeluxe
The Comical says worse air Friday!

So the air will be crystal clear for that sellout!
Blueblood
Bobodeluxe said:

The Comical says worse air Friday!

So the air will be crystal clear for that sellout!

"C'mon you p@$$ies. I'll be there. Don't chicken out!"
BeggarEd
At the "Berkeley Aquatic Park" air station, "PM2.5" levels were in "unhealthy" zone (150+) from about 10a-Noon, but the average for the whole day was around 88.

I'd be surprised if they cancel the game, but what the h3ll do I know.
HighlandDutch
Maybe they'll play the game but not allow fans to attend...one step closer to Larry Scott's dream of playing all games in an empty studio, with no pesky fans to complain about ads or kickoff times.
OdontoBear66
HighlandDutch said:

Maybe they'll play the game but not allow fans to attend...one step closer to Larry Scott's dream of playing all games in an empty studio, with no pesky fans to complain about ads or kickoff times.

Whoops. Home field advantage gone. WSU picks up a quick 3 points.
TheFiatLux
oskidunker said:

I just went outside in San Bruno and the smoke is heavy.. Would not want to be outside today.. Was ok yesterday. Not sure what it is like in Berkeley but it could be bad Friday night.

Wonder what Cal would due if it is deemed unhealthy. The fire is no way close to being contained.

Gee ESPN we wuld have liked to have played Friday night but it just isnt possible.A way to get a bye and stop the bleeding.

A genuine concern for many. What do you think?

On campus yesterday you could NOT see downtown San Francisco or Oakland from the Stadium (I have a class at the Haas Innovation Lab there).

I have football players in two of my classes and they all said practice was impacted by the smoke, breathing was not easy. Water polo players talked about how hard it was, and talking with Kirk yesterday he said it was a concern.

The smoke got FAR worse mid day, and then it seemed to get a little better by evening, but it's bad again this morning.

This is ridiculous, they should postphone this game.
CJ Loves Cal
TheFiatLux said:

oskidunker said:

I just went outside in San Bruno and the smoke is heavy.. Would not want to be outside today.. Was ok yesterday. Not sure what it is like in Berkeley but it could be bad Friday night.

Wonder what Cal would due if it is deemed unhealthy. The fire is no way close to being contained.

Gee ESPN we wuld have liked to have played Friday night but it just isnt possible.A way to get a bye and stop the bleeding.

On campus yesterday you could NOT see downtown San Francisco or Oakland from the Stadium (I have a class at the Haas Innovation Lab there).

I have football players in two of my classes and they all said practice was impacted by the smoke, breathing was not easy. Water polo players talked about how hard it was, and talking with Kirk yesterday he said it was a concern.

The smoke got FAR worse mid day, and then it seemed to get a little better by evening, but it's bad again this morning.

Couldn't agree more.

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/10/12/maps-where-is-wildfire-smoke-worst-in-bay-area/
oskidunker
Cal is proving once again that all that matters is the money. And yhey are probably being intimidated by Larry Scott.
TheFiatLux
cjbarker said:

TheFiatLux said:

oskidunker said:

Couldn't agree more.

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/10/12/maps-where-is-wildfire-smoke-worst-in-bay-area/
And the more i think about it, the more ridiculous I think it is to have Wazzu even have to come down for this.

sp4149
oskidunker said:

Cal is proving once again that all that matters is the money. And THEY are probably being intimidated by Larry Scott.
Or memories of Southern Miss. Cal's shot at the Rose Bowl was lost when they decided not to travel because of a Category 5 hurricane in the Gulf. Southern sports writers roasted the bears for their unilateral decision to stay home, made without consulting Southern Miss first. At the time it was perceived as an insult to the Southern Football culture. At the end of the season Cal barely missed out to Texas; it only took a couple of writers dropping the Bears down a spot in the rankings; there were probably dozens.

If WSU doesn't travel today because of the smoke; I bet it won't affect their ranking, times have changed. just to late for Cal's chance at the Rose Bowl.
bencgilmore
TheFiatLux said:

cjbarker said:

TheFiatLux said:

oskidunker said:

Couldn't agree more.

And the more i think about it, the more ridiculous I think it is to have Wazzu even have to come down for this.

Is WSU just sitting in a hotel already waiting?

you have to wonder which is the bigger pain in the ass... making a trip for no game that gets re-played later or not at all, waiting around til' saturday or sunday, or playing in some smoke. ****ty options all around
TheFiatLux
SadbutTrue999 said:

TheFiatLux said:

cjbarker said:

TheFiatLux said:

oskidunker said:

Couldn't agree more.

Is WSU just sitting in a hotel already waiting?

you have to wonder which is the bigger pain in the ass... making a trip for no game that gets re-played later or not at all, waiting around til' saturday or sunday, or playing in some smoke. ****ty options all around
No Wazzu would fly down tonmorrow. The other option is to simply play the game in Pullman. I realize this causes logistic difficulties but switches like this have been done before. But i am telling you, the smoke on campus was BAD yesterday and the more i think about it, having talked to various players in various sports, it is RIDICULOUS we are making our student athletes practice in these conditions. We have no leadership. None.
oskidunker
Is anyone still planning on going? Will decide tommorrow around 1 pm. Will be in the east bay for something else
bearsandgiants
This is why we need a dome.
socaliganbear
I imagine Stanford is practicing in these conditions? It's really bad in Palo Alto.

Have they announced whether they're cancelling the game or not? Like Cal, they've also tweeted about their upcoming Saturday game.
bearister
https://weather.weatherbug.com/life/air-quality/berkeley-ca-94704
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Son-of-California
FYI-As I was spending the weekend in Windsor, near Santa Rosa I cancelled. Alaska Air gave me 100% refund, no fees, no charges.
BeggarEd
WSU Athletics Twitter account seems to be posting about upcoming game like it's business as usual. I haven't seen any real speculation that the game might be cancelled anywhere other than here.

I think unless the AQI is 200+ at game time, kickoff will proceed as normal:

Quote:

Member schools should consider modifying or canceling outdoor athletic events (practices and competitions) in accordance with AQI guidance. Exposure should be managed more conservatively for student athletes with pre-existing pulmonary or cardiac conditions, which may exacerbate the complications of these conditions and could lead to an acute medical emergency. Specifically, schools should consider removing sensitive athletes from outdoor practice or competition venues at an AQI over 100. At AQIs of over 150, all athletes should be closely monitored. All athletes should be removed from outdoor practice or competition venues at AQIs of 200 or above.

- From: http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/air-quality

BeggarEd
Be thankful you don't live in New Delhi. No massive wildfires there that I am aware of, and have a look at their air quality today:

muddlehead1
Play it in Pullman on Saturday. Next 2 years here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.