Posing vs Taunting

5,409 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HoopDreams
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
travelingbears said:

bearister said:

travelingbears said:

.....Kerr openly accepts Draymond Green's antics because those same antics also fuel the team. ....

And back to my point earlier in the thread about the Old Days and athletes like Jack Tatum and Bob Gibson, had Draymond tried his "antics" against guys like Wilt or Bob Lanier, it would be the last time he displayed the antics and hopefully he would still be physically able to finish the season.
And you probably hate basketball's 3-point line and the fast paced offense.

There's nothing wrong with striking a pose after a big play. He wasn't striking a pose to taunt the opposing team. He was simply striking a pose with his teammates around him. NCAA tried to crack down on TD celebrations a few years back, and that was a terrible decision. Kids are celebrating after TDs again and no one gets flagged for that. If Laird can read an imaginary book after a TD, Hawkins can strike a pose after an interception.

I have no problem with dudes not standing for the National Anthem. Taunting and posing bug me. It wouldn't bother me if the guy doing it could back it up like Ali could. Most that do it now know they are protected. I assume it will trend back someday. Somebody will figure out that acting like you did nothing special is the ultimate cool.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C
bearister said:

travelingbears said:

bearister said:

travelingbears said:

.....Kerr openly accepts Draymond Green's antics because those same antics also fuel the team. ....

And back to my point earlier in the thread about the Old Days and athletes like Jack Tatum and Bob Gibson, had Draymond tried his "antics" against guys like Wilt or Bob Lanier, it would be the last time he displayed the antics and hopefully he would still be physically able to finish the season.

There's nothing wrong with striking a pose after a big play. He wasn't striking a pose to taunt the opposing team. He was simply striking a pose with his teammates around him. NCAA tried to crack down on TD celebrations a few years back, and that was a terrible decision. Kids are celebrating after TDs again and no one gets flagged for that. If Laird can read an imaginary book after a TD, Hawkins can strike a pose after an interception.

I have no problem with dudes not standing for the National Anthem. Taunting and posing bug me. It wouldn't bother me if the guy doing it could back it up like Ali could. Most that do it now know they are protected. I assume it will trend back someday. Somebody will figure out that acting like you did nothing special is the ultimate cool.
I doubt it will ever trend back; that's just not the way these things work.

However, do you remember when Jaylen Brown was playing basketball here, the time he monster-dunked over an opponent and then gave him about two seconds of "stone face" (completely relaxed, expressionless face)? Even though it was certainly something he had thought about (and even maybe worked on) in advance, I thought it was a pretty good compromise.
bearister
Big C said:

bearister said:

travelingbears said:

bearister said:

travelingbears said:

I doubt it will ever trend back; that's just not the way these things work.

However, do you remember when Jaylen Brown was playing basketball here, the time he monster-dunked over an opponent and then gave him about two seconds of "stone face" (completely relaxed, expressionless face)? Even though it was certainly something he had thought about (and even maybe worked on) in advance, I thought it was a pretty good compromise.

I totally dig JB. He has quite a future ahead of him inside and outside basketball. A Renaissance man. Because of JB and the fact Lacob is f'ing Oakland, the Celtics are my new team. Nothing personal Mr. Lacob, its just business.
01Bear
tigertim said:

This whole quasi-militaristic "team first, no taunting, Coach should shut it down and punish em for it" thing rubs me the wrong way. Football is a game. It should be fun. Let the 19 year olds do their Super Man poses. God knows I would if I were playing.

IMO, it's a dumb rule that's only inconsistently enforced. Should just get rid of it.

But I'm under 30 and the degree to which you get upset about taunting seems to vary greatly with age.

I dunno about how kids think today, but 20-30 years ago, it was more fun to win than to loseor at least so I believed. Along those lines, it was more fun for me to contribute to my team's success than it was to hurt my team. In fact, if I did something to hurt my team's chances at victory, I got mad at myselfand that was most assuredly not fun.

Maybe kids today are wired differently. Maybe losing has become fun for them. Maybe hurting one's team's chance at winning a ballgame has become fun. Maybe kids enjoy being publicly shamed and find that fun, too.

Regardless of whether any of us thinks the rule should be eliminated, the fact of the matter is that it is currently in place. Pretending otherwise is useless. For the team to pretend it doesn't exist is beyond useless, it's foolish. The players might as well pretend that holding isn't proscribed and just hold opposing players whenever they wanteven if it results in a 10 yard penalty each time. But hey, it's just a game and the players have more fun when they hold, so why not let them go ahead and do it right?
LunchTime
Sonofoski said:

Hoop Dreams,

This isn't about having fun. This is about looking like an *******, drawing attention to yourself at the expense of the team.

It's an expression of being selfish and being about yourself. It's copying the *******s in professional football.
Ah, the good old "Gladiator" reasoning.

These guys belong to the school. They are lucky we allow them to have names on their uniform, we only give them numbers so we can keep track of them.

Is that about right?

I mean, I think paying them, on top of food, housing, tuition, fees, tutoring, etc etc, is great to argue about, but to say they cant be individuals takes the cake.

These guys seriously are gladiators to you, I guess. Say their names to your friends, if they are good enough, but **** 'em if they step out of line? And unless they were the very best, you probably wouldn't know if one of your favorite gladiators from the 2000AD games was sitting right next to you. But thats ok, he was just a gladiator for the games. Not a person.

Someone should tell them to stop crying about getting their bell rung and get back out there for the team. Stop worrying about yourself so much. THE TEAM NEEDS YOU.

/s
LunchTime
TheFiatLux said:

Creeping Incrementalism said:

I personally thought it was kind of funny and cool to hear a ref say, "striking a pose". Someone should incorporate a clip of that into a music video.

I know what you mean about opinions on player celebrations. But from what I understand of Miami back in 90 or 91 and the clampdown that started and has continued since then, I agree with the current rules.
I agree. To me it was totally worth the 15 yards to hear the official say "strike a pose"

Ken
I just realized: You are Ken M.
sketchy9
bearister said:

travelingbears said:

So the proper response to a celebration/taunt should be...season-ending violence? How about you play better and don't get beat.
bearister
sketchy9 said:

bearister said:

travelingbears said:

So the proper response to a celebration/taunt should be...season-ending violence? How about you play better and don't get beat.

There were only occasional victims since the prevailing philosophy was don't rub in in or you will get your a$$ kicked. The same ethic prevailed in the 1960's (and before) to families that had just boys. The older boys cuffed the younger ones around when they popped off and that went down the line. No one messed with kids from families that
had lots of boys because they basically lived in gladiator school 7 days a week. These days mommy protects the younger boys from the older brothers and as a result the younger boys taunt their older brothers because they know they are under mommy's nuclear umbrella. It is all part of the ongoing feminization of the American male and the creation of a culture where men pop off but can't back it up.
HoopDreams
so I guess the superman pose is worse than this (no flag for excessive celebrating)...

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.