joe starkey

36,912 Views | 263 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OdontoBear66
SoFlaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFCityBear said:

SoFlaBear said:

SFCityBear said:

With Cal's football and basketball teams often being as bad as they are, I think we should count ourselves lucky to have radio broadcasts of Cal games available at all any more, especially on a major radio network station. So I'll be pleased that I can still turn on my radio and hear Cal games on the radio, and I will bear with Starkey and Cupper, until they leave, and not cry about it one bit.

Almost every major university's radio broadcasts are carried via Tune-In (a readily available app that can be accessed by phones, tablets, laptops, and home computers). I think being on a major network station hasn't mattered in 10 or more years. Ideally, a university should get it's broadcast sports into a branded (i.e. ESPN, CBS Sports Radio) sports/talk station.
Almost every major university's radio broadcasts are carried via Tune-In (a readily available app that can be accessed by phones, tablets, laptops, and home computers). I think being on a major network station hasn't mattered in 10 or more years. Ideally, a university should get it's broadcast sports into a branded (i.e. ESPN, CBS Sports Radio) sports/talk station.

Thanks for the info. A few days ago, my cell phone broke down. Screen went blank. Done. Now I need a new cell phone. This morning as usual, my computer has been operating between very slow and frozen, while I'm using Firefox to access the BI. Internet Explore has gone so far as make it impossible to post on BI or even access Cal Bears.com. I'm not phone or computer-savvy enough to be able to fix these problems. So today, color me mad.

And, I'm an old radio guy. One of my first toys was a Crosley AM radio, which I used to hide under the sheets at night so my parents would not hear me listening to the Lone Ranger and the Cisco Kid. One night I fell asleep and the heat from the tubes melted the plastic cabinet and I woke up with the smell of smoke. I built short wave radios as a kid, and I've been a ham radio operator forever. I understand radios. On my AM radios, I can dial in KGO and Cal games blindfolded. When my radios break down, unlike my phone and PC, I can fix them with a new part from my stock and a soldering iron. I would give my ham station call letters for verification, but I'm afraid with the current climate, some Kaziinski (spelling?) copycat who doesn't like my take on Cal sports would look up my address and put a package in my mailbox and try and blow me up.

So to heck with apps, bots, phones, and PCs. I'll stick with my radios, all of which work (at the moment, anyway).
Growing up in Maryland, I used to enjoy listening to baseball and college basketball games as far north as Boston and as far west as Chicago and as far south as Atlanta on AM, so I get it.

But you are like my great grandfather that put shoes on horses well into the 1920s in Nebraska - you are where we've been, not where we are going. KGO is a news/talk format and has been since Christ was a carpenter (or whenever you put together your first ham set - not sure which came first). Putting college teams on sports/talk stations creates more synergy - fans can talk about the team; coaches can do midweek interview shows.

When my phone died, I spent about $100 and got a new one. I use a prepaid provider that uses Sprint's network (I refuse to do a contract) and I don't ever buy a phone at a cost I'll cry over if it falls into a pond. I use said phone to access BI, listen to Cal, listen to some Cal podcasts. It's handy, and requires little soldering.

As for the PC - I have to ask: any grand kids at Cal currently? I think even liberal arts majors at Cal can troubleshoot most common PC issues.

Is Ray Taliaferro still on KGO? I heard Jim Eason went to a different station.
SoFlaBear
oskidunker said:

Since I phones don't work in memorial stadium unless you have att, kgo is very relevant, if you want to hear the game
If the problem is that Cal has an exclusive ATT deal, you have my sympathies. Otherwise, the stadium should have Wi-Fi (because we all loke to Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. during live events). If there is no Wi-Fi, they should find a technically savvy organization to solve that problem. Maybe someone that runs a nuclear lab, has a world-class computer science department, has lots of bright, computer savvy young minds.
ddc_Cal
Like you, I listened to the Lone Ranger and the Cisco Kid, along with Sergeant Preston of the Yukon!, and stuff like that.

One of the benefits of living in Smyth Hall (as a freshman) was that you could get KFI from Los Angeles and listen to Vin Sculley doing Dodger games. The only radio announcer I have heard that comes close to Scully is Bill King doing basketball.

No further comment in this post about the subject.

Fyght4Cal
randythebear said:

Joe should retire and we should get Greg Papa.

Isn't Greg Papa the one who can't say "Cal"? It comes out as something like "Kael". Unless he got some speech
therapy, he would drive me crazy.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
bearister
ddc_Cal said:

Like you, I listened to the Lone Ranger and the Cisco Kid, along with Sergeant Preston of the Yukon!, and stuff like that.

One of the benefits of living in Smyth Hall (as a freshman) was that you could get KFI from Los Angeles and listen to Vin Sculley doing Dodger games. The only radio announcer I have heard that comes close to Scully is Bill King doing basketball.

No further comment in this post about the subject.

Did you ever listen to Ira Blue's talk radio show on KGO? Once when I was 14 either Ira or Russ Coughlin had a former CIA agent on and I asked him if they had "villages" like in Patrick McGoohan's show, The Prisoner, where they kept retired CIA agents that knew too much to be released into the general population. The guest said he knew nothing about anything like that and the host promptly disconnected my call. Yes, I was exhibiting troll tendencies half a Century ago.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oskidunker
Yes, loved Ira Blue from the Hungry Eye. Did you ever listen to Coyle and Sharpe? The man going down in the firey pit.
Go Bears!
UrsaMajor
I get decent reception on T-Mobile.
philbert
UrsaMajor said:

I get decent reception on T-Mobile.
You do? I get bars, but very little data comes through during games.
UrsaMajor
I should qualify it: I get good reception for calls and some data, but I do have trouble with the ESPN app, which appears to require huge bandwith.
philbert
UrsaMajor said:

I should qualify it: I get good reception for calls and some data, but I do have trouble with the ESPN app, which appears to require huge bandwith.
I have trouble updating my twitter feed as well. I like to get real-time game info from twitter, as opposed to trying to listen to the radio broadcast.
kelly09
Ira Blue...? As an oldtimer, I can top that...Bud Foster. Did Oakland Oaks games and occasionally 49ers and Cal football. He was great but like Starkey, he lost it due to age. Take it from me...it happens.
joe amos yaks
oskidunker said:

Yes, loved Ira Blue from the Hungry Eye. Did you ever listen to Coyle and Sharpe? The man going down in the firey pit.
Coyle & Sharpe -- "The Man on the Street" interview schtick.

I liked the Ira Blue program on the radio. Not so much on TV.

"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
bearister
kelly09 said:

Ira Blue...? As an oldtimer, I can top that...Bud Foster. Did Oakland Oaks games and occasionally 49ers and Cal football. He was great but like Starkey, he lost it due to age. Take it from me...it happens.

When I was in my late 20's I used to play golf once a week with Old Blue and former Oakland Oak Mel Duezabou. When Mel was 28, his roommate, Billy Martin was 18. They remained friends until Billy's death. Casey Stengel was Mel's manager. Mel told me that he had a hot bat but a horrible arm that kept Casey from moving him up to the Bigs. Mel said had they had DH he would have had a MLB career because of his bat. Mel died at age 90 in 2010. Scrappy MF he was!
OdontoBear66
bearister said:

kelly09 said:

When I was in my late 20's I used to play golf once a week with Old Blue and former Oakland Oak Mel Duezabou. When Mel was 28, his roommate, Billy Martin was 18. They remained friends until Billy's death. Casey Stengel was Mel's manager. Mel told me that he had a hot bat but a horrible arm that kept Casey from moving him up to the Bigs. Mel said had they had DH he would have had a MLB career because of his bat. Mel died at age 90 in 2010. Scrappy MF he was!
Oh yes, memories of the old eight team PCL. Maybe the best league below the sixteen team National and American leagues of its time. Old greats coming down as they aged, and young talent moving up. What was it the Seattle Rainers, Portland Beavers, Sacramento Solons, Oakland Oaks, SFSeals, Hollywood Stars, LA Angels and the San Diego Padres I think.
On Oakland (my favorite team) Sam Chapman, George Bamberger, possibly Cookie Lavagetto, and the Cal great who would not fly in planes Jackie Jensen, Augie Galan, Ernie Lombardi.
My uncle in SF had season tickets to the Seals and as a kid we would do the Sunday double headers with a morning game in Seals Stadium, and then you took the electric train across the bridge to an afternoon game at Oaks Park. And Casey Stengel at manager.
GMP
bearister said:

kelly09 said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=duezab001mel

His stats are not bad, especially 1946-1949, when he was, though old for a minor leaguer in today's game, younger or about league average for age at the time. His OPS those years hovered around .800, which is pretty good, a bit above league average.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/league.cgi?id=42fe9cde
UrsaMajor
OdontoBear66 said:

bearister said:

kelly09 said:

Oh yes, memories of the old eight team PCL. Maybe the best league below the sixteen team National and American leagues of its time. Old greats coming down as they aged, and young talent moving up. What was it the Seattle Rainers, Portland Beavers, Sacramento Solons, Oakland Oaks, SFSeals, Hollywood Stars, LA Angels and the San Diego Padres I think.
On Oakland (my favorite team) Sam Chapman, George Bamberger, possibly Cookie Lavagetto, and the Cal great who would not fly in planes Jackie Jensen, Augie Galan, Ernie Lombardi.
My uncle in SF had season tickets to the Seals and as a kid we would do the Sunday double headers with a morning game in Seals Stadium, and then you took the electric train across the bridge to an afternoon game at Oaks Park. And Casey Stengel at manager.
Ah, memories. Growing up, we always attended Opening Day at Seals Stadium (maybe the most beautiful minor league park ever), sitting in the first row of the boxes ($2.50/ticket) right opposite 1st base. Every year my mother would write the same note to the principal of my elementary school, "Please excuse Ursa from school on Tuesday, but it's that time of year and his grandmother died again."

I remember one game where we were ragging on Steve Bilko (remember him?), 1B for the Angels because he kept blowing bubbles with his gum. Finally, between innings, he came over to the stands and handed me a pack of gum and said, "Here, now shut up." I also got a broken bat from him (which I taped up and used, of course).

As for great players, before our time, the DiMaggio brothers all played for the Seals as did Earl Averill and Frankie Crosetti. And of course, Lefty O'Doul. Albie Pearson was CF in my day (later AL rookie of the year).
HighlandDutch
UrsaMajor said:

Every year my mother would write the same note to the principal of my elementary school, "Please excuse Ursa from school on Tuesday, but it's that time of year and his grandmother died again."
That's outstanding.
OdontoBear66
UrsaMajor said:

OdontoBear66 said:

bearister said:

kelly09 said:

Ah, memories. Growing up, we always attended Opening Day at Seals Stadium (maybe the most beautiful minor league park ever), sitting in the first row of the boxes ($2.50/ticket) right opposite 1st base. Every year my mother would write the same note to the principal of my elementary school, "Please excuse Ursa from school on Tuesday, but it's that time of year and his grandmother died again."

I remember one game where we were ragging on Steve Bilko (remember him?), 1B for the Angels because he kept blowing bubbles with his gum. Finally, between innings, he came over to the stands and handed me a pack of gum and said, "Here, now shut up." I also got a broken bat from him (which I taped up and used, of course).

As for great players, before our time, the DiMaggio brothers all played for the Seals as did Earl Averill and Frankie Crosetti. And of course, Lefty O'Doul. Albie Pearson was CF in my day (later AL rookie of the year).
After leaving Cal I played a lot of men's league BB and slow pitch with Jimmy Moran's kid, a bit younger than me, played with us for years. Dad was a great guy----Oldsmobile dealer in Berkeley for some time then down the east bay. My wife's best friend was neighbors of Lefty O'Doul and she met Marilyn Monroe (and Joe) there as a teen. And behind the plate was Sal Taoromina

Seals Stadium at 16th and Bryant was beautiful. Had there not been real estate shenanigans with Mayor Christopher (I. believe) at the time they could have put a second deck plus improvements to Seals Stadium and it would have been a classic for the Giants....Best weather in SF, great park, but had limited parking if I recall.

bearister

SFCityBear
UrsaMajor said:

OdontoBear66 said:

bearister said:

kelly09 said:

If you saw Albie Pearson as a Seal, then you'd remember Frank Kellert, Marty Keough, Bill Renna, Riverboat Smith, Ken Aspromonte, Sadowski, Grady Hatton, Leo Kiely and more. Kiely winning 20 games in one season as a relief pitcher was a record for relievers at any level, and maybe still is. Manger Joe Gordon. In the Seals' last game, I think Gordon played some infield and even pitched an inning.

I'd add to your list of great Seals Ferris Fain (2-time AL batting champ), Ping Bodie, Harry Heilmann, Lefty Gomez (Hall of Fame), Smead Jolley, Paul Waner (Hall of Fame), Gene Woodling, and many more.

I didn't get to many Seals' games myself, as my dad never seemed interested in baseball. He was more interested in basketball, track, and tennis. But as a kid, he himself used to walk from home at 15th Ave and Geary all the way to Seals Stadium at 15th and Bryant, a distance of almost 5 miles, just to see the Seals play, and then took the streetcar home. The Mission Reds were in the PCL and also played their home games at Seals Stadium from 1926-37. Ever hear of Ike Boone? He played for the Reds and in 1929 he hit .407, with 55 HRs, and 218 RBIs, leading the Reds to a first place finish. Maybe the best year anyone ever had in the minors. He weighed 310 lbs that year, "the biggest baseball player in captivity." The Reds had a number of stars, like Ping Bodie, Bucky Walters, George Burns, Willie Kamm, Paul Zahniser, Babe Dahlgren, but never could replace the Oaks as natural rivals to the Seals, and they eventually moved to LA and became the Hollywood Stars of the PCL.

My dad and his brothers saw many of these Seals' and Reds' stars play. On 15th Avenue, where they lived, George "High Pockets" Kelly also lived on that block. Kelly played first base in the Majors, mostly for the Giants, batted .297, and led the NL in home runs in 1921, and led the NL in RBIs in 1920 and 1924, and was selected to the Hall of Fame. My dad said the when the major league season ended, the kids on the block would begin to wait for Kelly to arrive home for the winter. As soon as someone spotted him, the kids would gather, and go over to Kelly's house, ring the doorbell, and ask Kelly to come out and play catch with them in the street. My dad said that every time they asked Kelly to play catch with them, he never refused. And he said that no matter how good a glove you had, when you caught a ball thrown by George Kelly, your hand would be sore for a while, and you never complained.

UrsaMajor
SFCity:

Thanks for the reminders. Of course, I now remember Aspromonte, Keough, Gordon, and many of the others you named. Great times. You are absolutely right about Christopher and the shady deal that led to Candlestick (Charles Harney was the developer who owned the Candlestick Point land and sold it to the city at an inflated price for the ballpark). Of course, Christopher was a crook from way back. Before he became mayor, he was indicted for watering down his milk (he owned a dairy) with chalk and water. Another funny story about Candlestick--Horace Stoneham (Giants' owner) came out to the work site during construction when the wind was howling and asked the foreman, "Is it always this windy?" Apparently, the reply was, "Nah, usually only mid-afternoon, like 1-4 and then again after 7 PM." Of course, the exact time of games...

A couple personal anecdotes. A close friend of mine (since passed away) was the son of Marilyn Monroe's analyst. One day, she was at the house with Joe Dimaggio (when they were married). Marilyn asked Danny to dance, but he declined, saying he'd rather talk baseball with Joe! The other is more personal. Joe Gordon was my father's bunkmate in basic training during WWII. Of course, once the Army sorted it out, Joe left the infantry to go barnstorming with other ballplayers in the service.

Remember the Hamm's beer sign on the building behind the center field wall?
kirklandblue
"Joe Starkey" got a little off-topic but this is great stuff, I could just keep reading all these recollections.
The mention of Ferris Fain made me chuckle; my first job after graduating, an older guy in the office told me a favorite childhood story when as a kid in NY he saw Fain on the bus ( I had never heard of him). He recognized him immediately and breathlessly rushed up to him for an autograph. "F - you, kid" was the response he got, but he laughed so hard telling the story I could see he got something much more valuable than the autograph. Always remembered his glee at the memory, and the "old-time" name Ferris Fain.
IssyBear
The Christopher Candlestick thing was unforgivable, but Christopher did sponsor the 49'er kids club (can't remember the actual name) that provided a punch card allowing kids (me) to sit in Kezar's end zone for 49'er games for $1/ game. I also remember going to games at Seal's Stadium, staying to the end of the game to pick up seat cushions and then being given a pass for a future game in the right field bleachers. Great memories.
ddc_Cal
You sound like a candidate for Sr. Softball.
OdontoBear66
ddc_Cal said:

You sound like a candidate for Sr. Softball.
Haha, no way. Retired at 53 and my son's that age now....Brittle old bones don't go there.
bearister
UrsaMajor said:

...Remember the Hamm's beer sign on the building behind the center field wall?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/oursf/amp/Pour-a-little-out-for-SF-s-greatest-sign-ever-7393865.php

IssyBear
I think it was the Right Field wall, but my memory gets fuzzy some times. I do remember the beer glass constantly refilling itself.
joe amos yaks
IssyBear said:

I think it was the Right Field wall, but my memory gets fuzzy some times. I do remember the beer glass constantly refilling itself.
Left field.
RIght field was a city park across the street.
Center field was O'Doul's pub & restaurant across the intersection.
Bear8
ducky23 said:

Forget about Starkey, the postgame guys are the worst, absolutely the worst.

just a quick example from yesterday

segment 1 - talk about the QB controversy the niners had in the late 1950's

ad break

segment 2 - talk about the injury to INSIDE LINEBACKER cameron goode, but don't worry because we have depth at that position with guys like Jordan Weaver

ad break

segment 3 - go over scores from other games (managed to not screw that up)

ad break

segment 4 - go over next opponent byu. this consisted of the analysis of the 1957 byu - utah game and the cal/byu vegas bowl.

There was ZERO. ZERO!!!! analysis of the actual game.

look i grew up listening to the Cupper when I was a kid, so there will always be a soft spot for him. but the postgame has just become embarrassing
I listened to 810 after the Husky game. The Cupper not only is, but sounds like someone in their late 80's. It's time to hang'em up Cupper. Long appreciation by Cal fans, but we need some younger blood to take your place. Starkey is still someone I can listen to, but would also like to see him retire. It's time.
oskidunker
I stopped listening to the post game years ago. No insights, no decent interviews and no scores. Commercial fest which is not worth it.
Go Bears!
IssyBear
joe amos yaks said:

IssyBear said:

Left field.
It was actually behind the 1st base/home plate stands. See a photo at:

http://t.co/QFWfWN4k

HighlandDutch
IssyBear said:

joe amos yaks said:

IssyBear said:

Left field.
It was actually behind the 1st base/home plate stands. Here's a photo:

More of a painting than a photo, but here it is:

IssyBear
Thanks for posting the picture. There was also a photo (showing the same location), but the painting was in color.
bearister
Well, if we are going to reminisce and everything:

Demolished 1972:

joe amos yaks
HighlandDutch said:

IssyBear said:

joe amos yaks said:

IssyBear said:

Left field.
It was actually behind the 1st base/home plate stands. Here's a photo:

More of a painting than a photo, but here it is:

The image is reversed and spot edited. As I recall we entered parallel to the right field line.
McCovey went 4/4 and hit two big triples off the right field wall/stands (16th Street side) in his big league debut -- against the Phillies and future HoF Robin Roberts.
Mac hit #3 in the line-up behind #2 Mays.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seals_Stadium

https://www.google.com/search?q=willie+McCovey+first+giants+game+at+seals+stadium&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiS3Oug5azeAhXHv1QKHdWlAi0Q_AUIECgD&biw=976&bih=560#imgrc=mDrc0cvMVT_bGM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=willie+McCovey+first+giants+game+at+seals+stadium&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiS3Oug5azeAhXHv1QKHdWlAi0Q_AUIECgD&biw=976&bih=560#imgrc=CkVuqjR25qy3NM:

Beer will be beer,
and bar left a long time ago.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.