First impressions new AD

14,542 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bear2034
Goobear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
i saw the press conference on the PAC 12 web site

1) Articulate
2) Knows red is bad
3) Seems like a guy the donors can talk to
4) intelligent
5) Sounds development of student athletes on same page as Wilcox

Did not hear about winning as a football team at a national Level
Sebastabear
Goo were you at the reception in the University Club this afternoon or was this based on his live remarks? Just curious how this message is being delivered to the various audiences. Personally I really hope fielding an elite national football team is his first, second and final priority. Fix that and most of our other problems solve themselves.

edit: oh never mind. I see now you clearly say this was on the live feed. Anyway, would love to hear from anyone who made the UClub event. We were away or would have driven up expressly to buttonhole him on football.
Blueblood
Cal steals AD from MWC team! You see you doubters out there....it's just a matter of time!

MAKE CAL GREAT AGAIN!
6956bear
Sebastabear said:

Goo were you at the reception in the University Club this afternoon or was this based on his live remarks? Just curious how this message is being delivered to the various audiences. Personally I really hope fielding an elite national football team is his first, second and final priority. Fix that and most of our other problems solve themselves.

edit: oh never mind. I see now you clearly say this was on the live feed. Anyway, would love to hear from anyone who made the UClub event. We were away or would have driven up expressly to buttonhole him on football.
Good football is a critical piece of fixing what ails Cal IA. Football must become good, it is absolutely essential. Not sure he can single out any sport and an introductory press conference, unless he is asked specifically the question.
GoBears635
Blueblood said:

Cal steals AD from MWC team! You see you doubters out there....it's just a matter of time!

MAKE CAL GREAT AGAIN!
Our broken record chimes in again. Sigh.
Blueblood
GoBears635 said:

Blueblood said:

MAKE CAL GREAT AGAIN!
Our broken record chimes in again. Sigh.
Oh, the burden you must be carrying....I feel for you....but...you want to be a Cal fan.....(fart..dans votre direction ge'ne'rale)
wifeisafurd
Goobear said:

1) Articulate
2) Knows red is bad
4) intelligent

Doesn't understand Cal campus culture by mentioning Chick-fil-a several times despite there being a campus boycott and hatred due to Chick's founder's politics. He sound like a guy that can do well with alums, coaches and players, but will have a learning curve with Campus stakeholders IMO.
Golden One
wifeisafurd said:

Goobear said:

1) Articulate
2) Knows red is bad
4) intelligent

Doesn't understand Cal campus culture by mentioning Chick-fil-a several times despite there being a campus boycott and hatred due to Chick's founder's politics. He sound like a guy that can do well with alums, coaches and players, but will have a learning curve with Campus stakeholders IMO.
You mean the campus culture that doesn't tolerate dissent and diversity of political opinion? Shame on him for mentioning Chick-fil-a; he should get 20 lashes on the steps of Sproul Plaza.
TomBear
Hey, if he can get some sort of a deal with Chick Fil A, go for it! No one has to eat or support them. Means more of their great food for me!
socaliganbear
Chik-fil-a is mediocre, but... that didn't stop Cal from having it delivered to campus for the football team.
wifeisafurd
socaliganbear said:

Chik-fil-a is mediocre, but... that didn't stop Cal from having it delivered to campus for the football team.
Didn't some team have a thing with In-N-Out a while back?

CalBearForever
I was troubled by his mention of Chick Fil A as well. Politics aside, he has spent his career on the east coast where Chick Fil A is prevalent. I refuse to support that company.
He'd just been hired so really had no time to do any research but had he substituted In N Out he would have had students lining up at the entrances to Memorial.
It's a matter of learning about local culture so I'll give him a pass on this.
I'm sure Dykes really believed that Pigskins and Pearls was going to be a great hit with our female fans. It was not.
socaliganbear
wifeisafurd said:

socaliganbear said:

Mike Riley. Super Duper is opening up on Telegraph, an SF chain for those unfamiliar, maybe that's our new thing. I'm a fan, especially their chicken sandwich with an egg.
71Bear
socaliganbear said:

wifeisafurd said:

socaliganbear said:

Mike Riley. Super Duper is opening up on Telegraph, an SF chain for those unfamiliar, maybe that's our new thing. I'm a fan, especially their chicken sandwich with an egg.
I have dined there several times in the City. The burgers are quite tasty, especially when topped with the Sir Kensington ketchup.....
71Bear
CalBearForever said:

I was troubled by his mention of Chick Fil A as well. Politics aside, he has spent his career on the east coast where Chick Fil A is prevalent. I refuse to support that company.
He'd just been hired so really had no time to do any research but had he substituted In N Out he would have had students lining up at the entrances to Memorial.
I'm sure Dykes really believed that Pigskins and Pearls was going to be a great hit with our female fans. It was not.
I agree. I would never eat at Chick Fil A. They do not support diversity and inclusion. I am sure that someone will bring this to his attention.
socaliganbear
71Bear said:

socaliganbear said:

wifeisafurd said:

socaliganbear said:

I have dined there several times in the City. The burgers are quite tasty, especially when topped with the Sir Kensington ketchup.....
Agreed. I think the closest comp is Shake Shack, but Super Duper is much better imo.
okaydo
wifeisafurd said:

Goobear said:

1) Articulate
2) Knows red is bad
4) intelligent

I had no idea there was a Chik Fil A boycott. I had no idea there were Chik Fil A's in the Bay Area.

But I remember the Tedford "University of Cal" gaffe, so....
Goobear
71Bear said:

CalBearForever said:

I agree. I would never eat at Chick Fil A. They do not support diversity and inclusion. I am sure that someone will bring this to his attention.
Had many of their spicy chicken sandwiches. No boycott here.
socaliganbear
IDGAF about their political leanings, but Chick-fil-a are some of the blandest, most basic chicken sandwiches I've ever had. They're like the In-N-Out fries of chicken sandwiches.

calumnus
CalBearForever said:

It is concerning. He only has one chance to make a first impression. He seems to be lacking in cultural/political awareness and football/basketball coach hiring/firing experience. The first impression with Dykes was that he was a bad cultural fit--but since he was hired, most of us realized we had just better start rooting for him to succeed. We are in the same situation--there are areas of concern, but the guy has been hired so lets all root for the guy to suceed and hope he surrounds himself with others who can fill his knowledge gaps.
Sebastabear
If we hired him to run our food concessions we are in trouble (on multiple levels). But willing to see how things develop on the athletics front.
socaliganbear
Naturally, this has morphed into a food thread. My bad.
Sebastabear
I must admit that the entire thing is now making me hungry.
71Bear
Sebastabear said:

No problem. Just don't eat at Chick Fil A..... Have a Super Duper burger instead!
philbert
socaliganbear said:

71Bear said:

socaliganbear said:

wifeisafurd said:

socaliganbear said:

Agreed. I think the closest comp is Shake Shack, but Super Duper is much better imo.
Yep. I think Super Duper is much better than Shake Shack.

FYI: the Super Duper guys are bringing The Bird to Berkeley later this year. There is currently one location in downtown SF right now. Pretty good chicken sandwiches.

www.thebirdsf.com
socaliganbear
philbert said:

socaliganbear said:

71Bear said:

socaliganbear said:

wifeisafurd said:

socaliganbear said:

Yep. I think Super Duper is much better than Shake Shack.

FYI: the Super Duper guys are bringing The Bird to Berkeley later this year. There is currently one location in downtown SF right now. Pretty good chicken sandwiches.

www.thebirdsf.com

I saw. Big fan of The Bird. Goobear, check it out if you haven't, that or Bakesale Betty's.
NVBear78
calumnus said:

CalBearForever said:

It is concerning. He only has one chance to make a first impression. He seems to be lacking in cultural/political awareness and football/basketball coach hiring/firing experience. The first impression with Dykes was that he was a bad cultural fit--but since he was hired, most of us realized we had just better start rooting for him to succeed. We are in the same situation--there are areas of concern, but the guy has been hired so lets all root for the guy to suceed and hope he surrounds himself with others who can fill his knowledge gaps.

So some folks are troubled by the mere mention of Chik Fil A and find him "Lacking in cultural awareness", you've got to be kidding me. Only since the intolerant Left in CA went so far off the rails that only the most Politically Correct in all things are acceptable.

What I see is a strong leader and that is what we need most. And I would bet his leadership and values are very much aligned with our football coach.

We had a PC sports marketing department last year under former athletic "leadership" which was actually happy when we lost to UCLA so they didn't have the bother and extra work of a bowl game interfering with their Christmas Holiday. No more of that..
MinotStateBeav
Everyone should eat salad all the time and if you don't agree then F you.
KenBurnski
What do you consider to be acceptable fast food fries? Don't skimp. You are a cosmopolitan gent. Spill your secrets.
KenBurnski
Never apologize for owning a bunch of internet message board goons with your superior knowledge of fried food. Own it.
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

No problem. Just don't eat at Chick Fil A..... Have a Super Duper burger instead!
Anyone who travels all the way to Berkeley and doesn't go to Too Dog doesn't deserve a safe space. You want salad, go to Furdville and wear your mock turtlenecks.
going4roses
True ... I call them Jesus chicken lol
packawana
Students sold Chick-Fil A on campus pretty recently so I don't think this is as big of a deal as people here are making it out to be. That's not to say anything about the company's terrible politics, but it's not nearly as rabidly loathed as some are making it out to be.
LTbear
Good lord, some of you kids concerned about him mentioning Chick-fil-A.
socaliganbear
packawana said:

Students sold Chick-Fil A on campus pretty recently so I don't think this is as big of a deal as people here are making it out to be. That's not to say anything about the company's terrible politics, but it's not nearly as rabidly loathed as some are making it out to be.
I literally saw it served at Memorial Stadium to players.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.