My Tweet / Social Re Canceling the Game

21,783 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wifeisafurd
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
metabear said:

Can we request anyone not currently in the East Bay to refrain from an opinion about this?

We're literally dying over here.
I just spent the whole day and evening in Oakland (wish I'd spent the evening in Berkeley). Walked at least two miles outside. Worked out inside my house (no air filtering system). I have felt totally fine all day.

Having once suffered a severe bout of "asthmatic bronchitis" (sickest I have ever felt in my life), I totally get how this could affect people with respiratory problems differently, but I just don't see this being a problem for most folks.

Please tell us who in the East Bay is "literally dying".
sycasey
Cal88 said:

glutton said:

AQI still 163 at 10pm per Weatherbug:

https://weather.weatherbug.com/life/air-quality/berkeley-ca-94704
Berkeley including the hills is showing as a yellow zone ("moderate" air quality, under 100) as of 11pm on the AIRNow map. Same as SF and Marin.

https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.local_city&zipcode=94704&submit=Go

All's well that ends well.

Go Bears!
Let's look at the tale of the tape:

http://50.57.200.217/about-air-quality/current-air-quality/air-monitoring-data?DataViewFormat=daily&DataView=aqi&StartDate=10/13/2017&ParameterId=316

7 PM is "19" on this scale (military time). Oakland East remained in the 160 range, however that station is way out by the Oakland Airport, well south of Berkeley. The closest stations to Memorial are:

Berkeley Aquatic Park: 95 (moderate)
Laney College 141 (unhealthy for sensitive groups, but worth noting that this is in downtown Oakland and near a major freeway exchange, so maybe not representative)
Oakland West: 108 (unhealthy for sensitive groups, but an hour later it dropped to moderate)

The air was fine. It was hazy, but not unsafe. The 160 readings at game time were probably still drawing readings from hours before, as it takes time for the site to report data.

My personal experience was that I did feel out of breath for a little longer than usual after walking up the hill to the stadium (and walking up the stairway to my seat, which is near the top of the bowl), but after an hour or so I'd acclimated and felt fine. Even better when it became clear Cal would win!
Golden One
Strykur said:

It feels fine in the stadium at field level.
Yeah, all this drama and hysteria about air quality for the game is just a bunch of BS. The air quality in the stadium was fine throughout the game tonight. Too bad so many people missed being there for a great game.
Golden One
BearChemist said:

8 pm reading still at 160.
Pure BS. I was there for the game, and the air quality in the stadium was fine.
Yogi58
BearChemist said:

Most recent reading, per the sideline reporter at the beginning of the game, had AQI at 170. My understanding was that Cal was going to have their own air quality monitor at the game, so I presume that is where this figure came from.

It may have cleared later, but it wasn't good at the start of the game. Under the 200 mark they were looking for, but not healthy to be out in and certainly not for an athletic competition. Regardless, the game happened and it was a great sporting moment.
KenBurnski
Kent-how did your social media blitz go?
TheFiatLux
KenBurnski said:

It's Ken. And it did what I wanted it to. I think this was an important issue for us. I thought that based on both the facts and direct conversations with many athletes, who don't have a voice. I also heard from many families, media members and others letting me know they appreciated me raising these concerns. The players have been vocal with me in their support or raising some of these issues. That original tweet up top garnered 57K impressions.

I am very comfortable with my actions and principles on this. I can also be, given that we played the game, estatic we won. You know, this really isn't a competition. Here's the thing, had we loss I'm posiive I wouldn't be getting this reaction. I'm reacting the same no matter the outcome.

I didn't rejoin this site to be on some high horse, or to get into stupid squabbles with people, so I'm sorry if either of those happened. I really am; that's just not fun and we all have better things to do. I came back to the site to share my love of Cal, maybe share some stupid stories that are recessing into the dust bin of history, some photos from around campus, lead a cheer (if even virtual) or two, and to be a positive force.

GO BEARS!
JadenceBear
Yesterday's PM2.5 AQI data: http://50.57.200.217/about-air-quality/current-air-quality/air-monitoring-data?DataViewFormat=daily&DataView=aqi&StartDate=10/13/2017&ParameterId=316

Comparing the data w/ what people were posting (I.E., At 10:09pm, "AQI still 163 at 10pm per Weatherbug:". At 8:35pm, "8 pm reading still at 160", at 7:44pm, "number is now over 170", At 7:36pm, "162") last night I think it's clear that there are syncing issues between BAAQMD and airnow.gov/Weatherbug. The numbers from BAAQMD clearly "trail" the numbers from airnow.gov/Weatherbug. It's unclear if the fault is w/ BAAQMD (E.G., showing the data late and putting it in the wrong time column) or w/ the other sites (E.G., airnow.gov/Weatherbug getting the latest data that is for 2 hours ago and displaying it as current data.) I own and use two air quality monitors daily and I believe it's the later which would be (relatively) good news for the athletes, staff, and fans in attendance last night.

Go Bears!
sycasey
JadenceBear said:

Yesterday's PM2.5 AQI data: http://50.57.200.217/about-air-quality/current-air-quality/air-monitoring-data?DataViewFormat=daily&DataView=aqi&StartDate=10/13/2017&ParameterId=316

Comparing the data w/ what people were posting (I.E., At 10:09pm, "AQI still 163 at 10pm per Weatherbug:". At 8:35pm, "8 pm reading still at 160", at 7:44pm, "number is now over 170", At 7:36pm, "162") last night I think it's clear that there are syncing issues between BAAQMD and airnow.gov/Weatherbug. The numbers from BAAQMD clearly "trail" the numbers from airnow.gov/Weatherbug. It's unclear if the fault is w/ BAAQMD (E.G., showing the data late and putting it in the wrong time column) or w/ the other sites (E.G., airnow.gov/Weatherbug getting the latest data that is for 2 hours ago and displaying it as current data.) I own and use two air quality monitors daily and I believe it's the later which would be (relatively) good news for the athletes, staff, and fans in attendance last night.

Go Bears!
I also suspect people aren't looking at the actual time stamp on the airnow.gov maps. (Weatherbug I think is just pulling the last reported AQI and stamping it with the current time.) The Airnow site clearly lists the times. Here's yesterday's map:

https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.local_city&cityid=315&mapdate=20171013

You can see how that little yellow/orange "bubble" forms around Berkeley and Oakland around 7/8 PM, same as the last few days.

There is no way it was still 170 at game time. Had to be old data.
JadenceBear
sycasey said:

JadenceBear said:

Go Bears!
I also suspect people aren't looking at the actual time stamp on the airnow.gov maps. (Weatherbug I think is just pulling the last reported AQI and stamping it with the current time.) The Airnow site clearly lists the times. Here's yesterday's map:

https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.local_city&cityid=315&mapdate=20171013

You can see how that little yellow/orange "bubble" forms around Berkeley and Oakland around 7/8 PM, same as the last few days.

Your Weatherbug guess is the same as mine. The airnow.gov maps do show a timestamp but they're still consistently showing data ahead of BAAQMD. As I post this airnow.gov is showing a timestamp for 8am while BAAQMD's latest numbers are for 6am.

I somewhat regret not attending the game and bringing my own air quality monitors to personally collect data because then we could have some hard in-stadium numbers to look at. I would've worn a mask though and it felt wrong to enjoy a game w/ the safety of a mask while those providing the entertainment had no such protection.
BearChemist
sycasey said:

JadenceBear said:

Go Bears!

Sadly that's what the ESPN sideline reporter said right before KO. Assuming Cal had monitors in the CMS like Williams said, that's the most accurate reading, not?

And many people including you claimed AQI would be in the 80's range before KO, based on the pattern all week. Sorry, it did not happen. The uncertainty in predicting wind was one of the main point of many posters, and it turned out there was no to less offshore flow last night. All things considered I am still disappointed the game started even the AQI on the field was 170, because the NCAA standard of 200 is bs.

And if anyone wants to use the great win last night to justify the decision and stick it to Ken, sorry I'm done with you because that is in no way a rational statement.
UrsaMajor
Yogi Bear said:

BearChemist said:

Most recent reading, per the sideline reporter at the beginning of the game, had AQI at 170. My understanding was that Cal was going to have their own air quality monitor at the game, so I presume that is where this figure came from.

Did not have a monitor at the stadium because there apparently aren't any portable ones available.
Cal88
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

glutton said:

Berkeley including the hills is showing as a yellow zone ("moderate" air quality, under 100) as of 11pm on the AIRNow map. Same as SF and Marin.

Go Bears!

http://50.57.200.217/about-air-quality/current-air-quality/air-monitoring-data?DataViewFormat=daily&DataView=aqi&StartDate=10/13/2017&ParameterId=316

7 PM is "19" on this scale (military time). Oakland East remained in the 160 range, however that station is way out by the Oakland Airport, well south of Berkeley. The closest stations to Memorial are:

Laney College 141 (unhealthy for sensitive groups, but worth noting that this is in downtown Oakland and near a major freeway exchange, so maybe not representative)
Oakland West: 108 (unhealthy for sensitive groups, but an hour later it dropped to moderate)

The air was fine. It was hazy, but not unsafe. The 160 readings at game time were probably still drawing readings from hours before, as it takes time for the site to report data.

My personal experience was that I did feel out of breath for a little longer than usual after walking up the hill to the stadium (and walking up the stairway to my seat, which is near the top of the bowl), but after an hour or so I'd acclimated and felt fine. Even better when it became clear Cal would win!
Spot on, Sy.

Air quality in Berkeley was fine, conditions were good by the end of the game. I've checked the AQI map after the game and took a snapshot, and uploaded it this morning, here it is:

As you can see, the yellow/moderate zone (under 100) extended to Berkeley deep into the hills, covering MS. The pattern of smoke clearing in the evening did hold up (though not so much in S-E Oakland and southern Alameda Co.)

The decision to hold the game was a rational one, and it was proven to be the right one.
BearChemist
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

glutton said:

Go Bears!

Spot on, Sy.

Air quality in Berkeley was fine, conditions were good by the end of the game. I've checked the AQI map after the game and took a snapshot, here it is:

It's really funny you said this while being at east coast for the entire week... like the espn broadcast of Sidney Bowl from their studio.
wifeisafurd
TheFiatLux said:

KenBurnski said:

It's Ken. And it did what I wanted it to. I think this was an important issue for us. I thought that based on both the facts and direct conversations with many athletes, who don't have a voice. I also heard from many families, media members and others letting me know they appreciated me raising these concerns. The players have been vocal with me in their support or raising some of these issues. That original tweet up top garnered 57K impressions.

I am very comfortable with my actions and principles on this. I can also be, given that we played the game, estatic we won. You know, this really isn't a competition. Here's the thing, had we loss I'm posiive I wouldn't be getting this reaction. I'm reacting the same no matter the outcome.

I didn't rejoin this site to be on some high horse, or to get into stupid squabbles with people, so I'm sorry if either of those happened. I really am; that's just not fun and we all have better things to do. I came back to the site to share my love of Cal, maybe share some stupid stories that are recessing into the dust bin of history, some photos from around campus, lead a cheer (if even virtual) or two, and to be a positive force.

GO BEARS!
Great post. Being part of the Cal community means debating issues and disagreements because we went to a school that taught us to be critical of and question everything. It isn't personal, though I seemed to get called some names and told I was inconsiderate because I viewed the facts differently (by another poster in particular). Ken, I know your true blue and acting wit the best intentions and you keep doing what your doing. May Cal and Cal sports bring us all together.
JadenceBear
UrsaMajor said:

Yogi Bear said:

BearChemist said:

Did not have a monitor at the stadium because there apparently aren't any portable ones available.

PM2.5 was the pollution of concern last night and there are indeed portable monitors for that. The portable ones don't work exactly the same way as the expensive government particulate matter counters but they do strongly correlate. See test data at https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/how-accurate-are-common-particle-counters-comparison-test/. I own the Visual Air Node and Dylos DC1700 and have also found their readings to strongly correlate with the numbers provided by BAAQMD.
Cal88
BearChemist said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

glutton said:

Go Bears!

Spot on, Sy.

Air quality in Berkeley was fine, conditions were good by the end of the game. I've checked the AQI map after the game and took a snapshot, here it is:

It's really funny you said this while being at east coast for the entire week... like the espn broadcast of Sidney Bowl from their studio.
Kind of reminds me of this, lol:

I take it you didn't see the snapshot of the map I've posted above before replying as it didn't upload on my first try...
UrsaMajor
I guess the operative term should be "available to the campus." Maybe you should have given them yours...
sycasey
BearChemist said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

glutton said:

Go Bears!

Spot on, Sy.

I spent the whole day in the East Bay (first at my house in Oakland, then at the game in Berkeley), so I can give you my personal observations. During the day the smoke was almost chokingly thick and definitely correlated with a 160 or 170 AQI. The air at the stadium by game time was not close to that, it was far clearer. Probably correlates more strongly with the 100-ish ratings we saw on the BAAQMD site. I am backed up by the most reliable data we have (ESPN sideline reporter < BAAQMD).

I doubt very much that ESPN had their own portable machines to detect AQI. I strongly suspect they just looked at Weatherbug or something and reported that.
JadenceBear
UrsaMajor said:

I guess the operative term should be "available to the campus." Maybe you should have given them yours...

Do we know for sure whether or not Cal, the NCAA, news crews, etc did or didn't have an air quality monitor in the stadium? I haven't been able to find anything definitive either way.
BearChemist
Cal88 said:

BearChemist said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

glutton said:

Go Bears!

Spot on, Sy.

I take it you didn't see the snapshot of the map I've posted above before replying as it didn't upload on my first try...
Using a snapshot at 11pm is a WEAK argument. If I was your TA you got at most D.
sycasey
B said:

Quote:

Using a snapshot at 11pm is a WEAK argument. If I was your TA you got at most D.
Check out a GIF of the whole day, then:

See what happens between 7-11 PM. The orange circle grows around Berkeley, then a yellow one. That's the air quality getting better during the game. If it had truly been 160 or 170 AQI, that area would have been red.
BearChemist
You don't get to write the homework for Cal88.
sycasey
BearChemist said:

For me it's just about getting the right info out there. People shouldn't think that the air quality was dangerous at the beginning of the game, because it wasn't.
BearChemist
sycasey said:

BearChemist said:

For me it's just about getting the right info out there. People shouldn't think that the air quality was dangerous at the beginning of the game, because it wasn't.
If you just base on your perception that's a subjective matter. Before yesterday you proposed AQI would be in the 80's range before KO. Isn't it sneaky that when the actual AQI from the same source was 160 at 8PM you changed your argument to 'I felt fine after the first quarter'?

Cal (or Pac-12) had to make decision based on the AQI with a absurd 200 threshold. It turned out to be 160-170 at 7pm. Some people claimed they were totally fine, while some people were not. As for another poster who kept throwing out snapshot of Houston or Berkeley's AQI map AFTER the game to justify the game shouldn't have been cancelled, while sitting thousands miles away, he is almost in the troll territory to me.
UrsaMajor
JadenceBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

Do we know for sure whether or not Cal, the NCAA, news crews, etc did or didn't have an air quality monitor in the stadium? I haven't been able to find anything definitive either way.
I just know what Carol Christ told me.
sycasey
BearChemist said:

sycasey said:

BearChemist said:

If you just base on your perception that's a subjective matter. Before yesterday you proposed AQI would be in the 80's range before KO. Isn't it sneaky that when the actual AQI from the same source was 160 at 8PM you changed your argument to 'I felt fine after the first quarter'?

Cal (or Pac-12) had to make decision based on the AQI with a absurd 200 threshold. It turned out to be 160-170 at 7pm. Some people claimed they were totally fine, while some people were not. As for another poster who kept throwing out snapshot of Houston or Berkeley's AQI map AFTER the game to justify the game shouldn't have been cancelled, while sitting thousands miles away, he is almost in the troll territory to me.
What the hell are you talking about?

1. I have provided my subjective perception, however that is not ALL I have provided. I've also referenced data from the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) and the airnow.gov website (which uses the same data, but compiles it into an easy-to-understand, color-coded map).

2. I never promised any specific AQI number by kickoff. Maybe someone else did, but you can go back through all my posts and check. You won't find me predicting a number. What you WILL find is me reminding people that the pattern during the week had been for bad air in the middle of the day that tended to improve after sundown, and that I thought it was likely the pattern would hold on Friday night.

3. I was, in fact, proven right in that assumption. You don't have to rely on my subjective impressions, you can check the numbers from BAAQMD:

Or you can check the map:

4. I have also said that, in fact, the AQI was very likely NOT 160-170 at 7 PM. I contend that those are erroneous claims based on what an ESPN reporter said and also based on second-hand sites like Weatherbug that seem to have been drawing from old data (from hours before). The basis for my contention can be found in the links I provided above. That's first-hand data from the agency tasked with monitoring air quality. They do not show Berkeley with air quality in that range at the time the game started.

If you'd like to argue otherwise, feel free, but don't mischaracterize my remarks. I am making both a subjective argument AND a factual one.
Cal88
Chemist, sorry for not having observed the AQI website during the game, it's not like it nothing was happening then. I went there at the end of the game after that discussion flared up again, and saved the current map picture.

The 11pm snapshot gives you all the info you need though, knowing that you started out at around 160 early in the eve, you could deduct from that one 11pm data point showing a Berkeley AQI under 100 that the air quality was improving steadily throughout the game. The GIF Sy posted is precisely what you'd expect given those two endpoints. So I'd better get at least an A- there, otherwise I'm going to make a big fuss at Latimer...

This was a pretty interesting crash course on air quality across the world. Orange to red AQI levels (100-200) is a regular occurrence in many parts of the industrialized world, not just in Asia, but also in W. Europe, along the most populated axes (northern Italy, the Rhone Valley, Madrid...) Yet I don't recall of any soccer game ever getting cancelled due to poor air quality...

http://aqicn.org/map/europe/#@g/50.0626/15.7214/6z

Golden One
Cal88 said:

The decision to hold the game was a rational one, and it was proven to be the right one.
Exactly. Funny how folks who weren't even there last night are the ones making most of the noise about atmospheric conditions they didn't even experience.
JadenceBear
UrsaMajor said:

JadenceBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

What did Carol Christ tell you?
wifeisafurd
JadenceBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

JadenceBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

What did Carol Christ tell you?
Defense wins games. She also said she looked forward to holding the damn axe.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.