Is Helton Done?

11,637 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wifeisafurd
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tosh as the next USC HC would be a monumental bust, hope it happens. He's basically a very slick salesman, not head coaching material, and his main strength as recruiter would pretty much be wasted at USC where the school's football aura recruits itself. Even during the bad stretches SC was loaded with talent, the issue is putting it all together.
hanky1
USC insiders are saying the decision has been made that he's coming back
KenBurnski
New favorite from Trojan board:
"Welp, people wanted more 3 stars because they work harder and want to earn their scholarships. Looks like they're going to get that wish."
71Bear
Cal84 said:

If tOSU beats Michigan, I don't think there would be any support to ditching Meyer. It's not even clear to me that if tOSU loses this weekend there would be movement amongst the alumni/fans to do that. If he's out, it would seem to be a Meyer driven decision for health reasons. And if that's the case who knows how long he'd be out.

Meyer suffers from an inoperable arachnoid cyst in his brain. It causes significant headaches. He has often said that he will step down when the headaches become intolerable and impact his ability to coach effectively. That time may be at hand. If he steps down from OSU, I don't think he will return to coaching.
GivemTheAxe
BearSD said:

71Bear said:

KenBurnski said:

There are multiple posts on the SC board complaining that their rigorous academic ambitions have hurt their football success. What a world.
Sounds a lot like what many here contend re: Cal. The fact of the matter is that rigorous academic requirements do not impeded athletic programs. Stanford is proof of that statement.
Do we really believe that Stanford turns away football recruits if Shaw really wants them? I don't.

We have been down this road before. Many of us agree with you.
packawana
I think the caveat there is when the school has a lot of money. Lots of money means no acrimony from the academic side.
hanky1
Looks like Helton is coming back
MugsVanSant
Apparently everyone has disregarded the possibility that USC will defeat Notre Dame. I have seen stranger things happen. But then I am old and have seen a lot.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
hanky1 said:

Good, he's a fine coach. I hope they keep him for a long, long time.
82gradDLSdad
hanky1 said:

Probably the old "true freshman QB" excuse. How do you not make a bowl game when every member of your team is a 4-5 star recruit? I know the answer. Apparently Lynn Swan does not.
GivemTheAxe
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

hanky1 said:

Good, he's a fine coach. I hope they keep him for a long, long time.

Amen to that. Some of his decisions as OC were totally befuddling.
One I remember was his decision late in the game on 3rd and short deep in UCLA territory (around the 30) to pass up the first down try and throw a pass into the end zone. When it was broken up he tried again on 4th down. That pass was also
Broken up.
No attempt was made to get the first down. And there was still plenty of time on the clock.
I was astonished that he didn't try to get a first down. Had he done so he still would have had time to get a TD.
Instead he turned over the ball on downs.
wifeisafurd
hanky1 said:

yet the LA media keeps saying Franklin.

I have seen this before, and I don't think a decision is made until USC gets a new (permanent) President.
hanky1
wifeisafurd said:

hanky1 said:

I have seen this before, and I don't think a decision is made until USC gets a new (permanent) President.

Franklin was gunning for the job 3 years ago when Helton got it. I doubt they make a decision w the president any time soon. They're basically in limbo now with no president, a AD that fees like a temp, and a dead man walking coach.
Cal84
It's all good. The longer they take to replace Helton, the more their recruiting process gets delayed. Anything that puts them in a no-action holding pattern is good for us.

In other news, I didn't realize this until recently, but SuC has scheduled Fresno State 3 times in the next 6 years. All at home, which Fresno State probably agreed to for a bigger payout. But now Fresno State isn't a walkover. In fact it might be one of the G5 teams that a P5 team least wants to play. Can you imagine the thoughts rumbling thru Teddy's mind if he wins those 3? LOL. Go Bulldogs.
upsetof86
Cal84 said:

It's all good. The longer they take to replace Helton, the more their recruiting process gets delayed. Anything that puts them in a no-action holding pattern is good for us.

In other news, I didn't realize this until recently, but SuC has scheduled Fresno State 3 times in the next 6 years. All at home, which Fresno State probably agreed to for a bigger payout. But now Fresno State isn't a walkover. In fact it might be one of the G5 teams that a P5 team least wants to play. Can you imagine the thoughts rumbling thru Teddy's mind if he wins those 3? LOL. Go Bulldogs.

+1M
okaydo
I think I died watching this

tim94501
Jeff Fischer would be a DUMPSTER FIRE in south central
tim94501
If he can make Goff look horrible there's not a QB in SC history he can't ruin.
NYCGOBEARS
okaydo said:

I think I died watching this

Please, please, please!
Another Bear
Holy Hell is that the voiceover track from a Matthew McConaughey Lincoln commercial?

Well yes, yes it is. How ironic given MM is a big Texass fan...but it says a lot about how cheese ball U$C fans are. Who pimps a ding dong VO track from a seriously weird car commercial? U$C do!

82gradDLSdad
tim94501 said:

Jeff Fischer would be a DUMPSTER FIRE in south central

No, no,no, Jeff Fisher would be a great hire for SC. God, I hope they don't get this great, great coach.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
Crap, if they hire Jeff Fisher, I'm afraid we'll see a return of the Carroll-era USC teams. That would be a nightmare. Gawd I hope they don't hire Jeff Fisher!
okaydo
OK, just to be clear (if it isn't obvious already): This is a joke. Big Cat is not a USC alum. He's co-host of one of the most popular sports podcasts, Pardon My Take.
Another Bear
Likely nonsense but it keeps the clicks clicking.

ColoradoBear
Another Bear said:

Hue Jackson?! But no Jefe Tedford?
Another Bear
ColoradoBear said:

Hey they got Pete Carroll on the list, so you know it's REALISTIC.
bear2034
Stay classy SC. Plane flying over Coliseum.

ColoradoBear
oskirules said:

Stay classy SC. Plane flying over Coliseum.

Since you have to pay by the letter, that's quite civilized adding the 'please'.
bear2034
Were like 0 for 99 going for 2.
bear2034
Happy for moe
hotlanta
Don't know yet about Helton, but Fedora is out at UNC. Losing to Cal will get you a one-way ticket out of town.
Blueblood

"Helton looks done to me!"
wifeisafurd
hanky1 said:

wifeisafurd said:

hanky1 said:

Franklin was gunning for the job 3 years ago when Helton got it. I doubt they make a decision w the president any time soon. They're basically in limbo now with no president, a AD that fees like a temp, and a dead man walking coach.
As a practical matter that may be true. Depends on whether the Board of Trustees, in response to overwhelming donor/alum pressure, acts by repacking Swan (probably with JK McKay), and hires a name coach. They have a lot of new luxury boxes to fill and right now we know long time season ticket holders (some who really matter in SC circles) who have made it well known they intend to not renew. Like most private schools, SC tends to be responsive to where they get their money.
82gradDLSdad
Blueblood said:

"Helton looks done to me!"

If you can't get SC to a bowl game with your recruiting advantages you should be fired. Period.
wifeisafurd
ColoradoBear said:

Another Bear said:

JT probably to Colorado if he is willing to leave FSU
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.