Who is NOT rooting for the team starring Jared and CJ and why not?

20,631 Views | 175 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Another Bear
Bear19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Goff playing in the Super Bowl. Mahomes watching on TV. Take that, Goff doubters.
79 Bear
ducky23 said:

Forget coaching. We should get all of our money together and just hire Romo as our fund manager. I've never seen anything like this. Is Romo from the future?

I didn't get to see or hear his comments. Was he calling the plays before they happened again?
kirklandblue
Numerous times that I saw, never seen that before.
okaydo
TouchedTheAxeIn82
OMG
ducky23
He basically called the entire last drive. It was uncanny

okaydo
4 of 6 Super Bowls featuring a Cal RB:

2014 - CJ Anderson, Marshawn Lynch
2015 - Shane Vereen, Marshawn Lynch
2016 - CJ Anderson
2019 - CJ Anderson
Another Bear
Romo has been doing that all season. He obviously knows what he's talking about. He was a QB but he also gets to talk with both teams before each game as prep. That's why when the Niners hired Lynch as GM, Pete Carroll said it wasn't kosher since he had relatively fresh intel on the Seahawks. The difference however seems to be Romo communicates things very well and he does the prep work, knowing the game plan and what would work. Conversely, you have Jason Witten...his former teammate sounding like a complete idiot.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
TouchedTheAxeIn82
bearister
ducky23 said:

Forget coaching. We should get all of our money together and just hire Romo as our fund manager. I've never seen anything like this. Is Romo from the future?

He drew his super powers from Jessica Simpson.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Another Bear
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

Coming from a Cal guy...that has extra meaning.
sycasey
RhetoriCal Bear said:

Yes, and they weren't claiming blatant p.i. until they showed that one angle that everyone is now focusing on. They did show the other angle briefly afterwards and it looked much closer.

All I know is that I was 100% certain a flag was coming out when the play happened live (from the zoomed out upper-deck camera angle), and then was stunned that it didn't. None of the replays made it look any better.
82gradDLSdad
Did anyone else notice how many crossing (ie. pick) plays NE ran? That's what you call when you have no fast receivers. Maybe Tony Romo could be our OC.
sycasey
Another Bear said:

Romo has been doing that all season. He obviously knows what he's talking about. He was a QB but he also gets to talk with both teams before each game as prep. That's why when the Niners hired Lynch as GM, Pete Carroll said it wasn't kosher since he had relatively fresh intel on the Seahawks. The difference however seems to be Romo communicates things very well and he does the prep work, knowing the game plan and what would work. Conversely, you have Jason Witten...his former teammate sounding like a complete idiot.

Romo has been a great announcer since he started last season. He single-handedly elevated the top CBS team to being the best booth in football, both by getting the block of wood named Phil Simms out of there and also reviving Jim Nantz's pulse (before that it was probably NBC with Michaels and Collinsworth).
Another Bear
Agree, Romo is good, knows how to have a conversation...big improvement over Sims with Nantz. The other analyst who is on top of things is Charles Davis, on Fox's second team.He use to do the Pac12 and remember him being smart, insightful and not an idiot then. So nice to see talent and prep get rewarded.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
Oh I just discovered Stephen Anderson and Brian Schwenke are on the Patriots. Anderson was on the practice squad but was activated for the last couple of games. Schwenke is on injured reserve.
CaliforniaEternal
Such awesome games today. Goff is the man!

I thought Mcvay's decision not to go for it on 4th and goal from inside the 1 yard line was a near disastrous call. With 5 minutes left in the games down 17-20, you gotta go for it because a couple of first downs and you don't get the ball back. Reminded me of so many lame Tedford calls.

Also, it's hardly surprising that the subject of the non-call is a $C guy. Their defensive players just aren't the brightest lot out there.
sycasey
Another Bear said:

Agree, Romo is good, knows how to have a conversation...big improvement over Sims with Nantz. The other analyst who is on top of things is Charles Davis, on Fox's second team.He use to do the Pac12 and remember him being smart, insightful and not an idiot then. So nice to see talent and prep get rewarded.

Yup, always liked Davis too. I think pairing him with Buck might liven things up on Fox, as Troy Aikman also fits the "block of wood" description I applied to Simms.
okaydo
This will be the first time a Patriots will face a Sonny Dykes QB in the Super Bowl since 2018.
calumnus
82gradDLSdad said:

Did anyone else notice how many crossing (ie. pick) plays NE ran? That's what you call when you have no fast receivers. Maybe Tony Romo could be our OC.

Yep, crossing patterns and rubs. Cant believe how many people think it is all on the WRs to "get separation" without a play designed to help them do that.
Bear_Territory
That roughing the passer call called on the chiefs was...uhh?
sycasey
Bear_Territory said:

That roughing the passer call called on the chiefs was...uhh?

And then the refs upheld that Hogan catch that probably hit the ground.
ducky23
calumnus said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Yep, crossing patterns and rubs. Cant believe how many people think it is all on the WRs to "get separation" without a play designed to help them do that.

Yeah I've been saying this for awhile. Sure, some is talent, some is playcalling, but no one brings up play design.
79 Bear
ducky23 said:

TouchedTheAxeIn82
B.A. Bearacus
bearister said:

okaydo
Aaron Rodgers in NFC Championship games (all on the road):

1/23/11 @Chicago: 55.4 passer rating
1/18/15 @Seattle: 55.9 passer rating
1/22/17 @Atlanta: 91.6 passer rating

Goff in NFC Championship game:
1/20/19: @New Orleans: 83 passer rating

Just goes to show that if you draft a cheap replacement for Goff and he turns out to be elite, that even elite players haven't played well in championship games (though Rodgers did end up winning his only Super Bowl after sucking in Chicago).

sycasey
B.A. Bearacus said:

bearister said:

Clear the defender TOUCHED the facemask here, not clear he GRABBED it or used it to help make the tackle. Incidental 5-yard facemask penalty no longer exists.

Honestly, the more I look at it the more I'm fine with this no-call. If people want to equate this to the missed PI call . . . not even close.
okaydo
I have no idea if this story criticizing Carson Wentz is true or not.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/carson-wentz-exclusive-sources-paint-eagles-quarterback-as-selfish-not-team-player/

But when people say Goff is easily replaceable, I don't think they understand his abilities as a leader. Goff will forever be painted as a moron (thanks to NFL Films' Hard Knocks) or a puppet (thanks to NFL Films catching McVay instructing Goff through the headset vs. the Texas last year).

But he's a humble player that people want to play with....I think that goes a long way, off the field.

TouchedTheAxeIn82
ducky23 said:

oski003
Cal88 said:

It's a clear PI regardless, the DB makes no attempt whatsoever at the ball and decks the WR.

Great ending to the AFC game, after KC scored their last TD with 2:15 to spare, I thought they scored too fast. Turned out NE scored too fast after that...

No, that's not true at all. The rules of football allow you to tackle a receiver without going for the ball. You just have to time it right.
CaliforniaEternal
The Chiefs have no one to blame but themselves. The refs should not have called that roughing penalty because it's the playoffs but it was a call on 2nd down in the middle of the field. Chiefs had plenty of chances to make a stop.

The Chiefs DB's were all over Edelman and Gronk the entire game. They got plenty of slack from the refs on that but that trio of Brady, Gronk, and Edelman is one for the ages.
Another Bear
As the media has already touched on...the NFL needs to revise OT rules. Given the new rules to protect the QB and promote offense...the NE/KC game was won at the OT coin flip. Brady marched down the field and Mahomes probably could as well...IF he got the ball. KC should have at least a chance to score.
Radical Bear
Jordan sacking Goff was a Cal on Cal crime.
StillNoStanfurdium
sycasey said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

bearister said:

Clear the defender TOUCHED the facemask here, not clear he GRABBED it or used it to help make the tackle. Incidental 5-yard facemask penalty no longer exists.

Honestly, the more I look at it the more I'm fine with this no-call. If people want to equate this to the missed PI call . . . not even close.
https://twitter.com/camdasilva/status/1087120351098781697/video/1

If you look at it in motion I think you see that the defender gets a finger into the facemask and that Goff's head is actually turned by the act. Definitely could've impacted how much ground he would gain, if only by a bit.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.