First impressions new AD

14,538 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bear2034
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wilner: "Failing"

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04/12/stock-report-uw-cashes-in-jim-knowlton-digs-in-bennie-boatwright-comes-back-and-the-pac-12-dodges-more-trouble/
Sebastabear
okaydo said:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04/12/stock-report-uw-cashes-in-jim-knowlton-digs-in-bennie-boatwright-comes-back-and-the-pac-12-dodges-more-trouble/
Technically we are "Falling". Seems like Wilner's main gripe is not the hire but the timing. I'm also a bit mystified by the fact that we took 8 months to do this and still didn't have an answer on whether (or which) sports to cut. I had always assumed that the exceedingly long delay was because Christ didn't want the new AD tainted by the cuts if those became necessary. Turned out that's not how this went down so I really don't understand the delay. Yes, it was important to get the "right" person, but come on. This is longer than the entire time period between the conclusion of presidential primaries and electing someone to the most important job in the world - actually maybe that's a bad example..
LegoBear
Cal Junkie said:

Jeez guys. Bakesale Betty's FTW on 51st and Telegraph. Forget Chick-Fil-A and Super Dupers!

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/bakesale-betty-oakland?select=PZjs84qj9XYoAAe6084eLg
The original Bakesale Betty sold her joint I believe to someone else and it is no longer as good as it once was.
okaydo
LegoBear said:

Cal Junkie said:

Jeez guys. Bakesale Betty's FTW on 51st and Telegraph. Forget Chick-Fil-A and Super Dupers!

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/bakesale-betty-oakland?select=PZjs84qj9XYoAAe6084eLg
The original Bakesale Betty sold her joint I believe to someone else and it is no longer as good as it once was.

Do you have a link? I googled Alison Barakat and Bakesale Betty's and couldn't find info on the sale?

LegoBear
okaydo said:

LegoBear said:

Cal Junkie said:

Do you have a link? I googled Alison Barakat and Bakesale Betty's and couldn't find info on the sale?

No sorry it could be wrong information, but was told this information verbally. Personally haven't been there in a while.
philbert
LegoBear said:

okaydo said:

LegoBear said:

Cal Junkie said:

No sorry it could be wrong information, but was told this information verbally. Personally haven't been there in a while.
I definitely agree that it's not quite as good as it used to be.
Big C
okaydo said:

Cal Junkie said:

1. I had never heard of the Chik Fil A ban before this thread.

2. I lived near Bakesale Betty's throughout its entire existence until a year and a half ago. I would walk by it at 5 in the morning when there was one person making the chicken sandwiches. But I never tasted that damn chicken sandwich.

They're only open 15 hours a week (Tuesday through Saturday, 11 am to 2 pm). I was too busy to wait in the long line on weekdays, and never devoted my Saturday to wait in that long line. Too bad.
It was good, but it came down to "How often does someone want to stand in line to eat a fried chicken sandwich?" The place sure did have cachet for a few years, I'll give it that.
OdontoBear66
packawana said:

BearGoggles said:

I'm still waiting for someone to back up the claim that Chick Fil A discriminates or somehow lacks diversity. There is literally no evidence of that and, in fact, Chick Fil A is one of the better paying jobs for young people of all backgrounds.

The fact that one of its owners has political (really religious) views that people don't like (regarding gay marriage) doesn't mean the company discriminates in how it does business or treats people. That is an important distinction.

And yes, if people want to boycott because of the owners' beliefs, that is your right. But inevitably that leads to a more divided country and has unintended consequences (Bill Maher had a good take on this last weekend).

And for the record, those of you boycotting/avoiding Chick Fil A but eating In N Out might want to do a little research. Where does it end?
I'm not entirely sure how you can consider any sort of market as entirely amoral. To take an extreme example -- if a company produced very good food that you like but its owners used the proceeds they made to fund domestic terrorism, would you willingly eat there? This isn't making the insinuation in the Chick-fil-a case at all; rather, it is to demonstrate that moral considerations do drive market forces.

Or, let's the view from an opposite side of the spectrum. Would you levy the same criticism that you're making in the Chick-Fil-A case against Americans who refuse to watch NFL games where players kneel during the National Anthem? It is somewhat analogous to the Chick-Fil-A example.
As to your last paragraph, I have chosen to not watch NFL games because of my belief system. However, I would never criticize someone else for watching. Your choice. I have once eaten at a Chick A Fil and did not find the food enough to draw me back. Had nothing to do with diversity, inclusion, or religious persuasion. Your paragraph implies levying criticism at those with whom you do not agree. I find some cog in that thinking broken.
BearSD
Sebastabear said:

okaydo said:

Technically we are "Falling". Seems like Wilner's main gripe is not the hire but the timing. I'm also a bit mystified by the fact that we took 8 months to do this and still didn't have an answer on whether (or which) sports to cut. I had always assumed that the exceedingly long delay was because Christ didn't want the new AD tainted by the cuts if those became necessary. Turned out that's not how this went down so I really don't understand the delay. Yes, it was important to get the "right" person, but come on. This is longer than the entire time period between the conclusion of presidential primaries and electing someone to the most important job in the world - actually maybe that's a bad example..
Wilner, our self-appointed Negative Nancy, somehow thinks that the chancellor should have decided to axe several varsity sports without having an athletic director on the job. Seems to me that would be like a hospital CEO performing heart surgery before hiring the surgeon.
Golden One
Uthaithani said:

wifeisafurd said:

Goobear said:

i saw the press conference on the PAC 12 web site

1) Articulate
2) Knows red is bad
3) Seems like a guy the donors can talk to
4) intelligent
5) Sounds development of student athletes on same page as Wilcox

Did not hear about winning as a football team at a national Level
Doesn't understand Cal campus culture by mentioning Chick-fil-a several times despite there being a campus boycott and hatred due to Chick's founder's politics. He sound like a guy that can do well with alums, coaches and players, but will have a learning curve with Campus stakeholders IMO.
Unfortunately you're right more than you probably meant.

I see a sharp, articulate, successful AD who understands how to turn around this department and is probably too good for Cal. I see the idiot intolerant left culture, sports-hostile faculty and do-nothing bureaucracy "Cal-ing" this up and running him off. I'm surprise Christ made this hire and even more surprised he took it.

You were probably thinking he should go along with the intolerant idiots to go along with the "culture" that is ruining the university and destroying major athletics at Cal. He need to challenge that toxic "culture," along with a lot of other toxins at Cal (the administration and hostile faculty being the big ones, but there are many others). He's just the kind of man who can and will stand up against the things that aren't working.

I have no doubt a guy like this AD won't put up with one ounce of BS from someone like Wyking Jones. That coach will either be gone or put on notice that he needs to win now or he'll be gone. An AD like this guy won't mess around. He'll have no problem rubbing some people the wrong way.

Unfortunately, that horrible "culture" at Cal will probably win and Cal football and MBB. The haters will come out of the woodwork, if they haven't already, to defend the despicable aspects of Cal's "culture," both in and out of the Athletic Department, in the name of political correctness, how-dare-you-challenge-my-coach-or-program, how-dare-you-make-us-do-work, or just "we hate white guys with a military background." You know that's coming, I can see it already. And if that side wins, forget it. Cal FB and MBB will never get out of the toilet.

I like this hire. I wish him well. And I give him about a 15% chance of succeeding. Which is actually far more optimistic than I was about the future of Cal FB and MBB before his hire.
Bravo! Your post is right on point.
BearGoggles
packawana said:

BearGoggles said:

I'm still waiting for someone to back up the claim that Chick Fil A discriminates or somehow lacks diversity. There is literally no evidence of that and, in fact, Chick Fil A is one of the better paying jobs for young people of all backgrounds.

The fact that one of its owners has political (really religious) views that people don't like (regarding gay marriage) doesn't mean the company discriminates in how it does business or treats people. That is an important distinction.

And yes, if people want to boycott because of the owners' beliefs, that is your right. But inevitably that leads to a more divided country and has unintended consequences (Bill Maher had a good take on this last weekend).

And for the record, those of you boycotting/avoiding Chick Fil A but eating In N Out might want to do a little research. Where does it end?
I'm not entirely sure how you can consider any sort of market as entirely amoral. To take an extreme example -- if a company produced very good food that you like but its owners used the proceeds they made to fund domestic terrorism, would you willingly eat there? This isn't making the insinuation in the Chick-fil-a case at all; rather, it is to demonstrate that moral considerations do drive market forces.

Or, let's the view from an opposite side of the spectrum. Would you levy the same criticism that you're making in the Chick-Fil-A case against Americans who refuse to watch NFL games where players kneel during the National Anthem? It is somewhat analogous to the Chick-Fil-A example.
There is a big difference between patronizing a business that supports actual criminal/terrorist violence and patronizing (indirectly) someone with religious/political views that are different than my own. The first person is committing a criminal act; the second is exercising their first amendment right to free speech, free exercise of religion, and free association.

It is not a question of amorality - it is a question of tolerance for people with alternate viewpoints.

Should supporters of opposite sex marriage boycott ALL LGBT-owned businesses because those businesses and support gay marriage?

Should pro-lifers boycott all business with owners or employees who support planned parenthood?

Should Jews boycott christian owned businesses and vice versa?

Should democrats boycott all businesses with republican owners or employees?

Boycotting someone (or a business) because they have opposing/different political or religious views is, by definition, intolerant. And that intolerance will only be reciprocated, leading to more division in our society.

sp4149
NYCGOBEARS said:

socaliganbear said:

IDGAF about their political leanings, but Chick-fil-a are some of the blandest, most basic chicken sandwiches I've ever had. They're like the In-N-Out fries of chicken sandwiches.

I completely agree. After hearing the hype for years about how incredible they were, I was seriously disappointed when I finally had one. Blah.
Well, I happen to like In-N-Out fries, compared to Burger King, McDs, etc... They are made the way my mother/grandmother used to make them; fresh not frozen.

As far as CFA, agreed they are about as bland and tasteless a chicken sandwich that is mass merchandized (Sorry JF and all the other rednecks). I have given them several chances. Being closed on Sundays just helps the parking around Walmart. However what finally crossed them off my list was that they refused to honor national coupons or local TV promotion's featured items. FWIW I have also been unimpressed by Cane's menu items, all chicken strips. Popeye's is just as good in California as in Louisiana, however the 2016 LA floods destroyed half their locations and many still haven't re-opened after nearly two years. I suspect they may go under soon and I'll miss them far more than CFA or Cane's. What other fast food chain ever has crawfish and decent red beans and rice.

FWIW the CFA sandwiches I have had about half the chicken shown in the photo.
packawana
BearGoggles said:

packawana said:

BearGoggles said:

There is a big difference between patronizing a business that supports actual criminal/terrorist violence and patronizing (indirectly) someone with religious/political views that are different than my own. The first person is committing a criminal act; the second is exercising their first amendment right to free speech, free exercise of religion, and free association.

It is not a question of amorality - it is a question of tolerance for people with alternate viewpoints.

Should supporters of opposite sex marriage boycott ALL LGBT-owned businesses because those businesses and support gay marriage?

Should pro-lifers boycott all business with owners or employees who support planned parenthood?

Should Jews boycott christian owned businesses and vice versa?

Should democrats boycott all businesses with republican owners or employees?

Boycotting someone (or a business) because they have opposing/different political or religious views is, by definition, intolerant. And that intolerance will only be reciprocated, leading to more division in our society.

Again, that assumes an equivalence of moral positions. You could consider those in the 1800s who justified slavery as a cultural institution as have a different political viewpoint. Is it necessary that those kinds of positions be tolerated? I don't think so.

I guess a better example would be whether by your definition, the division created by not patronizing a business that profits white or black supremacists is considered a net negative for society.

I guess, yes, you could call it intolerance, but all of morality is based on some intolerance of views considered abhorrent. Hurting someone out of malice, would be another example, of intolerance of views. Intolerance of racism would be another.
Ncsf
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear said:

71Bear said:

I would NEVER eat at Chick Fil A.
71Bear said:

They do not support DIVERSITY and INCLUSION.

Progressives are the biggest hypocrites in the world. Such a horrible thing to have Christian values lol. This is the type of thing that is a real turnoff to the majority of people in this country.
Another Bear
Well there's the rub...the rest of the country hardly matters to California. As California goes, so goes the nation whether they like it or not. You name it: medical pot, no plastic grocery bags, sugar tax on soda...and yes, we were right on Trump too. Didn't get trolled by russkies.
71Bear
Ncsf said:

Nasal Mucus Goldenbear said:

71Bear said:

I would NEVER eat at Chick Fil A.
71Bear said:

They do not support DIVERSITY and INCLUSION.

Progressives are the biggest hypocrites in the world. Such a horrible thing to have Christian values lol. This is the type of thing that is a real turnoff to the majority of people in this country.
When did "Christian values" become the exclusive property of the Christian Right? IMO, people of all faiths demonstrate "Christain values" every day. The issue is not "Christian values". The issue is the expropriation of that expression by a small minority in this country.

TomBear
Well, I like Chik Fil A a lot, and will continue to eat there, regardless of whether or not they end up doing some sort of Cal related thing or not. Same with In N Out.

As for the original intent of the post (anyone remember that?), I, like everyone else, have no options other than to hope for the best with this guy. He's hired, and he's in. Nothing I or anyone else says is going to change that. I like his background. He's accomplished, disciplined, focused, and appears to have done good jobs in his past positions. Maybe he's exactly what we need. I hope so. We don't have a choice.
wifeisafurd
Sebastabear said:

okaydo said:

I'm don't think Wilner is even right on the timing issue. Whatever the decision on a strategic plan, it has to be the AD's plan, so there is buy-in. If she cuts teams before, she asks an AD go come into pissed off donors and a situation not his making or in his control, and she greatly limits the ability to who she can attract tot the job. Here she can recruit an AD who has the chance to establish of legacy of turning Cal sports around. And If she makes the decision not to cut teams, she takes away the ability of the AD to leverage donors to save teams or at least some strategic plan which he can get donors to buy into which perhaps minimizes cuts. Either way, she makes the job less attractive. This is why Wilner is a sports writers and not a manager.
wifeisafurd
TomBear said:

Well, I like Chik Fil A a lot, and will continue to eat there, regardless of whether or not they end up doing some sort of Cal related thing or not. Same with In N Out.

As for the original intent of the post (anyone remember that?), I, like everyone else, have no options other than to hope for the best with this guy. He's hired, and he's in. Nothing I or anyone else says is going to change that. I like his background. He's accomplished, disciplined, focused, and appears to have done good jobs in his past positions. Maybe he's exactly what we need. I hope so. We don't have a choice.
My mistake to bring-up the whole Chic Fil A thing. But this whole thread shows the cultural land mine which is Cal. Knowlton needs to develop a fast learning curve of which topics to just avoid. And I's still willing to buy the team In-n-Out when the beat SC down here.
northendbear
wifeisafurd said:

TomBear said:

My mistake to bring-up the whole Chic Fil A thing. But this whole thread shows the cultural land mine which is Cal. Knowlton needs to develop a fast learning curve of which topics to just avoid. And I's still willing to buy the team In-n-Out when the beat SC down here.
I can see it now ...

November 10, 2018.
Associated Press

Bears Pull Off Major Upset Against USC

The California Golden Bear football team took a major step forward toward the Pac-12 title in a stunning 28-24 victory over Southern California ....

November 13, 2018
Associated Press

NCAA Launches Investigation into Cal Football

Excitement over the 28-24 triumph over USC quickly turned to concern when the NCAA announced it was launching an investigation into illegal booster contributions related to the purchase and delivery of In-n-Out meals for the entire team ...
wifeisafurd
okaydo said:

Somewhat off this topic, but anyone who could say Pac 12 MBB is on an up because Boatwrigtht didn't go the NBA and there were not more indictments, needs his head examined. Your only elite program program potentially is in shambles, attendance is down, your teams look like cr@p in post-season, your teams don't make money, ad infinitum. Hard to put any stock in what the guy says.
wifeisafurd
northendbear said:

wifeisafurd said:

TomBear said:

I can see it now ...

November 10, 2018.
Associated Press

Bears Pull Off Major Upset Against USC

The California Golden Bear football team took a major step forward toward the Pac-12 title in a stunning 28-24 victory over Southern California ....

November 13, 2018
Associated Press

NCAA Launches Investigation into Cal Football

Excitement over the 28-24 triumph over USC quickly turned to concern when the NCAA announced it was launching an investigation into illegal booster contributions related to the purchase and delivery of In-n-Out meals for the entire team ...
Please, I will have my lawyer pay for it.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

TomBear said:

Yep. Overall, I like the selection of Knowlton. I also believe that someone needs to advise him of what topics he should avoid discussing publicly. As for the burgerfest after this fall's SC game (assuming a positive outcome), I hope the guys enjoy their In-and-Out experience. I'm just sorry it won't take place in Kettleman City - the official lunch stop between Northern and Southern California.

Sebastabear
wifeisafurd said:

Sebastabear said:

okaydo said:

JWilner: "Failing"

I'm don't think Wilner is even right on the timing issue. Whatever the decision on a strategic plan, it has to be the AD's plan, so there is buy-in. If she cuts teams before, she asks an AD go come into pissed off donors and a situation not his making or in his control, and she greatly limits the ability to who she can attract tot the job. Here she can recruit an AD who has the chance to establish of legacy of turning Cal sports around. And If she makes the decision not to cut teams, she takes away the ability of the AD to leverage donors to save teams or at least some strategic plan which he can get donors to buy into which perhaps minimizes cuts. Either way, she makes the job less attractive. This is why Wilner is a sports writers and not a manager.
I think this really depends on whether you think cutting one or more teams is inevitable. I must admit that I do. So I don't see a situation where this delay makes sense since the bridges burned will be with both the AD and the Chancellor. If though, as you suggest, they can save all the teams and this gives the AD more cards to play then I guess that could make some sense. But then I come back to the eight month delay. I defy anyone to show me an example where a P5 school has taken that kind of time, or anything close to it, to go from an announced resignation to a new hire of an AD. I thought the idea was to get the sports cuts out of the way but as that clearly wasn't it I don't get it. Sure it was a critical hire, but at this level all AD hires are critical.
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

TomBear said:

Yep. Overall, I like the selection of Knowlton. I also believe that someone needs to advise him of what topics he should avoid discussing publicly. As for the burgerfest after this fall's SC game (assuming a positive outcome), I hope the guys enjoy their In-and-Out experience. I'm just sorry it won't take place in Kettleman City - the official lunch stop between Northern and Southern California.

I love the Kettleman City In-N-Out. Means football season is on!!
wifeisafurd
Sebastabear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Sebastabear said:

okaydo said:

JWilner: "Failing"

I think this really depends on whether you think cutting one or more teams is inevitable. I must admit that I do. So I don't see a situation where this delay makes sense since the bridges burned will be with both the AD and the Chancellor. If though, as you suggest, they can save all the teams and this gives the AD more cards to play then I guess that could make some sense. But then I come back to the eight month delay. I defy anyone to show me an example where a P5 school has taken that kind of time, or anything close to it, to go from an announced resignation to a new hire of an AD. I thought the idea was to get the sports cuts out of the way but as that clearly wasn't it I don't get it. Sure it was a critical hire, but at this level all AD hires are critical.
Blame us. The Chancellor spent a lot of her own time talking with donors and others (often individually) about issues before even starting the search process. Then a whole bunch of stakeholders (also including donors) were given input with the search firm. This was time well spent IMO. I think the actual time once the search firm went out and Knowlton was selected may have been only around 6 weeks. Cal sports was in a bad spot and needed this reflection. In my conversations with the Chancellor, she is well aware of all the studies and inability to act in the past and does not consider that appropriate going forward.
Sebastabear
Wait, so you are responsible for the AD hire delay and introducing a debate about chic-fil-a into the AD hire? You are definitely going straight to hell.
Larno
Wow, I am so grateful that I was at Cal in the early '70's when we only had to contend with the Vietnam War, demonstrations, occasional tear gas and the draft, rather than the incredibly complex issue of boycotting Chick-fil-A.
Larno
Thanks, but I don't feel superior to anyone, past or present. I will agree that many of the problems today have been caused by Baby Boomers. There were a few good things to come out of the '60's and '70's, but there are a lot of bad things too. I just went to class, dodged the tear gas and enjoyed all the sports at Cal. I have had season football tickets for over 40 years. Every year I come back I enjoy walking through campus and observing how some things have not changed in 45 years............and also how I appreciate living in a town where you can actually get a place to park!
NVBear78
Another Bear said:

Larno said:

Wow, I am so grateful that I was at Cal in the early '70's when we only had to contend with the Vietnam War, demonstrations, occasional tear gas and the draft, rather than the incredibly complex issue of boycotting Chick-fil-A.

Yes you're an early boomer so you're superior to everyone else...and btw, early boomers also get a lot of credit for ef'ing up this country.

Isn't that a blanket statement about "early boomers"? Tsk tsk
71Bear
Another Bear said:

Larno said:

Yes you're an early boomer so you're superior to everyone else...and btw, early boomers also get a lot of credit for ef'ing up this country.
As I tell my kids...

Well, we really screwed things up. Now it is your turn. Good Luck........
wifeisafurd
Sebastabear said:

Wait, so you are responsible for the AD hire delay and introducing a debate about chic-fil-a into the AD hire? You are definitely going straight to hell.
I had help on the first part (including from you). Guilty as charged on food thing. Funny, Berkeley food sucked when I was attending, but food really is synonymous with Berkeley these days.

Edit: Even Petros and other SoCal sports radio guys talk spend hours about places to eat in Berkeley.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

Sebastabear said:

I had help on the first part (including from you). Guilty as charged on food thing. Funny, Berkeley food sucked when I was attending, but food really is synonymous with Berkeley these days.

Edit: Even Petros and other SoCal sports radio guys talk spend hours about places to eat in Berkeley.
Thank Alice Waters for that............
Larno
Berkeley food in the early '70's when I was there: Top Dog, Giant Burger, and for a truly great meal the hamburger special at Sy's. Who needs the fancy restaurants when you could get a Giant burger and gravel cone (as we called the soft ice cream)? Speaking of which, is Nation's the successor to Giant burger, as the burgers are essentially the same? And I also miss H. Salt Esquire. We'd go to the one in Rockridge or when I lived in Alameda to the one there. I tracked one down a few years ago, very possibly the last one, in a sketchy part of Richmond. It had literally been decades since I'd been to one so there was bound to be disappointment and there was. Good fish and chips is definitely something to look for. Oh, and Bertola's. How could I forget Bertola's? And It's It's. Not being from the Bay Area I had never heard of them, but we used to make frequent runs to the 7-11 for them. Now they're available everywhere.
sonofabear51
Oh, Bertola's! Now, those were good days! Cheap drinks and eats, especially the pasta!
Start Slowly and taper off

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.