Is Helton Done?

11,720 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wifeisafurd
Golden One
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Now that lowly UCLA defeated SC 34-27, Helton must be done as SC head coach. UCLA rushed for 313 yards and gained a total of 479 yards. After losing to Notre Dame next week, SC will have a 5-7 record and miss out on a bowl game. Great!
wifeisafurd
Golden One said:

Now that lowly UCLA defeated SC 34-27, Helton must be done as SC head coach. UCLA rushed for 313 yards and gained a total of 479 yards. After losing to Notre Dame next week, SC will have a 5-7 record and miss out on a bowl game. Great!
Even iff he isn't due to the buy-out, Clancy sure is gone.

But yes, $15 million is small price to pay to fit those new luxury boxes.
Robocheme
I sure hope not. Cal needs him to stay
Fyght4Cal
Clay, we hardly knew ye.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Gkhoury2325
wifeisafurd said:

Golden One said:

This could very well happen. I'm guessing both Coordinators are fired along with a few position coaches before Helton is fired. They very well may try to upgrade. Don't be surprised if they try to offer Tosh Lupoi the DC job.
Strykur
Gkhoury2325 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Golden One said:

This could very well happen. I'm guessing both Coordinators are fired along with a few position coaches before Helton is fired. They very well may try to upgrade. Don't be surprised if they try to offer Tosh Lupoi the DC job.
Tosh is paid a ton of money in Tuscaloosa, why would he come to SC to be under a coach on the hot seat? That is nonsense, unless they actually offer him the job (which would drive the boosters bananas).
Trumpanzee
Maybe Wilcox will hire him and them fire him!
Gkhoury2325
Strykur said:

Gkhoury2325 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Golden One said:

Tosh is paid a ton of money in Tuscaloosa, why would he come to SC to be under a coach on the hot seat? That is nonsense, unless they actually offer him the job (which would drive the boosters bananas).

Maybe you are right? Lupoi has been in Alabama and could get just as much as any DC in PAC 12 like Levitt at Oregon, who makes 1.5 million. 400k more than Tosh. I could see him going there. Almost came back to Cal 2 different times. Donors may not want him not sure.
packawana
If Tosh goes to SC it's going to be as a head coach. He's about to become the senior DC at Bama. He gets to soak in more Saban.
NYCGOBEARS
packawana said:

If Tosh goes to SC it's going to be as a head coach. He's about to become the senior DC at Bama. He gets to soak in more Saban.

SC one of the few schools that don't need To$h to recruit well.
72CalBear
Helton no doubt will stay but will clean house with everyone else.
SoFlaBear
USC is 5-6, and Notre Dame is formidable. Not making a bowl is unacceptable at SC. I say he's gone.
upsetof86
Reducing the number of 6 win teams in conference helps us. I could care less what SC does with CH. They need to lose again next week.
tim94501
packawana said:

He's already the DC isn't he?
KenBurnski
There are multiple posts on the SC board complaining that their rigorous academic ambitions have hurt their football success. What a world.
chazzed
That is rich.
packawana
He's co-DC and I don't think he's being billed the main driver behind that defense, unlike say Venables or Aranda.
berknolongerclaimusc82
I believe the hesitancy of Lynn Swann to fire Clay is that the Board of Trustees at USC is focused on finding a new president after Nikias stepped down in the aftermath of the sexual assault abomination with George Tyndall. I don't believe Swann wants to make a major coaching change until everything at USC is finalized administratively. After a loss to a 2-8 UCLA team, where a Bruin ran for 200+ yards against a Trojan team for only the 2nd time in the history of the rivalry, I don't think Swann has any choice. Clay is gone in my opinion.
bencgilmore
95% chance he's a dead man walking.

that said, if they beat notre dame and get to a bowl...
FuzzyWuzzy
SadbutTrue999 said:

95% chance he's a dead man walking.

that said, if they beat notre dame and get to a bowl...

FuzzyWuzzy
KenBurnski said:

There are multiple posts on the SC board complaining that their rigorous academic ambitions have hurt their football success. What a world.
Science is liberal propaganda.
News is fake.
And SC academic rigor is the reason their football team sucks.

Makes sense to me.
okaydo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_Helton#Coaching_tree

UCBerkGrad
Helton was gone after losing to Cal....UCLA loss just further reinforced his fate.
UCBerkGrad
berkusc82 said:

I believe the hesitancy of Lynn Swann to fire Clay is that the Board of Trustees at USC is focused on finding a new president after Nikias stepped down in the aftermath of the sexual assault abomination with George Tyndall. I don't believe Swann wants to make a major coaching change until everything at USC is finalized administratively. After a loss to a 2-8 UCLA team, where a Bruin ran for 200+ yards against a Trojan team for only the 2nd time in the history of the rivalry, I don't think Swann has any choice. Clay is gone in my opinion.
Helton is a Swann guy. Good friends. That's the only reason he probably hasn't been fired yet.

Friendship isn't enough. Won't matter how the season ends for them. He is gone.
Trumpanzee
(Hell)ton yes! If Swann keeps him, he might as well go down with the ship as well!
71Bear
KenBurnski said:

Sounds a lot like what many here contend re: Cal. The fact of the matter is that rigorous academic requirements do not impeded athletic programs. Stanford is proof of that statement.
aweissburg
I tend to think that Helton is not gone. He did well when he stepped in and their program is on the mend generally. I think before they dump him they would start with attacking their assistants. Losing to us, while maybe optics are not great for alum, is not shame. We have a great defense and they have had an issues. Daniels actually has some future. Giving up that many points to UCLA, largely running isn't acceptable. Look for new DC. All I can hope is that our D recruits are watching
PiLam 86, #not4years
BearSD
71Bear said:

KenBurnski said:

Sounds a lot like what many here contend re: Cal. The fact of the matter is that rigorous academic requirements do not impeded athletic programs. Stanford is proof of that statement.
Do we really believe that Stanford turns away football recruits if Shaw really wants them? I don't.
71Bear
BearSD said:

71Bear said:

KenBurnski said:

Do we really believe that Stanford turns away football recruits if Shaw really wants them? I don't.

Shaw is smart enough to know that he should not waste time recruiting guys who do not meet Stanford's requirements. Similarly, Wilcox does not waste his time recruiting guys who would not be admitted to Cal.

As JT said once - things started go downhill once he started recruiting academic risks.
okaydo
I'm reading this thread as Brennan Scarlett picks off Alex Smith
Cal84
The more I think about, the more it seems to make sense to me that SuC should hire Tedford. He could keep Pendergast and hire a more discount priced OC, since he (Tedford) would be the de facto OC anyway. And the offensive side is where they need the fixes. I don't think Del Rio fixes that.

That's not to say that it will happen. SuC would have to get over their inbred hiring tendencies. And who knows if JT wants to play game of thrones again? The logical alternative would be Harsin from Boise. He wouldn't cost that much.
wifeisafurd
BearSD said:

71Bear said:

KenBurnski said:

But they generally recruit from a different pool than SC.
Another Bear
Reports are out that Urban Meyer is out at tOSU. My guess is he sits a year, then signs with a top 10 program, like U$C. Thus the Toejams holds on to Helton for a year and starts to court Meyer.

Can $C afford Meyer, and would he go there? What's the word on the $C forums? They must be peeing their pants just talking about it.
Cal84
If tOSU beats Michigan, I don't think there would be any support to ditching Meyer. It's not even clear to me that if tOSU loses this weekend there would be movement amongst the alumni/fans to do that. If he's out, it would seem to be a Meyer driven decision for health reasons. And if that's the case who knows how long he'd be out.
Strykur
Meyer looks out of it but really silly to speak of him as a coach gone when he has everything to still play for.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.