Cal vs. Oregon at 730pm on FoxSports1

5,904 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by okaydo
BearGreg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
BERKELEY California's Pac-12 opener against No. 20/19 Oregon on Saturday, Sept. 29 will kick off from California Memorial Stadium at 7:30 pm PT, the conference announced Monday. The contest will be televised live by FS1.

Cal and Oregon have both completed their preseason slates with 3-0 records. The Golden Bears have a bye this week, while the Ducks open their league schedule Saturday hosting No. 7/7 Stanford.

Cal leads the all-time series with Oregon, 40-38-2, including a 52-49 double overtime victory the last time the teams met in Berkeley in 2016. Oregon has won eight of the last nine in the series overall.

Radio broadcasts of all Cal football games can be heard live on KGO 810 AM, the Cal Bears Sports Network powered by Learfield, SiriusXM satellite radio and CalBears.com via TuneIn.
Sebastabear
Bleah. Well at least it should be good for student attendance.
FuzzyWuzzy
Sebastabear said:

Bleah. Well at least it should be good for student attendance.
Do we still breathalyze students on the way in to the stadium?
Sebastabear
I think we got rid of that a few years back.
Golden One
Yuck!
HighlandDutch
Not my favorite time, but it's not so bad in late September. At least the tailgate will be before sunset, and it shouldn't be too cold.
BearSD
FS1 is an embarrassment. And it's embarrassing to have Pac-12 games on that channel. Every game on FS1 draws fewer viewers than any comparable game on ESPN or ESPN2. Fox's over the air network doesn't do quite as poorly, but still fails to bring in as many viewers as games on other over the air networks and usually loses to ESPN in the same time slot. Fox's people just don't competently promote their games or their channels.
NVBear78
There was a time when we were excited to have a big game against Oregon at night. I can live with this one for late September and believe we can generate some support and excitement. We attended the Cal vs. BYU game in Provo and that was an 8:15 PM start time in Utah.
MilleniaBear
So kids soccer games are ON. So is golf tourney! Wooohoooo! I'd still prefer the day game...its good to see Oregon sweat!
azulviejo
F!@# crappy time! Now, I regret getting season tickets again!
okaydo
Up against SNL's season premiere. I guess at least I have something else to watch at the same time.
oskidunker
most games will be at 7:30 pm. Amaxon has great prices on long underwear
Go Bears!
75bear
okaydo said:

Up against SNL's season premiere. I guess at least I have something else to watch at the same time.

Do people even watch SNL anymore?
ColoradoBear
BearSD said:

FS1 is an embarrassment. And it's embarrassing to have Pac-12 games on that channel. Every game on FS1 draws fewer viewers than any comparable game on ESPN or ESPN2. Fox's over the air network doesn't do quite as poorly, but still fails to bring in as many viewers as games on other over the air networks and usually loses to ESPN in the same time slot. Fox's people just don't competently promote their games or their channels.

Would be great to have only one cable network partner, and then restrict late games to one per week on national TV. i would also like to see one partner so that games can be slotted in advance of 12 days, with the final network decision left until later to maximize viewers. could have that be a 2nd ESPN net, or P12 network.

Basically it would be great to get game-times out well in advance allowing those attending to make plans. if then there are day and evening games, make them equal in advance and sell partial packages. whatever works.

I can't say it would be wise to get rid of night games altogether as I'd venture to say about 1/2 of the TV money is due to night games. But getting rid of nights with both ESPN and FS1 doing night games would help as the 2nd concurrent game likely has very low value. This particular week has 3 of 5 games at 730, though the p12n game is by request to to heat in AZ.
oskidunker
True. If we had been onnthe pac 12 network we would have likely had an early game.
Go Bears!
BearSD

Quote:

I can't say it would be wise to get rid of night games altogether as I'd venture to say about 1/2 of the TV money is due to night games. But getting rid of nights with both ESPN and FS1 doing night games would help as the 2nd concurrent game likely has very low value. This particular week has 3 of 5 games at 730, though the p12n game is by request to to heat in AZ.
Ideally, the fix in the next contract would be that, except for the Arizona schools wanting night starts, there would be no more than one game starting after 6 pm PT and only ESPN/ESPN2 could televise a game that starts after that time. No point in forcing an unwanted late night start time for a game that has as few TV viewers as an FS1 or P12N game.
okaydo
75bear said:

okaydo said:

Yes, indeed.

75bear
okaydo said:

75bear said:

okaydo said:

Yes, indeed.

Hmm... I guess it's a Yogi Berra situation where nobody goes there anymore - it's too crowded.
510 Bear
I still like SNL, but some people I know are all like, "Well, I don't like it, so I assume it's going off the air soon?"

And for every one of us griping about the 10:30 ET/7:30 PT start time, some TV exec is gloating about how amazing it is.
okaydo
75bear said:

okaydo said:

75bear said:

okaydo said:

Yes, indeed.

Hmm... I guess it's a Yogi Berra situation where nobody goes there anymore - it's too crowded.

Yes, snl still does a lot of great things. Search youtube for the mueller ben stiller/robert de niro stuff.'

The problem is that all that power has gotten to lorne michaels' head. He also is in charge of The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and Late Night with Seth Meyers.

And he produces a million shows starring his SNL alumni, from Portlandia to Documentary now to maya and marty.

BUT....He's so powerful that NBC -- which airs the Emmys every 4 years, rotating with CBS, ABC and Fox -- let him have control of this year's Emmys.

And he decided to install his not-so-great-but-okay-on-weekend update hosts of weekend update as hosts of the Emmys. And it's going on now, and they are terrible.

And they've decided to have all the other snl alumni do their "bits" during the show, and it is terrible.

Well, i'm about to bail and watch mychael kendricks ball out on mnf.
FuzzyWuzzy
okaydo said:

75bear said:

okaydo said:

75bear said:

okaydo said:

Yes, indeed.

Yes, snl still does a lot of great things. Search youtube for the mueller ben stiller/robert de niro stuff.'

The problem is that all that power has gotten to lorne michaels' head. He also is in charge of The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and Late Night with Seth Meyers.

And he produces a million shows starring his SNL alumni, from Portlandia to Documentary now to maya and marty.

BUT....He's so powerful that NBC -- which airs the Emmys every 4 years, rotating with CBS, ABC and Fox -- let him have control of this year's Emmys.

And he decided to install his not-so-great-but-okay-on-weekend update hosts of weekend update as hosts of the Emmys. And it's going on now, and they are terrible.

And they've decided to have all the other snl alumni do their "bits" during the show, and it is terrible.

Well, i'm about to bail and watch mychael kendricks ball out on mnf.
Not to worry. He'll probably have his #metoo moment any day now...
calumnus
510 Bear said:

I still like SNL, but some people I know are all like, "Well, I don't like it, so I assume it's going off the air soon?"

And for every one of us griping about the 10:30 ET/7:30 PT start time, some TV exec is gloating about how amazing it is.

It is a 12:30 pm (Sunday) start for me, so I'm not complaining, but I like attending night games in Berkeley as long as it is not raining or too foggy.
oursdor
NVBear78 said:

There was a time when we were excited to have a big game against Oregon at night.

The really memorable Oregon night games were 2006 and 2010. They kicked off at 5p and 4:30p respectively.

We moved to the 7:30p slot for 2012 and we've given up 59, 59 and 49 at home against them in that time slot to date. No thank you.
Another Bear
One or two night games at home is okay. My objection is Cal seems to get stuck with three or four and more than half the conference schedule home and away.

A night game against a good opponent can be great. Oregon could live up to it. You don't kill the whole day. You can something to eat before hand. Early Fall in Berkeley is a great time. Late November, low 40s around midnight isn't.
BearInMotown
Bummer for us in Eastern time zone. Maybe I'll go to sleep to the sweet sounds of KALX.

Anyone have any recommendations for where I can watch a replay when I wake up on Sunday?
oskidunker
dvr it
Go Bears!
ColoradoBear
BearSD said:

Quote:

Ideally, the fix in the next contract would be that, except for the Arizona schools wanting night starts, there would be no more than one game starting after 6 pm PT and only ESPN/ESPN2 could televise a game that starts after that time. No point in forcing an unwanted late night start time for a game that has as few TV viewers as an FS1 or P12N game.

6pm games are infinitely better than 730pm games. I could see a limit on games starting after 6pm as being a good compromise that would also maintain most if not all TV revenue.

There are 14 weeks in the season. 8 sucky week night games. So that's 22 suck ass time slots. 24 teams. Would a limit of 2 suck ass time slots be do-able? Would give the allowance for 2 weeks with 2 night games and the rest with just one. That's for national nets... P12 net could schedule in accordance to the schools requests for night games. One could also throw in the provision that if an AZ school REQUESTS an night game, it does not count towards their 2 game quota.

I really think that is reasonable, but then consider the issue of close in game time announcements. That's what kills me in terms of planning. Absolutely brutal if one wants to do something else with the day. I'm wondering if they couldn't figure out a way to announce rough penciled in game times in advance. If that's night, early afternoon and late afternoon, then they can say move the kickoff times within a 2 hour window to maximize TV, you could capture most of the possibilities. 12-2pm as one window, 3-5 as another, and 6-8 as the final. Maybe allow no movement to in Sept, one date only in Oct, and all in November when the networks get Max value from the top teams (which are unknown early). Not exactly compatible with the limit on night games proposed above, but could fine tune it.

I'd also try to figure out a way to delete the Thursday games and do Friday only. Hard to get value going against the NFL (though there are some really bad NFL games on Thursday).
And definitely limit Thursday kickoff times to early evening if not possible to get rid of them - networks doing a CFB double header on a weeknight is just wrong.

AunBear89
Win more->Raise the national profile->Fewer 7:30 pm PDT game times.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
oskidunker
Cal has an exemption to Thursday night gams, I am pretty sure.

Attendance may be a problem at this game. wife and son say they may not go. friends have called me and said they are done with night games. I am kind if surprised. I will do 1 or 2 a year. The lack of Indian summer this year presents winter conditions in September.

The west sude may be sparsley populated.
Go Bears!
ducky23
I mean...it's only the biggest game since arguably Oregon 07. Cause if you win this you're looking 7-0 squarely in the face. So I don't want to hear any 730pm omg so late excuses for this one
oskidunker
agree
Go Bears!
OneKeg
ducky23 said:

I mean...it's only the biggest game since arguably Oregon 07. Cause if you win this you're looking 7-0 squarely in the face. So I don't want to hear any 730pm omg so late excuses for this one
Seriously. If you can't make it because you live far away, or perhaps age or physical issues prevent you, I get it. Or you have key kid/family responsibilities Sat. night or Sun. morning, ok, as a parent, I do understand that.

But otherwise, please consider going! The late start is going to cause my kid to have to sit this one out and he is bummed, but I will absolutely be going with at least 3 friends. Meet for a couple hours of pre-game drinks at FC and then roll up the hill. Huge game.

Oregon has more talent than us, certainly in terms of speed, and certainly at QB. We have an edge in defensive coaching, but our defense will also be the one facing the bigger challenge. We need the crowd to be an equalizer.

Go Bears!
Sebastabear
OneKeg said:

ducky23 said:

Seriously. If you can't make it because you live far away, or perhaps age or physical issues prevent you, I get it. Or you have key kid/family responsibilities Sat. night or Sun. morning, ok, as a parent, I do understand that.

But otherwise, please consider going! The late start is going to cause my kid to have to sit this one out and he is bummed, but I will absolutely be going with at least 3 friends. Meet for a couple hours of pre-game drinks at FC and then roll up the hill. Huge game.

Oregon has more talent than us, certainly in terms of speed, and certainly at QB. We have an edge in defensive coaching, but our defense will also be the one facing the bigger challenge. We need the crowd to be an equalizer.

Go Bears!
Good post. Totally agree.
smh
okaydo said:

Two words 1) Tivo, 2) It. Your call which, okay do?

Me, shoot, i'm too old to wander about in the dark.
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
Trumpanzee
Maybe if we beat the O, we will be ranked........
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.