Furd

6,383 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by KenBurnski
FuzzyWuzzy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is it too early to assess our chances in the Big Game?

I watched a portion of their game last week against OSU. Their 6-7 TE Colby Parkinson(?) caught 4 TDs in the first half. He was matched up against a 5-9 DB and basically just posted the DB up, over and over. Supposedly he is not even their best TE. How are we going to defend him? Jaylinn is 6-2 I think.
ducky23
This is why this game scares me.

Against any other team in the league, I'm confident our defense has a decent chance to dominate the opposing offense.

But furds offense is just so unconventional. We could play perfect defense. All 11 players could do everything perfectly. We may have perfect coverage. But their wr's/te's may just jump over our guys and there may be nothing we can do about it. I just don't know if there's a scheme that can take away the jump ball.
Cal88
OSU made their offense look very good (just like they did with ours).

I think we will have an easier time shutting down Furd's offense than we did against recent opponents like WSU. We should win this game by 7-10 pts., something like 21-13 or 24-17.
tigertim
Don't like this matchup at all. Big receivers, good QB, and Bryce Love could just randomly return to his '17 form and run for 150 yards.
wifeisafurd
Furd is different this year. The defense is just decent (not in the league of Cal, Utah or the Washingtons), Love either ineffective or injured, and was a team they are somewhat banged-up. The last couple games against non-Oregon State opponents, they were a pass first team, and usually down the field, rather than relying on short passes. They are good at scoring TD's in the red zones on short throws to tall receivers. They have had problems running the ball all year, but they protect their QB well. Excellent special teams. Teams have been able to run on them, and their pass defense is better than their run defense. Should be a good game.
bear2034
I think Furd's pass defense is last in the conference.
Cal84
Arcega-Whiteside, Furd's best receiver was out vs. the Beavs. Not clear what his status will be this week....
Sebastabear
David Shaw may be the least creative coach in college football. He runs the exact same plays over and over. Everyone in the stadium knows what's coming. Yet he normally has the athletes to make it work. In days of yore it was three yard runs up the middle with a world class o-line. 2017 and 2018 version is the post plays to the Godzilla sized tight ends. Works very well in the end zone where they just box you out. Over and over again.

How to defend? Pressure and stunts clearly could work. But there must be other options. If anyone can figure this out it's DeRuyter and Wilcox. Given they know exactly what to expect from Shaw I firmly believe they will.
bear2034
We didn't "match up" well with any of our last 3 opponents. If Bryce Love ends up being 100% for the game, that's going to be a tough test. Their tight ends might be hard to cover in the redzone but their overall pass offense doesn't scare me. Furd should be very concerned about playing a fierce Cal defense.
calumnus
FuzzyWuzzy said:

Is it too early to assess our chances in the Big Game?

I watched a portion of their game last week against OSU. Their 6-7 TE Colby Parkinson(?) caught 4 TDs in the first half. He was matched up against a 5-9 DB and basically just posted the DB up, over and over. Supposedly he is not even their best TE. How are we going to defend him? Jaylinn is 6-2 I think.

Why don't we use 6-7 Bunting like that?

We do have a bunch of LBs that are listed at 6-4, hopefully one of them can defend their big TE.
FloriDreaming
oskirules said:

Considering Cal's pass offense is worst as well it might be sufficient.
FloriDreaming
Sebastabear said:

David Shaw may be the least creative coach in college football. He runs the exact same plays over and over. Everyone in the stadium knows what's coming. Yet he normally has the athletes to make it work. In days of yore it was three yard runs up the middle with a world class o-line. 2017 and 2018 version is the post plays to the Godzilla sized tight ends. Works very well in the end zone where they just box you out. Over and over again.

How to defend? Pressure and stunts clearly could work. But there must be other options. If anyone can figure this out it's DeRuyter and Wilcox. Given they know exactly what to expect from Shaw I firmly believe they will.

I spewed coffee out my nose from laughing when I saw a Cal fan call another team's offense predictable. At least have the sense of humor to admit we are not in a position to criticize any other team's offense at this point. We can woof all we want about defense, but as long as Baldwin is here every other Pac 12 offense is something to envy for us. Including Furd.
bearsandgiants
I predict two interceptions (by our defense) and a W.
FloriDreaming
Overall I'd say this is an even money bet, pretty much what Vegas is saying. If Cal avoids turnovers on offense and continues to be smothering on defense it'll be a dogfight to the end.

And it's BG week! Of course it's not too early to talk about it.
TomBear
Like Washington, stanfurd is a little "off" this year.

The Bears are riding a nice momentum, and probably feel like they're on their way up (as they should....they deserve it).

I'm writing this on a Monday, so it's really early and I don't know the physical condition of both teams. But I do expect a good game, fiercely played. The most dramatic and oddest games seem to happen in Berkeley, so anything can happen. And because it's Big Game, the emotions and spirit of the teams often dismisses any conventional wisdom as to the outcome.

But at this moment, as I write this, I like our chances. I think the Cal defense is still growing, and our offense is due to have at least one really decent day. Teams that have been a little "off" this season such as Washington and $C have become victims. And since stanfurd is also a little "off", and we are growing in confidence and cohesiveness, while I won't predict a Cal victory, it wouldn't surprise me at all.
wifeisafurd
oskirules said:

7th overall by NCAA index, and 9th in passing (but closely bracketed with 4 other Pac teams). I'm using this is based on an index of scoring and yards allowed, etc. Cal is first in almost every defensive category.
bearsandgiants
Curious if smoke is going to be an issue.
GivemTheAxe
TomBear said:

Like Washington, stanfurd is a little "off" this year.

The Bears are riding a nice momentum, and probably feel like they're on their way up (as they should....they deserve it).

I'm writing this on a Monday, so it's really early and I don't know the physical condition of both teams. But I do expect a good game, fiercely played. The most dramatic and oddest games seem to happen in Berkeley, so anything can happen. And because it's Big Game, the emotions and spirit of the teams often dismisses any conventional wisdom as to the outcome.

But at this moment, as I write this, I like our chances. I think the Cal defense is still growing, and our offense is due to have at least one really decent day. Teams that have been a little "off" this season such as Washington and $C have become victims. And since stanfurd is also a little "off", and we are growing in confidence and cohesiveness, while I won't predict a Cal victory, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I feel that Cal has a solid 1 in 3 chance of winning. But that is the best I have felt in years and years. Each team matches up against the other. Stanfurd has probably better players because of recruiting. But I don't think Shaw is an OK but not a very good coach.
Much like USC. Results may be the same with a close game to the very end.
Sebastabear
Uthaithani said:

Sebastabear said:

I spewed coffee out my nose from laughing when I saw a Cal fan call another team's offense predictable. At least have the sense of humor to admit we are not in a position to criticize any other team's offense at this point. We can woof all we want about defense, but as long as Baldwin is here every other Pac 12 offense is something to envy for us. Including Furd.
Predictable? I think you are confusing adjectives. If anything our problem has been we've tried throwing everything at the wall to see what will stick. Unfortunately most of it has slid to the floor.

And for the record, I didn't start watching Cal or Stanford this year. When I call Shaw predictable I've got a lot of basis to do so.
ducky23
Apparently furd's kicker may be out for the game, which is obviously huge in a game where points are probably going to be at a premium.

Against osu, the backup kicker did not attempt any fgs. But he did miss an XP.
UrsaMajor
ducky23 said:

This is why this game scares me.

Against any other team in the league, I'm confident our defense has a decent chance to dominate the opposing offense.

But furds offense is just so unconventional. We could play perfect defense. All 11 players could do everything perfectly. We may have perfect coverage. But their wr's/te's may just jump over our guys and there may be nothing we can do about it. I just don't know if there's a scheme that can take away the jump ball.
It's called a pass rush. I think the key is our DL and LBs getting to Costello early.
tequila4kapp
I've never been less worried. I don't care about match ups. Our D will impose its will on Furd, just like it has against everyone else not named UCLA.

Bears 16, Furd 7.
72CalBear
tequila4kapp said:

I've never been less worried. I don't care about match ups. Our D will impose its will on Furd, just like it has against everyone else not named UCLA.

Bears 16, Furd 7.
I like our chances. Have watched all our games and much of Stanford. Besides our defense and a very confident QB now, we have for the first time in years, maybe, SWAGGER. We have won some very big wins, and played tough recently a top 10 team, WSU. Why not come in to BG with a degree of earned confidence? We roll this time!!
510 Bear
We're still facing what I call the "luck of the evil" - which has been behind every furd win against us since 2007. They still match up well against us. They still have more talent and way better lines than we do. BUT this year's Cal team has a certain intangible factor that we didn't have in the late JT years, the Sonny years and the first Wilcox year.

It'd be great if our win over them this year is a mirror image of their win over us in 2007 (which led to much bigger things for them).
UrsaMajor
Agree that their O-line is much better, and overall they have the talent (at least on offense), but I take issue with the idea that their D-line is "way better than ours." You don't have a top-10 nationally ranked defense with an inferior D-line, and Saturday's game demonstrated that.
510 Bear
UrsaMajor said:

Agree that their O-line is much better, and overall they have the talent (at least on offense), but I take issue with the idea that their D-line is "way better than ours." You don't have a top-10 nationally ranked defense with an inferior D-line, and Saturday's game demonstrated that.
True. I probably should have said "traditionally had" rather than "have". It would be great if the gap between our lines and theirs, which has been a mile wide, is finally closing.
bluehenbear
I'm hoping for a lot of this on Saturday:

as well as some of this:

and absolutely none of this:

or this:
72CalBear
510 Bear said:

We're still facing what I call the "luck of the evil" - which has been behind every furd win against us since 2007. They still match up well against us. They still have more talent and way better lines than we do. BUT this year's Cal team has a certain intangible factor that we didn't have in the late JT years, the Sonny years and the first Wilcox year.

It'd be great if our win over them this year is a mirror image of their win over us in 2007 (which led to much bigger things for them).
"Intangible factor" meaning more heart as a team??? I agree!
heartofthebear
Cal will stop their TEs but will they be able to tackle the predictably pro-Furd slant to the officiating?
01Bear
I know it's probably not kosher of me to suggest this, but if the taller Furd receivers go up high to catch passes, the shorter Bear defenders can undercut them (on the tackle), even if it means the Furd receivers end up getting dumped on their heads. At least, this will make the Furd think twice about throwing up jump balls.
BEAR2dBONE
Get Mikey Mo to do the Natl Anthem !!
UrsaMajor
01Bear said:

I know it's probably not kosher of me to suggest this, but if the taller Furd receivers go up high to catch passes, the shorter Bear defenders can undercut them (on the tackle), even if it means the Furd receivers end up getting dumped on their heads. At least, this will make the Furd think twice about throwing up jump balls.
That's a penalty and potential ejection, depending on how it's done, because receivers going up for the ball are considered "defenseless" just as QBs.
AlbanyCardinal
Sebastabear said:

I have to agree. If Shaw has a strong, deep offensive line, a speedy, shifty RB and a plowing FB, a few good TEs, and an efficient QB, his offense works fine and sometimes great. The problem is he's in over his head otherwise. In those years when he doesn't have all these pieces in place, Shaw can't see fit to adapt to personnel or to what the defense is throwing at him. His in-game coaching also suffers when there's a short clock. He didn't know to minimize subbing agst. Udub in the final minute, for instance, which the dawgs took advantage of by eating up the clock with their own substitutions. There have been other times when he's misused timeouts in pretty obvious situations. He does not have the range of knowledge required of a good OC to understand how best to take advantage of personnel so as to keep the defense on its heels and create good offensive flow/rhythm. Do remember that Harballs demoted Shaw from OC during his tenure on the Farm.

The problem Stanford has is that our all-time winningest head coach is a stubborn MF who often refuses to acknowledge the problem staring all of us in the face. (In case you missed his presser after Udub, Shaw claimed he subbed out players at the end due to injuries. Trump himself couldn't have served up a balder lie.) To make matters worse, the current AD is not the type to even conceive of the need to pressure Shaw to delegate the offense to a proven OC (and, no, Tavita Pritchard, bless him, is not a proven OC). The state of Stanford recruiting -- and in particular Shaw's strange recruiting tactics -- is another factor in all this, but I'll spare you that for now.

For a few weeks now I've had this feeling that your Bears will end the BG streak this season. On the one hand, I see our defense doing relatively well against your offense, but I also see your stout D stifling Shaw. More than anything, I see your coaches game-planning better than ours, and your team smelling blood and playing with its hair on fire before a home crowd. For me that tips the scales in your favor. Hope I'm wrong.
NYCGOBEARS
AlbanyCardinal said:

Sebastabear said:

I have to agree. If Shaw has a strong, deep offensive line, a speedy, shifty RB and a plowing FB, a few good TEs, and an efficient QB, his offense works fine and sometimes great. The problem is he's in over his head otherwise. In those years when he doesn't have all these pieces in place, Shaw can't see fit to adapt to personnel or to what the defense is throwing at him. His in-game coaching also suffers when there's a short clock. He didn't know to minimize subbing agst. Udub in the final minute, for instance, which the dawgs took advantage of by eating up the clock with their own substitutions. There have been other times when he's misused timeouts in pretty obvious situations. He does not have the range of knowledge required of a good OC to understand how best to take advantage of personnel so as to keep the defense on its heels and create good offensive flow/rhythm. Do remember that Harballs demoted Shaw from OC during his tenure on the Farm.

The problem Stanford has is that our all-time winningest head coach is a stubborn MF who often refuses to acknowledge the problem staring all of us in the face. (In case you missed his presser after Udub, Shaw claimed he subbed out players at the end due to injuries. Trump himself couldn't have served up a balder lie.) To make matters worse, the current AD is not the type to even conceive of the need to pressure Shaw to delegate the offense to a proven OC (and, no, Tavita Pritchard, bless him, is not a proven OC). The state of Stanford recruiting -- and in particular Shaw's strange recruiting tactics -- is another factor in all this, but I'll spare you that for now.

For a few weeks now I've had this feeling that your Bears will end the BG streak this season. On the one hand, I see our defense doing relatively well against your offense, but I also see your stout D stifling Shaw. More than anything, I see your coaches game-planning better than ours, and your team smelling blood and playing with its hair on fire before a home crowd. For me that tips the scales in your favor. Hope I'm wrong.

Bless you for your honesty and candor. I hope your suspicions are correct.
01Bear
UrsaMajor said:

01Bear said:

That's a penalty and potential ejection, depending on how it's done, because receivers going up for the ball are considered "defenseless" just as QBs.

I was wondering about that. Is it a penalty to hit a jumping receiver in the thigh area from behind? That's tackling at about the defender's waist height. He'd not be spearing or targeting.

If a defender is running full speed to make a play and ends up upending the receiver from behind in the course of making a play, what's the penalty? That is, what penalty could the refs call? (That's a serious question, not a rhetorical question looking to provoke an argument.)
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.