Lupoi being promoted to Defensive Coordinator at Alabama

15,106 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GivemTheAxe
BigDaddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alabama expected to promote Tosh Lupoi to defensive coordinator

Nick Saban opted to promote from within in filling Alabama's offensive coordinator opening and is expected to do the same at defensive coordinator.

Co-defensive coordinator and outside linebackers coach Tosh Lupoi is expected to be promoted to defensive coordinator and play-caller, according to sources.

Lupoi replaces Jeremy Pruitt, who left the Crimson Tide to become Tennessee's head coach. Lupoi has already told some of Alabama's recruiting targets that he'll be the defensive coordinator and play-caller.

Lupoi, who arrived in Tuscaloosa as a defensive analyst in 2014, has been the team's outside linebackers coach since 2015. The 36-year old California native had also been the Tide's co-defensive coordinator under Pruitt since 2016.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2018/02/alabama_expected_to_promote_to.html
bear2034
Didn't someone say here there's no chance in hell he's going to be promoted to defensive coordinator?
Another Bear
Any wagers on Tosh heading to USC in a few years, after Saban is done in Alybama. Or you think he lands in UW again?
socaliganbear
Sure, but what does Saban really know? BTW this means he'll be a P5 HC within 3 years.
packawana
I have to say, there's nothing more Cal than a guy who used to work for us and became spurned by the fanbase for years becoming the next Nick Saban.
Ncsf
packawana said:

I have to say, there's nothing more Cal than a guy who used to work for us and became spurned by the fanbase for years becoming the next Nick Saban.
He should be spurned. He's a POS. You should think so too!
socaliganbear
packawana said:

Don't lump me in with those snowflakes.
iwantwinners
Ncsf said:

packawana said:

Get over yourself. As if Tosh is the only one in the business who looks out for themselves. See: Nick Saban; Urb Meyer....the list goes on. They're all self-interested to a fault. Being a relentless, tenacious, ego maniac is kind of common trait in those that are successful in this business.

Why is anybody surprised Tosh is climbing the ladder (even after a setback)? He was an elite and well regarded position coach. It took a badass coach with clout who didn't care who might have a problem with him hiring Tosh. He hired him because he knew he is an asset to any program.

We missed out on him twice. Shame on us.
chazzed
packawana said:

Gee, I can't think of any good reason why he was spurned.
calumnus
socaliganbear said:

Sure, but what does Saban really know? BTW this means he'll be a P5 HC within 3 years.

If he doesnt faceplant (and that is almost impossible given the talent he has to work with), sooner. I just hope that as he leaves he destoys Saban's incoming recruiting class.
calumnus
iwantwinners said:

Ncsf said:

packawana said:

Get over yourself. As if Tosh is the only one in the business who looks out for themselves. See: Nick Saban; Urb Meyer....the list goes on. They're all self-interested to a fault. Being a relentless, tenacious, ego maniac is kind of common trait in those that are successful in this business.

Why is anybody surprised Tosh is climbing the ladder (even after a setback)? He was an elite and well regarded position coach. It took a badass coach with clout who didn't care who might have a problem with him hiring Tosh. He hired him because he knew he is an asset to any program.

We missed out on him twice. Shame on us.

Dont worry, I am sure SC will get another shot at him.
iwantwinners
I'm predicting this board LITERALLY melting down when Tosh takes over for a retiring Saban in 2022
flounder
this is too damn good hahaha.
ColoradoBear
socaliganbear said:

That, or a position coach.
Bear19
packawana said:

Or not. It's a big jump from position coach to DC to HC, and many "can't miss" coaches & coordinators don't become successful HCs.

And, don't forget, he earned the scorn of much of the Cal fan base by his reprehensible actions, recruiting players who had no intention of graduating & were essentially thugs, etc. etc. He betrayed Cal in the dark of night.

He'll have to work hard to screw up Alabama's defense. Alabama fans will turn on the DC fast if he doesn't deliver to their lofty expectations. Either way, It's certain he could care less about what anyone at Cal thinks about him.

Oski87
Tosh is the next Alabama coach. He stayed there for a reason. We offeeed him crazy money (for Cal) to come back but he decided to stay there. He did that for a reason. Their defense will continue to do well and he will continue to get accolades. So the choice was come to Cal as the DC or stay at Alabama as the co- DC and know you would get it in a year or two as Pruitt moved on.

No one stays with Satan long. But Tosh is sticking it out there. I expect he will be an SEC coach soon enough.
Bear19
iwantwinners said:

I'm predicting this board LITERALLY melting down when Tosh takes over for a retiring Saban in 2022
Seriously? It's a long way from Berkeley to Mobile.
ayetee11
Tosh will win a National Championship as a head coach before Cal gets to a Rose Bowl
Cal84
Oski87 said:

>Tosh is the next Alabama coach. He stayed there for a reason. We offeeed him crazy money (for Cal) to come back but he decided to stay there.

Did we really offer him crazy money? He's probably at $1 mill/yr after this promotion, which as you state he had reasonable visibility on even last year. Did we offer him $1.5 mill/yr? Because that 's what would have been necessary to match his $1 mill after higher taxes, cost of living and the opportunity cost of better future career opportunities (HC wise) if he stayed at Bama. And that's just to match. To make it a worthwhile move for him it would have had to be even more. I'm pretty sure we didn't offer him that much.

We need a lot more financial firepower to compete with the big dogs.
MoragaBear
Staff
No, he wasn't offered more than Alabama offered and it was well under 1m.
82gradDLSdad
Ncsf said:

packawana said:

I just wish he was our POS.
going4roses
Thugs? Hmm k
Another Bear
I seriously doubt that Bama would ever hire a DC or OC without HC experience. If anything, Tosh would have to cut his teeth as a HC at a second tier P12 team (that is NOT Cal) like AZ or like FAU (Kiffin). I don't think USC would ever hire a DC/OC without HC experience, unless it was a NFL'er.
socaliganbear
Another Bear said:

I seriously doubt that Bama would ever hire a DC or OC without HC experience. If anything, Tosh would have to cut his teeth as a HC at a second tier P12 team (that is NOT Cal) like AZ or like FAU (Kiffin). I don't think USC would ever hire a DC/OC without HC experience, unless it was a NFL'er.
They literally just did that. Not only was he an OC when he was promoted, he was OC under Sark, on offensive HC who called the plays.
Jeff82
82gradDLSdad said:

Ncsf said:

packawana said:

Why do I have the nagging feeling that Tosh is a defining figure in Cal's struggle between winning and being pristine? It appears that Tosh has not suffered at all from his defection, because his methods help programs win, as long as those programs go along with them. I hope that the Wilcox regime can bridge the gap.
Another Bear
Sort of special circumstances at $C for that hire..Helton sort of backed his way into that job.
socaliganbear
Another Bear said:

Sort of special circumstances at $C for that hire..Helton sort of backed his way into that job.
I mean... the circumstance is that they were willing to take a chance on an a relatively unproven OC for one of the top jobs in CFB, even though they could afford far better.
71Bear
Jeff82 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Ncsf said:

packawana said:

Why do I have the nagging feeling that Tosh is a defining figure in Cal's struggle between winning and being pristine? It appears that Tosh has not suffered at all from his defection, because his methods help programs win, as long as those programs go along with them. I hope that the Wilcox regime can bridge the gap.
No one is pristine. Not Cal, not Stanford, not Northwestern, no one....

You simply need to invest and follow the rules. Cal fails miserably at the former and does very well re: the latter.

I read an article about how Alabama manages recruiting. When Saban was hired, he developed an incredibly innovative approach that utilizes student interns who are interested in a career in football administration. They do all the "grunt" work. In turn, this has significantly eased the burden on ithe assistant coaches allowing them to focus on coaching.

What innovative approaches has Cal developed to improve their recruiting effort? It takes commitment at the highest level to put together a plan and provide the resources to win. The sad fact is that a Cal does not care. If they did, there would be an AD in place who would clear all obstacles to create a winning environment. Until there is a true commitment, Cal will never be competitive for championships on a regular basis.

It is too bad because they have a head coach in place who is capable of winning. However, administration has tied his hands so he can't compete because he does not have the same tools that his peers are using.
BearlyCareAnymore
Jeff82 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Ncsf said:

packawana said:

Sorry to hijack the thread, but completely off topic, I was wondering if I could get some advice from you guys.

I have this friend who is a photographer. He met this young lady who wanted to be a model but didn't really know how to do it. To the rest of us, she was kind of pretty, but he had an eye for this kind of thing and he saw something in her. They started dating and love blossomed, but also, with his guidance, this woman went from kind of pretty to drop dead gorgeous. Frankly, in the looks department, she was WAY out of his league. But with his skill as a photographer and her looks, they started climbing up the lower rungs of the fashion industry together.

Here's the problem. Beyond the looks, not all her traits were positive. She was kind of shallow. A little dumb. And, frankly, annoying. These traits intensified as her career progressed. Sometimes it lead to arguments. At one point, they had a really big argument. I have no idea what happened. Can't say who was right or wrong. Probably both, to be honest. Thought it blew over. However, later on she showed up at his door. She had been dating some other guy who was a photographer. She came to tell him it was over, that he was ugly, and that he smelled bad. She then drove off with his car, which he never got back. Over the next week, many of the models he worked with who were her friends went to work with the other guy.

He swore she was a piece of bleep and no matter what she looked like, nothing could make up for what she did. Some of our friends agreed. Some were of a mind that he was crazy because in their opinion, who cares what she acts like. "Have you SEEN her? You're never going to get a girl like that again" But then a couple years later he heard she left the other guy, and frankly, his resolve fell apart and he made a play for her again even though he had frankly little chance. And of course it didn't go anywhere.

Then she started dating this CEO. He was married, but man was he loaded. Like 9 figures loaded. She was very well taken care of. But at this point, my friend just didn't seem to be able to forget that he had this gorgeous girlfriend (and maybe he forgot or didn't fully appreciate her negative qualities). He kept getting in touch with her and frankly, I always thought she was laughing at him. But he kept going back telling her he may not be loaded, but HE'D marry her.

Then all of a sudden, much to my surprise she started talking about leaving the CEO and marrying my friend. It seemed pretty serious. Then the talk stopped. 6 months later, we found out the CEO divorced his wife and married her. She is completely set for life now. But this episode seems to have made him want her even more. To most of us, it is pretty clear she was using him as a power play on the CEO to make him jealous and get what she wanted. Now that it has worked, she is not only out of his league from a looks perspective, even if she some day breaks up with the CEO, with her money and looks there is simply no way she will ever come back to him.

It annoys me that this woman constantly has her ego stroked while she laughs her ass off at him. The thing is to me, even if she has grown up and wouldn't treat him like she did when she left again, even if maybe he deserved it some because of that argument they had, even if all those negative traits might not be really so bad, and even if none of it matters because she is so flipping gorgeous, SHE AIN'T COMING BACK! She has everything she wants in life. If she had really loved him, she's had opportunities to return. Why is a gorgeous woman with $50M in the bank going to come back to this guy? My feeling is that if she miraculously wants to come back someday, she will find him. He can worry about it then and stop humiliating himself in the meantime.

Meanwhile, some of our buddies are obsessed with this question of whether or not he should take her back based on her looks if he ever gets a chance, when 1. He has made it clear he will take her back (since he has already tried); and 2. That chance is not remotely presenting itself. But it is like they are obsessed with the question like someday another supermodel who rates a 10 is going to walk through his door and they need to know that he either will or won't ignore any bad traits and grab hold of her and marry her before she can change her mind.

So question: How do I get my friend and all my buds to get past this issue and stop what is becoming groveling? Hey, I'm not above groveling if there is a point to it, but not when there is no point.

Any way, again, excuse me for this completely off topic question.
BearlyCareAnymore
71Bear said:

Jeff82 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Ncsf said:

packawana said:

You simply need to invest and follow the rules. Cal fails miserably at the former and does very well re: the latter.

I read an article about how Alabama manages recruiting. When Saban was hired, he developed an incredibly innovative approach that utilizes student interns who are interested in a career in football administration. They do all the "grunt" work. In turn, this has significantly eased the burden on ithe assistant coaches allowing them to focus on coaching.

What innovative approaches has Cal developed to improve their recruiting effort? It takes commitment at the highest level to put together a plan and provide the resources to win. The sad fact is that a Cal does not care. If they did, there would be an AD in place who would clear all obstacles to create a winning environment. Until there is a true commitment, Cal will never be competitive for championships on a regular basis.

It is too bad because they have a head coach in place who is capable of winning. However, administration has tied his hands so he can't compete because he does not have the same tools that his peers are using.
I would love to at least give Cal that credit, but we've been sanctioned way too many times to say that. Maybe our rule breaking over the years has been more incompetence than ill intent, but still can't say we do very well at following the rules.
therealputyournameonit
TypiCAL

He'll never coach the Bears again. Wilkins blew his chance.
HaasBear04
socaliganbear said:

LOL. Saban clearly should have consulted with Cal fans before entrusting his defense to this guy.
northendbear
71Bear said:

Just finished reading "The System: The Glory and Scandal of Big Time College Football".

A good book - I recommend it for those interested in college football.

Lots of in depth investigation on different topics, but recruiting approaches was one of the items.
One particular investigation focussed on the details and events in recruiting at Tennessee when Kiffin was there, but cited that the recruting tactics and methods (specically with respect to use of female students applying for the campus paid position of hostesses) was very effective and a key aspect of recruiting and employed by many other schools.

Focussed on "Orange Pride" at Tennessee, but Alabama had "Bama Belles" - which I believe has been formally dissolved as an organization, but is still operating in some form.

Book covers quite a bit on Saban and his attention to detail and coaching philosophy and approach.
Expect Alabama to be the dominant player in college football as long as he is directing things there.
82gradDLSdad
"Hey, I'm not above groveling if there is a point to it, but not when there is no point. "

That's the issue. Everyone has a 'point' like winning the Rose Bowl. Others have more ethics based 'points'. To each his own.
71Bear
OaktownBear said:

71Bear said:

Jeff82 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Ncsf said:

packawana said:

I would love to at least give Cal that credit, but we've been sanctioned way too many times to say that. Maybe our rule breaking over the years has been more incompetence than ill intent, but still can't say we do very well at following the rules.
I was thinking more recent (post-Holmoe).....
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.