My Tweet / Social Re Canceling the Game

21,496 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wifeisafurd
TheFiatLux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know how much this annoys grandmasterpoop, :-) so sorry to do that annoying thing when you start a new thread when one on topic exists, but I think this needs to be seen.

I have started socialing out about this. It would be good if others could too. Hashtag or add handles where you can.

https://instagr.am/p/BaJ0zy5hQkq
oskidunker
Good for you, David.
SRBear
Shouldn't you be including Pac 12 offices and Larry Scott in particular in your tweet? Maybe they should be forced to walk up and down tightwad during the game so they can experience the air quality in the same way the athletes will.
Blueblood
TheFiatLux
SRBear said:

Shouldn't you be including Pac 12 offices and Larry Scott in particular in your tweet? Maybe they should be forced to walk up and down tightwad during the game so they can experience the air quality in the same way the athletes will.
Retweet it and tag them! Absolutely, i did include @Pac12 in my tweet.
Mama Bear
Received this alert just now:

The Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) is extending a health advisory and Spare the Air Alert.

Very unhealthy air quality from the wildfires in the North Bay is causing unprecedented levels of air pollution throughout the Bay Area. Due to active wildfires and changing wind patterns, air quality could be impacted for many days to come. Outside of the active fire areas, air quality will be variable and unpredictable. Air quality may improve at times or get worse, very quickly.

It is imperative that Bay Area residents protect their health. If...Rea

We are in Marin, smoke in air, can't see hills. A no go decision should be made both for the health of our athletes, not to mention the spectators.

I'll email same info to Pac-12.
88bear88
Forecast for wind speed and direction for tomorrow at 5 pm. Looks like winds continuing out of the north which pushes all the smoke and ash towards Berkeley will continue right up to game time tomorrow:

Link to map here: http://www.intellicast.com/National/Wind/WINDcast.aspx?region=sfo
bearister
Played golf in Pleasanton on Tuesday. Although the air didn't smell smokey, I had pretty significant chest congestion on Wednesday. I saw on the news it can take up to 36 hours for symptoms to kick in after exposure. I can't imagine how someone exerting themselves playing football in this air would feel. In light of recent events at Cal, a legal issue looms if any player suffers severe consequences.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
ColoradoBear
One thing I will add is that AQI is just a contrived number made up of a few somewhat arbitrarily weighted components. Who really knows whether smoke (through PM25) should be weighted as it is versus ozone. AQI is typically used for urban emissions like car emissions or factory emissions... I don't know how one can really say X amount of PM2.5 equivalent of Y amount of ozone, but that is essentially what AQI is doing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_quality_index

I don't think one can truly estimate air quality danger with one number. AQI components appear to be normalized by EPA defined 'breakpoints', but damage to the lungs is not going to be linear with time/exertion level and will vary with all sorts of other factors that vary between people.

That said, Larry Scott does live and work in the Bay Area. He looks to be in good shape and takes care of himself, so If he can run 10km tomorrow afternoon, I say play the game no problem. If he starts to hack up a lung, then it's gotta be called off.

If it looks like the above photos on Friday, I'd guess there will be lasting effects on some players, and others will be fine. It's not like Cal is going to be making any significant money on this game (outside of TV). Another poster has stated 22k seats have been sold, and I'd guess fewer show up if it smells like a fireplace. The question is how much time is needed and what kind of negotiations would be required to move to a smaller D1 stadium even as far away as SLO or Reno. Give ESPN what they want, give WSU a game so it doesn't afffect the P12 north standings and move on. Who cares if we give up the most unpleasant home game ever?
sycasey
88bear88 said:

Forecast for wind speed and direction for tomorrow at 5 pm. Looks like winds continuing out of the north which pushes all the smoke and ash towards Berkeley will continue right up to game time tomorrow:

Link to map here: http://www.intellicast.com/National/Wind/WINDcast.aspx?region=sfo
Maybe, but look at that little arrow pointing east right above "San Francisco." That could be the saving grace, if the offshore flow happens and pushes the smoke into the valley. For once we might be counting our blessings from having a night game.
Cal Strong!
Cal Strong live in Cairo. Cairo one of the most polluted cities on planet. Egypt WEAK when it come to air pollution. Skies look like that everyday here. No see stars at night. WEAK.

Cal Strong still exercises every day . . . so do many Egyptians. It can be done. Cal Strong sometimes wishes he back in United States with cleaner air. But Cal Strong doing important work here. Cal Football team also do important work.

Things Cal can do -- maybe conditioning take place inside with air purifying systems in place. Maybe just go outside for limited reps, but no conditioning.

Maybe this give Cal advantage. WSU not used to this.
95bears
CalSTRONG, this fire looked at itself in the mirror and has decided to be STRONG.

As a native Californian, I can confidently say there hasn't been anything like it. It's like thick campfire smoke that chases you around.
Golden One
ColoradoBear said:

One thing I will add is that AQI is just a contrived number made up of a few somewhat arbitrarily weighted components. Who really knows whether smoke (through PM25) should be weighted as it is versus ozone. AQI is typically used for urban emissions like car emissions or factory emissions... I don't know how one can really say X amount of PM2.5 equivalent of Y amount of ozone, but that is essentially what AQI is doing.

The truth is that almost everything the BAAQMD does is arbitrary and contrived. Very few of their regulations, guidelines, and mandates are based on actual scientific knowledge.
YamhillBear
Golden One said:

ColoradoBear said:

The truth is that almost everything the BAAQMD does is arbitrary and contrived. Very few of their regulations, guidelines, and mandates are based on actual scientific knowledge.
I don't think that Colorado Bear's assertion (first quote above) is correct. According to the EPA website, a separate AQI is calculated for each of four pollutant categories (ground level ozone, particulates, CO, and Sulfur Dioxide) and then whichever one is worst is the reported AQI. It is not an arbitrary combination of the four. In fact, I would argue that the reported AQI could actually be underrepresenting risk.

Completely disagree with Golden One's comments (second quote above).

Ref:
https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=aqi_brochure.index
Golden One
YamhillBear said:

Golden One said:

ColoradoBear said:

I don't think that Colorado Bear's assertion (first quote above) is correct. According to the EPA website, a separate AQI is calculated for each of four pollutant categories (ground level ozone, particulates, CO, and Sulfur Dioxide) and then whichever one is worst is the reported AQI. It is not an arbitrary combination of the four. In fact, I would argue that the reported AQI could actually be underrepresenting risk.

Ref:
You''re welcome to disagree with me. Unfortunately, what I say is true. Anyone who has followed the Air District over the years knows that. Much of their work is based on modeling which has little or no basis in science. Also, in recent years their agenda has basically been set by the environmental activists/extremists and anti-capitalists whose sole objective is to shutdown industry and destroy businesses in the Bay Area.
JadenceBear
YamhillBear said:

Golden One said:

ColoradoBear said:

Ref:
You're both (ColoradoBear and YamhillBear) correct. Yes, the AQIs for each pollutants are calculated separately and the highest is used. At the same time to calculation for AQI varies based on pollutant (and the formulas get tweaked occasionally) so in a way the pollutants have "weights" to them.
JadenceBear
Golden One said:

YamhillBear said:

Golden One said:

ColoradoBear said:

Ref:
You''re welcome to disagree with me. Unfortunately, what I say is true. Anyone who has followed the Air District over the years knows that. Much of their work is based on modeling which has little or no basis in science. Also, in recent years their agenda has basically been set by the environmental activists/extremists and anti-capitalists whose sole objective is to shutdown industry and destroy businesses in the Bay Area.
Golden One - I'd be interested in learning more. I've dealt w/ the BAAQMD before and I'm not particularly impressed though I wouldn't go as far as your statements. Can you expand on your statements or provide links w/ further details? Thanks!
Chapman_is_Gone
Cal Strong! said:

Cal Strong live in Cairo. Cairo one of the most polluted cities on planet. Egypt WEAK when it come to air pollution. Skies look like that everyday here. No see stars at night. WEAK.

Cal Strong still exercises every day . . . so do many Egyptians. It can be done. Cal Strong sometimes wishes he back in United States with cleaner air. But Cal Strong doing important work here. Cal Football team also do important work.

Things Cal can do -- maybe conditioning take place inside with air purifying systems in place. Maybe just go outside for limited reps, but no conditioning.

Maybe this give Cal advantage. WSU not used to this.

Repetitious moron.
Golden One
JadenceBear said:

Golden One said:

YamhillBear said:

Golden One said:

ColoradoBear said:

Ref:
Golden One - I'd be interested in learning more. I've dealt w/ the BAAQMD before and I'm not particularly impressed though I wouldn't go as far as your statements. Can you expand on your statements or provide links w/ further details? Thanks!
Let me just say that I've been following the Air District Board for many years and have attended scores of their meetings. The Board is populated by city and county politicians, and given that we're talking about the Bay Area, that means very liberal politicians (think San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Richmond, etc.). These folks tend to be very pro-government and pro regulation and extremely anti-industry and business. Their allegiances are with organized labor and especially environmental activists (Communities for a Better Environment, Sunflower Alliance, Richmond Progressive Alliance, etc.). As I said earlier, these groups basically set the agenda for the Board and its staff. If you want more information, talk to any business that has had to deal with the Air Board or its regulations. Also, I'd urge you to communicate with any of the Board members and see how little they really understand about the regulations they promulgate or the science (or lack thereof) behind those regulations. It's really pretty disgusting.
oskidunker
Medical professionals are saying dont go outside. We will find out Sat how people enjoyed the game. It might be interesting.
golden sloth
Golden One said:

JadenceBear said:

Golden One said:

YamhillBear said:

Golden One said:

ColoradoBear said:

Ref:
Let me just say that I've been following the Air District Board for many years and have attended scores of their meetings. The Board is populated by city and county politicians, and given that we're talking about the Bay Area, that means very liberal politicians (think San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Richmond, etc.). These folks tend to be very pro-government and pro regulation and extremely anti-industry and business. Their allegiances are with organized labor and especially environmental activists (Communities for a Better Environment, Sunflower Alliance, Richmond Progressive Alliance, etc.). As I said earlier, these groups basically set the agenda for the Board and its staff. If you want more information, talk to any business that has had to deal with the Air Board or its regulations. Also, I'd urge you to communicate with any of the Board members and see how little they really understand about the regulations they promulgate or the science (or lack thereof) behind those regulations. It's really pretty disgusting.
I welcome these liberal environmental activists imposing strong air quality regulations. I deserve and have a right to breath clean air and drink clean water. If that right makes it difficult for a few businesses, so be it.
BearlyCareAnymore
golden sloth said:

Golden One said:

JadenceBear said:

Golden One said:

YamhillBear said:

Golden One said:

ColoradoBear said:

Ref:
I welcome these liberal environmental activists imposing strong air quality regulations. I deserve and have a right to breath clean air and drink clean water. If that right makes it difficult for a few businesses, so be it.
In 1987, I spent several months going to the Lawrence Hall of Science almost every weekday. It was not unusual for it to be clear but not be able to see the Golden Gate Bridge. The occasions to actually see the red of the bridge were rare enough to make me smile, though it was always accompanied by strong wind as that was the only thing that would clean the air out. Now it is common place. (generally, if the bridge isn't covered in fog, you can see it clearly) The air quality in the Bay Area is massively better now than then. (and I'm talking statistically, not my bridge observation). Whenever problems get solved, people quickly move on and forget what it was like before.
BeggarEd
AQI reading at aquatic park in Berkeley down to 81 (i.e. "moderate") as of 4pm reading.

Assuming same pattern occurs tomorrow, evening kickoff should be fine.

However carry on with hysteria by all means...
TheFiatLux
TheFiatLux said:

I know how much this annoys grandmasterpoop, :-) so sorry to do that annoying thing when you start a new thread when one on topic exists, but I think this needs to be seen.

I have started socialing out about this. It would be good if others could too. Hashtag or add handles where you can.

https://instagr.am/p/BaJ0zy5hQkq
This gets more amazing. The University itself, is advising people to not go outside and it is trying to keep air from enterting buildings, I am attaching the email we just received. Further, let me repeat, i have talked to athletes across the sports spectrum and ALL have said it is bad. These are not snowflakes. These are people WAY MORE COMPETETIVE than any of us. They are saying it is difficult to breathe. There is nothing funny here. This a complete abdication of leadership and imho, anyone who goes to any of these events is enabling the exploitation of these student athletes. It's dispicable.

oskidunker
The sad thing Ken is they do not care if nobody goes. All they care about is the tv money. If many did not believe this before, here is proof.

Some younger people in good health might be ok if they wear a mask, according to a medical doctor on kron today. Elderly, young chilldten and those with any respiratory problems should not go.

Many loyal Cal fans are ignoring this unusual situation and claim they will risk their health to support the team. I really dont know what to think of this.

I have had season tickets to both basketball and football since 1986. I donate a fair amount every year. I would like to go but am not going to bury my head in the sand. I am
Not young. I just do not want to go there and wear a mask.

I have a feeling there are going to be repercussions, but I hope I am wrong.
sycasey
golde said:

Hah, that's exactly what I was thinking when I read that. I will gladly take more government intervention when it comes to air quality. I absolutely would not trust business to do an adequate job of self-policing there. The standard free-market conservative dogma usually doesn't fly with environmental issues.

However, if there are specific examples of this board imposing unnecessary regulations that fly in the face of scientific consensus, I would be happy to look at them.
TheFiatLux
oskidunker said:

The sad thing Ken is they do not care if nobody goes. All they care about is the tv money. If many did not believe this before, here is proof.

Some younger people in good health might be ok if they wear a mask, according to a medical doctor on kron today. Elderly, young chilldten and those with any respiratory problems should not go.

Many loyal Cal fans are ignoring this unusual situation and claim they will risk their health to support the team. I really dont know what to think of this.

I have had season tickets to both basketball and football since 1986. I donate a fair amount every year. I would like to go but am not going to bury my head in the sand. I am
Not young. I just do not want to go there and wear a mask.

I have a feeling there are going to be repercussions, but I hope I am wrong.
I think my bonafides for Cal Athletics are well known... I am totally disgusted by this, especially since i have classmates and friends on various teams affected. These students NEED PEOPLE TO SPEAK UP FOR THEM.
Cal89
I imagine "this", like the weather, lightning for example, could be a game time decision...
Sig test...
sycasey
Right now the AQI for the Berkeley Hills shows as 123, or "Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups." Which means it is probably fine for healthy college students to play football, and for regular fans to sit and watch a game. Hopefully the same nighttime pattern holds tomorrow.
BeggarEd
where do you find thay data? on the BAAQM site O can only find Aquatic Park and East/West Oakland stations...

But they all show readings as of 5pm between 75 and 125 which seems positive.
oskidunker
I wonder if The President of Bank of the West will be there to reveive his award. Might have to use okder kids for the Bear Growl.
bearister
sycasey said:

Right now the AQI for the Berkeley Hills shows as 123, or "Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups." Which means it is probably fine for healthy college students to play football, and for regular fans to sit and watch a game. Hopefully the same nighttime pattern holds tomorrow.

Here is how fluid the situation is. For most of the day it was low 120's in Walnut Creek and now at close to 8 pm it is 173.
https://weather.weatherbug.com/life/air-quality/walnut-creek-ca-94596
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Cal89
We had to close the house windows moments ago because of the smell. And we're down in Morgan Hill...
Sig test...
sycasey
bearister said:

sycasey said:

Here is how fluid the situation is. For most of the day it was low 120's in Walnut Creek and now at close to 8 pm it is 173.
https://weather.weatherbug.com/life/air-quality/walnut-creek-ca-94596

It's that offshore air flow, always kicks up in late afternoon. The wind blows in from the ocean, pushing the smoke inland towards WC.
glutton
BeggarEd said:

AQI reading at aquatic park in Berkeley down to 81 (i.e. "moderate") as of 4pm reading.

Assuming same pattern occurs tomorrow, evening kickoff should be fine.

However carry on with hysteria by all means...
Well that would be fine if the stadium was at Aquatic Park, but it's not.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.