Possibly Sacreligious Comment on Uniforms

8,566 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HearstMining
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Snyder era was close to perfect:

https://goo.gl/images/S5kw43

Deep glossy blue and gold on the helmet was perfect. Gold pants and numbers were not yellow, but should have matched the gold on the helmet. And yes, get rid of the white trim around the numbers, it is totally unneccessary.
72CalBear
TheSouseFamily said:

flounder said:

BearSD said:

These were the best Bears football uniforms. 1983.

that helmet is trash - ugly and not traditional, 80s crap. block C or Cal script > claw

Agree. And don't even get me started on those ridiculous shoulder pads.

Ridiculous? Most of us who played wore those then - they were standard for even the poor QBs who must have definitely wanted today's more tailored and more compact pads.
TheSouseFamily
72CalBear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

flounder said:

BearSD said:

that helmet is trash - ugly and not traditional, 80s crap. block C or Cal script > claw

Agree. And don't even get me started on those ridiculous shoulder pads.

Ridiculous? Most of us who played wore those then - they were standard for even the poor QBs who must have definitely wanted today's more tailored and more compact pads.

I know. Was just making a joke. They were just some monstrous pads looking back at them now.
TomBear
Actually, that picture isn't really representative of how good that uniform looked. That was taken on film, and the processing makes it look too yellow. In actuality that was a pretty fair gold. The white around the numbers was totally unnecessary and would have looked better without it. (White around gold, especially a weak gold, makes the numeral look yellow, particularly from a distance. As I stated elsewhere, the only visible white should be in the sox). But I do still maintain that the very best uniform was the Willsey era uniform with the block C on the helmet, a slight gold shoulder trim at the bottom of the sleeve, and a strong, bold gold in both the pants and the jersey. I like the "script Cal" on the current helmet....I just think the Gold C was cleaner and slightly better.

Regarding the helmet, I prefer the brighter blue used up until a few years ago. I think the current matte look might have been fashionable for a few years, but has gotten old, just like the whole "alternative uniform" trend that Oregon started (and seems to be fading.....thankfully).
HearstMining
Larno said:

Mike White brought in the new uniforms in 1972 and they lasted until Joe Kapp booted them when he took over. I was still in school when they changed and I didn't care for them then. I also like the traditional uniforms from the 60's, with the gold pants. But, having said that, I like the new uniforms. But, never the gold, or yellow, tops at home. I've never liked that. The absolute worst were the all gold/yellow uniforms - hideous. And I prefer gold pants and white tops on the road. No all-whites.
Even if you didn't like Mike White's unis, I think you'll agree that Cal football badly needed rebranding at that point. I grew up in Berkeley and went to games from 1963 (as an 8YO) onwards and it was bleak. Occasional great defensive players like Ed White and Sherman White, but Cal couldn't recruit a QB or RB worth a lick until Willsey brought in Isaac Curtis and all that resulted in was NCAA probation. Cal football was pretty irrelevant in the Bay Area. The bright blue uniforms didn't cause the change, but they were an indicator that Cal football was changing, and for a few years (I graduated in 1976), it was pretty d@mn fun. Kapp did another rebrand when he reverted back to the more traditional colors - sent a message that we weren't going to fart around with the run-and-shoot offense any more. Aside from The Play, that didn't turn out too well, though.

I guess I like the dark-blue tops with gold pants (not yellow, which is too much like Michigan) and I like the flat blue helmets. And the bright blue uniforms for the Roth game. And just maybe one time, for a Big Game, have the team warm up in their usual uniforms and then change into the Roth ones before entering the field for the kickoff. That would be awsome!
GivemTheAxe
HearstMining said:

Larno said:

Mike White brought in the new uniforms in 1972 and they lasted until Joe Kapp booted them when he took over. I was still in school when they changed and I didn't care for them then. I also like the traditional uniforms from the 60's, with the gold pants. But, having said that, I like the new uniforms. But, never the gold, or yellow, tops at home. I've never liked that. The absolute worst were the all gold/yellow uniforms - hideous. And I prefer gold pants and white tops on the road. No all-whites.
Even if you didn't like Mike White's unis, I think you'll agree that Cal football badly needed rebranding at that point. I grew up in Berkeley and went to games from 1963 (as an 8YO) onwards and it was bleak. Occasional great defensive players like Ed White and Sherman White, but Cal couldn't recruit a QB or RB worth a lick until Willsey brought in Isaac Curtis and all that resulted in was NCAA probation. Cal football was pretty irrelevant in the Bay Area. The bright blue uniforms didn't cause the change, but they were an indicator that Cal football was changing, and for a few years (I graduated in 1976), it was pretty d@mn fun. Kapp did another rebrand when he reverted back to the more traditional colors - sent a message that we weren't going to fart around with the run-and-shoot offense any more. Aside from The Play, that didn't turn out too well, though.

I guess I like the dark-blue tops with gold pants (not yellow, which is too much like Michigan) and I like the flat blue helmets. And the bright blue uniforms for the Roth game. And just maybe one time, for a Big Game, have the team warm up in their usual uniforms and then change into the Roth ones before entering the field for the kickoff. That would be awsome!

Say what you will about Kapp. But he did manage to beat Stanfurd twice in his short tenure at Cal.
HearstMining
GivemTheAxe said:

HearstMining said:

Larno said:

Say what you will about Kapp. But he did manage to beat Stanfurd twice in his short tenure at Cal.
Yeah, well Gilbie beat them twice, too. And Kapp's overall performance wasn't the point of my comment, as you, being a Cal grad, no doubt knew.
calumnus
JimSox said:

flounder said:

BearSD said:

Block C

Script Cal

And I like the blue and gold in the banner of this website.
joe amos yaks
calumnus said:

Snyder era was close to perfect:

https://goo.gl/images/S5kw43

Deep glossy blue and gold on the helmet was perfect. Gold pants and numbers were not yellow, but should have matched the gold on the helmet. And yes, get rid of the white trim around the numbers, it is totally unneccessary.
I agree.

Note: Let's hear it for "block numerals". Anybody?
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
southseasbear
HearstMining said:

Larno said:

Craig Morton.
HearstMining
Morton was a Cal great and I thought about him when I wrote my original statement. But he arrived in 1961 and until Bartkowski arrived ten years later, the post-Morton Cal QBs were a forgettable bunch, with Dave Penhall being the best. I still maintain that, between the generally mediocre results that Willsey produced and the NCAA sanctions that Cal was under, the decision to do a reset on the Cal brand with the new unis was understandable.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.