Possibly Sacreligious Comment on Uniforms

8,520 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HearstMining
BearlyCareAnymore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking at the picture of Brooks on his commitment article wearing the Joe Roth throwbacks. It seems like we very frequently dress the recruits in that uniform for pictures. I assume because it is well liked. And alums are always happy when we wear them.

So...why don't we just make that our regular uniform? It would give us an instant identity. No one else has a uniform like it. Everyone would know it was Cal as soon as they turn on the television. And it's not because they are godawful. It seems like most think they are cool. Well, if Cal once in a century stumbles into cool, why not be cool?

(special thoughts go to sonofoski on this post).
socaliganbear
I don't *think* I like that idea. But I'd love it it we made those our official bowl game uniforms as well.
NYCGOBEARS
I feel the same. Does the uni stop being as special if we wear it all the time? Also, our classic uni is one of the best in college football when we don't screw it up (Nike).
TheSouseFamily
There's a similar discussion going on at Pitt actually where many fans prefer their Tony Dorset-era throwback uniforms more than their current standard uni scheme. It's gotten to the point where the AD has sent out feelers to the alumni and polled them to gauge interest in making a permanent change back.

I'm just one data point but I like the Roth uni as an alternate kit. I agree with NYC that the yale blue/CA gold scheme we have now is pretty slick and I'd like to see us keep it. Although I like the look of the Roth unis as well, wearing them only once a year actually adds to their appeal and makes them more special, not to mention calling attention to the Joe Roth story.

On a separate note, have we won a game in them? Those unis deserves a few Ws so iI wouldn't bring them out just for games like USC (or similar).
Econ141
I prefer the cal script as the BAU but enjoy seeing the throwback once in a while. If that was the BAU I don't know if I'd like it as much. It's the novelty that makes it appealing to me.
Sonofoski
And the Roth uniforms have "blocked numbers," a distinct advantage.
NYCGOBEARS
Sonofoski said:

a distinct advantage.

Only to you.
flounder
hell, if you want to keep the traditional colors, just swap them into the roth era throwback template. the arm sleeves are way better than the sather stripe.

and cal does not have a traditional uniform. we have worn tons of different unis over the decades, we have had different helmet logos, and we've mixed and matched pant and jersey combos.
MoragaBear
Staff
I really like the idea of having the traditional unis mirror the throwback unis. That would be a great look.
Chapman_is_Gone
NYCGOBEARS said:

Sonofoski said:

a distinct advantage.

Only to you.

oh snap
Barttoriv74
The Cal Uniforms from 1964-71 are the best. Deep blue, real gold pants and a helmet with a glittering gold C which I would change to a script Cal. The Mike White era unis was a great move for the times; changing the Cal brand after a tumultuous time on campus and fit the style of the times, but wouldn't fit the traditional mode I prefer. When you win your uniform is recognized and the script Cal is a tremendous asset.
MoragaBear
Staff
Been dreaming of real gold pants forever. Would love that.
Big C
Just tossing this in for consideration...

There are official school colors, right? What are they exactly and is that even an issue?

When Joe Kapp became coach, he switched back to the darker blue. I seem to remember him calling it a "man's blue".

Since it's supposed to be blue and GOLD, I always wondered why the "gold" is more like yellow. Again, maybe sacrilege, but maybe a gold more like Notre Dame's.. (But their recent helmets are TOO glittery.) A darker blue seems to look sharp with more of a gold, whereas the lighter UCLA blue does not.
GMP
Big C said:

Just tossing this in for consideration...

There are official school colors, right? What are they exactly and is that even an issue?

When Joe Kapp became coach, he switched back to the darker blue. I seem to remember him calling it a "man's blue".

Since it's supposed to be blue and GOLD, I always wondered why the "gold" is more like yellow. Again, maybe sacrilege, but maybe a gold more like Notre Dame's.. (But their recent helmets are TOO glittery.) A darker blue seems to look sharp with more of a gold, whereas the lighter UCLA blue does not.

It's been said on this forum before, but "real" gold, like ND and UCLA's, is actually closer to pyrite.

Our "gold" is much closer to the color of actual gold:

Blueblood

Throw back the throwback uniforms!
They're too Hollywood...ugh! The
better the football team, the less glam
is needed on the uniforms! So yeah,
I guess, given current Cal football, the
players should all be given gold necklaces
and navy blue ascots!
Fyght4Cal
It seems appropriate that the teams of the flagship university of the Golden State, known as the Golden Bears, should wear gold.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Sonofoski
I have often wondered why, that in 2017, we did not wear "gold" pants once on away games.
Bobodeluxe
All whites ...

With random size blue and gold dots of various shades ...

With pink Roman Numerals ...

Clear helmets ...

Orange shoes ...
Golden One
MoragaBear said:

Been dreaming of real gold pants forever. Would love that.
Agree!
GivemTheAxe
OaktownBear said:

Looking at the picture of Brooks on his commitment article wearing the Joe Roth throwbacks. It seems like we very frequently dress the recruits in that uniform for pictures. I assume because it is well liked. And alums are always happy when we wear them.

So...why don't we just make that our regular uniform? It would give us an instant identity. No one else has a uniform like it. Everyone would know it was Cal as soon as they turn on the television. And it's not because they are godawful. It seems like most think they are cool. Well, if Cal once in a century stumbles into cool, why not be cool?

Not all alums are happy when they are worn.
I was a grad student and a season ticket holder in the 1970's. I never liked those uniforms nor the helmet.
The Royal blue is too light and reminds me of San Jose State Blue.
The unis themselves were too 70's for me even in the 70's.
The Helmet looks like something out of the SEC with a nondescript "C".
I love the dark navy/Cal blue uniforms and the navy blue helmet with the script Cal on both sides. I Really loved the helmets with the script Cal on one side and the bear paw on the other. I even liked the navy blue helmet with the reflective gold block "C" on both sides.
Any of those are better than me the Joe Roth helmet
GivemTheAxe
Sonofoski said:

I have often wondered why, that in 2017, we did not wear "gold" pants once on away games.

Agree to the nth degree.
Blueblood

"I'm Cal kosher!"
ddc_Cal
Blueblood said:

Throw back the throwback uniforms!
They're too Hollywood...ugh! The
better the football team, the less glam
is needed on the uniforms! So yeah,
I guess, given current Cal football, the
players should all be given gold necklaces
and navy blue ascots!
I cast my vote with BB here. At the time, I thought they were an attempt to jazz up the look and make them look more like the pros. Not a good look IMNSHO.

Yellow helmets? With no script Cal or block 'C'? Seriously?

And I'm for whatever number design makes it easy to tell what number it is. A lot of our designs make it hard to distinguish between all numbers except 1, 2, 5, and 7.
Big C
GivemTheAxe said:

OaktownBear said:

Not all alums are happy when they are worn.
I was a grad student and a season ticket holder in the 1970's. I never liked those uniforms nor the helmet.
The Royal blue is too light and reminds me of San Jose State Blue.
The unis themselves were too 70's for me even in the 70's.
The Helmet looks like something out of the SEC with a nondescript "C".
I love the dark navy/Cal blue uniforms and the navy blue helmet with the script Cal on both sides. I Really loved the helmets with the script Cal on one side and the bear paw on the other. I even liked the navy blue helmet with the reflective gold block "C" on both sides.
Any of those are better than me the Joe Roth helmet
What year(s) did we do script Cal on one side of the helmet and bear paw on the other? I seem to remember bear paw on one side, nothing on the other (or was it script Cal on one side, nothing on the other?).
TomBear
#1.....NEVER yellow. Yellow is a color for canaries, and is the color of the university of oregon. GOLD (not UW's "fool's gold") but real deep gold is our color. Yellow.........ugh!!!!

#2.....white is not a strong color. (Nor is yellow). You want to see strong uniforms? Look at the uni of the Ray Willsey teams. They were the right Blue, the perfect gold, and the only white was in the sox, where it should be.

Personally, I'd be happy with the practice jerseys.....I don't need fancy. I want strong! And the practice jerseys are the right blue and gold, with NO WHITE!!!

The new unis are OK with me.....better (much better) than what we've had for too many years. But my preference of all would be the Willsey era uni.

Having said that, the Roths are great for the Joe Roth games. They're classy, and are appropriate.

BTW, no more wearing away jerseys at Stanford. Wear the stronger BLUE jerseys. UCla/$C and Utah/BYU are doing the same, and a few SEC schools are doing it too. White is a color of surrender. We DO NOT SURRENDER to stanford. And Paly is BEAR TERRITORY.
BearSD
These were the best Bears football uniforms. 1983.

flounder
BearSD said:

that helmet is trash - ugly and not traditional, 80s crap. block C or Cal script > claw
GMP
flounder said:

BearSD said:

that helmet is trash - ugly and not traditional, 80s crap. block C or Cal script > claw
And the white lining the numbers is also trash.
TheSouseFamily
flounder said:

BearSD said:

Agree. And don't even get me started on those ridiculous shoulder pads.
Bear19
BearSD said:

Agree 110%. No other uniform comes close imo. Today's helmet, or dark blue helmet with gold block C would make it even better.
Bear 19
Big C
Bear19 said:

BearSD said:

Agree 110%. No other uniform comes close imo. Today's helmet, or dark blue helmet with gold block C would make it even better.
These aren't bad at all. Better than most of the combos we've had since. Geez, I HATED the different-combo-for-every-game trend (late Tedford era... emblematic of his coaching decline). The worst all-time were the ones we wore in Jahvid's last game: I wanna say yellow-over-white. Well, those and the ones at the "Welcome back to the new CMS" game.
Yogi58
Bobodeluxe said:

All whites ...

Clear helmets ...

Orange shoes ...
Shut yo' mouth

Bobodeluxe
Yogi Bear said:

Bobodeluxe said:

All whites ...

Clear helmets ...

Orange shoes ...
Shut yo' mouth

I gotta get me a new hat.
Larno
Mike White brought in the new uniforms in 1972 and they lasted until Joe Kapp booted them when he took over. I was still in school when they changed and I didn't care for them then. I also like the traditional uniforms from the 60's, with the gold pants. But, having said that, I like the new uniforms. But, never the gold, or yellow, tops at home. I've never liked that. The absolute worst were the all gold/yellow uniforms - hideous. And I prefer gold pants and white tops on the road. No all-whites.
JimSox
flounder said:

BearSD said:

Block C
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.