First impressions new AD

14,670 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bear2034
azulviejo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

socaliganbear said:

Chik-fil-a is mediocre, but... that didn't stop Cal from having it delivered to campus for the football team.
Didn't some team have a thing with In-N-Out a while back?

I believe Colorado did, when they played in California.
NYCGOBEARS
socaliganbear said:

IDGAF about their political leanings, but Chick-fil-a are some of the blandest, most basic chicken sandwiches I've ever had. They're like the In-N-Out fries of chicken sandwiches.

I completely agree. After hearing the hype for years about how incredible they were, I was seriously disappointed when I finally had one. Blah.
okaydo

okaydo
NYCGOBEARS said:

socaliganbear said:

IDGAF about their political leanings, but Chick-fil-a are some of the blandest, most basic chicken sandwiches I've ever had. They're like the In-N-Out fries of chicken sandwiches.

I completely agree. After hearing the hype for years about how incredible they were, I was seriously disappointed when I finally had one. Blah.

I wonder if it's about it being an outpost. I finally had one, in Hollywood, and it was meh. I wonder if in the South, however, it is good.

I tried Shake Shack for the first time last summer, also in Hollywood, and it just didn't seem that special for a $6 mini burger.
Alkiadt
okaydo said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

socaliganbear said:

I wonder if it's about it being an outpost. I finally had one, in Hollywood, and it was meh. I wonder if in the South, however, it is good.

I tried Shake Shack for the first time last summer, also in Hollywood, and it just didn't seem that special for a $6 mini burger.
It's all about the hype.
Shake Shack is nothing special. Overpriced small burgers.
People are sheep. The hype is always better than the reality.
socaliganbear
okaydo said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

socaliganbear said:

The first Chick-fil-a I tired was inside of an NYU food hall about 9 years ago. It was mediocre then, just like the one in Walnut Creek. Not sure if it's better in the South, but not sure why it would be. In-N-Out tastes the same anywhere you go. Same with Shake Shack.

During the UNC trip, I finally had Bojangles, I'd always heard how good it was, particularly the Ice Tea. Both the food and the ice tea were very average.
socaliganbear
okaydo said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

socaliganbear said:

The first Chick-fil-a I tried was inside of an NYU food hall about 9 years ago. It was mediocre then, just like the one in Walnut Creek. Not sure if it's better in the South, but not sure why it would be. In-N-Out tastes the same anywhere you go. Same with Shake Shack.

During the UNC trip, I finally had Bojangles. I'd always heard how good it was, particularly the Ice Tea. Both the food and the ice tea were very average.
travelingbears
Chik-Fil-A is pretty meh, but it is better than other fast food chicken sandwiches (e.g., McDs, BK). I do think Chik is overpriced for what they give you though.

Back to the real topic: I'm optimistically excited for this new AD. I was on the train that wanted Mike Williams out, and I'm hopeful that Jim Knowlton will be much better. I like the military background and Air Force AD background, but what really makes me optimistic is because I believe in Carol Christ's leadership.
LegoBear
I agree Chik-Fil-A is meh, but pretty good for a fast food chain. I liked Shake Shack when I had it down in LA, thought it was the best of the "premium" fast food burgers (ie Habit, Smash, or Five Guys).
packawana
Speaking of which this just popped up on my newsfeed:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1788615991191215/
tequila4kapp
wifeisafurd said:

socaliganbear said:

Chik-fil-a is mediocre, but... that didn't stop Cal from having it delivered to campus for the football team.

Oregon State after beating SC in LA.

And all this badmouthing of Chic-Fil-A is blasphemy. Throw some CFA sauce on their and enjoy the hell out of it.
wifeisafurd
tequila4kapp said:

wifeisafurd said:

socaliganbear said:

Oregon State after beating SC in LA.

And all this badmouthing of Chic-Fil-A is blasphemy. Throw some CFA sauce on their and enjoy the hell out of it.

If Cal beats SC in LA, I will chip into buy burgers. Who is with me?
wifeisafurd
travelingbears said:

Chik-Fil-A is pretty meh, but it is better than other fast food chicken sandwiches (e.g., McDs, BK). I do think Chik is overpriced for what they give you though.

Back to the real topic: I'm optimistically excited for this new AD. I was on the train that wanted Mike Williams out, and I'm hopeful that Jim Knowlton will be much better. I like the military background and Air Force AD background, but what really makes me optimistic is because I believe in Carol Christ's leadership.
yeh, I'm concerned about fit, but the fact that he was vetted by CC makes me optimistic long term as well. I just think he will have a learning curve to get used to Berkeley versus the academies.
NYCGOBEARS
wifeisafurd said:

travelingbears said:

yeh, I'm concerned about fit, but the fact that he was vetted by CC makes me optimistic long term as well. I just think he will have a learning curve to get used to Berkeley versus the academies.

AFA is famously a bastion of Fundamentalist Christianity. Cal... well, we know. He'll figure it out real quick. He'll have to.
Another Bear
I'm willing to cut him slack on this..but really, someone on the inside really should nudge him on this and make a funny face and micro-shake of the head...mouthing, "don't go there."

That said, might be a test of sorts if he understands Berkeley and Bay Area culture. And really, this is no different if the situation was a Californian going to Alabama and saying Chik-Fil-A should be boycotted. He's either going to see why or he won't. I hope he does but his military background and regionalism might say no. Hard to say...but that's why it is a test.

It might not matter (I hope this is the case) but it really might turn him off, as well. I know that's the reaction of many not from the Bay Area.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
71Bear said:

I would NEVER eat at Chick Fil A.
71Bear said:

They do not support DIVERSITY and INCLUSION.

NVBear78
I am still marveling at the Berkeley lefties being upset over the mere mention of Chic Fil A. Get over yourselves already. Remember he didn't say he would do that at PC Cal, he just described what they did at a different school. Unbelievable.
NYCGOBEARS
NVBear78 said:

I am still marveling at the Berkeley lefties being upset over the mere mention of Chic Fil A. Get over yourselves already. Remember he didn't say he would do that at PC Cal, he just described what they did at a different school. Unbelievable.

Do all conservative wing nut Bears eventually move to Nevada? Serious question. What's with the pejorative Berkeley leftie comment? I agree with the rest of your point.
packawana
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear said:

71Bear said:

I would NEVER eat at Chick Fil A.
71Bear said:

They do not support DIVERSITY and INCLUSION.

As an aside, this false equivalence argument has never made sense to me. If you accept that such an organization is openly supportive of suppressing an action that increases diversity and inclusion, then supporting that organization monetarily by eating there cannot support diversity and inclusion.

I guess my point is that it doesn't stop people from exercising their Christian beliefs to see someone getting married to another person of the same gender. Now you can disagree with the premise that suppressing marriage does not support diversity and inclusion but I'm not entirely sure how that doesn't just lead to the ultimate conclusion that one does not actually want to support diversity and inclusion (which is fine, but it'd be nice if people just admitted it).
Another Bear
Dude, I'm way beyond a lefty and I'm cutting him slack on CFA. Nice way to stereotype ding dong.

BTW, I have no problem with the second amendment either. I think there should be some controls but I want access to guns and weaponry. Might have to blow away some Nazi-GOP bassturds that support Russkies ef'ing with American democracy...you know TRAITORS against America.

I also support free trade...but without government support to subsidize ginormus corporations. If the people can't get a "free ride" then no way corporations, capitalist or anyone should get one.

See how that works...

Nice DELETE NvBear78...typical chickenhawk bullsh*t. Yes, I'm CALLING YOU OUT. New rules, if a conservative spouts off with BS and lies...expect punch back.

going4roses
Ruh Roh
socaliganbear
Ok, new strategy. Let's talk burritos vs tacos.
Goobear
socaliganbear said:

Love those Jack in the Box Teccos as I call them. Especially post alcohol par taking...
socaliganbear
Goobear said:

socaliganbear said:

Love those Jack in the Box Teccos as I call them. Especially post alcohol par taking...

Oh, those are great, whatever they are. . . Like very high quality gas station food.
NVBear78
NYCGOBEARS said:

NVBear78 said:

Do all conservative wing nut Bears eventually move to Nevada? Serious question. What's with the pejorative Berkeley leftie comment? I agree with the rest of your point.

I was born in Berkeley, come from a multi generation Cal family, graduated from Cal and have lived in California my entire life. Still here and rooting for my Bears. Seems I struck a nerve but it bugged me to read criticism of such an inane thing. Kudos all to those Left leaning folks who weren't bothered by the mention of CFA!

Go Bears! We will go to a Bowl game this year.
Eastern Oregon Bear
socaliganbear said:

I've never had a good taco or burrito at Chick-fil-A. Of course, I've never eaten at Chick-fil-A, so I'd have to honestly say I've never eaten anything good or bad at Chick-fil-A.

I'm not boycotting Chick-fil-A. I've just never lived near one or tried to go to one when traveling.
Sebastabear
If BearGreg really wants to make some coin off this site he'd get WeightWatchers as a sponsor. With our food fixation (and the kind of food we're fixated on) I'm pretty sure he'd clean up.
BearGoggles
I'm still waiting for someone to back up the claim that Chick Fil A discriminates or somehow lacks diversity. There is literally no evidence of that and, in fact, Chick Fil A is one of the better paying jobs for young people of all backgrounds.

The fact that one of its owners has political (really religious) views that people don't like (regarding gay marriage) doesn't mean the company discriminates in how it does business or treats people. That is an important distinction.

And yes, if people want to boycott because of the owners' beliefs, that is your right. But inevitably that leads to a more divided country and has unintended consequences (Bill Maher had a good take on this last weekend).

And for the record, those of you boycotting/avoiding Chick Fil A but eating In N Out might want to do a little research. Where does it end?
packawana
BearGoggles said:

I'm still waiting for someone to back up the claim that Chick Fil A discriminates or somehow lacks diversity. There is literally no evidence of that and, in fact, Chick Fil A is one of the better paying jobs for young people of all backgrounds.

The fact that one of its owners has political (really religious) views that people don't like (regarding gay marriage) doesn't mean the company discriminates in how it does business or treats people. That is an important distinction.

And yes, if people want to boycott because of the owners' beliefs, that is your right. But inevitably that leads to a more divided country and has unintended consequences (Bill Maher had a good take on this last weekend).

And for the record, those of you boycotting/avoiding Chick Fil A but eating In N Out might want to do a little research. Where does it end?
I'm not entirely sure how you can consider any sort of market as entirely amoral. To take an extreme example -- if a company produced very good food that you like but its owners used the proceeds they made to fund domestic terrorism, would you willingly eat there? This isn't making the insinuation in the Chick-fil-a case at all; rather, it is to demonstrate that moral considerations do drive market forces.

Or, let's the view from an opposite side of the spectrum. Would you levy the same criticism that you're making in the Chick-Fil-A case against Americans who refuse to watch NFL games where players kneel during the National Anthem? It is somewhat analogous to the Chick-Fil-A example.
NYCGOBEARS
Bravo, sir. Go Bears!
Cal_79
packawana said:

BearGoggles said:

I'm not entirely sure how you can consider any sort of market as entirely amoral. To take an extreme example -- if a company produced very good food that you like but its owners used the proceeds they made to fund domestic terrorism, would you willingly eat there? This isn't making the insinuation in the Chick-fil-a case at all; rather, it is to demonstrate that moral considerations do drive market forces.

Or, let's the view from an opposite side of the spectrum. Would you levy the same criticism that you're making in the Chick-Fil-A case against Americans who refuse to watch NFL games where players kneel during the National Anthem? It is somewhat analogous to the Chick-Fil-A example.

Isn't there a difference between choosing not to support a business and criticizing those who do support it because they don't share your point of view about that business?
Cal Junkie
Jeez guys. Bakesale Betty's FTW on 51st and Telegraph. Forget Chick-Fil-A and Super Dupers!

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/bakesale-betty-oakland?select=PZjs84qj9XYoAAe6084eLg
FloriDreaming
wifeisafurd said:

Goobear said:

i saw the press conference on the PAC 12 web site

1) Articulate
2) Knows red is bad
3) Seems like a guy the donors can talk to
4) intelligent
5) Sounds development of student athletes on same page as Wilcox

Did not hear about winning as a football team at a national Level
Doesn't understand Cal campus culture by mentioning Chick-fil-a several times despite there being a campus boycott and hatred due to Chick's founder's politics. He sound like a guy that can do well with alums, coaches and players, but will have a learning curve with Campus stakeholders IMO.
Unfortunately you're right more than you probably meant.

I see a sharp, articulate, successful AD who understands how to turn around this department and is probably too good for Cal. I see the idiot intolerant left culture, sports-hostile faculty and do-nothing bureaucracy "Cal-ing" this up and running him off. I'm surprise Christ made this hire and even more surprised he took it.

You were probably thinking he should go along with the intolerant idiots to go along with the "culture" that is ruining the university and destroying major athletics at Cal. He need to challenge that toxic "culture," along with a lot of other toxins at Cal (the administration and hostile faculty being the big ones, but there are many others). He's just the kind of man who can and will stand up against the things that aren't working.

I have no doubt a guy like this AD won't put up with one ounce of BS from someone like Wyking Jones. That coach will either be gone or put on notice that he needs to win now or he'll be gone. An AD like this guy won't mess around. He'll have no problem rubbing some people the wrong way.

Unfortunately, that horrible "culture" at Cal will probably win and Cal football and MBB. The haters will come out of the woodwork, if they haven't already, to defend the despicable aspects of Cal's "culture," both in and out of the Athletic Department, in the name of political correctness, how-dare-you-challenge-my-coach-or-program, how-dare-you-make-us-do-work, or just "we hate white guys with a military background." You know that's coming, I can see it already. And if that side wins, forget it. Cal FB and MBB will never get out of the toilet.

I like this hire. I wish him well. And I give him about a 15% chance of succeeding. Which is actually far more optimistic than I was about the future of Cal FB and MBB before his hire.
socaliganbear
Cal Junkie said:

Jeez guys. Bakesale Betty's FTW on 51st and Telegraph. Forget Chick-Fil-A and Super Dupers!

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/bakesale-betty-oakland?select=PZjs84qj9XYoAAe6084eLg
Smart guy.
okaydo
Cal Junkie said:

1. I had never heard of the Chik Fil A ban before this thread.

2. I lived near Bakesale Betty's throughout its entire existence until a year and a half ago. I would walk by it at 5 in the morning when there was one person making the chicken sandwiches. But I never tasted that damn chicken sandwich.

They're only open 15 hours a week (Tuesday through Saturday, 11 am to 2 pm). I was too busy to wait in the long line on weekdays, and never devoted my Saturday to wait in that long line. Too bad.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.