Official Notice from Cal on Air Quality issues for Cal vs. WSU game

9,975 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by B.A. Bearacus
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Cal88 said:

One of the other red spots on the US maps is in south TX, current air quality level in much of Houston is 200 as of 5om CDT, I think it's their basic smog problem on a day with stagnant air, I doubt they're about to cancel any sporting events there though...

In Europe, several Spanish cities including Madrid are at the top of the scale, a reading of 100 on that scale corresponds to a polutant density of 400 micrograms per cubic meter, so more than twice current Berkeley levels

http://www.airqualitynow.eu/comparing_home.php
http://www.airqualitynow.eu/about_indices_definition.php

On a bad day, Beijing and Shanghai get up to 600 micrograms per cubic meter:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/01/16/china-smog-air-pollution/4504729/

Stop confusing things with facts. Let the self-proclaimed experts rant.

At this point you guys are just being jerks. You are not here so you have no idea what is going on so you are being slaves to a number that may or may not really be equivalent. I can only speculate that the standard is not as effective at dealing with an acute incident like a massive wildfire. But while you two self proclaimed experts think you can read a number and apply it, the experts here are advising completely differently from what you think you know. Schools have been closed all over the place. I guarantee you, Houston's normal smog is not worse than what we've been dealing with. You can go on thinking we are wimps all you want while everyone here tries to tell you what it is like here and just keep revealing yourselves to be massively insensitive *******s. I started out scoffing at this and changed my tune quickly as things got worse. Tequila, who has generally been an anti-snowflake kinda guy also described misjudging the situation. The ESPN sideline reporter said she didn't know how you play football in this (when the air had significantly improved). Right now on the Game they are debating this with respect to the Raiders and taking calls from people who work outside. I heard a construction welder and a guy who hauls heavy machinery- two obvious snowflakes who can't hang. Latter guy said he has $500 in tickets to the Raider game and he is happy to eat the cost. They shouldn't play. (What a p****). But you tough guys can belittle everything from miles away.

The air seems to be clearing enough today. But congrats on blindly following the administration without question. It's not like they've had to admit negligence in safety practices in court or anything. We can trust them blindly.
Actually, your ranting and don't know what is going on.

The Pac deals with this all the time, as events are held (or not held) in non-attainment areas. UCLA, for example, plays regularly in Pasadena (at night) during September and plays games when the air quality improves at night, all without the hysteria and emotion, despite daily readings above 200. In fact, the La Tuna Fire, the largest in LA County history, was a few miles from the Rose Bowl, and in fact caused freeway closures next to the stadium, and the game went on in mid-90 temps in early evening.

You continuing blame directed at Cal and the local governmental agency is ludicrous. The protocols are already established by the Conference and relies on CARB standards which have been followed by the EPA and most states. The arbitrary numbers comment defies all the studies and hearings before passing the standards, all of which you can find on line.

Measurements on campus at 7:30, game time, have all been below 80, and are predicted to be below 80 tonight. Cancellations during the day make sense when there is non-attainment.

I'm probably an insensitive jerk because I had to listen to the uniformed, hysterical public constantly make emotional appeals about the sky falling in hearings for a living. But let's all be Donald Trump and not blindly follow science instead.

NVBear78
I am in Napa and our current AQI is 296. BTW it was at 190 earlier this morning and I couldn't have imagined playing a football game in those conditions though I have been breathing this all week.

If the wind turns tonight and tomorrow as forecast Napa fires may blow totally out of control again. I heard at least one report of a Fire Wind Advisory for the East Bay Hill tonight too so I personally believe it is insanity that this game may still be played.

I am worn down after the week we have experienced where so many friends, family and clients have lost their homes, and their businesses and are still out of their homes so what do I know...
sycasey
NVBear78 said:

I am in Napa and our current AQI is 296. BTW it was at 190 earlier this morning and I couldn't have imagined playing a football game in those conditions though I have been breathing this all week.

If the wind turns tonight and tomorrow as forecast Napa fires may blow totally out of control again. I heard at least one report of a Fire Wind Advisory for the East Bay Hill tonight too so I personally believe it is insanity that this game may still be played.

I am worn down after the week we have experienced where so many friends, family and clients have lost their homes, and their businesses and are still out of their homes so what do I know...
1. The game will not be played in Napa. Berkeley air quality will likely be better.

2. If the fires get worse and the smoke intensifies they will probably cancel it.

3. Sorry to hear about your friends and family. It's got to be rough up there.
TheFiatLux
wifeisafurd said:

TheFiatLux said:

wifeisafurd said:

Cal88 said:

One of the other red spots on the US maps is in south TX, current air quality level in much of Houston is 200 as of 5om CDT, I think it's their basic smog problem on a day with stagnant air, I doubt they're about to cancel any sporting events there though...

In Europe, several Spanish cities including Madrid are at the top of the scale, a reading of 100 on that scale corresponds to a polutant density of 400 micrograms per cubic meter, so more than twice current Berkeley levels

http://www.airqualitynow.eu/comparing_home.php
http://www.airqualitynow.eu/about_indices_definition.php

On a bad day, Beijing and Shanghai get up to 600 micrograms per cubic meter:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/01/16/china-smog-air-pollution/4504729/

Stop confusing things with facts. Let the self-proclaimed experts rant.
you should send a note to jack clark since he's kept his team inside this week. I guss he's one of those self proclaimed experts you're talking about.
I know its part of the make-up Grows posters to blame Cal for everything, but just to confuse you with some silly things that have been said here:

1) The air is worse than Chinese non-attainment cities. Bull.
2) The AD or Cal makes the decision about no go or go. Bull
3) The Conference shouldn't rely on the local Air District because their standards are arbitrary and not based on science. Bull, the local agency doesn't even set the standards the State Board did, after huge numbers of studies and hearings, all of which you can read on the State Board's website. Amazingly, it is the same standards adopted by the EPA and the Pac. BTW the local Board is just an enforcement function, so you guys need to direct your uniformed venom at the right agency. Reminds me of Barsky blaming Cal administrators for issuing bonds for the stadium only to find out the decision was made and that the bonds were issued by UC, not Cal.
4) Everyone is not practicing during the day or holding sports. Yes, that is because during the day, thresholds have ben exceeded, and people like Jack Clarke are following guidelines. The problem is that during the night the air has been and continues to be at safe levels, below 80 on the scale at game time.

You guys are being laughed at over on the insider site.
It would be impossible for me to care less what people on the insider site laugh at or not. But if i did, what a great way to get more people to join.... "hi, they;re all laughing at you. Hey, come join!" #SMH

Are you on campus? Are you in classes? Are you talking to the students? No. No. And no. So why not listen to people who are?? We just had a soccer game at 4PM yesterday. The football players are practicing during the day. They have complained about how bad it is. Jack Clark is NOT - repeat NOT - following "guidelines." He is making his own decisions, based on what he believes is best for the students who are in his charge.

It;s so odd how you're digging in your heels on something when people clearly have better information than you do. I guess that's the Internet. And humans.
oskidunker
I wish I were a tough guy. Alas,I am not. But I am sure they will represent us well.
B.A. Bearacus
KenBurnski
Yes, and in reviewing the thread I was dismayed to see WifeFurd get choke slammed repeatedly. I always root for that dude.
sycasey
KenBurnski said:

Yes, and in reviewing the thread I was dismayed to see WifeFurd get choke slammed repeatedly. I always root for that dude.
Don't check out the election threads.
B.A. Bearacus
Bears2thDoc said:

LOL!!!!
200 is the upper limit of 'UNHEALTHY"
Unhealthy" AQI is 151 to 200. Everyone may begin to experience some adverse health effects, and members of the sensitive groups may experience more serious effects.

201 is the lower limit of "VERY UNHEALTHY"

• "Very Unhealthy" AQI is 201 to 300. This would trigger a health alert signifying that everyone may experience more serious health effects.

AQI is 210 in Melbourne right now for qualifying rounds of the Australian Open and some players aren't doing so well.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2020/01/14/australian-open-qualifying-player-collapses-court-bushfire-smoke/
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.