How long before the "Wilcox is leaving" fear sets in?

6,716 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Blueblood
bearsandgiants
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Day after we beat Oregon?
diva1
the day after he was hired
Fyght4Cal
diva1 said:

the day after he was hired
LOL.

I predict after win #7
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
KoreAmBear
Let's have a winning season first before we cross that bridge.
wifeisafurd
It started when Oregon had a coaching opening last year.

Realistically, the guy hasn't even had a winning season yet.
calgldnbear
Why do people even start these ridiculous threads???
packawana
USC is probably gonna need a new HC after this season so...
Another Bear
Ah yes...the SAD News Bears are back!!!

Wilcox is already leaving, w.t.f.?

Hey I told you 4th game of the second season he was gone!

THE SKY IS FALLING...run away!!!

Jesus, go troll some girl scouts.
socaliganbear
When we field a winning team.
bearister
KoreAmBear said:

Yeah, it's like the Raider fans worrying some NFL team may be willing to pay Gruden $200 million.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
SFCityBear
wifeisafurd said:

It started when Oregon had a coaching opening last year.

Realistically, the guy hasn't even had a winning season yet.
No, but Wilcox does have a winning record at Cal so far over two seasons: 8-7
Another Bear
Why would Wilcox leave? He has facilities. He has backing from the AD and chancellor. The debt for Memorial has been parsed correctly and it's no longer a ever present and crushing threat. The debt for SAPHC is manageable. He has his guys in. He's likes the Bay Area (did he grow up in the B.A. while his father was a 49er?)....and getting a pay bump isn't as hairy as it was in the past.

Sure some people look at Cal as a stepping stone. I don't see it that way any longer now that many of the over riding problems aren't as threatening. Wilcox has to win. I think he sees what Tedford saw...this ain't a bad place at all. It's California and the Bay Area and he's getting paid well, if not at the same levels as others but that can happen.
hanky1
Cal = Only fan base in case college football that worries about losing their coach after one 5-7 season.

Actually I seem to recall a similar thread to this after Wilcox won his first game last year.

It reinforces my opinion that Cal fans are losers.
going4roses
So funny
okaydo
I wonder if a place like Cal is advantageous for a coach like Wilcox, a single guy in his 40s.

I have no idea about his personal life. Nor do I care.

At Cal, he can work hard and live anonymously without anybody bothering him or caring about whenever he does whatever he does in his private life.

In a small college town, however, he would be scrutinized whatever he does. He can't really get away. Because he'll be well-known everywhere.

I think the same goes for fellow single Pac-12 coach Chip Kelly, who gets to enjoy the anonymity of Los Angeles.

KenBurnski
okaydo said:

I think the same goes for fellow single Pac-12 coach Chip Kelly, who gets to enjoy the anonymity of Los Angeles.

Along with the diverse culinary scene. Good lord I thought Chip was supposed to be a stickler for nutrition. Maybe he is just a Lasorda type.
BearSD
okaydo said:

No one in Eugene knew that Chip had been married and divorced, apparently, so he's pretty good at being anonymous wherever he goes.

Maybe it would be a different story at one of those SEC schools with insane fans who send out FOIA requests for phone records just to have ammunition to accuse the head coach of having an affair.

okaydo
BearSD said:

okaydo said:

No one in Eugene knew that Chip had been married and divorced, apparently, so he's pretty good at being anonymous wherever he goes.

Maybe it would be a different story at one of those SEC schools with insane fans who send out FOIA requests for phone records just to have ammunition to accuse the head coach of having an affair.

That's more a product of being in a small media market, where the reporters are more worshipful. Once he headed into NFC East, where the papers include The New York Times and Washington Post, his past was going to catch up to him.

I'm talking about being around people, hanging out. If Wilcox was head coach at Oregon, and was eating dinner with a woman, it would probably be on Instagram. In Berkeley? Probably not.
BearSD
okaydo said:

BearSD said:

okaydo said:

That's more a product of being in a small media market, where the reporters are more worshipful. Once he headed into NFC East, where the papers include The New York Times and Washington Post, his past was going to catch up to him.

I'm talking about being around people, hanging out. If Wilcox was head coach at Oregon, and was eating dinner with a woman, it would probably be on Instagram. In Berkeley? Probably not.
Chip dated (might still be dating, for all we know) a woman who was (maybe still is) a University of Oregon employee, and it still didn't generate a buzz in Oregon AFAIK.
going4roses
So are you a Cal fan or not ?
hanky1
going4roses said:

Of course I'm a Cal fan. I love the university, the football team, and Cal fans.

It doesn't change the fact that Cal fans are still losers.
kingpindonuts
When he has another losing season.
Chapman_is_Gone
going4roses said:

What does your question have to do with what Hanky posted?
Chapman_is_Gone
Really dumb thread. Really dumb.
Goobear
Time to lock this bs thread
NYCGOBEARS
Amen, but this is turning out to be a great dipstick litmus test.
OdontoBear66
Probably a dumb thread as posted above, but I like what is happening with this coaching staff, and I also like to be pro active about everything in life. Do we give him more now? Probably not. Perform. But my goodness, let us be ready, for I think good things are happening. Tis' like a momentum stock on IBD that has just had a cup and handle confirmation but short of a buy point. Not now, but you damn well better be ready or you gonna miss out.
Sebastabear
After what happened with Snyder the donors won't let a great coach go - at least over money. Our capacity as a group is significant. Succeed and the world is his oyster.
Chapman_is_Gone
OdontoBear66 said:

Probably a dumb thread as posted above, but I like what is happening with this coaching staff, and I also like to be pro active about everything in life. Do we give him more now? Probably not. Perform. But my goodness, let us be ready, for I think good things are happening. Tis' like a momentum stock on IBD that has just had a cup and handle confirmation but short of a buy point. Not now, but you damn well better be ready or you gonna miss out.
With a redshirt freshman at QB, apparently no difference makers on offense, not very many difference makers on defense, and an OL that so far has been disappointing, it is far more likely that Cal is going to shi!t the bed the second half of the year -- as they too often do after starting 3-0 -- than turn into some dream team.

Comparisons to 1991 --thankfully I haven't seen too many -- are laughable. That 1991 team had 3 absolute stud offensive lineman, the most clutch Cal QB of recent history, Russell fricken White, Sean Dawkins, Willard, Zomalt, etc etc etc etc. And I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody else awesome.

In addition, it is worrisome that Wilcox can't seem to sign a player with four or five stars after his name. I like Wilcox a lot and hope he succeeds. A win over Oregon would be VERY refreshing. Let's revisit this question after the season ends.
upsetof86
Always a possibility. Chase's career might be his arc here. Classic year 3-4 moment looming.
01Bear
we now have a winner for the most asinine thread...
upsetof86
KoreAmBear said:

That's what I tried to tell Mooch but...
okaydo
01Bear said:

we now have a winner for the most asinine thread...

Wait until I start my "Do you regret not hiring Hue Jackson after tonight?" thread.
OneTopOneChickenApple
hanky1 said:

Cal = Only fan base in case college football that worries about losing their coach after one 5-7 season.

Actually I seem to recall a similar thread to this after Wilcox won his first game last year.

Didn't we lose Mariucci after one 6-6 season, and ended up with Holmoe?
calumnus
OneTopOneChickenApple said:

hanky1 said:

Didn't we lose Mariucci after one 6-6 season, and ended up with Holmoe?
. 3-5 in the PAC-10 though!

And to satisfy Okaydo, we ended up with Holmoe (DC of the worst defense in the country) instead of OC Hue Jackson because the Niners took Mooch after Hue had already agreed to be the OC at USC. Wish we hired Hue instead.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.