My Tweet / Social Re Canceling the Game

21,713 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wifeisafurd
pingpong2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
metabear said:

Can we request anyone not currently in the East Bay to refrain from an opinion about this?

We're literally dying over here.
Someone needs to coin the term "Peninsula privilege"

And yes, it's night and day. It's not so bad here in the city, but in the east bay it's real bad.
metabear
For those who like numbers, we're well into the 170's and the hills possibly higher:
http://50.57.200.217/about-air-quality/current-air-quality/air-monitoring-data?DataViewFormat=daily&DataView=aqi&ParameterId=316
sosheezy
Was it the game winner over U of A that bear-ly snuck in the uprights? I remember we had two that year.
Sebastabear
metabear said:

For those who like numbers, we're well into the 170's and the hills possibly higher:
http://50.57.200.217/about-air-quality/current-air-quality/air-monitoring-data?DataViewFormat=daily&DataView=aqi&ParameterId=316

Right now 177 according to other sites.
Sebastabear
pingpong2 said:

metabear said:

Can we request anyone not currently in the East Bay to refrain from an opinion about this?

And yes, it's night and day. It's not so bad here in the city, but in the east bay it's real bad.
Pretty sure the posters from the Peninsula are on your side. You might want to be casting your net a bit further.
BearlyCareAnymore
wifeisafurd said:

OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

Golden One said:

Yeah, right. Never mind if their regulations are based on sound science or merely emotion and political rhetoric. All regulations are good. I understand your viewpoint, I just strongly disagree with it. To each his own, I guess.
You have yet to provide even one example of BAAQMD imposing overly onerous regulations, in spite of scientific evidence. I guess we're just supposed to take your word for it?

Never mind if his opinions are based on sound science or merely emotion and political rhetoric. All regulations are bad.
To make matters worse, it is CARB that comes up with the regs, BAAQMD only does enforcement so there are no bad regulations from BAAQMD. Pesky facts. The readings on campus have been under 80 at 7:30 every night so far. The Chancellor is trying to get a mobile reader at the stadium for precision, but the predictions for tonight at game time are well below 100. In any event, since this is growls, whatever decision is made is wrong and Cal's fault, and all regulators are tools. Let the hysteria continue.

Edit: You guys do appreciate that UCLA plays night games in September in Pasadena, where the air during the day exceeds standards regularly, but by night time is just fine. And no one gets hysterical.

1. If the readings are 80 we should play. My issue is with the statement that we would play if it didn't reach 200

2. You are talking about two different readings. Smog is an entirely different measure than particulate matter. You are focused on a number. I guarantee you the normal air in Pasadena is not like it was earlier in the week. Calling people hysterical based on a number on a different measure is pretty insensitive. The air board literally called people to warn them
Where did the comment about smog come from. Especially as it pertains to the La Tuna fire. Pasadena has "smog" but the SCAQMD measures what is in the air, including particulate levels, and Pasadena is regularly an non-attainment zone during the day in September for particulates. I can guaranty you in September the air is as bad with respect to specific chemical levels and was worse than Berkley during the La Tuan fire, which was within one mile of the Rose Bowl. Making crap up seems insensitive.

You might want to try reading your own post that I actually responded to. I'm not talking about Pasadena during a fire. You said in September it regularly is worse. I said nothing about a fire.

The AQI has one measurement for ozone and one measurement for particulates. They are entirely separate. Then they report the higher number. You can see this on the website. It is very rare for the particulate number to be higher because cars don't spew particulates any more and factories are much lower. Absolutely Pasadena has higher ozone.

You could have made your point without calling people hysterical and implying we are all wusses. You aren't effing here. Can you get it through your narrow little mind that you might think differently if you actually experienced the situation? Just as a point of order I've been in Beijing in really bad pollution. It's not like I have nothing but pure air to compare this to. You don't know what the hell you are talking about.

As someone else said, can everyone not in the east bay refrain from opinions as to what the east bay is like.
wifeisafurd
pingpong2 said:

metabear said:

Furd just sent e mails saying their game is on.
pingpong2
wifeisafurd said:

pingpong2 said:

metabear said:

Why wouldn't it be? The air on the peninsula has been significantly better than in the east bay.
wifeisafurd
Sebastabear said:

Berkeley showing 172 right now. And totally agree with the above. This is not "smog". Even down here (reading at 115) you can tell this is some nasty stuff to breathe. A bad day of car pollution this ain't.
Okay, let me be technical. EPA calculates the AQI for five major air pollutants regulated by the Clean Air Act: ground-level ozone, particle pollution (also known as particulate matter), carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and nitrogen dioxid. FWIW, smog usually has more ozone, but otherwise the numbers from fire smoke and smog are pretty close, unless their is an unusual fire source like tires. The engineers can provide more technical answers, but the bad stuff your breathing is relatively the same. If Berkley is showing 172 at game time, I don't think the game goes. Usually though, the AQI plummets during evening hours, which is why UCLA can play summer games in Pasadena for example.
metabear
LBNL cam is worth another look:

http://static.lawrencehallofscience.org/scienceview/scienceview.berkeley.edu/html/view/index.php?sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiUz62F_PDMAhVDyRQKHU53D_kQtwIIHjAB&usg=AFQjCNFzr3qigkm4qle0rMQqvd2Zv5vKKg
hehatenate
wifeisafurd said:

Sebastabear said:

Berkeley showing 172 right now. And totally agree with the above. This is not "smog". Even down here (reading at 115) you can tell this is some nasty stuff to breathe. A bad day of car pollution this ain't.
Okay, let me be technical. EPA calculates the AQI for five major air pollutants regulated by the Clean Air Act: ground-level ozone, particle pollution (also known as particulate matter), carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and nitrogen dioxid. FWIW, smog usually has more ozone, but otherwise the numbers from fire smoke and smog are pretty close, unless their is an unusual fire source like tires. The engineers can provide more technical answers, but the bad stuff your breathing is relatively the same. If Berkley is showing 172 at game time, I don't think the game goes. Usually though, the AQI plummets during evening hours, which is why UCLA can play summer games in Pasadena for example.
Does this particulate matter accumulate on your car, to the point that you have to dust it off? Because that's what I've found on my car each day this week, and I live in San Francisco.

I don't know if these numbers fully account for fire smoke vs smog. It's pretty bad here in SF. Just hoping none of our players have any adverse reactions in the name of $$.
socaliganbear
pingpong2 said:

wifeisafurd said:

pingpong2 said:

metabear said:

Why wouldn't it be? The air on the peninsula has been significantly better than in the east bay.

Has it? I've been checking PA and they've been off Berkekey's numbers by like 2 or 3 this week. Looks better today.
pingpong2
socaliganbear said:

pingpong2 said:

wifeisafurd said:

pingpong2 said:

metabear said:

Has it? I've been checking PA and they've been off Berkekey's numbers by like 2 or 3 this week. Looks better today.
I'm not sure what the numbers have been, but in person the difference has been pretty dramatic.

Honestly, I wonder if the people making the decision are just looking at the numbers, or if they're actually experiencing what the air is like on campus.
sycasey
socaliganbear said:

pingpong2 said:

wifeisafurd said:

pingpong2 said:

metabear said:

Today the peninsula had better air, though on other days this week it seemed like it was just as bad.
hehatenate
I commute from SF to the south bay, and on the way home today there was a noticeable difference starting around SFO (as is often the case - i.e. fog in the summer starts there).

You could see sun up to SFO, nothing but smoke and haze north.
socaliganbear
Well, if you didn't look at the numbers, this would look pretty good, right?

metabear
socaliganbear said:

Stock photo.
http://static.lawrencehallofscience.org/scienceview/scienceview.berkeley.edu/html/view/index.php?sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiUz62F_PDMAhVDyRQKHU53D_kQtwIIHjAB&usg=AFQjCNFzr3qigkm4qle0rMQqvd2Zv5vKKg
BearlyCareAnymore
wifeisafurd said:

Sebastabear said:

The number of days that Pasadena exceeded federal standards for particulates in September of the years 2003-2010 was zero.

No not all the "bad stuff" is the same.

The game will go at 172. Cal has made it clear. Again in their latest release they said the area hasn't exceeded the NCAA guidelines (200) all week.

How many times are you going to misspell "Berkeley" on a Cal board?
pingpong2
Quote:

His wife's a furd, just a matter of time before he starts calling us Kal
socaliganbear
metabear said:

socaliganbear said:

Stock photo.
Nope, it's not. It's real.
bearister
First time I have seen the AQI numbers bad in Berkeley but good in WC at 5 pm.

https://weather.weatherbug.com/life/air-quality/berkeley-ca-94704
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
metabear
OaktownBear said:

The number of days that Pasadena exceeded federal standards for particulates in September of the years 2003-2010 was zero.

No not all the "bad stuff" is the same.

The game will go at 172. Cal has made it clear. Again in their latest release they said the area hasn't exceeded the NCAA guidelines (200) all week.

One thing that pops out in all of this is that an NCAA AQI threshold of 200 is way, way out of wack.
ibhoagiesforlife
I'm here in Berkeley now and it seems absolutely fine. It'll be getting better by game time. Certainly a haze on the horizon but the conditions in Berkeley itself don't seem bad at all. I'm glad the game wasn't canceled.
socaliganbear
ibhoagiesforlife said:

I'm here in Berkeley now and it seems absolutely fine. It'll be getting better by game time. Certainly a haze on the horizon but the conditions in Berkeley itself don't seem bad at all. I'm glad the game wasn't canceled.

Not shocking at all.
JadenceBear
OaktownBear said:

The AQI has one measurement for ozone and one measurement for particulates. They are entirely separate. Then they report the higher number. You can see this on the website. It is very rare for the particulate number to be higher because cars don't spew particulates any more and factories are much lower. Absolutely Pasadena has higher ozone.

At least in the Bay Area, the bolded statement is not true. Particulate matter AQI often runs higher the ozone AQI (typically in winter) and is part of the reason why "Spare the Air" in winter focus on particulate matter while in the summer it focuses on zone. See http://www.sparetheair.org/make-a-difference/spare-the-air-every-day
TheFiatLux
ibhoagiesforlife said:

I'm glad you don't mind that the players were exposed to terrible air quality all week in practice, so much so that they commented on how hard it was to breathe, so that the game could go on. That's cool.
socaliganbear
https://instagr.am/p/BaNP6yIl_3n

Not quite End Of Days.
BearlyCareAnymore
JadenceBear said:

OaktownBear said:

At least in the Bay Area, the bolded statement is not true. Particulate matter AQI often runs higher the ozone AQI (typically in winter) and is part of the reason why "Spare the Air" in winter focus on particulate matter while in the summer it focuses on zone. See http://www.sparetheair.org/make-a-difference/spare-the-air-every-day

You are correct. I was thinking more about summer smog. The Bay Area also has a high amount of naturally occurring particulates that are usually fine unless joined with pollutants.
TheFiatLux
socaliganbear said:

https://instagr.am/p/BaNP6yIl_3n

Not quite End Of Days.

Um, you missed the photo from his previous tweet... and even if you didn't you can see how the sunlight is being filtered through smoke... and of course, that pesky 167 #... but eh, as long as it's not apocalyptic, let's play ball!!

socaliganbear
Yes, I saw that. I also saw that he specifically says it's better at the stadium. Which is where the game is, not off in the distance into the horizon.
BearsWiin
bearister said:

First time I have seen the AQI numbers bad in Berkeley but good in WC at 5 pm.

https://weather.weatherbug.com/life/air-quality/berkeley-ca-94704
Not sure how much I would trust this site. It's showing 152 (unhealthy) for the whole Santa Cruz area (SC through Aptos), which is preposterous. Just spent an hour out on the deck with Mrs. BearsWiin and a glass of wine, and neither of us could even smell smoke. Slight red haze, but absolute blue above us.
TheFiatLux
socaliganbear said:

Yes, I saw that. I also saw that he specifically says it's better at the stadium. Which is where the game is, not off in the distance into the horizon.
Luckily the air is static and doesn't move at all. Whew, we've dodge a bullet.
socaliganbear
TheFiatLux said:

socaliganbear said:

Luckily the air is static and doesn't move at all. Whew, we've dodge a bullet.
Considering the AQ has gotten significantly better every single night, yeah, it's a good thing it's not static
Sebastabear
Standing at the stadium. It seems like I'm in a bonfire and feels worse. Much much worse than Palo Alto
sycasey
Here near the campus at La Val's. The air is hazy, but breathable. Seems fine to me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.