My Tweet / Social Re Canceling the Game

22,055 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wifeisafurd
TheFiatLux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sebastabear said:

Standing at the stadium. It seems like I'm in a bonfire and feels worse. Much much worse than Palo Alto
This was just posted on my facebook page by a player's parent:

Quote:

Thank You Ken Montgomery I was in Berkeley all day and was feeling sick so I had to come home. My son XXXXX was telling me how bad it was breathing the air at practice the whole week.

Yet, people will still defend this. (And why are you there???? )
socaltownie
By frame of reference I believe BOTH during the Witch creek and the cedar fire the Chargers moved the game. Not sure about SDSU. Anyway, go bears.
Sebastabear
There are maybe 15 people at this game. Most of them on Growls
Sebastabear
Just ran into the Chancellor. Make that 16 people
metabear
Sebastabear said:

You are in the stadium? Take a pic and post if you can. tx.
bearister
170 now. Clearly no wind to blow it East of the Caldecott Tunnel.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
gobears725
well at least Chancellor Christ showed. If you're going to give this game the green light, then you better be out there.
socaliganbear
Sebastabear said:

Ask her how fundraising's going lol
metabear
bearister said:

170 now. Clearly no wind to blow it East of the Caldecott Tunnel.
It is indeed 170 and it's criminal to proceed.
BearChemist
It feels not so bad at North Berkeley like the last few days at this time. But hey the AQI is still at 170 at 6 pm, what do I know.
Strykur
It feels fine in the stadium at field level.
metabear
BearChemist said:

It feels not so bad at North Berkeley like the last few days at this time. But hey the AQI is still at 170 at 6 pm, what do I know.
Stockholm syndrome.
B.A. Bearacus
BChem, wonder if you've acclimated to it a bit, to the extent that's possible? Maybe more of a factor tnite for WSU for this reason? Wonderin' out loud.
bearister
gobears725 said:

well at least Chancellor Christ showed. If you're going to give this game the green light, then you better be out there.

Tombstone inscription: " She died doing what she loved."
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearChemist
B.A. Bearacus said:

BChem, wonder if you've acclimated to it a bit, to the extent that's possible? Maybe more of a factor tnite for WSU for this reason? Wonderin' out loud.
If anything my head is heavier today after four days of acclimation....
metabear
BearChemist said:

If anything my head is heavier today after four days of acclimation....
No kidding. I've had a headache all dang day.
B.A. Bearacus
This person posted this 17min ago...

BearChemist
Laird is out of the game per twitter.
metabear
B.A. Bearacus said:

This person posted this 17min ago...

Never actually have used the following but ....OMG!
wifeisafurd
OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Sebastabear said:

Berkeley showing 172 right now. And totally agree with the above. This is not "smog". Even down here (reading at 115) you can tell this is some nasty stuff to breathe. A bad day of car pollution this ain't.
Okay, let me be technical. EPA calculates the AQI for five major air pollutants regulated by the Clean Air Act: ground-level ozone, particle pollution (also known as particulate matter), carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and nitrogen dioxid. FWIW, smog usually has more ozone, but otherwise the numbers from fire smoke and smog are pretty close, unless their is an unusual fire source like tires. The engineers can provide more technical answers, but the bad stuff your breathing is relatively the same. If Berkley is showing 172 at game time, I don't think the game goes. Usually though, the AQI plummets during evening hours, which is why UCLA can play summer games in Pasadena for example.

The number of days that Pasadena exceeded federal standards for particulates in September of the years 2003-2010 was zero.

No not all the "bad stuff" is the same.

The game will go at 172. Cal has made it clear. Again in their latest release they said the area hasn't exceeded the NCAA guidelines (200) all week.

How many times are you going to misspell "Berkeley" on a Cal board?
Well that is interesting selection of data.

Emissions in the basin shows significant improvements, partially in 2007-11 when the he economy shrank and emissions fell during the Great Recession. In any event, as Pasadena's own CEQA documents show that Pasadena metropolitan area exceeds the 200 standard 8 to 15 days in September over the last 10 years. BTW, in July and August it exceeds the 200 standard on average 24 days and on average 107 days a year. Why the disconnect? My guess is youooked at the 8 hour standards, rather than if the standards were exceeded on a given day. Look,

1) Cal has nothing to do with calling the game, it is following conference protocols
2) The local agency doesn't even produce the standards you think are BS, yet you blame them and say their standard are arbitrary. Yet the CARB standards are used essentially everywhere, including by the conference and most states,
3 Like it or not, there is a lot of scientific evidence to back up the standards that are being used.

If you infer that your a wussy, that isn't my problem.

BTW, I don't get all upset about deserved insults re: my spelling, and call you names. Enjoy the game. Go Bears!
BearChemist
7pm AQI is out: Compared to last couple days <120 it still remain at 162. Though people promised it would go down to 80 tonight at KO. Guess what, we are Cal and we got no off shore flow on gameday like this.

JadenceBear
BearChemist said:

7pm AQI is out: Compared to last couple days <120 it still remain at 162. Though people promised it would go down to 80 tonight at KO. Guess what, we are Cal and we got no off shore flow on gameday like this.

Where are you getting data for 7pm at 7:35pm?

As far as I'm aware BAAQMD provides the AQI data for the Bay Area to all the different websites (including airnow.gov) and their data is delayed by a couple hours. Many of the sites list the current time rather than the time for the data so it can be confusing.

As I write this BAAQMD's most recent numbers are for 5pm. http://50.57.200.217/about-air-quality/current-air-quality/air-monitoring-data?DataViewFormat=daily&DataView=aqi&StartDate=&ParameterId=316
BearChemist
JadenceBear said:

BearChemist said:

As far as I'm aware BAAQMD provides the AQI data for the Bay Area to all the different websites (including airnow.gov) and their data is delayed by a couple hours. Many of the sites list the current time rather than the time for the data so it can be confusing.

As I write this BAAQMD's most recent numbers are for 5pm. http://50.57.200.217/about-air-quality/current-air-quality/air-monitoring-data?DataViewFormat=daily&DataView=aqi&StartDate=&ParameterId=316
https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.local_city&zipcode=94704&submit=Go

Usually 30-40 min delay.
wifeisafurd
JadenceBear said:

BearChemist said:

number is now over 170 and TV said there is worse air ahead. Given the standards, they really ned to rethink proceeding. Usual drop didn't occur. Only at Cal.
TheFiatLux
wifeisafurd said:

JadenceBear said:

BearChemist said:

number is now over 170 and TV said there is worse air ahead. Given the standards, they really ned to rethink proceeding. Usual drop didn't occur. Only at Cal.
Great PR for Cal. ESPN shows smoke wafting in through the lights. Empty stadium. Fans in surgical masks. Hey, don't you want to send your kid here?
LACalFan
wifeisafurd said:

JadenceBear said:

BearChemist said:

let's do the right thing, cancel the game now and walk away with the W.
TheSouseFamily
TheFiatLux said:

wifeisafurd said:

JadenceBear said:

BearChemist said:

Great PR for Cal. ESPN shows smoke wafting in through the lights. Empty stadium. Fans in surgical masks. Hey, don't you want to send your kid here?

I'm more than ok with losing any kid (and his family) who decides that they can't attend Cal because of this.
TheFiatLux
TheSouseFamily said:

TheFiatLux said:

wifeisafurd said:

JadenceBear said:

BearChemist said:

I'm more than ok with losing any kid (and his family) who decides that they can't attend Cal because of this.
I am sure plenty of kids, and their families, will oblige you.
BearChemist
8 pm reading still at 160.
glutton
AQI still 163 at 10pm per Weatherbug:

https://weather.weatherbug.com/life/air-quality/berkeley-ca-94704
KenBurnski
Lol.
Alkiadt
TheFiatLux said:

wifeisafurd said:

JadenceBear said:

BearChemist said:

Oh STFU already.
The best win I have seen in decades.
Everybody had a good time
Go smoke a camel jackass.
wifeisafurd
TheFiatLux said:

wifeisafurd said:

JadenceBear said:

BearChemist said:

ESPN stated off SportCetner with victory. Great PR. Didn't look like the air stopped Cal's defense.
CaliforniaEternal
Exhibit A for sincere but ultimately unnecessary and counterproductive activism.
Cal88
glutton said:

AQI still 163 at 10pm per Weatherbug:

https://weather.weatherbug.com/life/air-quality/berkeley-ca-94704
Berkeley including the hills is showing as a yellow zone ("moderate" air quality, under 100) as of 11pm on the AIRNow map. Same as SF and Marin.

https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.local_city&zipcode=94704&submit=Go

All's well that ends well.

Go Bears!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.