Who does U$C hire?

6,866 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 01Bear
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheSouseFamily said:

SC is very likely to throw big money at an established name, I suspect. With Jelly at UCLA, there will be a lot of pressure to go after a big fish. Cconsidering that a lot of SC fans were upset with the Helton hire because they didn't think he was big enough or the had the requisite swag to be the SC coach, I think they'll want to do something splashy.

But Helton is as good as gone.

The situation for them is complicated by the huge number pending lawsuits that will total in the hundreds of millions. Also, they just spent all that money on the colosseum remodel. Remember that they are also without a president at the moment. It's not going to be easy for them. Heck, it wasn't when they didn't have all these issues.
packawana
I know this sounds kind of crazy but I don't see Pete Carroll coming back as a total impossibility either. The Seahawks are on the downturn and he would still have incredible pull in LA. That being said, my understanding is the administration doesn't want a big personality like that as a coach.

But yes Jack Del Rio is going to get the job. Maybe not this year but next.
heartofthebear
Maybe they hire guys away from Purdue and/or Syracuse. Both programs are way overachieving.
Blueblood

I see another Groundhog Day
coming to Cal!
oobay
OJ. They'd have a killer defense.
caltripper
Tedford would have won more national titles then Pete with that SC talent back in the 2000s, especially with an actual budget for assistant coaches. I am deathly afraid of them getting him again, as he appears to have his mojo back.
PtownBear1
It's pretty funny how everyone on BI thinks the same 4 or 5 names will be hired for any opening.
hanky1
Jack Del Rio, Leach, Whittingham, Tedford, Orgeron.

They'll do the rest of the conference a favor and go with Del Rio because all they do is hire within the family.
FuzzyWuzzy
NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

SC is very likely to throw big money at an established name, I suspect. With Jelly at UCLA, there will be a lot of pressure to go after a big fish. Cconsidering that a lot of SC fans were upset with the Helton hire because they didn't think he was big enough or the had the requisite swag to be the SC coach, I think they'll want to do something splashy.

The situation for them is complicated by the huge number pending lawsuits that will total in the hundreds of millions. Also, they just spent all that money on the colosseum remodel. Remember that they are also without a president at the moment. It's not going to be easy for them. Heck, it wasn't when they didn't have all these issues.
What do others think of the pending lawsuits issue? Will that prevent a big-bucks coaching hire?

Here at Cal, our coaches are paid by donors in large part, no? Doesn't it work the same way at SC? And if you are the donor or donors endowing the new SC head coaching hire, isn't your donation "tagged" for that purpose? People don't give big bucks without assurances on where it will be spent. So will the fact that SC is losing its shirt on lawsuits affect SC's ability to get a big-bucks coaching hire? It is possible that the world could be falling down around the Coliseum yet there is still money for a coaching hire.
FuzzyWuzzy
FuzzyWuzzy said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

What do others think of the pending lawsuits issue? Will that prevent a big-bucks coaching hire?

Here at Cal, our coaches are paid by donors in large part, no? Doesn't it work the same way at SC? And if you are the donor or donors endowing the new SC head coaching hire, isn't your donation "tagged" for that purpose? People don't give big bucks without assurances on where it will be spent. So will the fact that SC is losing its shirt on lawsuits affect SC's ability to get a big-bucks coaching hire? It is possible that the world could be falling down around the Coliseum yet there is still money for a coaching hire.
Also: doesn't insurance cover some of the lawsuits they face? I assume the lawsuits are over that doctor sexual assault scandal.
SoFlaBear
hanky1 said:

They'll do the rest of the conference a favor and go with Del Rio because all they do is hire within the family.
Not Leach - bad with the media. He needs to be in small markets like Lubbock and Pullman

Maybe Whittingham: but is there anything in his current contract preventing him from moving within the conference?

I think Orgeron will ride the SEC coaching carousel for a while.

Tedford makes sense. It would reunite him with Clancy Pendergast, and the school recruits itself.

Jack Del Rio makes sense. Young in coach terms and an alum.

John Harbaugh and the Ravens are rumored to be parting ways. It could set up an all-family Rose Bowl.
wifeisafurd
NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

So you invest a bunch of money in facilities and cheap out on coaches? Who would ever do that?
tigertim
No hyperbole, Mike Leach is the best football coach in the country. If you gave him USC's talent he would challenging 'Bama every year. USC probably won't hire him, thank god, but they're morons not to.

Realistically - Jeff Brohm, Les Miles, Hugh Jackson. No chance Lincoln Riley leaves, right? If he would he'd go NFL.
wifeisafurd
SoFlaBear said:

hanky1 said:

Not Leach - bad with the media. He needs to be in small markets like Lubbock and Pullman

Maybe Whittingham: but is there anything in his current contract preventing him from moving within the conference?

I think Orgeron will ride the SEC coaching carousel for a while.

Tedford makes sense. It would reunite him with Clancy Pendergast, and the school recruits itself.

Jack Del Rio makes sense. Young in coach terms and an alum.

John Harbaugh and the Ravens are rumored to be parting ways. It could set up an all-family Rose Bowl.

Whitt is 58 and the talk is he is retiring in a few years. The guy that makes the most sense in this list is Del Rio.
Big C
Tedford, lol, no. Del Rio is the most likely of those listed on this thread. Don't count out Hue. It'll probably be someone not yet mentioned.
wifeisafurd
There too dumb to go after the Iowa State coach (an up and coming guy whose good with media), but what about Gary Patterson?. Worse case scenario is they open their wallet for a pissed off Urban Meyer. That would truly suck.
Cal84
>So you invest a bunch of money in facilities and cheap out on coaches? Who would ever do that?

Um.....
KenBurnski
Smashing success of a post. I lold
FuzzyWuzzy
We need the sarcasm emoji
01Bear
I think some Cal alumni should really explain to Lynn Swann that Sonny Dykes was an excellent coach who just didn't get enough support fro the school. That Dykes is the best coach ever in the history of the game. Or if Dykes is unavailable, then USC should consider hiring Andy Buh, who has proven himself as an effective leader of men, even when those players weren't as talented and phenomenal as USC players tend to be. In fact, those losses by Cal during the Dykes (and Buh) years (year) were due to the differences in the caliber of USC's and Cal's players.

It needs to be made clear to Mr. Swann that as college football fans, we'd like nothing more than to see USC returned to its rightful place in the football hierarchy, even if it means Cal has to face the most formidable coach in football history.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.